Customizations wont save as ini files to HD

Options
EIlvira - Heavens Tear
EIlvira - Heavens Tear Posts: 74 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Support Desk
Well I've encountered a slight problem that is starting to bug the **** out of me.

I don't know if anyone else has.

Now, I'm sure most people know about editing the ini files using a text editor, and in some contexts this isn't considered bannable as long as it is within what the game already allows. Like say, I want to change my veno from a bat to a kitty body type instead. I've tried saving my veno's customization settings and that works just fine, I can find it in the menu and everything. But in order to change the body I need to open the file in a text editor an change it to a cat body number which isn't hard, right? Well recently it looks like some sort of change was made to the game. It doesn't save these ini files to your harddrive anymore, instead it must save to an outside source. Say, the server?

I dunno but... either way it annoys me. I don't want to have to create an entirely new veno and recustomize everything about her to look like my original just to get this other body type. And this is just one example of this sort of customization being impossible.

Is this a bug or is it permanent? I would like my ini files please!! ><
Post edited by EIlvira - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    So you are saying that you have had to edit your ini files to try and chage the appearance of your existing character?
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • jaeseu
    jaeseu Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I think what she meant was that in the .ini files, for a veno anyway, to change the body style (i.e. bat, kirin/deer/pink horns, veno with long/short tail, cat, bunny) is to edit the number.

[Body]
    bodyID = (number 1-5 or something here)

1 I think is the bunny, 2 fox, 3 deer maybe? etc etc, I don't remember them all. And as long as you just change the bodyID, facial features, body features etc, except the animal type (the bunny bat, etc), will stay the same.

Anywho, EIlvira, in the userdata/character folder, there are two customization folders, one that just says customize and the other says customize1. Are you making sure you're saving in customize and not customize1? Also, are you saving it as .ini and not .txt or another format?
  • SinCityChick - Dreamweaver
    SinCityChick - Dreamweaver Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Isn't that technically bannable? I mean, they have Makeover Scrolls for that kind of thing...why would people buy them if they could edit the .ini files...?
    For those times when *facepalm* and *headdesk* just aren't enough, I present...*brickhead*...painful, effective, and guaranteed to make you forget why you hit yourself in the first place.

R.I.P.:
    SkyLight (faction)
    Andracil (teh BEST MOD EVER!)
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Isn't that technically bannable? I mean, they have Makeover Scrolls for that kind of thing...why would people buy them if they could edit the .ini files...?

Yeah I'm pretty sure changing the .ini files, even if it's to something you can normally make ingame, is against the rules. Otherwise, makeover scrolls would be pointless. It doesn't sound like she CAN'T edit it normally, just that she doesn't want to pay for the scroll...I could be wrong though and misreading entirely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • darthpanda16
    edited April 2010
    Options
    EIlvira ??
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    @Aadi:
    actually the body types reset the entire character in a preset even, and if all you want to do is change from bat to cat and leave the rest alone it's not possible without editing the ini, characters are saved on the servers not locally as far as I know.
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I just saved a new preset and it was saved locally.

I believe that manipulating .ini files in such a way so that the result is still fully possible within the in-game editor was said to be OK at one point.

The example was changing the animal type of a veno and sharing .ini files between classes.
    Editting the .ini files locally does not change the appearance of your character which is stored on the server. You still have to use a scroll and apply the preset to your character.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • darthpanda16
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Please note, editing any game files outside of the ones for graphic settings when having problems is bannable.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    @Aadi:
    actually the body types reset the entire character in a preset even, and if all you want to do is change from bat to cat and leave the rest alone it's not possible without editing the ini, characters are saved on the servers not locally as far as I know.
    I just saved a new preset and it was saved locally.

I believe that manipulating .ini files in such a way so that the result is still fully possible within the in-game editor was said to be OK at one point.

The example was changing the animal type of a veno and sharing .ini files between classes.
    Editting the .ini files locally does not change the appearance of your character which is stored on the server. You still have to use a scroll and apply the preset to your character.

I understand why someone would want to do it in this particular case, to keep the options she already has, but I don't understand how even if it's within the rules it would be allowed, because that would make the idea of spending gold on a makeover scroll obsolete. The only time I've seen it be okay is when you're starting a new character and you move the old .ini to a new folder so you can use the same customization for a different class.

I never saw the one about the changing the animal type of a veno. Does anyone know where a GM said that, so I could know for future reference?

Also, if it's as you say Asterelle, I totally understand. I never really looked into .ini files and how they work, so if you still need to spend the gold to apply it I think I get it b:cute

Edit: Ninja'd by a GM. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
  • Teumessia - Heavens Tear
    Teumessia - Heavens Tear Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    She isn't trying to edit her character without a makeover scroll. She is trying to create a preset, and then use a makeover scroll to apply it.

The reason she wants to do it via .ini files is because she wants to keep all her current customizations i.e face, hair, body, colours etc and only change the animal type i.e fox, cat, rabbit etc. Changing the animal type in the character editor will make all the customisations go back to default, so she wants to avoid all the trouble of redoing the customizations all over again by simply changing the number in the .ini file that corresponds to the animal type.

At least that's what I understood from her post.
  • EIlvira - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yeah I'm pretty sure changing the .ini files, even if it's to something you can normally make ingame, is against the rules. Otherwise, makeover scrolls would be pointless. It doesn't sound like she CAN'T edit it normally, just that she doesn't want to pay for the scroll...I could be wrong though and misreading entirely.

>< Talk about twisting my words lol.

Of course I'd purchase a makeover scroll. IT's the only way to edit my character.

I mean to edit the ini to change strictly the bodytype number. IE, Body type 1 = fox or one of those, 2 = bat, etc. I don't remember exactly it'd be something I'd have to look up again.

If this is indeed considered bannable I didn't know.

I'm not trying to edit my character without purchasing a makeover scroll. >_>; I wouldn't cheat PWE that way. i've already spent hundreds on this game lol.... So it would be unlike me to try and rip them off.

All I'm saying is, if I were to makeover my veno (yes using a makeover scroll), and wanted to change her to the cat bodytype, the only way to do it within the game editor is to select a preset and build from the bottom up again. Instead of this, I wanted to use my existing character file and edit only the body type instead, it would be easier on me, and my patience. lol.

But if I'm doomed to start from scratch again forget it. ><;
    She isn't trying to edit her character without a makeover scroll. She is trying to create a preset, and then use a makeover scroll to apply it.

The reason she wants to do it via .ini files is because she wants to keep all her current customizations i.e face, hair, body, colours etc and only change the animal type i.e fox, cat, rabbit etc. Changing the animal type in the character editor will make all the customisations go back to default, so she wants to avoid all the trouble of redoing the customizations all over again by simply changing the number in the .ini file that corresponds to the animal type.

At least that's what I understood from her post.

^
    That's exactly what I meant. Thank you ^^;
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    >< Talk about twisting my words lol.

Of course I'd purchase a makeover scroll. IT's the only way to edit my character.

I mean to edit the ini to change strictly the bodytype number. IE, Body type 1 = fox or one of those, 2 = bat, etc. I don't remember exactly it'd be something I'd have to look up again.

If this is indeed considered bannable I didn't know.

I'm not trying to edit my character without purchasing a makeover scroll. >_>; I wouldn't cheat PWE that way. i've already spent hundreds on this game lol.... So it would be unlike me to try and rip them off.

All I'm saying is, if I were to makeover my veno (yes using a makeover scroll), and wanted to change her to the cat bodytype, the only way to do it within the game editor is to select a preset and build from the bottom up again. Instead of this, I wanted to use my existing character file and edit only the body type instead, it would be easier on me, and my patience. lol.

But if I'm doomed to start from scratch again forget it. ><;

See, that's why I said I could be wrong, and in a later post I said I didn't realize that that was the intention or how you would go about applying it. Like I said, I'm not too familiar with .inis and I didn't realize that you would still be using a makeover scroll so PWI probably doesn't care too much anyway. =P

I have no idea if using it in that way is bannable either though. o_o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EIlvira - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Options
    See, that's why I said I could be wrong, and in a later post I said I didn't realize that that was the intention or how you would go about applying it. Like I said, I'm not too familiar with .inis and I didn't realize that you would still be using a makeover scroll so PWI probably doesn't care too much anyway. =P

I have no idea if using it in that way is bannable either though. o_o

Yeah I saw that now. Sorry. Was upset people were completely misunderstanding me lol. XD I've never intended to rip off pwe so... suggesting that I might made me worried.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Was my fault. I posted before I fully understood how they worked.

Now I want the GM to expand on his post though. b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EIlvira - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Options
    jaeseu wrote: »
    Anywho, EIlvira, in the userdata/character folder, there are two customization folders, one that just says customize and the other says customize1. Are you making sure you're saving in customize and not customize1? Also, are you saving it as .ini and not .txt or another format?

Also, yes, that's exactly what I've done. I can find all the original presets there as well, just not my newly saved files. I save my venomancer's customization while I'm in the game, and when I go to look in the customize/31 (I think it is for veno), I can't find the file i just saved. And I've tried it for all the different races.

I can't even delete existing files either from the game. I can delete them manually of course but, just not from the game. It'll remove it from the list until I exit the character editor, but once I go back in all the files I thought I deleted are there again.

I don't know if it's an issue with my element program entirely or if this is a known bug or change to the game itself they intended to make.

Though if other people are saying they don't have this issue, I'm starting to think it must just be me lol.

The only other thing I could do to really test this would be to download PWI all over again and then wait for it to update. :/ Even though I really don't want to mess with that lol. I think I'll just suffer with keeping my characters as they are.
  • jaeseu
    jaeseu Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lol...>< if you read my post...

"Anywho, EIlvira, in the userdata/character folder, there are two customization folders, one that just says customize and the other says customize1. Are you making sure you're saving in customize and not customize1? Also, are you saving it as .ini and not .txt or another format?"

Check if your preset is in userdata/customize/31...not userdata/customize1/31. I never really tried to see if it works in customize1 'cause I know my presets are in customize, and I don't know if that has anything to do with it...but worth a try?
  • TeresaSyri - Heavens Tear
    TeresaSyri - Heavens Tear Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    going to reply with my other account, this is confusing lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EIlvira - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2010
    Options
    jaeseu wrote: »
    Lol...>< if you read my post...

"Anywho, EIlvira, in the userdata/character folder, there are two customization folders, one that just says customize and the other says customize1. Are you making sure you're saving in customize and not customize1? Also, are you saving it as .ini and not .txt or another format?"

Check if your preset is in userdata/customize/31...not userdata/customize1/31. I never really tried to see if it works in customize1 'cause I know my presets are in customize, and I don't know if that has anything to do with it...but worth a try?

Anyway as I was saying...

Yes I'm looking in the right folder. I meant the normal customize directory, not customize1. My bad. I am not looking at it in front of me at the moment but, when I do it's pretty obvious which directory is correct... one has no customization files in there at all, where the other does.

What I'm saying still holds true however. But it doesn't really matter since I still can't save new custom data from the element client onto my harddrive to even think about editing it to begin with...

So this whole discussion is sort of pointless.

If the GM says it's bannable to change something like this anyway, I guess I shouldn't even be asking about this here lol...

I don't really see why wanting to change an existing preset from one body type to another, keeping all the other data about facial customizations etc, is bannable, but ok.

I'll just rest my case. b:surrender
This discussion has been closed.