standing, camping, and afk = reportable?

Options

Comments

• Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Don't flame me because I had never seen another thread, about this subject. As far as my knowledge lead me to know was that it was fine and there would be no problem.

So really, don't get all attacky on me when My knowledge is limited because i dislike searching through thousands of pages for one single thread that was posted a long time ago and might not even be there anymore. b:surrender

Rationalize incorrect advice as much as you want, it's still incorrect advice and you should hold your opinion until someone knows or at least express that is your opinion and that you are indeed not sure.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • ReWritten - Lost City
    ReWritten - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    hi everyone

I was farming some silk thread in secret passage and discovered a venomancer just standing around doing nothing but letting her helpless pet fight one of the ossein skeleton that spawns in a corner. I was wondering, is this cheating or reportable before I submit a ticket and screenshots?

awwww U must be form one of those boring people that cares so such about what other people doing and most likely from PvE server..... honestly why do u even care..? get on with ur fun in this mmo.. dont try to be Server cop wanna be. next time when u see like that and it get ur nerve, Just Pk that person. stop wasting ur time on forum about that..
    /thread
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    then i guess you would be ticketing every veno in the game, because we all have to level up pets in this way. i go to SP all the time, and do exactly what you are describing. if someone has a Christmas tome, the pet isnt hurting.

as for farming, if the person isnt going over to pick up the silk drops, after the 30 seconds are over, you are welcome to them, wherever you see them, even in a legion attack.

hi everyone

I was farming some silk thread in secret passage and discovered a venomancer just standing around doing nothing but letting her helpless pet fight one of the ossein skeleton that spawns in a corner. I was wondering, is this cheating or reportable before I submit a ticket and screenshots?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I do similar stuff, but not on my veno.

I'll have my character killing mobs, and I'll switch to another window or play other games. I've done it a lot during the past few days while questing on my barb... and I plan on doing it more. The chances I actually notice a duel request, squad invite or something is fairly low unless I'm focusing on the character for whatever reason, or already chatting with faction. I'll stay idle like 5-10 minutes between mobs... because I can.

And there are times I just don't even feel like responding to PMs. (Doesn't happen often, I'm a faction leader... not on my barb but yeaaaaaaah....)

IMO the veno was training a low-level pet on a low-level mob. Don't even need to move, and sometimes don't even need to heal the pet. The pet is on aggressive mode and attacks whatever spawns around.

Doubt it's a bot honestly. Bad place to bot (not that it's legal at first), but there's better areas for pet leveling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • mapleblossom
    mapleblossom Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    then i guess you would be ticketing every veno in the game, because we all have to level up pets in this way. i go to SP all the time, and do exactly what you are describing.

Pardon? I surely don't level my pets by going afk. That is just wrong for me because that is no different than botting through my opinion, even if it's 3 exp, when you afk for long, 3 exp can turn into 3,000 exp. I don't cheat. I honor myself with the exp I earn with my presence every kill I've made. My friends don't level their pets by going afk, and sure, if I have to, I'll report all the venos I see who's doing that from today on. Thanks for pointing that out, FoxRunning of Heaven's Tear. b:victory
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    then i guess you would be ticketing every veno in the game, because we all have to level up pets in this way. i go to SP all the time, and do exactly what you are describing.

Just because YOU choose to do it doesn't mean every other cleric decides to break the rules as well. I could introduce you to quite a few much higher level venos who actually level their pets legally, instead of just going afk for hours on end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Just because YOU choose to do it doesn't mean every other cleric decides to break the rules as well. I could introduce you to quite a few much higher level venos who actually level their pets legally, instead of just going afk for hours on end.

Every other cleric? b:chuckle

But really, I did NOT expect that kind of reply from you FoxRunning. A majority of the time you're very concerned with making sure the TOS is upheld, it's kind of surprising to see you defending a veno gaining exp for themselves (however small) and their pet while afk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    Skimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i think there was same thing going on about one veno afk lvling pet in swamp and gm said its banable to gain exp while not sitting at pc so if that person doesnt reply for a while feel free to report and let gm check it out. Same thing about afk zhenning.

tho, i lost i-net couple days ago for hours while was in party with some1 else and he said i was on for like 30 mins standing in a bunch of mobs. If my pet would be on defend mode then i believe my pet would kill mobs in there for 30 mins before game boots me out. So i guess it's something what devs should fix. If friend and one random person wouldn't help keep mobs off from me then my charm would be gone.

and i have never leveled any of my pets that way, only time i have set pet on defense mode was when i had to run to bathroom or take a drink.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The whole thing is that they may not be AFK, but just...

1. Can't be arsed replying to PMs or picking drops up.
    2. Minimizing / maximizing window between mobs.
    3. Duel / squad requests ignored in their options...

I do that, and I'm not AFK. Then I'm going AFK 10 minutes nearby some mobs. But in general I'm not AFK and just wanna be left alone... is it possible that other people do it?

If they're really AFK or botting, it's another story. But it's possible that it's something else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    1. Can't be arsed replying to PMs or picking drops up.
    2. Minimizing / maximizing window between mobs.
    3. Duel / squad requests ignored in their options...

I do that, and I'm not AFK. Then I'm going AFK 10 minutes nearby some mobs. But in general I'm not AFK and just wanna be left alone... is it possible that other people do it?

Oh heck - I do that all the time as well. Well not the picking up drops thing - I'm OCD about getting my drops I think. I just don't think that sort of activity is what is being questioned here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Clicky clicky GM post number 1.

Clicky clicky GM post number 2.

Although here it's specified that if it's for a short amount of time you're fine.

Side note: It was that last one that I remembered, and I noticed FatherTed posted in it too...I've wasted a year of my life on these boards...b:sweat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
  • La_Zorra - Sanctuary
    La_Zorra - Sanctuary Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    A Reasonable period of time is the grey area.. Granted going afk to get a drink or nip to the toilet is fine.

But leaving the pet on auto attack while going to watch a movie or to go shopping ISNT a reasonable period of time, and as Aadi has pointed out .. Gm's have said in the past that is bannable.

I wonder if the veno is really AFK or maybe she says that in her Auto Response because she doesn't want to talk to anyone. I do that sometimes, when I'm leveling a pet, or just feeling anti-social, lol ~

Edit: or yeah, waiting for something to drop, too, as sometimes that can take several hours. I've had that experience recently on a couple of different quests, where it took over 5 hours on each quest, to get the drops; what a PITA!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Muchas gracias to Saitada for the siggy ~
  • mapleblossom
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I wonder if the veno is really AFK or maybe she says that in her Auto Response because she doesn't want to talk to anyone. I do that sometimes, when I'm leveling a pet, or just feeling anti-social, lol ~

Edit: or yeah, waiting for something to drop, too, as sometimes that can take several hours. I've had that experience recently on a couple of different quests, where it took over 5 hours on each quest, to get the drops; what a PITA!

To show you proof, this veno is still here since my first post. I PMed him/her again, and for those of you who want proof: http://tinyurl.com/ylfwch5

And the only modifications I've done to the screenshot is covering up names due to privacy. You can actually see only the pet is fighting and the veno doing nothing at all.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    To show you proof, this veno is still here since my first post. I PMed him/her again, and for those of you who want proof: http://tinyurl.com/ylfwch5

And the only modifications I've done to the screenshot is covering up names due to privacy. You can actually see only the pet is fighting and the veno doing nothing at all.

I see, in that SS, refusals to trade.

Now I do believe that if she was AFK, the trade would time out, and rather than a refusal message, the game would tell you that there was an error trading.

So, unless I am mistaken and that is somebody else you were trying to trade with, that veno isn't AFK.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mapleblossom
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I see, in that SS, refusals to trade.

Now I do believe that if she was AFK, the trade would time out, and rather than a refusal message, the game would tell you that there was an error trading.

So, unless I am mistaken and that is somebody else you were trying to trade with, that veno isn't AFK.

Again she could have had the no trade requests ticked on the user settings, and no answer in PMs? How would you describe this? I didn't get any message on Squad Invites, in addition, duel response took a few seconds before it responded.

Edit: I ran an alternative account on a different computer to test the no trade requests setup on my veno. Here is the screenshot for it: http://tinyurl.com/ydjvrdv
  • Giodia - Heavens Tear
    Giodia - Heavens Tear Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Again she could have had the no trade requests ticked on the user settings, and no answer in PMs? How would you describe this? I didn't get any message on Squad Invites, in addition, duel response took a few seconds before it responded.

Edit: I ran an alternative account on a different computer to test the no trade requests setup on my veno. Here is the screenshot for it: http://tinyurl.com/ydjvrdv

From your screenshot, there is nothing out of norm. She could be pissed at you and refused to communicate with you.

She could be talking with friends or guidmates or anybody else but you.

Or, you could have been blacklisted on some wc trashtalking by her already.

If you suspect she's botting, submit a ticket and be done with it.

Posting it on the forums makes you look like some whiney kid. b:bye
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    From your screenshot, there is nothing out of norm. She could be pissed at you and refused to communicate with you.

She could be talking with friends or guidmates or anybody else but you.

Or, you could have been blacklisted on some wc trashtalking by her already.

If you suspect she's botting, submit a ticket and be done with it.

Posting it on the forums makes you look like some whiney kid. b:bye

Originally it wasn't "OMG LOOK SHE'S BREAKING THE RULES", it was "I think this is wrong, is it?" which sparked a discussion over whether or not it was really against the rules to afk on a spawn point with your pet on defense.

Although the people defending the veno aren't saying that it's not wrong, just that they don't know if she was doing that, which is kind of not the point of the thread. They're asking whether or not "standing, camping, and afk" is reportable. Not whether or not that veno in particular is afk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Giodia - Heavens Tear
    Giodia - Heavens Tear Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Originally it wasn't "OMG LOOK SHE'S BREAKING THE RULES", it was "I think this is wrong, is it?" which sparked a discussion over whether or not it was really against the rules to afk on a spawn point with your pet on defense.

Although the people defending the veno aren't saying that it's not wrong, just that they don't know if she was doing that, which is kind of not the point of the thread. They're asking whether or not "standing, camping, and afk" is reportable. Not whether or not that veno in particular is afk.

Let's take a look at his statements and see what we have got:
    hi everyone

Cheating seems to imply a certain degree of unfairness. Adding this to 'afk' in the tittle seems to suggest that the venomancer in question has a certain unfair advantage over other players while afk, which also makes the venomancer seems to be exploiting a certain feature as part of the game (for pets).

However, I can think up of other scenarios that why that venomancer is there:

1. Venomancer usually set their pets on defensive mode
    2. She may need to attend to something urgent, without time to log out
    3. She chose a corner, not knowing that it's a spawn point.

Now, allow me also ask a question to counter his 'accusations':

1. Did the venomancer who apparently 'camp' there, heal the pet at intervals (GW is significantly weaker than a Herc, therefore requiring heals)

You have to pardon me for being skeptical at how people phrase their question and tend to omit important facts when their are trying to land someone in trouble.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Let me ask you a question, since you still avoided it:

Is it wrong to be AFK and leave your pet on defense on a spawn point?

No "she might not have been", "she could have been ignoring you", etc. Simple Yes or no.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mapleblossom
    edited April 2010
    Options

Now, allow me also ask a question to counter his 'accusations':

1. Did the venomancer who apparently 'camp' there, heal the pet at intervals (GW is significantly weaker than a Herc, therefore requiring heals)

nope. to be honest I was farming the same place for a whole hour during my first post before I left. No heal pet or any veno skills were initiated or being used for the entire period and still, that veno is standing there doing nothing. I already made that statement several posts ago. For the last time guys:

The venomancer stood still. No Venomous Scarab, Heal Pet, or any skills were used by the veno! I've sent the user PMs without getting a response, nor do I world chat often to even cause a blacklist initiated on that character. They didn't answer me yesterday, and they didn't answer me today. They had their trade and squad invites disabled by user settings, and lastly, no duel response. The message about trade refusal took about 30 seconds until it spat the message at me, so there you have it.

So tell me, how is that not botting? If they were gone for an emergency, wouldn't they be back by now? Unless it's something like they've gone to prison, or god forbid, died on the computer, which I think is rarely the case, I don't think they were there on the computer. For that long period which is almost 24 hours by now, and for you lazy people, my first post was made: #1 standing, camping, and afk = reportable? - Yesterday, 05:59 AM <---Yesterday being April 3rd, 2010 at 5:59 AM forum time.

I don't care if you have to insult me being whiner or not, hey if you don't have anything nice to say, feel free to go back to general discussion board and move onto the next thread that catches your eye. I just want fair play and like I said, I don't care if you get no EXP out of this. This is game content abuse and it should be addressed to regardless what lvl anyone is.

Now may I ask a GM or forum moderator to lock this thread because the answer was already given to me, I know now that this is against the game rules, and there is no further necessary additional comments needed here. Thank you!
  • FapFapFap - Raging Tide
    FapFapFap - Raging Tide Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Oh my god some guy is stalking a low veno, wtf?
    Care about ur own stuff and not some veno who isn't affecting anyone with this...this is looking so stupid, I'd not even consider thinking about someone who is standing afk there and killing 1 mob that respawns.

You go afk during ur World Quest too, so - bannable? Some ppl go afk on their land mounts to lvl them - bannable?

U even used ur "2nd" computer for some trade request testing...lawl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SuperFlyVeno - Heavens Tear
    SuperFlyVeno - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    LOL FapFapFap you win xD I just ignore this type of thing - I've better things to waste my time with :D

On a more serious note. The main vibe I'm getting from this discussion is the exploitation of the "AFK Pet Defending Bug". According to User Conduct 11:(l) Players agree not to take any of the following actions - "using or exploiting any bugs, errors, or design flaws to obtain unauthorized access to the Service or to gain an unfair advantage over other players."

So I'm guessing that AFK Pet Levelling for long lengths of time is bannable - as mentioned by GMs.

In order, in my view, to prove that this Venomancer is exploiting this bug is difficult with the evidence you have provided. Firstly you need to prove that the Venomancer in question is AFK. As it seems it's almost impossible to prove this due to:

---Player's ability to ignore messages
    ---Player's ability to reject OR ignore duels/trades
    ---Player's ability to ignore PMs

Therefore, the screenshots you have provided means very little (IMO). A more likely way of proving that the Venomancer is exploiting a bug would be to show the mob attacking the Venomancer directly (as it should), and then the pet defending (the bug). If you take repeated screenshots of this occurring - indicating the time changes each time - I'm sure this would be substantial evidence necessary to prove your point. However if this proves not to be the case, and the pet attacks the mob without defending...we could conclude the player is NOT afk.

Hope that was some help :)
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    didnt the great spoons once say that standing AFK with your pet on defend and gaining exp is just the same as botting and can be punished if doing so??
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Oh my god some guy is stalking a low veno, wtf?
    Care about ur own stuff and not some veno who isn't affecting anyone with this...this is looking so stupid, I'd not even consider thinking about someone who is standing afk there and killing 1 mob that respawns.

You go afk during ur World Quest too, so - bannable? Some ppl go afk on their land mounts to lvl them - bannable?

Deep down inside that's what I feel like.

But such behavior (camp-attacking a spawn while on extended AFK) is bannable. In this case, it's like botting without a bot. I understand that. For some odd reason it can indeed affect someone. And gives a player an "unfair" advantage because it's abusing the veno pet system.

IMO it's not compared to someone going AFK on WQ, which doesn't affect anyone in the world and is available to anyone above 70...

The mount one is a bit of a grey area. If the tome "glitch" is made/left there for not losing pet loyalty, then no... if not, well it could be turned around so that players who posses a tome and a mount has an unfair advantage, yada yada. (I bet... even though it's not affecting anyone else either *eyeroll*)
    U even used ur "2nd" computer for some trade request testing...lawl.

I have a second computer, a crappy laptop that I use when I feel like having it the easy way. Mostly for BH purposes, extended AOE grinding, or selling stuff. So that someone else does the same thing doesn't bug me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cholla - Harshlands
    Cholla - Harshlands Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The venomancer stood still. No Venomous Scarab, Heal Pet, or any skills were used by the veno! I've sent the user PMs without getting a response, nor do I world chat often to even cause a blacklist initiated on that character. They didn't answer me yesterday, and they didn't answer me today. They had their trade and squad invites disabled by user settings, and lastly, no duel response. The message about trade refusal took about 30 seconds until it spat the message at me, so there you have it.

So tell me, how is that not botting? If they were gone for an emergency, wouldn't they be back by now? Unless it's something like they've gone to prison, or god forbid, died on the computer, which I think is rarely the case, I don't think they were there on the computer.

From your description, she had her pet on defense mode, and she got disconnected.

Or maybe something else, but if you think getting disconnected is an exploit... well... good luck with that.

And, personally, I have had bad situations where i got disconnected and could not get back on for hours.

Edit: ok if she is there for 24 hours that was not being disconnected, but idk...
  • EverDoom - Harshlands
    EverDoom - Harshlands Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    hmm i i've seen this just yesterday on my nubby barb. some 6x veno was afk by taroc? slaves with a magmite set to defend. everytime the mob respawned and aggroed the veno, the pet just killed it. she also seemed to have something holding down the pickup button picking up every time the mob died. soooo being the awesome person i was, i just dropped a few crappy items and whoa what a surprised she followed it trying to pick it up. i just kept dropping and picking it up until i lead her away from the slaves. is this some new way that venos are trying to attempt at botting?
  • Samaela - Dreamweaver
    Samaela - Dreamweaver Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    She could still have to go somewhere and was in a hurry so she couldn't sign off even if it's been 24 hours...

However, say she did go afk whilst grinding, threads etc etc etc clearly shows that it ain't allowed. But I wonder mapleblossom, exactly how does this make in unfair play? It's not like she gains a lot out of it, and people can grind for hours not being afk as well. It's not allowed, so she shouldn't be doing it, and yes go send a ticket, but unfair play? I don't see how. TBH I think hyper exp and oracles is more unfair, gains loads of exp doing little XP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Samaela[demon cleric]||Nanimee[mystic]||aquaelle[psychic]
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Back when people use to zhen this was brought up a lot. (wizrads afk in aoe mode; clerics afk in BB; Archers afk in aoe mode)

Rule of thumb is:

If a GM walks by and messages said person. And person does not respond. They will receive disciplinary action. ( this applies to the afk veno too)
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    Hakiii - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I can't believe OP is still QQing about this.
    You do know she'd have to be AFK for at least an entire week to gain even the slightest "advantage."?
    Not to mention if I was her I would of ignored you, and I do anyways cause I hate it when people come and stand around me, sometimes I alt-H the whole screen and turn off player visibility.
    If I'm training my pet, it wont get damaged enough to need a heal, so I'm stuck standing there staring at a screen for hours.
    Said veno could of been doing the same thing, which effects no one in the slightest.

I've never had the urge to reply to someone on the forums so bad but dear god, people find the most un-life effecting, minute things important. b:shocked
  • Fiery_Demon - Heavens Tear
    Fiery_Demon - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I've honestly thought about doing the same thing but I gave up the thought when I tried it without going afk. First of all, the person who does that gets a ridiculous amount of exp from it, and it's almost pointless unless you pick up the drops. Second, if this kind of action is bannable, so should be the use of 2 characters at the same time (much more people do that). The problem is, how can you prove if someone's using 2 chars or afk pet leveling? So if you whine about someone leveling their pet, you should consider that having 2 chars online is much more unfair to other people than the level of someone's pet. Oh and third of all, don't you have better stuff to do than stalk a person who's afk and isn't doing anything that would affect your gameplay?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.