standing, camping, and afk = reportable?

13»

Comments

• SquirrelPee - Archosaur
    SquirrelPee - Archosaur Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    So that means, myself being a Cleric, if I were zhening, and I go AFK, I can get banned for that?

BB + Charm = AFK for me.

? Wtf.

QQ at my avatar still T_T
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    So that means, myself being a Cleric, if I were zhening, and I go AFK, I can get banned for that?

BB + Charm = AFK for me.

? Wtf.

In the event that a GM whispers you and you don't reply, yes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited April 2010

BB + Charm = AFK for me.

? Wtf.

Yes, that is bannable if you go afk for an extended period. 5 minutes to grab a drink or a smoke = ok. An hour of zhenning afk, and it's afk leveling. At least that's what we have been told in the past. The odds of ever getting caught are miniscule - but that doesn't make it less illegal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • FruityMelons - Heavens Tear
    FruityMelons - Heavens Tear Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I think it'd be really sucky to be a bannable offense for this. Maybe after repeated attempts IF it is indeed against the TOS...

I can picture this... running around in SP...having fun... just killed a mob, picking up the drops and the phone rings.. Called ID says the local hospital on it... I answer and a member of my family has been in a car accident... I jump up, grab my keys and out I go. I spend hours at the hospital, all night even, finally get home and the just crash into the bed and sleep. I've been afk for what? 20 hours... setting on a mob with my veno..

A couple days later I get notice I'm being banned because of this... because my REAL LIFE was more important than my in game life and someone with nothing better to do reported me as against the TOS... yet in those 20 hours, my veno who's level 78, probably got a total of .1% xp and my pet got nothing... and no one else was affected by it.

Turn off your computer, step back, go outside.. There's a sun out there.... u need some of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Verifying if someone is actually doing it is another thing, but this quoted post should pretty much have ended the thread:

Clicky clicky GM post number 1.

Clicky clicky GM post number 2.

Although here it's specified that if it's for a short amount of time you're fine.

Side note: It was that last one that I remembered, and I noticed FatherTed posted in it too...I've wasted a year of my life on these boards...b:sweat
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I think it'd be really sucky to be a bannable offense for this. Maybe after repeated attempts IF it is indeed against the TOS...

I can picture this... running around in SP...having fun... just killed a mob, picking up the drops and the phone rings.. Called ID says the local hospital on it... I answer and a member of my family has been in a car accident... I jump up, grab my keys and out I go. I spend hours at the hospital, all night even, finally get home and the just crash into the bed and sleep. I've been afk for what? 20 hours... setting on a mob with my veno..

A couple days later I get notice I'm being banned because of this... because my REAL LIFE was more important than my in game life and someone with nothing better to do reported me as against the TOS... yet in those 20 hours, my veno who's level 78, probably got a total of .1% xp and my pet got nothing... and no one else was affected by it.

Turn off your computer, step back, go outside.. There's a sun out there.... u need some of it.

...because every veno on a spawn point, afk, for hours is at the hospital with their badly hurt relatives.

I think there's a very small chance that a player will be directly on a spawn point with their pet on defense in an area where their pet can last for 20 hours without a heal when they get a phone call from a hospital that their family member was in a car accident. b:surrender Saying that reason is why they shouldn't ban for it is like saying pulling qingzi through the door shouldn't be bannable because someone might be looking away from the computer and luring because their 2 year old is crying, and not see the door or realize that they tabbed to qingzi, and they couldn't look back because they had to take the block out of their child's mouth before he choked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • _Pale - Sanctuary
    _Pale - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    standing, camping, and afk = reportable?
    yes, because you can report anything you find offensive or wrong.

I could report that you smell; and I have a big problem with your smell. Or I could report that you hide behind alts to troll the forum or report that you harass venos in-game for over an hour ( probably right on the last accusation, you went to extreme extent to prove it)

The GM's decide if you have a case, for now you are just being a petty nuisance.
    Who cares what you think?
    Please go elsewhere...
    I'm not there to make you survive in PWI, that's your job
    ** expected fail squad: express rule of thumb "you die by stupidity, you go to town" **
    ~Sanctuary~Cleric/Archer/Veno~Audeamus/Enelysion
  • NecroKitty - Harshlands
    NecroKitty - Harshlands Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I thought any form of AFK grinding is illegal.

But im not sure how this would be possible. Even if your pet is attacking a very low level mob, the pet will take some damage. Over time, wihtout heals, it will eventually die, and the XP gain will be so minimal.

AFK leveling pet doesnt make sense either to me. Pet only gain XP if the mob is close to the level of the pet. In that case the pet woudl die fairly fast with out a veno heal.

Seems there would have to be som sort of program to throw pet a heal once in awhile for the afk grind to work.

P.S. i dont smell but a few of my pets have just an aweful scent. Plz don't report them. Even though they smell a bit, i still love them.
  • XYuna - Dreamweaver
    XYuna - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    This whole thread is just the biggest whining mess i've ever seen.
    Even if they are doing that, why would it concern you thaaat much to post on forums about it? You have a problem send a ticket, don't come QQing.
    b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Also Tsutai- 90 Cleric b:bye
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    This whole thread is just the biggest whining mess i've ever seen.
    Even if they are doing that, why would it concern you thaaat much to post on forums about it? You have a problem send a ticket, don't come QQing.
    b:chuckle
    The OP already said that he would send a ticket and let the GM's handle it, so there is no need to continue to flame him.

On the topic of this, it is intriguing trying to figure out why a veno would go through doing all of this. But then again, people do dumb things all the time...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
  • FruityMelons - Heavens Tear
    FruityMelons - Heavens Tear Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    ...because every veno on a spawn point, afk, for hours is at the hospital with their badly hurt relatives.

I think there's a very small chance that a player will be directly on a spawn point with their pet on defense in an area where their pet can last for 20 hours without a heal when they get a phone call from a hospital that their family member was in a car accident. b:surrender Saying that reason is why they shouldn't ban for it is like saying pulling qingzi through the door shouldn't be bannable because someone might be looking away from the computer and luring because their 2 year old is crying, and not see the door or realize that they tabbed to qingzi, and they couldn't look back because they had to take the block out of their child's mouth before he choked.

While my scenario was extreme it was an EXAMPLE. I didn't say it was LIKELY, but merely a possibility. I have DC'd in SP before because my net went down. I just happened to be helping a friend in the little room to the side entrance where the little flame guys spawned. My pet was in the 70s. So I stood there for 20 minutes with my pet on defend because thats how i play my pet and it continued to kill anything that attacked....

Someone walking in 20 seconds after my dc waiting to kill the mobs because they are needed for a quest might become upset that i keep killing them...say something...even whisper me...all of which I'm not going to respond... because I am disconnected from something outside my control. After 10 minutes they decide I'm violating the rules and take screenshots and report me.

There. Maybe THAT scenario will make you happy since it REALLY HAS happened with the exception of being reported...

Bottom line is that in this game there isn't a SINGLE rule specific to anything. It's merely "doing this or that is a violation" and this or that being something vague to the point that going AFK while your pet is on defend is somehow an exploit.

Saying using a game feature while AFK is violation of the TOS is ridiculous since the TOS doesn't get specific enough to specify anything. Flying while AFK could be bannable simply because the character is advancing to a location where the character will in the future gain XP while not AFK.

As a software developer I am VERY aware of bugs and exploits found in applications... BUT at some point the developer/owner of the application has to take responsibility when the issues are known and do not get fixed. Venos using their flying pet to kill mobs so they can't fight back is a long standing known issue yet it's a violation to do so... OVER A YEAR NOW and the responsibility is upon the user to know this... yet there is no "rule book" that specifically says it's a violation... and saying it's posted in the forums is no excuse to say that it's there... 90% of my faction has never even been on the forums and finding information is near impossible most times.

Interpretation of the rules is not a good way to write rules. They should be explicit and clear. In real life (at least in the USA) if you do something, no matter how horrible the action you do is, if there is not a SPECIFIC law (rule) against it, then you're completely free to continue doing it.

I'm not saying that PWI has to write rules that outline every tiny aspect of every single action in the game...

But in this case, we should just ban all cat shops. Most are AFK and utilizing an in game feature to further their advancement.

While this is a crazy idea, it simply could be interpreted from the vague rules to be a violation.

I'm a believer in that if the rules allow you to do it then you can do it... If it's not allowed then it should be prevented in game. If this were the case then there would NO QUESTION about whether or not it's a violation or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I had a post prepared a couple of hours back, but my connection hiccuped and the post never got there.

Not on this game, but another (can't say names, QQ):

I was chatting with some of my friends while my husband was cooking in the kitchen. All I heard was a loud scream, and he came out with a bloody hand - he had cut his hand fairly deep with the knife. I don't recall saying "BRB" or "AFK emergency" to my friends. I just grabbed my keys and rushed to the ER.

I was out for at least 12 hours.

I wasn't in an instance or anything - the mobs don't respawn on that game, but almost every single group of mobs patrol. Had I been in an instance, I'd have died for sure. I couldn't have been reported for botting behavior either on the veno-like class, their pets aren't strong enough to take down a mob alone... and on that game, a "mob" refers to a "group of enemies". Bots have another type of behavior on this game too (and it's insanely easy to spot them if you watch a bit...)

I apply that to PWI, and yes, as a veno AFK for 12 hours, I could have passed as a bot. Or I'd have died for some reason (pet dies eventually, I'm the only target, no one else kills the mob, poof dead veno eventually).

Honestly, it's what the ticketing system is for when it comes to bans - I bet for some it's a case-by-case, unlike other games where you're caught with a bot-like behavior, you're done for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • High_Lord - Heavens Tear
    High_Lord - Heavens Tear Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    The OP already said that he would send a ticket and let the GM's handle it, so there is no need to continue to flame him.

On the topic of this, it is intriguing trying to figure out why a veno would go through doing all of this. But then again, people do dumb things all the time...

that colour is annoying
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Heatwave Leader~
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Your point? Posting unnecessary things is annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
  • Gasoline - Lost City
    Gasoline - Lost City Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    hi everyone

I was farming some silk thread in secret passage and discovered a venomancer just standing around doing nothing but letting her helpless pet fight one of the ossein skeleton that spawns in a corner. I was wondering, is this cheating or reportable before I submit a ticket and screenshots?

I dont see what so scandalous about this O_O

She has to heal the pet occasionally or it will die so its not like she is botting lol.
    She would kill the skeletons about 100% faster if she attacked them herself and didn't just have the pet dealing dmg.

But many venos do that, set pet on defend while you go afk and make coffee or w/e. If you take to much time making coffee both you and the pet can be dead when you get back b:surrender.

Can do similar stuff with phys classes to, just jam down auto attack key with something heavy and go afk for a bit. As soon as a mob spawn and attacks you will attack it back.
    But yeah it might kill you or **** your charm if you leave the computer to long.
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I think too many people are focusing too much on that fact that is was a veno -_-

The GMs said anyone afk grinding on mobs is liable for a ban.
    They didn't say just afk venos with their pets on defend. But that's the equivalent of a afk zhen squad.

So stop QQing venos, yes I can get up and walk away from Dragon's Breath for an hour with a charm and cleric BBing, doesn't mean I should and I would expect to get banned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RaDeSK - Sanctuary
    RaDeSK - Sanctuary Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    This afk thing should be revised and gms should at least explain the "why" afk training is banable. For example, I could be a cleric using the blue bubble while my pt kills a world boss, and I'm using a mp charm (platinium). I don't see any point about being @ the damn computer while the only thing that I can do in this case is watch as my friends kill the boss, probably will respawn some local mobs and they'll probably kill it, I'll gain a crappy xp and watch this scene for like one hour (23kk of hp...). Another thing is having a venomancer or any class that can strike from distance and get a quest that I need to kill flying mobs. I can simply pay for the veno to kill the whole thing for me while I watch, so why the hell should I be sitting @ the pc while she kills it since I can ask to give me a msg when she finish? (msn or cellphone or whatever). Same thing goes for the afk pet training, it ins't any combination that will make successful and there's a level limit for the pet getting the xp (or @ least they recieve 1xp instead the regular) and more, how the hell will you prove it? If I was repported in afk trainning (in the venocase) hellsure that I would ask a video that proves that I was afk, a screenshot? How will you know that the person want to talk with you or knows how to speak english? And more, in a pvp server that would be allowed since anyone can kill you?
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I think too many people are focusing too much on that fact that is was a veno -_-

The GMs said anyone afk grinding on mobs is liable for a ban.
    They didn't say just afk venos with their pets on defend. But that's the equivalent of a afk zhen squad.

So stop QQing venos, yes I can get up and walk away from Dragon's Breath for an hour with a charm and cleric BBing, doesn't mean I should and I would expect to get banned.

It's easy because the veno class is at an "advantage" for it, or any class which can kill while AFK. As you stated, DB for wizzies, BOA for archers, and at an extent, BB/RB for clerics.

AFAIK the other classes don't have that availability - we don't have continuous AOE. We get attacked, if we're AFK we won't be able to fight back, unless we're running bots or have keys taped to the keyboard (I'm talking as a BM here, applies to barb, and AFAIK, psys and sins as well). Venos will, and at a very low cost compared to other classes who can.

EDIT: I'm not talking about going AFK on bosses in stuff like TT and on WBs, where yeah, anything with physical weapons are able to AFK because they don't have to press keys to attack. And I guess would be treated as botting on long-term. (I'll take a 2 mins to get a bio break and a glass on water on some bosses in TT, but that's the extent of it).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    Hakiii - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    In the other game I had played, people could go AFK flying and follow other players, so if someone needed to do something the other person could continue the question or leveling that person. It still took forever, but I don't see why it's such a big deal here, unless someone is /seriously/ gaining something out of it, other than not staring at a screen for three hours not even touching the keys.
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    LOL wth is this nonsense, cant ban a veno for having their pet on defend b:chuckle
    Its an option on the pet skill bar O_O

Pet will die if its not healed. Venos can NOT set their pet on defend and come back 5 hours and 50% later. Herc can last maybe 3 mobs before it dies, your regular Gollem will die from the second mob, might even die from 1 mob if its increased life or extra defense. So much for afk-grinding <.< More being afk for 10 sec than run back and heal.

GMs would just ask you to stop wasting their time, if you reported someone for having their pet on defend. Its like dunno reporting a cleric for setting up a healing macro for a few on a BM aoe-grinding.
  • Trayous - Sanctuary
    Trayous - Sanctuary Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    So someone can set up cat shop on a second account whilst playing there main . Make coin on catshop and pass it to there main . Thats acceptable ? . And yet this person minding there own buisness hurting no one gets all this attention .

Too many people with to much time on there hands b:laugh
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    So someone can set up cat shop on a second account whilst playing there main . Make coin on catshop and pass it to there main . Thats acceptable ? . And yet this person minding there own buisness hurting no one gets all this attention

Because when you AFK catshop, you gain no experience. Somebody obviously doesn't know the rules, do they?

FYI the problem is when you go AFK for long periods of time while in a position where you can continue to gain EXP without playing the game. Therefore, being AFK on a catshop, on a second account, can't possibly be bannable, because you gain no experience. Hell, technically you're even at the computer. You know. Playing on a main.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary
    Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    After reading through this thread, the only thing that comes to mind is this:

Were this thread a dead horse, it would not have 2 cells left together from the amount you have been beating it. Give it a rest already. The veno was supposedly afk-killing with her pet, which seems to be a no-no. Fine. Ticket it and move on.

for the love of god, someone end this thread already.
    helr-cleric-8x
    Jaggerjaques-BM-8x
    blackrobe-wizard-7x
    _Tara-veno-6x
    Superpoke-sin-7x
    punching_bag-barb 7x
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I will:
    mku2iq.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Wizzeled - Sanctuary
    Wizzeled - Sanctuary Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Back when I gamma'd GUESS WHAT I afk'd all the time, went and watched movies, did it during Zhen too lol CONSTANTLY ALL THE TIME, Got a prob with it? DO SOMETHIN BOUT IT PUNK <3

lol I'd still do it if I could gamma, I'd do it all damn day :P

Sure I'm not a veno but same aspect, AFK and getting exp sooooooooooooooooooo

GTFO D: fail thread.

fp.jpg
  • Mistimancer - Heavens Tear
    Mistimancer - Heavens Tear Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I read the whole thread, I am a venom and I would never do that but it's me...

I think the OP could be like me, call me tight A&&, call me anyname you want... I don't care..

I am just the kind of person that cares about rules, laws and stuff like that...

I know this is a game.. and I know if I would see somebody doing that would not affect my game play or my character.... but does that mean that I cannot care about the rules? If let's say, you see somebody stealing a 1 dollar item from a dollar store... will you say something about it? it will not affect your life or your person..... but... it is consider against the law...... me.. it would bother me and I would report it... same thing in game...as previously posted by GM this is against the rules.. so I would probably report it...

I know it is hard to prove that this person is AFK, or that maybe she has a reason to be AFK that long if she is instead AFK....

Don't flame the OP .. all she wanted to know if it was bannable, if it was against the rule.. which I find very good of her to ask...
    I do care about rules.. maybe too much.... who knows... but rules are there for a reason... Either in game or IRL.. rules should be followed...

Again call me any names you want.. I don't care....

I am 38 years old mother, and lived a happy life, following rules.. and hope to continue to do so until I die.... maybe I am the stupid one to live like that.... but that's my life and my point of view.. maybe the OP is just like me... who knows :)
  • Devil_Vergil - Lost City
    Devil_Vergil - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    anyways lol..................i only read the first page of this but seriously cmon??? is the OP serious??

i completly agree and hate botting or cheaters. but ONE this isnt botting at all, venos can do certain stuff othger classes cant lol deal with it. Plus if it REALLY DID matter whos to say the veno isnt just chillin there in the computer chair but not moving the char at all ( so IS present) lol then what.

but bottom line why the hell would u ruin sumones gameplay (for however long they could get banned) by reporting THAT!? this doesnt affect u at all, and shiit for all u know the player just went to the bathroom. How would u like it, u go afk for 5-10mins and come back to a banned account just because sum immature kid wants to power trip on the most rediculous of offenses lol....

anyways....BAD OP...BAD

@at poster above me. ill admit i completely respect your point of view on it, but u have to understand that the average player base is not 38 yr old females. And i def dont speak for all of pwi, but if anyone is like me at all theyll agree that all ur post said was "im a snitch, im a snitch, im a snitch" over and over again :P
  • Samsoul - Lost City
    Samsoul - Lost City Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I don't really see the problem here at all. Take the wurms outside of the tideborn city, venos train their air pets their daily. My veno character often trains her piggy there. Whenever someone needs the quest, I simply let them do their mobs, sure if they're KSing everybody, thats pissing annoying. 99% of the time, they pm me for help, I squad, I do their quest. Happy quester.

DA END.
    Samsoul - fail psychic of Lost City!

...I will melt your brain... and decrease your IQ by 150...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Clicky clicky GM post number 1.

Clicky clicky GM post number 2.

Although here it's specified that if it's for a short amount of time you're fine.

Side note: It was that last one that I remembered, and I noticed FatherTed posted in it too...I've wasted a year of my life on these boards...b:sweat

How did the thread get beyond Aadi's post lol. This really should have ended the thread. Gaining XP while AFK is a TOS violation as clearly stated by the GMs and that was the question that the OP was asking.

The OP wasn't asking if it was possible or if the veno was really AFK or if the veno forgot to logout or if the veno was visiting her sick aunt in the hospital. The OP wasn't even asking advice if he should file a ticket as he wanted to reserve that decision to his own judgement.

The question that was asked was "is standing around AFK while gaining XP against the rules" and the answer is an unambiguous "yes".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    How did the thread get beyond Aadi's post lol. This really should have ended the thread. Gaining XP while AFK is a TOS violation as clearly stated by the GMs and that was the question that the OP was asking.

The OP wasn't asking if it was possible or if the veno was really AFK or if the veno forgot to logout or if the veno was visiting her sick aunt in the hospital. The OP wasn't even asking advice if he should file a ticket as he wanted to reserve that decision to his own judgement.

The question that was asked was "is standing around AFK while gaining XP against the rules" and the answer is an unambiguous "yes".

Asterelle is correct ----^

Thread closed :)
This discussion has been closed.