Drakes Ray

Options
Tawnos - Dreamweaver
Tawnos - Dreamweaver Posts: 261 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Wizard
I have been trying to duel blademasters of my level (36) but i keep loosing to theirs drake ray! Any suggestion about what I am doing wrong?
Post edited by Tawnos - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    - you're dueling at low levels
    - you're dueling a BM
    - you're dueling a BM at low levels

You don't have Force of Will, your distance shrink is maybe lv1-3 or something, your stone barrier isn't even max and your pdef/HP are ridiculously low.

Mages still suck at your level, pretty much. You're probably not doing anything wrong, you just need to level up and get your skills and then get pdef ornaments and some gear with +pdef.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Leveling too fast is never 'smart'. But dueling that low down is bad for morale, wizards are skill based.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Worst part is duels are mostly about target control. It doesn't matter how high your damage is if your attacker is keeping you stunned with 50 damage hits. Only things you can do for target control are Force of Will and Sleep, both of which are usually not leveled much till 70-80+. So all you can do it kite... which requires Distance Shrink. You're pretty screwed in duels if you have none of those.
  • Tawnos - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2010
    Options

Mages still suck at your level, pretty much. You're probably not doing anything wrong, you just need to level up and get your skills and then get pdef ornaments and some gear with +pdef.

If I re-stat to LA will that makes a significant difference at my low level?

I was beating blademasters near my level in pk when I was your level, but I have alway been doing things "wrong", and I spent a month being level 35. This was how I looked a few minutes before I leveled (with my stone barrier active): http://yfrog.com/jxl35j

Most people would be smart and would have spent that month leveling but I wanted to build my reputation so I was doing one man armies until I could not stand doing them any longer.

I am doing this with my stats points: 8 MAQ + 1 VIT + STR. Is that Wrong? Any other suggestion about my build?
    . So all you can do it kite... which requires Distance Shrink. You're pretty screwed in duels if you have none of those.

I have Distance Shrink level 2. I should kite running in straight line or run in a different direction after each attack?
  • Salpix - Harshlands
    Salpix - Harshlands Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well, to begin it's be a great idea if you explore the skills you have at the moment, perhaps upgrade them if you can. If you're an Arcane Armored mage, yeah his physical hits will hurt you. But ideally you can hurt him too with what you got as well, just learn new ways to make your skills at its best level. b:cute
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If I re-stat to LA will that makes a significant difference at my low level?

I am doing this with my stats points: 8 MAQ + 1 VIT + STR. Is that Wrong? Any other suggestion about my build?

I have Distance Shrink level 2. I should kite running in straight line or run in a different direction after each attack?
    - Restatting to LA would make a pretty big difference yes. But nowadays leveling is much faster than before and LA is just a pvp build, you're on a pve server where there's no random PK. It's probably not worth restatting.

- That's fine, though I would cap VIT at 53 base. That way you'll have extra HP without losing too much damage and if you decide you want to go pure magic you'll be able to restat it all out at once.

- Kiting in different directions doesn't really help much... just move backwards. If you're in the air, dropping may help. If you're on the ground, jump onto rocks/buildings/etc, it helps if you keep them slowed.

But yeah don't expect to beat BMs at your level. In my opinion... stay arcane and just focus on leveling and raising your skills. Maxing pyrogram, gush, stone rain and stone barrier with help a lot more than anything else.
  • Tawnos - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2010
    Options
    - Maxing pyrogram, gush, stone rain and stone barrier with help a lot more than anything else.

Can I use stone rain on duels? It have a very long casting time I think!