standing, camping, and afk = reportable?

Options
mapleblossom
mapleblossom Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
hi everyone

I was farming some silk thread in secret passage and discovered a venomancer just standing around doing nothing but letting her helpless pet fight one of the ossein skeleton that spawns in a corner. I was wondering, is this cheating or reportable before I submit a ticket and screenshots?
Post edited by mapleblossom on

Comments

• Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    so what your saying by the title of the topic.. that if your freind goes afk you have the right to report it? Thats just ridiculous.
    If the veno was at the spawning spot, it could had been that she was training her pet, my freind does it all the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • mapleblossom
    edited April 2010
    Options
    so what your saying by the title of the topic.. that if your freind goes afk you have the right to report it? Thats just ridiculous.

no but by the positioning of this player, she's purposely afking at the spot where the mob spawns.
  • Kaneharo - Dreamweaver
    Kaneharo - Dreamweaver Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It would only be against the rules if the person in question was killing characters, rather than killing mobs. although it is a bit odd standing in one place waiting for a mob to respawn in a place like that, there isn't really anything against the rules for it.
    (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
    ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Pew Pew Pew!
    Quotes of Awesomeness:
    "that word, "solo". i don't think it means what you think it means." - LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The only safe spot in Secret passage is the place when you first enter. After that the rest is a non-safe zone. so if you in PK bye-bye.

As for what the veno is doing, nope it's perfectly legal within the PWI game. All she would be doing is lvling her pet. She most likely stood there with her pet on protect mode so that it would attack her and then the pet would auto-attack it and "protect" her and gain exp in doing so.
  • mapleblossom
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The only safe spot in Secret passage is the place when you first enter. After that the rest is a non-safe zone. so if you in PK bye-bye.

As for what the veno is doing, nope it's perfectly legal within the PWI game. All she would be doing is lvling her pet. She most likely stood there with her pet on protect mode so that it would attack her and then the pet would auto-attack it and "protect" her and gain exp in doing so.

ok here's a question for you, LifeHunting, When you're actually leveling, regardless of pets or your character, you need to be present for the accountable exp gained. When you're "not present", for some, but not all, I consider that botting, which isn't right for me because it takes away the fairness from other classes who doesn't have that beneficial aid of a pet to actually "defend" or fight for them. I do see your point of pet leveling, but not having your presence is a bit of a cheat to me.

But honestly, I'd like to see what a GM would say about this since they have the last say, thanks for all your inputs! :-)
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ok here's a question for you, LifeHunting, When you're actually leveling, regardless of pets or your character, you need to be present for the accountable exp gained. When you're "not present", for some, but not all, I consider that botting, which isn't right for me because it takes away the fairness from other classes who doesn't have that beneficial aid of a pet to actually "defend" or fight for them. I do see your point of pet leveling, but not having your presence is a bit of a cheat to me.

But honestly, I'd like to see what a GM would say about this since they have the last say, thanks for all your inputs! :-)

Well, veno's are actually one of the weaker classes in PWI. They only seem stronger because of their pets.

True, it may seem like botting. But Veno's are designed so that they can depend on their pet and not have to fight as much.

Veno's actually recieve exp no matter if they or their pet kills the mob. But the thing is, if the veno is training their pet in there. It's more likely that the veno is a high lvl training a new pet (like a herc or nix) to get it to their lvl.

but I do understand how you feel about it, others also may think that, but it's how that class is programmed, so you can't really do anything about it.
  • StormChaos - Heavens Tear
    StormChaos - Heavens Tear Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    TBH its a grey area, and all down to the view of the GM's

If the Veno has gone afk for any length of time and left her pet on auto attack then yes it might be bannable.

Always best just to submit tickets and let the GM's deal with it, will get so many differant views in forums its not worth it
  • Shayisha - Heavens Tear
    Shayisha - Heavens Tear Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    How is this effecting your game in any way?

Sheesh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The other Shay's --> Shaylis 66 Wiz ~ Shaylista 46 Veno ~ Shaylari 31 Psy
  • dalanao
    dalanao Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    How is this effecting your game in any way?

Sheesh.

Looks like someone is guility :)
  • DeadLights - Heavens Tear
    DeadLights - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Going afk while pet lvling is not botting. You obvuosly haven't been a high lvl veno lvling your pet it is quit boring. I've even afked while doing and go watch a movie or something. How can not being there be botting when botting is a program that you run while doing the killing (third party or a drop ****).Just because you dont have a pet to fight for quit QQing.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
  • mapleblossom
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Going afk while pet lvling is not botting. You obvuosly haven't been a high lvl veno lvling your pet it is quit boring. I've even afked while doing and go watch a movie or something. How can not being there be botting when botting is a program that you run while doing the killing (third party or a drop ****).Just because you dont have a pet to fight for quit QQing.

It's not botting. I didn't say it exactly was, but somehow it seems like it. I'm not QQing. I have a lvl 70 Veno and I do know how to play venos. I am MAKING SURE it's not a cheat and providing less work for the GMs to take care of upon ticketing submission.
  • Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
    Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It's not botting. I didn't say it exactly was, but somehow it seems like it. I'm not QQing. I have a lvl 70 Veno and I do know how to play venos. I am MAKING SURE it's not a cheat and providing less work for the GMs to take care of upon ticketing submission.
    Using an external program to send commands in to your character while you are afk for an extended period of time is botting and is against the terms of service. Using the game's built in featuers (pet commands, skill macros, etc.) to go afk for a reasonable period of time is NOT against the terms of service. What the veno is doing is NOT against the terms of service and therefore no ticket should be submitted on that basis.

If a player is griefing another player, which means to intentionally and repeatedly ruin their enjoyment of the game, then that is against the terms of service. A veno that is kill-stealing a singular quest mob so that nobody else on the entire server can get the quest would be griefing... killing an Oessein in Secret Passage is nothing special, there are plenty of such mobs elsewhere, so again what the veno is doing is NOT against the terms of service and therefore no ticket should be submitted on that basis.

Please do not clog the ticket system with baseless complaints as the GMs have to take time to sort through them all to find the valid ones and if there's less chaff, it's better for everyone.
  • Alliptica - Raging Tide
    Alliptica - Raging Tide Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yes, she is botting her pet, report!
    -retired-

now playing megaten and...Forsaken World ;)
  • Lightaine - Dreamweaver
    Lightaine - Dreamweaver Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yeah, ban the pet.

Lol one of the dumbest threads of the day :D
    hai2u
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I actually remember a thread like this a long time ago, where the answers, including a GM's I believe, were the opposite of this. I was really shocked how people are replying, lol. Lemme see if I can find it.

Edit: I can't find it anywhere, wow. The verdict though was it was the equivalent of botting without using a bot, and you're not supposed to be able to level your pet while afk, or get anything except money from a catshop while afk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Shayisha - Heavens Tear
    Shayisha - Heavens Tear Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    dalanao wrote: »
    Looks like someone is guility :)

LOL umm I'm a cleric.... so yeah too funny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The other Shay's --> Shaylis 66 Wiz ~ Shaylista 46 Veno ~ Shaylari 31 Psy
  • xxunseenspecxx
    xxunseenspecxx Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Using the game's built in featuers ... is NOT against the terms of service.

You should probably go find one of the threads that talks about game rules because one of them is no bug abuse. A bug is a built in part of the game that, even though can be done without third party programs, is still considered to cause an imbalance or be unfair because it was not intended to be used in certain ways. The defend option on a pet was not intended to be used for afk leveling, it was made so if they get ganked or aggro a mob unintentionally then the pet will defend them.
    Guild History:
    Unlimited [retired guild]
    Conqueror [retired guild]
    BloodLusT [FAIL OF EPIC PROPORTIONZ/retired guild]
    RageQuit [retired guild]

Current Guild:
    Wouldn't you like to know?

Current Status:
    Been jumping rooftops in ADC for the past year and a half<3
    Actively PvP'ing foramz style b:cute
  • StormChaos - Heavens Tear
    StormChaos - Heavens Tear Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Using the game's built in featuers (pet commands, skill macros, etc.) to go afk for a reasonable period of time is NOT against the terms of service. What the veno is doing is NOT against the terms of service and therefore no ticket should be submitted on that basis.

A Reasonable period of time is the grey area.. Granted going afk to get a drink or nip to the toilet is fine.

But leaving the pet on auto attack while going to watch a movie or to go shopping ISNT a reasonable period of time, and as Aadi has pointed out .. Gm's have said in the past that is bannable.
  • mapleblossom
    edited April 2010
    Options
    A Reasonable period of time is the grey area.. Granted going afk to get a drink or nip to the toilet is fine.

But leaving the pet on auto attack while going to watch a movie or to go shopping ISNT a reasonable period of time, and as Aadi has pointed out .. Gm's have said in the past that is bannable.

okay thanks for your inputs, I'll submit a ticket anyway and let the GMs take care of it.
  • Moog - Lost City
    Moog - Lost City Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    That is bug abuse and is most likely bannable.
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I remember the thread Aadi is talking about - I believe Spoons said that if a player went afk in such a situation to go grab a drink or use the bathroom it was fine. He did say that any player who was afk leveling for a longer period of time could be reported tho. That would go for any of the classes who can afk level.

In the OP's situation it's easily handled anyway - just go grab Dismal and let the aoe kill the veno :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • mapleblossom
    edited April 2010
    Options
    In the OP's situation it's easily handled anyway - just go grab Dismal and let the aoe kill the veno :D

lol wouldn't that get me in trouble instead? but either way, I'll let the GMs do their job b:chuckle
  • Delia - Harshlands
    Delia - Harshlands Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I actually remember a thread like this a long time ago, where the answers, including a GM's I believe, were the opposite of this. I was really shocked how people are replying, lol. Lemme see if I can find it.

Edit: I can't find it anywhere, wow. The verdict though was it was the equivalent of botting without using a bot, and you're not supposed to be able to level your pet while afk, or get anything except money from a catshop while afk.

I remember the thread too
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Allow me to add my two cents to this!

Did you PM this venomancer to check if s/he was AFK or not?

Oh snap, there's something I haven't seen anybody think of.

It's all very well assuming a venomancer is AFK, but the sad thing it it's very possible for a veno to look AFK while not actually being AFK. For all you know if you didn't bother to check, s/he may have been there, perhaps discussing in faction chat if they were in a faction, or maybe just standing there only killing that one mob because s/he was aware other people might need them, too?

Until I actually see something that says you checked to see if s/he was AFK, this is just another stupid story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Celestyna - Heavens Tear
    Celestyna - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options

It's all very well assuming a venomancer is AFK, but the sad thing it it's very possible for a veno to look AFK while not actually being AFK. For all you know if you didn't bother to check, s/he may have been there, perhaps discussing in faction chat if they were in a faction, or maybe just standing there only killing that one mob because s/he was aware other people might need them, too?

Until I actually see something that says you checked to see if s/he was AFK, this is just another stupid story.

this is a good point and something i have done to an extent when i am bored but having to level a pet, tab send it out.. go read the forums, come back, tab send it out, chat in guild..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options

I don't mind when people are just wrong, but when they're giving advice and are wrong on the first page of a post... not many other people are going to read much farther than this and say "ok must be fine" when indeed it is a bannable offense for a veno to use a pet to constantly attack any pets while in defend mode while going afk. As long as they are in front of the computer, or is gone only for a reasonable amount of time, i.e., going to the bathroom, grabbing a quick snack, or answering the door, they're fine. If they are going for an extended time like going to the store to shop or to make dinner, it's not legal. It is considered botting and the offender can indeed be banned.

So stop giving misleading advice when you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

For the record: Who really cares. Killing one mob over and over for the exp means nothing when you have CS, WQ, MQ, BH, HyperXP... the amount of exp they would gain from such a thing is so minimal these days, I don't see the big point. At the rate a veno land pet or herc would take to kill anything that would give you level-equivalent experience without penalties, It would probably take an hour or more to get the same exp you'd get from one oracle. I don't condone doing this, but it just doesn't really matter anymore, in my opinion.

Yes, go ahead and curse me and avoid the filter like you always do when people don't pat you on the back. >.>
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • greekgodkiller
    greekgodkiller Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I don't mind when people are just wrong, but when they're giving advice and are wrong on the first page of a post... not many other people are going to read much farther than this and say "ok must be fine" when indeed it is a bannable offense for a veno to use a pet to constantly attack any pets while in defend mode while going afk. As long as they are in front of the computer, or is gone only for a reasonable amount of time, i.e., going to the bathroom, grabbing a quick snack, or answering the door, they're fine. If they are going for an extended time like going to the store to shop or to make dinner, it's not legal. It is considered botting and the offender can indeed be banned.

So stop giving misleading advice when you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

For the record: Who really cares. Killing one mob over and over for the exp means nothing when you have CS, WQ, MQ, BH, HyperXP... the amount of exp they would gain from such a thing is so minimal these days, I don't see the big point. At the rate a veno land pet or herc would take to kill anything that would give you level-equivalent experience without penalties, It would probably take an hour or more to get the same exp you'd get from one oracle. I don't condone doing this, but it just doesn't really matter anymore, in my opinion.

Yes, go ahead and curse me and avoid the filter like you always do when people don't pat you on the back. >.>

Don't flame me because I had never seen another thread, about this subject. As far as my knowledge lead me to know was that it was fine and there would be no problem.

So really, don't get all attacky on me when My knowledge is limited because i dislike searching through thousands of pages for one single thread that was posted a long time ago and might not even be there anymore. b:surrender
  • mapleblossom
    edited April 2010
    Options

yes I've sent PMs, and duel requests too. Said hi in common chat, no response for a full hour before I decide to leave the area. Also, I don't think just chatting in faction or in PM wouldn't allow him/her to move around. Unless s/he's really that still. >.> She wasn't doing ANYTHING for the entire period I was there. no heal pet either.
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    Hakiii - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Since shes training her pet, the amount of exp she personally gains is probably like 0.0003%
    Which accomplishes nothing. No one wants to constantly stare at the chat box and click the same mob repeatedly for three hours just to get two levels on a pet. Now if she was actually getting exp that makes a difference then sure. But it's not really doing anything. She could of been watching TV in the same room and still be sitting in front of the computer, or browsing other web pages.
    Like others said you can't really place blame on something so trivial and full of holes.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    What lvl is this Veno and it could of been just waiting for something to drop as there is quest to get some items out of the Secret Passage.I really don't see this as being big deal and it wouldn't bother me in slightest.How would this effect your game play none who cares?Who cares what this Veno is doing none of the PKers probably didn't?
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
This discussion has been closed.