Video games and Violence

Options
2»

Comments

• XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    In Airyll's brother's case, you can see several causes to it. ADHD, possible autism, dyslexia (I don't have it, but I know people who do, and who claim it can get frustrating), and father has no discipline.

I have ADHD myself, and I can get agressive when it spikes. I don't get violent, far from that, but it's still a noticeable change of attitude. I find it extremely frustrating, because I realize how annoying I am when it spikes up... because I get frustrated when I can't pay attention to whatever I'm doing. I'll have spells where I can take a nap and be fine with it - others I wish I was on meds for it, like when it's at a point where I'll have insomnia. I'm physically beat, but my brain's wide awake... and no, it's not coffee or anything.

Another case: there was a kid in my school who had ADHD too, but he was a grade under me. AFAIK his upbringing wasn't good; violent father, mother not caring much, and his general bad social skills made the guy go ballistics at times. He was nearly uncontrollable, and he got violent several times, even against teachers and supervisors IIRC. Last I've heard about him, like a year back, something having to do with drug-dealing...

Upbringing and general environment does matter in such cases, but is def. not the only cause. Just as conditions such as ADHD aren't the only causes. Best way I can describe it visually is with potassium and water - both are fine on their own, but bring 'em together and see what it does...

And there's probably more than that.

EDIT: They're not "fine" on their own if you compare it to bad parenting and conditions... but you know what I mean...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • Kaneharo - Dreamweaver
    Kaneharo - Dreamweaver Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    From what I've heard, the same thing's going on in Japan in terms of dating sims, instead of violent games. But either way, video games don't cause violence. Violent people do. The only reason someone would imprint upon a videogame is if certain factors would cause a break between reality and fiction. But the thing is, all forms of media can be guilty of this. Books, movies, even music. I'm not saying these are bad, but obviously, they don't imprint as much as people think video games do. If people imprinted upon video games, in the days of Pong, kids would be wearing white clothes in blacklit rooms playing tennis.
    (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
    ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Pew Pew Pew!
    Quotes of Awesomeness:
    "that word, "solo". i don't think it means what you think it means." - LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ADHD is just a name given to a condition for which drugs can be prescribed. When people quit eating junk food it almost always goes away.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    "Computer games don't affect kids. If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
    -Marcus Brigstocke

Oops =o
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    ADHD is just a name given to a condition for which drugs can be prescribed. When people quit eating junk food it almost always goes away.

Then maybe you should go and do some research on ADHD before you start talking about it. Prick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xxunseenspecxx
    xxunseenspecxx Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    HULK ANGRY! HULK SMASH! b:angry
    Guild History:
    Unlimited [retired guild]
    Conqueror [retired guild]
    BloodLusT [FAIL OF EPIC PROPORTIONZ/retired guild]
    RageQuit [retired guild]

Current Guild:
    Wouldn't you like to know?

Current Status:
    Been jumping rooftops in ADC for the past year and a half<3
    Actively PvP'ing foramz style b:cute
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    Hakiii - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lmao. People get mad so easily over stupid stuff.
    I was violent before I played video games, I play the violent ones to not be violent.
    So all the bawwers about little Timmy and Johnny were corrupted by video games can shove it.
    However I'm sure somewhere someone is weak minded enough to actually be influenced, but no one cares about outliers.
    10cents
  • Teumessia - Heavens Tear
    Teumessia - Heavens Tear Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ...do you all think video games cause kids to be violent or not. Please and Thank you

I think human nature causes games to be violent.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yes, it is very possible for video games to make a person who already has a tendency toward violent thoughts and actions worse, especially children, and those with mental impairments that can make them violent. children are very impressionable, and whatever they see or do the most is going to have an effect on how they behave as adults. it is very well documented that children who grow up in violent households tend to do the same to their own children and family as adults. parents have long known to screen carefully who their children play with, to be careful of bad influiences, to be careful of what they read and watch.

it is no different with games.

Hey i have got a paper in english to do, and was wondering if you all could post ur views on video games and violence. basically do you all think video games cause kids to be violent or not. Please and Thank you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I only want to say one thing, I have adhd and I refuse treatment for it. I have no problem knowing whats real and whats fake. ( when im sober )

Delusions or loss of touch with reality are not syptoms of AD/HD, idiot. You're thinking of schizophrenia.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Delusions or loss of touch with reality are not syptoms of AD/HD, idiot. You're thinking of schizophrenia.

Or weed...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options

ADHD may not have something to do with real/fake, but it's still a condition which has treatments for it. Children with extreme cases can be actually quite violent...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • Spirit_Age - Raging Tide
    Spirit_Age - Raging Tide Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    im using "" , i forget the source and im pariphrasing

"violence in a video game is only a simulation"

and think about it. Taking someone's life irl is alot more moraly bearing then in pixle land
    I quit. Nothing ever changes @ PWE or PW CN . Expansion was over hyped. Guild bases (that looked cool) can be destroyed, so why waste the time if your a in a small faction like me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Dorset. I quit. Nothing ever changes @ PWE or PW CN
    -ZeroDefects-"trollin trollin trollin. keep those flames a rollin. keep that post count growing. flamebait!" -Vitenka- "You are modifying the game files. That's not allowed. The freaking end."