Level 79 skills

Options
Baalbak - Dreamweaver
Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Barbarian
First off, I apologize if this has been discussed before ... I've tried searching for "level 79 skills" and didnt see any matching titles in the search results.

Any rate - I've decided to take advantage of the double drops and token event to grind some coinage up to get some apocalypse page and 10 medium inks, and am now ready to make one of the level 79 skill books. Not sure when I'll be able to afford the second one, but my question now - before I make either one - if you could only have ONE skill (Untamed Wrath or Violent Triumph) which would it be?

From the descriptions - it seems as though Untamed Wrath is like a second "roar" skill with an added "1 second stun" although it sounds like it doesnt do any damage actually. Could be useful for Zhen, RB, FC type squads - and when the fit hits the shan. Essentially a good "tank" skill for PvE to protect your squad (possible TW benefits as a catapult puller???)

Violent Triumph definitely sounds like a good PvP/TW skill since it can make me immune to movement impeding stuff. But what "other status ailments" does it work on? Would it make me immune to something like polearms wicked debuff, or silence?

What are the cool downs on these skills respectively, and can they be done in both humanoid and tiger form?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Retired..
Post edited by Baalbak - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I don't have violent triumph yet, trying to save up the 1mil spirit needed.

Untamed wrath is a humanoid skill that builds aggro and stuns kinda, the stun is so short you won't ever notice it. I use it in frost all the time, works pretty good in my opinion.

Not sure about violent triump, still need more spirit before I can learn it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Both are human skills.

Wraith doesn't do dmg, as said before just an aoe stun that kinda gives some agro.

Triumph can be used in pvp but also works in instances like rbs, bh dungeons, my guess fcc & so on. Pretty short duration though. Think 10 secs or smth, not logged on now.

I'm sure there were threads before on this, just not recently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If having to choose only one of the two, personally, Triumph be the way to go. If you pvp alot it can be a handy skill to have in the arsenal to use every once in awhile.

Wrath be a complete waste of time (just one barb's opinion) since while it does build a tiny amount of agro, is it only useable in humanoid form. Not sure about you, but Fuzzy tanks in true from 100% of the time.. Never had a situation when in humanoid form it was necessary to waste the chi for "more" agro and a 1 second stun...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kephras - Heavens Tear
    Kephras - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It really depends on you.

As stated before, both are human-only skills.
    Both have a cooldown of 1 minute (60.0 sec)
    -Triumph is good for PvP and negating things like Bishop freeze in FF. It also works in conjunction with Invoke so you don't get the Slow effect from turtling. (Cast Triumph and immediately swap/turtle) I can't recall, but I think Triumph negates the slowdown entirely, so even if you burn 5 seconds of movement-immunity changing and using Invoke, the Slow from Invoke is already removed for the full 20 seconds.
    --100 Mana
    --Costs 50 Chi
    -Wrath has a wider area than Roar, and can be used from up to 10 meters away. I've found it's quite handy in gathering piles for grinding, stun-cancelling casters (Swing is 50/50 at best), and from what I've seen it has a larger radius than Roar as well. Long channel time though.
    --400 Mana
    --Gains 30 chi on use

I have both, but for my money I use Wrath a lot more. As an aggro skill it's not fantastic, but it has uses, especially in conjunction with Roar - but where I really think it shines is tanking. The chi gain from using it (while Frighten is in cooldown) is significant, and you can swap to human, Wrath, and swap back without any real risk (as long as you do it between boss channel attacks). I try and do it as often as the cooldown allows, since it allows me to keep up FR and devour constantly. And keeping the boss debuffed makes everything go faster :)
    -A word of caution though: at 400 mana it WILL eat your pots and/or spirit charm like no tomorrow.
  • Korsov - Heavens Tear
    Korsov - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I am also looking at using the cheap apoc page prices right now to snag one of these two skills in the near future. I am curious if triumph also makes you immune to sleep. The dreaded sleep+demon spark+wield thunder combo from my demon cleric friends has owned me on more than one occasion. If triumph DOES stop sleep, then I can't wait to see the look on my friend's face when I walk right through his sleep skill and smack him around b:victory

*Edit* wtf? I havent been level 88 for a few weeks >.>
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I am also looking at using the cheap apoc page prices right now to snag one of these two skills in the near future. I am curious if triumph also makes you immune to sleep. The dreaded sleep+demon spark+wield thunder combo from my demon cleric friends has owned me on more than one occasion. If triumph DOES stop sleep, then I can't wait to see the look on my friend's face when I walk right through his sleep skill and smack him around b:victory

*Edit* wtf? I havent been level 88 for a few weeks >.>
    As far as I'm aware it stops sleep, but it doesn't stop mages seal.

If having to choose only one of the two, personally, Triumph be the way to go. If you pvp alot it can be a handy skill to have in the arsenal to use every once in awhile.

Wrath be a complete waste of time (just one barb's opinion) since while it does build a tiny amount of agro, is it only useable in humanoid form. Not sure about you, but Fuzzy tanks in true from 100% of the time.. Never had a situation when in humanoid form it was necessary to waste the chi for "more" agro and a 1 second stun...

Dunno how you do it but whenever I do a big pull on frost I just use invoke > roar > normal form > untamed wrath > sunder

Invoke pretty much makes me invincible for 20 seconds so switching to normal form doesn't ever harm me, use untamed wrath and switch back, unless if I'm lagging then I have around 10 seconds left of invoke once I switch back. By the time invoke wears off I'll be at full HP again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Dunno how you do it but whenever I do a big pull on frost I just use invoke > roar > normal form > untamed wrath > sunder

invoke > roar > surf > sunder

... no need to waste effort switching to humanoid and back. Fuzzy gets your logic there, but in the case of a frost pull, if you have any kind of half way good party, the mobs from the pull are dead so quick its just a waste of chi to use wrath.

If its taking long enough to kill the pull that you need to worry about agro control, something is a bit off.... and if its not, why burn the chi and the time to transform, use wrath, then transform back..

(again, this just one barbs opinion)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kephras - Heavens Tear
    Kephras - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ...its just a waste of chi to use wrath.

Fuzzy: Wrath does not consume chi. It actually gives you 30 chi on use. Triumph consumes 50 chi. Not sure where you're getting the idea you lose chi by using Wrath.
    As for Surf, vs. swap & use Wrath: even maxed, Surf's hit radius is pretty small - and centered on the mob you hit. Wrath has a much larger radius and is centered on you. The 1sec stun can also cancel casters (not really good for anything else, IMO).

I won't contest opinions though, especially where Frost is concerned - I avoid the place like plague.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Fuzzy: Wrath does not consume chi. It actually gives you 30 chi on use. .

Could be right on that one, Fuzzy hasn't been online for a few dayz.. me will proceed to remove foot from mouth if wrong. It is a skill Fuzzy has but has more or less ignored since about 30sec after acquiring.
    b:surrender

edit: yup... just logged in and Kephras be right... Fuzzy had em mixed up. Goes to show what a bad memory mixed with painkillers can do to an already absent minded barb.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If only I always had a halfway decent squad for FC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    o0 I dont get whats so hard about Frost.... When i first acquired the quest at 75ish I went in after an 85+ cleric opened it for us (but didnt stick around) and we zhenned the mobs fairly well with myself, an archer using BoA, cleric with BB, and a veno with noxious..

then the other night I went in to help some others finish a run - two venos, a psychic, and a BM as DD. I just ran through 3 groups of mobs getting hit only a couple times -> bestial rage -> roar -> frighten -> sunder -> surf impact -> (BM used HF at this point) -> swap to humanoid -> swell -> Slam -> onslaught -> garrote -> swell -> mobs were dead.

nobody really got hurt too much though the BM did take aggro with HF. but the way i see it personally is that a barb really cant hold aggro on 20+ mobs at once when everyone is aoe'ing the **** outta stuff. I may revise my placement of roar for use when people start getting hit too much.

but yeah, back on topic -- I ended up getting untamed wrath when i thought that no one was going to replyb:cry I'm less than thrilled at the cost of it for what it does. Should either have a lower cool down period like 15-20 seconds, or else a longer stun duration -- for what it costs. I mean ... for ****s sake a BM gets AoE stun that lasts longer, can be learned earlier, and costs far less. I don't get quite why barbs have to wait till level 79, have 1 million spirit, and 1.05 mil coins + 20 apoc pages, in order to learn this skill. Maybe im just not looking at it right - but after getting it, i cant really think of an occassion where its a must have skill.

Fortunately my calaxes and thunderbolt axes sold in AH and I've managed to get my Violent Triumph book made.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Cirax - Dreamweaver
    Cirax - Dreamweaver Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I have both, but if I were to have one of them, I'd choose Violent Triumph. It has great uses in PvP/Duels. It can be also used in TW when the you, as the cata barb, are running through stun towers and saving the apoth cooldown for attacking the crystal.

I found Untamed Wraith pretty useless. I only use it as a long-range aoe-channeling interrupter thingamajig. In any zhen, it's a good tool to stop the aoe's temporarily. Other than that, I use it as a really really awful substitution for a BM stun if a zhen is missing a BM :S
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.

~Albert Einstien
  • Bulldowzah - Dreamweaver
    Bulldowzah - Dreamweaver Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i got violent triumph and i use it quite alot

in pk and pve, fc bishops nd stuff
    9x Barb
    6x Seeker
    6x BM
    6xCleric
    [SIGPIC]http://i38.tinypic.com/nco6ts.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • ZoanoAce - Lost City
    ZoanoAce - Lost City Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i got violent triumph and i use it quite alot

in pk and pve, fc bishops nd stuff
    ^This b:victory
    ●Barb - The "natural" leader. Cool and collected, slow to anger, and typically jovial. Swift to act when friends' lives are in danger, and prepared to lay down his life if the situation calls for it.

End of lvling, starting of the unimaginableb:laughb:victoryb:coolb:cool