Can a brother get a BOW:D

Options
bkloes
bkloes Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Blademaster
Ok....so I have been **** around with alts. I have tried to find something in here...but fist BM requires alot of dex and so does the ranged weapons. What is the result of a bow/fist mix?

Currently I have an axe BM, and as I have added dex (as advised) I find I like switching up to use the faster fists.......I hate how things run away, which got me thinking about adding a bow to the mix:D As you can see I struggle with making a commitment to 1 weapon, character or women:D
Post edited by bkloes on

Comments

• Astoru - Heavens Tear
    Astoru - Heavens Tear Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You can use a bow for lulz, but the damage will be pitiful.
    ●Wizard (Male) - Fasditious and pretentious, carries the arrogance of intellectual superiority. Feels the need to remind everyone of his world-ending power, but grows a little manic and unhinged when he finally is allowed to unleash it. "Ahh-hahahahaha!! NOW YOU ALL BURN!!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You can use a bow for lulz, but the damage will be pitiful.

I use a Unicorn... I added a 2nd socket and put immaculates in it and got it to +3 on mirages.

My patk is 2598-3793. Sure, it comes nowhere near an archer in terms of damage, but it sure is useful.

In duels, I can beat 8x archers with hell spark. Also low 9x arcane. For PvP it's worthless and kind of a joke. Well, I did take out a 6x barb who attacked me at west gate with it once, but I'd never use it for anything but PvE.

Wish I could afford the dex to equip 80 gold bow. lol
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    There isn't many instances where a weapon with 20m range and terrible attackrate would really benefit you. You'd probably do more damage per hit with fists...
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You can have many uses for bow, how usefull it is, will depend a lot on your imagination.

-Exploding mobs.

A good sample of these are the mobs from FB39 and some mobs from the Demon instance. What you do to avoid the explotion is to hit the mob until just a bit of its hp is left. then stun it with roar, then leap back and use your bow to kill it while stun (you can also use a genie skill to attack from range or stop him from moving). It will not even explode.

-pulling

If you go to a place and the mobs are spaced out, you can pull them with the mob. A good sample of this is that you are AOE grinding and sudendly you see another mob close by and you want to bring him to the BBQ too. You just pull it with bow.

Nasty and Constroversial uses:

-TW:
    I have killed only two people in TW (yeah, it is shamefull to admit but is true,b:chuckle). One of them was a veno which I killed with my bow, funny she was running in circles around me and she was killed like in 3 or 4 shots I think. She was not sure who was hitting her.

-Grinding on limited mobs:

Ok, lets say that you are grinding on Kraufis Scouts (water mobs). These mobs are spaced out and usually 2 or 3 people are grinding on them (yeah, the few who know these mobs have good drops). What you do is to locate your toon in the center of spawn area and use your bow to pull the mobs to you. Keep in mind the bow has a range of 20m, if you hit the mob first, the mob will go to you. This is way quicker than swimming to each mob.

I did this against a barb who thought he would beat me as he had swim mastery. After a while, he got his own bow too.b:laugh

-FCC:

if you go to FCC, there are some flying mobs there. You can kill them with a good bow rather than watching others do it. The stupid exploding hands can be taken care with the bow too.

-AOE from Boss is killing you.

If the AOE from a boss is killing you or you are stealing agro from boss. you can attack with your bow too and built chi with it.

-Grinding 1v1 on strong melee mobs.

Right now as level 91. Sometimes, I go to grind some level 101 mobs (some lizards which I dont recall the name). I do like 5 hits prior facing them with my fists. This might not sound like much but keep in mind that you already have the mob with 5% less hp and you have not received damage, neither used MP or Chi. On the opposite you are making chi with the bow.

To make this work keep your bow as you would do with any other weapon on your "skills bars". You would be surprised in how many people still dont know how to switch weapon or anything else through the skill bars.
  • PinkSuccubuS - Lost City
    PinkSuccubuS - Lost City Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    BEST STATS i think think of is 5dex 5str each 2 lv just 2 wear ur armor ur lv rest 2 dex u wont we near bow ur lv but close rest is finding extra dex stats and boila u can euqpi a bow ur lv have fun with itb:laugh
    edited April 2010
    Options
    There isn't many instances where a weapon with 20m range and terrible attackrate would really benefit you. You'd probably do more damage per hit with fists...

Frost, Argenweave Mantis at marriage quest. Making nubs who try to PvP or duel you look silly. For the lols. You're right, it's not used often, but often enough to have one as a ranged attack is better than no attack at all...

Bane + hell spark + bow = pretty decent damage potential for a short span.
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I use a Unicorn... I added a 2nd socket and put immaculates in it and got it to +3 on mirages.

My patk is 2598-3793. Sure, it comes nowhere near an archer in terms of damage, but it sure is useful.

In duels, I can beat 8x archers with hell spark. Also low 9x arcane. For PvP it's worthless and kind of a joke. Well, I did take out a 6x barb who attacked me at west gate with it once, but I'd never use it for anything but PvE.

Wish I could afford the dex to equip 80 gold bow. lol

I actually swung the last few level ups before 100 towards dex, just for the sole purpose of using Soulsmasher for fun :) Not too much of a hit damage-wise, and a gloom proc early on would be very nice. Or to kill a kite happy annoyance.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You can have many uses for bow, how usefull it is, will depend a lot on your imagination.

-Exploding mobs.

A good sample of these are the mobs from FB39 and some mobs from the Demon instance. What you do to avoid the explotion is to hit the mob until just a bit of its hp is left. then stun it with roar, then leap back and use your bow to kill it while stun (you can also use a genie skill to attack from range or stop him from moving). It will not even explode.

You could always use Drakes Ray/Spirit Chaser/farstrike
    -pulling

If you go to a place and the mobs are spaced out, you can pull them with the mob. A good sample of this is that you are AOE grinding and sudendly you see another mob close by and you want to bring him to the BBQ too. You just pull it with bow.

?? Yeah because you want to switch from fighting all the mobs to adding just one more and getting hit while luring it to yourself. Better solution would be to just run over to him.
    Nasty and Constroversial uses:

-Grinding on limited mobs:

Ok, lets say that you are grinding on Kraufis Scouts (water mobs). These mobs are spaced out and usually 2 or 3 people are grinding on them (yeah, the few who know these mobs have good drops). What you do is to locate your toon in the center of spawn area and use your bow to pull the mobs to you. Keep in mind the bow has a range of 20m, if you hit the mob first, the mob will go to you. This is way quicker than swimming to each mob.

I did this against a barb who thought he would beat me as he had swim mastery. After a while, he got his own bow too.b:laugh

Leaps work in water. Then use Drakes Ray/Spirit Chaser/farstrike.

-FCC:

if you go to FCC, there are some flying mobs there. You can kill them with a good bow rather than watching others do it. The stupid exploding hands can be taken care with the bow too.

You could always use Drakes Ray/Spirit Chaser/farstrike. And besides once you aggro the mob all you have to do is run away from it and it comes down..and you can melee.

If the AOE from a boss is killing you or you are stealing agro from boss. you can attack with your bow too and built chi with it.

Aggro control should be something easy to learn to control. And pots/sutra and the group cleric should take care of your health needs.
    -Grinding 1v1 on strong melee mobs.

Right now as level 91. Sometimes, I go to grind some level 101 mobs (some lizards which I dont recall the name). I do like 5 hits prior facing them with my fists. This might not sound like much but keep in mind that you already have the mob with 5% less hp and you have not received damage, neither used MP or Chi. On the opposite you are making chi with the bow..

Lure with drakes ray. Stun hit...leap back...drakes....and you don't have to switch weapons.

And yes I have a bow...and I only use it for laughs. (Or to kill snowmen....damn...where are those snowmen.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You could always use Drakes Ray/Spirit Chaser/farstrike

?? Yeah because you want to switch from fighting all the mobs to adding just one more and getting hit while luring it to yourself. Better solution would be to just run over to him.

Leaps work in water. Then use Drakes Ray/Spirit Chaser/farstrike.

You could always use Drakes Ray/Spirit Chaser/farstrike. And besides once you aggro the mob all you have to do is run away from it and it comes down..and you can melee.

Aggro control should be something easy to learn to control. And pots/sutra and the group cleric should take care of your health needs.

Lure with drakes ray. Stun hit...leap back...drakes....and you don't have to switch weapons.

And yes I have a bow...and I only use it for laughs. (Or to kill snowmen....damn...where are those snowmen.

Correct.

There are many ways of doing the same thing. However, an arrow only costs 2 cents plus some minor bow repairs. (you cant go cheaper than that). And of course you get many arrows for free.

Using BM skills cost you MP and Chi than you can use for other things. For me Chi is sacred, very important to replenish my HP and to use on my damage skills.

Look, that none of your solutions are cheaper than mine and you are even mentioning the word "cleric", which I have not mentioned on my solutions.

We can even argue that a bow makes more damage than drake ray (and even far strike), as the bow will do several hits while drake bash will only do once and again the bow is cheaper.

edit: I use the wrong skill and I change it from drake bash to drake ray.
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I see your point.....but I only mentioned cleric cause you were talking about a boss. I would assume most people take clerics in a squad to fight boss's XD.

I hardly ever use Drakes bash to stun. I prefer to use Demon Roar of the Pride. Never fails. XD

And well that's all I have to really say.. xD

Have a great day!
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I see your point.....but I only mentioned cleric cause you were talking about a boss. I would assume most people take clerics in a squad to fight boss's XD.

I hardly ever use Drakes bash to stun. I prefer to use Demon Roar of the Pride. Never fails. XD

And well that's all I have to really say.. xD

Have a great day!

hey, I like the critics.b:laugh

Probably, the best way to get converts to the BM fists/bow cult.b:laugh

You too have a great day.b:victory

btw, I edited previous post as I meant drake ray rather than drake bash.
  • bkloes
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lol...there is a cult? I need to gain acceptance......That is exactly what my alt is and why I brought up this question. I find it works well.....draw them to me switch and kill.....with the fist dexterity I thought the bow might do good damage....I since made an **** also which are overpowered it would seem. I have never gone from level 0-20 so easy:D
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    bkloes wrote: »
    lol...there is a cult? I need to gain acceptance......That is exactly what my alt is and why I brought up this question. I find it works well.....draw them to me switch and kill.....with the fist dexterity I thought the bow might do good damage....I since made an **** also which are overpowered it would seem. I have never gone from level 0-20 so easy:D

well, when it was known prior the expansion came up that sins would be based on dex. I mentioned that sins would be hitting very hard with the bow due to the high dex.

This does not work as well for the BM as we based on STR but still ok if you make a controversial built.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    -Exploding mobs.

-pulling

If my lv70 BM could solo the fire lane in bh59 you honestly shouldn't care about this one much. Pulling = genie. If you can pull with a bow you could pull with anything... and what AOE is gonna kill you? Only few I can think of would still **** you since 20m range is terrible.

And no, running up to a mob and punching it to death and only using sparks for sutra/double/triple spark will save you time and inventory space. Yes it could be used in water, but why would you waste over 20 stat points just to wear a slightly better bow? hh70 is not worth wasting stat points for.
    Frost, Argenweave Mantis at marriage quest. Making nubs who try to PvP or duel you look silly. For the lols. You're right, it's not used often, but often enough to have one as a ranged attack is better than no attack at all...

Bane + hell spark + bow = pretty decent damage potential for a short span.
    Can stick with a 3 star lowbie bow or the 52ish mold one or something for most of these.

No clue what skills supposedly use chi which a bow would solve... and the few instances where it does have a use a lower level bow does the job. There's absolutely no point in wasting time building your char around it.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • bkloes
    edited April 2010
    Options
    well, when it was known prior the expansion came up that sins would be based on dex. I mentioned that sins would be hitting very hard with the bow due to the high dex.

This does not work as well for the BM as we based on STR but still ok if you make a controversial built.

I have made a variety of characters because I struggle to pick just one....So far I like the BM with a dexterity build using fists and bow. My main character is standard axe build, following the increase in dexterity that is suggested. Thus I can use some bows and fists but below my level currently. Has a high dexterity BM been tried much? I was looking at the numbers and BM gets more evasion per dex than archer and more hp also...The information on sins is not listed but I assume its better....The fists are the fastest attack in the game correct? So they will give the best D/s?

Please don't misunderstand my original post was not to mislead just to simplify my question about a BM with a bow as a weapon.

Thank you
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Can stick with a 3 star lowbie bow or the 52ish mold one or something for most of these.

No clue what skills supposedly use chi which a bow would solve... and the few instances where it does have a use a lower level bow does the job. There's absolutely no point in wasting time building your char around it.

Well the 3* or 52 mold don't do anywhere near the damage of the lvl 70 bow. When I opened my lvl 50 Supply Stash, I picked General Sumers long bow... I was already 7x-8x when that came out, so I didn't need the other weapons. I liked this bow so much that I decided I wanted something better. I also use the bow to gather the mobs in GV as well. Works for me.

I didn't build my char for it, I stat for my claws, had enough extra from gears, especially when I got my CoA ring, I had just enough dex to for the bow. So instead of restatting a few points I wanted to have the Unicorn. I'm happy with my decision and I do use it somewhat regularly.

Also, having a bit of -int makes it even nicer.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If my lv70 BM could solo the fire lane in bh59 you honestly shouldn't care about this one much. Pulling = genie. If you can pull with a bow you could pull with anything... and what AOE is gonna kill you? Only few I can think of would still **** you since 20m range is terrible.

And no, running up to a mob and punching it to death and only using sparks for sutra/double/triple spark will save you time and inventory space. Yes it could be used in water, but why would you waste over 20 stat points just to wear a slightly better bow? hh70 is not worth wasting stat points for.

You dont need a high level bow to pull (so any BM built will do), I dont know how to explain that an arrow only costs you 2 cents.b:chuckle and the bow has a range of 20m. You cant go cheaper than this.

Can you explain me any way of pulling that cost less than 2 cents?

No clue what skills supposedly use chi which a bow would solve... .

if you read above somebody was suggesting to use any of the "leap" skills or sprint to pull. Any of those is more expensive to pull few mobs. Of course, if the quantity of mobs is high and close by, running fast is way better than bow.
    There's absolutely no point in wasting time building your char around it.

Of course, there is a good reason for me to do what I do. My own fun.

This is not a job (this is a game), you make the builts that allow you to enjoy the game on your terms. Notice, I;m not telling anyone to use my built. I'm just telling some of the uses that I have with my bow as the OP mentioned.

True, in the game you have a role to play and as long you can meet that role, your toon is ok.

BTW, when I have gone with other BM's or barbs to FB39. Its funny how idiotic they feel when I can avoid most of the explotions (not all, since I do user errors) by my method. While they go and take every explotion.

The same situation on FCC, most BM simply watch the flying mob getting killed.

Also, most BM's at lower levels cant help on their own FB and stay way behind while every body is having fun. At least with the bow, you feel that you are part of team and not just the tabber as they are called.

If you want to play your BM like 99.99999999 percent of the BM's out there, that's your choice and I respect it. However, I dont have fun that way.b:victory
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well, depending on if you demon spark, and what bow you use, it could end up working pretty nicely anyways. Two main nice ones would be Soulsmasher for low dex req, or CV bow for distance debuff. Only prob with CV is having to sacrifice str for dex.

Soulsmasher works nicely thanks to its proc. Gloom should add a 1 multiple to damage formula, which when the lack of bow mastery is .6, leaving .4 or 60 dex left over. So when it procs, it is as if you had lvl 10 bow mastery and 60 higher dex for damage purposes. And any spark reduces the over-all effect of having lower stats in the primary stat of the weapon anyways. So really with Soulsmasher, it's not too bad a weapon to mess around with, and to keep from being too predictable. Plus killing an archer with a bow is just funny.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

• Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    bkloes wrote: »
    The fists are the fastest attack in the game correct? So they will give the best D/s?

For first question see this tread:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=279561

However, for the second question is a matter of debate due to builts, formulas and situation.

why built?
    BM damage with BM weapons is based on STR. A fist built is usually different than a axes built. While axes will hit harder per hit and miss more and with a slower attack rate, the fists will hit weaker per hit but will miss less and a higher attack rate.

However, assuming like in my case that my character can use both latest weapons of fists and axes. I will always do more DPS with my fists than with my axes. Its not even a contest.

Why situation?

if you are figthing a running mob like those runners in FB79 or the archers close to tusk town, you are better off attacking first with your sword or axes, since you will most likely only do 1 hit prior mob start running again. Fists damage is noticed with time and will work great after mob is stationary only.

Why the formulas?

even though you can find formulas on this forum about how damage is calculated, it is not confirmed and by experience I have realized is not reliable in PVP.

The damage I do with my fists on another character gets nerfed way higher than my axes or sword (I know is a big claim but hopefully this can be confirmed). Aparently, buffs, armors, shards have a lot to do with this.

My thinking is that the damage on PVP works like something like this (again, I cant prove it):

damage ouput value by offensive character= X
    defence output value by defensive character= Y

Final damage= D=X-Y

notice, on this formula the higher the value of X, the less nerfing you get. So, axes would do more damage than fists on this formula.

However, most people think that the defence value of the defensive character is a % rather than a fixed value. Then fists and axes would be nerf the same way, giving the advantage to the fists. As the formula would be: D=%X

but again in PVP, people dont use normal attacks as much, they are just spawning skills over and over lol. So, the argument is kind of pointless anyways.
  • Drunken_Chu - Dreamweaver
    Drunken_Chu - Dreamweaver Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options

good video, it explains more than 1k of words lol.

I will name you prophet of the BOW BM CULT.b:thanksb:victory
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Eh, already got Unicorn, it kinda bites. Soulsmasher is where it gets interesting. Main thing for group pvp is if you have a larger amount of melees in group, you don't all gather in one place begging for a BID. So many times in videos, you see that happening; or them falling to Roars and other AoE skills. With bow, I can aim for same target, without making any one spot too juicy a target for my team's death.

• Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    Neodaystar - Sanctuary Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The unicorn is perhaps the crappiest bow to use for archers from level 70-80, Most would use the sling shot wind and clouds (unfortunately that is an archer weap only). However, another good alternative to Unicorn for a bm would be a 3 star Crescent Moon Bow. It's an easy find in the AH, and usually does have a nice bonus proc effect along with a few other good added bonuses. You can also try to craft your own Crescent moon that will offer - dex requirements to use it, along with a chance for -0.1 attack interval (but of course -must be very lucky).

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/5572

For the CH:S bow - a better alternative would be the green frost bow Vast Land (cost less than a CH:S last time I checked on my server). The dex required to use it is a few more points than CH:S if you are willing to spend a few more dex points for alot more bow damage. Someone had done a calculation comparison of the damage from Vast Land on the archer forum, and its dps is higher than that of CH:S. Vast Land's attack damage range is as good as the TT90 bow when both weaps are +5. Plus, you can sell Vast land if you decide not to use it, but the CH:S is bounded upon use.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2zzhi04.png
  • Ranfa - Dreamweaver
    Ranfa - Dreamweaver Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    While back a guildie and I decided to take on Luminoc Architect with lvl 42 Ornamented Bows for fun, using only Demon Sparks, without any external heals.
    I only had about 5.4k hp but ticked charm only once as after a few Demon Sparks Luminoc was toast. b:victory

Bows do half decent damage, and it's kind of nice to not have to use energy or genie's stamina to pull.