Grinding for coins. How do you do it?

Ilwyn_ - Dreamweaver
Ilwyn_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 432 Arc User
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
I've been reading a lot of topics here, and supposedly if you're at my level (which is 68, not 65) you should be bringing in 100-300k a day. It's kind of dangerous for me to grind because of my...squishy condition, so I mostly run around collecting mats and attempting to sell them.

My question is - how do you make that much money per day? I only get about 120 coins per kill, which means after killing 10 monsters that's only 1200 coins. I'm not QQing, just wondering.
Post edited by Ilwyn_ - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Asheera - Raging Tide
    Asheera - Raging Tide Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    There are dq drops as raw coins also if you sell them to NPCs.

Although yes I do agree with you about what people tell they make an hour... like 300k per hour is too much, I can barely make that with double drops if lucky. So I would appreciate some tips from those also, or what they grind (even advice for level 9x would help for me to know in future b:thanks)
    First 103 on Raging Tide 30 Oct 2010
    Quit.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Well, it is not actually the coins you are grinding for, but the drops that make you more coins. I pick up the coins as well, often only in the hundreds, but the DQ items that drop (and sometimes expensive mats like reinforced leather) is what will make you the 100k that you are going for.

It is not always as easy as everyone makes it out to be, however. Now, with double drops on, I make a max of 100k per hour of grinding no matter what mobs I choose (have tried many around my level range). And that is with higher level DQ items dropping, and I kill fairly fast. So I'm not sure what techniques the people making 300k an hour are using.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Qlngfu - Archosaur
    Qlngfu - Archosaur Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    It is not always as easy as everyone makes it out to be, however. Now, with double drops on, I make a max of 100k per hour of grinding no matter what mobs I choose (have tried many around my level range). And that is with higher level DQ items dropping, and I kill fairly fast. So I'm not sure what techniques the people making 300k an hour are using.

aoe grind perhaps..killing 1 at a time gives around ~100k after picking up and npcing everything, making around 150k with double drops. (includes repair and recovery powders)

aoe grinding however generates alot moreb:surrender i can kill 20-ish mobs with the same time i normally use on 4-6mobs, i even use less pots. so that would make around x4 times the coin+alot xp ~.^
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Can't speak for others, but I'm making anywhere between 800k-1mil an hour during 2x by AoEing the **** out of things.

Simply put, kill faster. As much as that may sound like a really stupid suggestion...it's the only was to bring in more money. >.O
  • Rillien - Heavens Tear
    Rillien - Heavens Tear Posts: 569 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Also, some mobs drop better than others. I just used trial and error to find mobs that had a lot of dq drops, but if you're grinding on the wrong type of mob you'll have less success.

It seems like people tend to exaggerate their income from grinding, or at least make it sound easy for everyone, which isn't necessarily the case. Venos with nixes, pure magic clerics, bms with hp charm will generally be far faster and able to make these outrageous sums easier than other classes.
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I've been reading a lot of topics here, and supposedly if you're at my level (which is 68, not 65) you should be bringing in 100-300k a day. It's kind of dangerous for me to grind because of my...squishy condition, so I mostly run around collecting mats and attempting to sell them.

My question is - how do you make that much money per day? I only get about 120 coins per kill, which means after killing 10 monsters that's only 1200 coins. I'm not QQing, just wondering.

I'm able to make around 250k per hour. But that is only because i'm grinding in high lvl area's (20+ my lvl). This allows me to gain good exp (w/ hyper stone), and get mats that most people my lvl aren't able to get.

The main thing you have to learn to do, is that if you find out a certain mob has a high rate of dropping DQ items, just farm the hell outta them until you get around 150+ of that DQ item(s). Then when you get how many ever you stopped at you go to the NPC's (merchant, blacksmith, tailor, etc.) and sell all of it at once.

This in turn will allow you to make tons of cash an hour and have no problems :)
  • Torges - Sanctuary
    Torges - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Okay I'm a newb, and this is maybe a stupid question: I know how you can post a comment/reply on a Thread, but i don't know how you can post your own Thread. xd So please someone tell me how you can make a Thread.

Thank you! b:victory
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I aoe grind without charms (its kinda of pointless using charms when grinding for coin...) I try and get Buffs from friendly people to help out. And I've been using the blessings from the attendance lady.

I use apothecary Hp/Mp regen if I don't have cleric buffs...sometimes even if I do. And I farm those myself...unless I get lazy then I'll just buy some herbs...doesn't happen often...but if time is money you have to weigh how much you could have earned when aoe grinding compared to farming herbs....blah...

I make about 400-600k an hour. And during this time I take breaks. Fight mobs 1v1 (for chi). I assume if I went to a more difficult place to grind and if I had a cleric friend I could bring in a couple extra 100k due to not needing to stop as much or build chi on the occasional mob.

Anyways...past two days i've made a couple million with little effort.

I wish I had access to 3rd past map. But whenever I'm on....i can't got to second past map due to the darn time restraint.....sigh....maybe today....maybe today....
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TeddyCustard - Heavens Tear
    TeddyCustard - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I get at least 100k - 200k an hour grinding if I'm not lazy. Sometimes, I can get about 500k - 1m in 1-2hrs from helping with FBs/BHs (can do 2-4 BHs/FBs with 1-2hrs if my friends are on) and I usually get a mold drop within those BHs. So I get my coin from basically mold drops, idk how they drop frequently, I guess I'm lucky. But I haven't played for at least 2 months, so I learn about the economy again :( hopefully molds increased instead of decreased...
    "Truth is, everybody is gonna hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for"
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I get at least 100k - 200k an hour grinding if I'm not lazy. Sometimes, I can get about 500k - 1m in 1-2hrs from helping with FBs/BHs (can do 2-4 BHs/FBs with 1-2hrs if my friends are on) and I usually get a mold drop within those BHs. So I get my coin from basically mold drops, idk how they drop frequently, I guess I'm lucky. But I haven't played for at least 2 months, so I learn about the economy again :( hopefully molds increased instead of decreased...

Drops are the same (when it's not 2x drops :D), but the molds have gone down in price. A lot.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    i have made over 300k an hour solo on double drops...also when my bm was in the lvl range of grinding on seaweed theifs i would also make 300k+ an hour...in 2 hours when stuff was cheap i could have a new mp/hp gold charm and a couple more training scrolls.
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • Legendadry - Harshlands
    Legendadry - Harshlands Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I aoe grind without charms (its kinda of pointless using charms when grinding for coin...) I try and get Buffs from friendly people to help out. And I've been using the blessings from the attendance lady.

I use apothecary Hp/Mp regen if I don't have cleric buffs...sometimes even if I do. And I farm those myself...unless I get lazy then I'll just buy some herbs...doesn't happen often...but if time is money you have to weigh how much you could have earned when aoe grinding compared to farming herbs....blah...

I make about 400-600k an hour. And during this time I take breaks. Fight mobs 1v1 (for chi). I assume if I went to a more difficult place to grind and if I had a cleric friend I could bring in a couple extra 100k due to not needing to stop as much or build chi on the occasional mob.

Anyways...past two days i've made a couple million with little effort.

I wish I had access to 3rd past map. But whenever I'm on....i can't got to second past map due to the darn time restraint.....sigh....maybe today....maybe today....

Do you triple spark and aoe? In my early lvls i tried aoe grind and it didnt work out to well. usually the cost far outweighs the profit.
    I dont level Slow I just enjoy the game b:surrender
    edited April 2010
    I play around with triple spark; double spark, heavens flame, sutra...

what i've found is that its better to either double spark or HF saving a spark for sutra and some chi for roar of the pride.

I use leap back to grab a breather at times so I can re-stun and finish off the group.
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Torsay - Sanctuary
    Torsay - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Can't speak for others, but I'm making anywhere between 800k-1mil an hour during 2x by AoEing the **** out of things.

Simply put, kill faster. As much as that may sound like a really stupid suggestion...it's the only was to bring in more money. >.O

I find level 92-98 the best for making money as cleric.

We are just OP now. :)
  • axt57
    axt57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I seriously don't remember the last time I have ground for coins.

Other more efficient ways of making money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    axt57 wrote: »
    I seriously don't remember the last time I have ground for coins.

Other more efficient ways of making money.

Like ?
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Like ?

AoE grinding is decent for exp, but not so great for coin... with pots and repairs you can make 100-150k per hour, maybe more with double drops. Starting with 6x=7x and going up... Seaweed Theives, Nightscream, phys mobs by Siry, spiders by Intrepid, wolves by Immolation, spiders by Avalanche do well but you'd need a cleric. 3rd Map is about the best for exp and drops, you can easily make 500k+ in an hour, but high repair bills and you need to get your past cultis to get there, which for some isn't easy. However killing stuff doesn't make you a whole lot of money. There are better options...

Farm mid-mats at Sundown... high mats around Harshlands or Special Herbs in Hell. All three can net you at least 300k an hour provided you have a land mount. There can be a lot of competition for these minable mats, so timing a route is pretty much necessary.

If you're high enough and have friends interested in doing money runs, farm 2-2 for Dust of Stars and Touch of 7 and 2-3 for Antenna. 2-2 is a bit more difficult and not quite worth the effort for Sorceress Soul and Tsu's Ghost Mask but with double drops isn't a bad idea. 3-3 is really the best for farming for Illusion Stone, Ghost Lords Protection and Giant Beast's Footprint. Squad of 3... just need cleric DD and tank for 2-2/3 or 2 clerics + tank for 3-3.

Always have a merchant for buying/selling, it can make you a a couple hundred thousand or more a day just sitting there.

Making money in-game isn't all that hard at higher levels, but below 7x, you're mostly limited to mining, or level dependent mobs for hay (15-30-ish), fine meat (3x), wild ginseng (8x), etc...
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Legendadry - Harshlands
    Legendadry - Harshlands Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    personally i have to grind for my coin 1 mob at a time. Aoe grind is ok but imo u pay more then what u need to at times to make money. TT doenst work anymore. 1-2hours for mats that dont sell not worth it imo.

if i could leave my comp on 24/7 i'd set up a buy/sell shop but that about it
    I dont level Slow I just enjoy the game b:surrender
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    There are other ways to make money, true, but aoe grinding is still way up on the list. I make anywhere between 2-5 mil in my catshop in a given day, depending on conditions. I grind 500k an hour if I'm being lazy/it's crowded. Maths are for you, not me b:surrender
  • xxunseenspecxx
    xxunseenspecxx Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I'm able to make around 250k per hour. But that is only because i'm grinding in high lvl area's (20+ my lvl). This allows me to gain good exp (w/ hyper stone), and get mats that most people my lvl aren't able to get.

Only because you grind things 20+ your level, huh? Considering you get the same amount of money and the same chance of getting money/drops from anything 2 levels below you and up, and the exp tops off at 11 levels above you, AND you're damage is reduced 50% on mobs between 20-40 levels higher than you, I'd say not only would you be wasting your time, but you are probably lying.

Citation needed? OK! Table of Rates
    Guild History:
    Unlimited [retired guild]
    Conqueror [retired guild]
    BloodLusT [FAIL OF EPIC PROPORTIONZ/retired guild]
    RageQuit [retired guild]

Current Guild:
    Wouldn't you like to know?

Current Status:
    Been jumping rooftops in ADC for the past year and a half<3
    Actively PvP'ing foramz style b:cute
  • Asheera - Raging Tide
    Asheera - Raging Tide Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I just noticed mostly clerics say AoE grinding is worth it and gaining 500k-1m per hour (double drops or not)

I'm not too familiar with their skills but if they got a very powerful AoE damage skill it's a bit ridiculous for a class that can heal itself effectively also. Well ridiculous at grinding :P

Nerf! lol
    First 103 on Raging Tide 30 Oct 2010
    Quit.
  • xxunseenspecxx
    edited April 2010
    I just noticed mostly clerics say AoE grinding is worth it and gaining 500k-1m per hour (double drops or not)

I'm not too familiar with their skills but if they got a very powerful AoE damage skill it's a bit ridiculous for a class that can heal itself effectively also. Well ridiculous at grinding :P

Nerf! lol

Sure they can heal themselves and have a couple practical AoE's... consider the amount of heiro they use to do so... freakin ridiculous.
    Guild History:
    RageQuit [retired guild]

Current Guild:

Current Status:
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2010
    Cat's out of the bag, now. Clerics aoe grind on poison mobs; I go with the level 96 spiders. I round up around 20 at a time, using ironheart/purify. I kill with one demon tempest and a bramble rage, but razor feathers instead of bramble would also do the job. I use a little bit more than 1 herb yuanxiao per pull, and don't have an hp charm. I get maybe 40-80k per pull.

The best part is, you don't need insane gears to do this; you just can't pull as many/it takes more aoes to kill. I've been saying clerics are OP for a while now, no one believes me b:cry
  • ACLucius - Archosaur
    ACLucius - Archosaur Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Okay, now tell me how an Assassin is supposed to AoE grind effectively in mid to mid-high levels.

b:cryb:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Didn't get the rest of it, but apparently I am the "destroyer of sin haters" as well.
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Sure they can heal themselves and have a couple practical AoE's... consider the amount of heiro they use to do so... freakin ridiculous.

What heiro? HP should only tick if you take on way too many for your own good, and MP...well...I wouldn't recommend AoE grinding if you're wearing MP charms. Depending on how fast you kill, a stack of 50-100 Herb Yuanxiao should be more than enough for a solid 6-hours worth of grinding. Or it is for me at least (usually less, since MP pots drop often enough). And even with Tokens at about 20k, a 60-120k investment for about 3-6mil is more than worth it. Maybe a bit more if you use some Genie stamina to stabilize HP/replenish Chi from time to time...but even Perfect Stones are cheap if you can't decomp your own gear drops.
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2010
    Assassin don't get to aoe grind. I suggest you either tough it out, or reroll to a non-fail PvE class. b:bye
  • xxunseenspecxx
    edited April 2010
    What heiro? HP should only tick if you take on way too many for your own good, and MP...well...I wouldn't recommend AoE grinding if you're wearing MP charms. Depending on how fast you kill, a stack of 50-100 Herb Yuanxiao should be more than enough for a solid 6-hours worth of grinding. Or it is for me at least (usually less, since MP pots drop often enough). And even with Tokens at about 20k, a 60-120k investment for about 3-6mil is more than worth it. Maybe a bit more if you use some Genie stamina to stabilize HP/replenish Chi from time to time...but even Perfect Stones are cheap if you can't decomp your own gear drops.

I forgot about all the event **** that's out. I guess now days clerics have it ridiculously easy in PvE.
    Guild History:
    RageQuit [retired guild]

Current Guild:

Current Status:
  • ACLucius - Archosaur
    ACLucius - Archosaur Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Assassin don't get to aoe grind. I suggest you either tough it out, or reroll to a non-fail PvE class. b:bye

That's just the problem. I hate playing any of the other classes because they don't fit my personal play style, and they just gave Assassins 1 AoE skill too few to do so well. If I had one other I could switch between Earthen Rift with, I could probably do fairly well.

Oh well, I'll just go back to my 1v1 grinding and hope they come out with a 79 AoE skill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Didn't get the rest of it, but apparently I am the "destroyer of sin haters" as well.
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2010
    Wizards have aoes and can't solo aoe grind. Same for barbs, archers, psychics, and venomancers (except maybe with a reflect pet? idk). Clerics can aoe poison mobs by virtue of healing/purify, not our aoes. Bms can grind "because of" their aoes. I was only kidding, devs don't hate sins; they just love clerics b:pleased
    edited April 2010
    AoE grinding is decent for exp, but not so great for coin... with pots and repairs you can make 100-150k per hour, maybe more with double drops. Starting with 6x=7x and going up... Seaweed Theives, Nightscream, phys mobs by Siry, spiders by Intrepid, wolves by Immolation, spiders by Avalanche do well but you'd need a cleric. 3rd Map is about the best for exp and drops, you can easily make 500k+ in an hour, but high repair bills and you need to get your past cultis to get there, which for some isn't easy. However killing stuff doesn't make you a whole lot of money. There are better options...

I disagree totally. My pot use is so limited as to be negligible. (i am not charmed) I have never needed a cleric to aoe grind at any of the places you named, it just makes it faster. I don't have 3rd map access. I just don't play the proper times to farm blood and enter Unicorn forest..blah. Taking breaks/afk. I have been making 400k+ an hour grinding. This is subtracting my repair costs.
    Farm mid-mats at Sundown... high mats around Harshlands or Special Herbs in Hell. All three can net you at least 300k an hour provided you have a land mount. There can be a lot of competition for these minable mats, so timing a route is pretty much necessary.

Why would I do this when I can aoe grind more coin and not have to set up a Catshop latter which I hate doing.

If you're high enough and have friends interested in doing money runs, farm 2-2 for Dust of Stars and Touch of 7 and 2-3 for Antenna. 2-2 is a bit more difficult and not quite worth the effort for Sorceress Soul and Tsu's Ghost Mask but with double drops isn't a bad idea. 3-3 is really the best for farming for Illusion Stone, Ghost Lords Protection and Giant Beast's Footprint. Squad of 3... just need cleric DD and tank for 2-2/3 or 2 clerics + tank for 3-3.

Unfortunately I'm not in faction. I play mostly by myself and with a few friends of varying levels. All of whom(except my ingame wife) are below my level. And besides most of the mats that I could farm on that list are worthless especially now.

I would love to farm 3-2 & 3-3 but I wouldn't farm for money. But to get mats for TT 99 gear. b:surrenderb:cry
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]