How 2 make $?

WaffleChan - Sanctuary
WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Archer
it bamboozles me, no matter how efficiently i try to do things, i dont seem to make much money... so aside from typical answer of 'mercantilism,' can someone give me a realistic method of gaining enough $ to earn a heaven shatterer.

my old one was lost due to unforseen circumstances, and TT is a lousy mess... so, can anyone point a lady in the proper direction on how to amass 40-60m?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
advice to fledgling archers:
Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
Post edited by WaffleChan - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Jennalicious - Sanctuary
    Jennalicious - Sanctuary Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Other than the usual merchanting and cashhopping answers, I don't think there is another way. Some say grinding, but you'll only get that kind of money from grinding if you play 24/7 for a year straight.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Buy dyes, open them, resell in AH at competitive prices.

Worked reasonably well back when gold was around 300k, but I think others started doing it as well, so all dye prices fell. On the bright side, you don't have to have to keep a cat shop up 24/7.
  • Raybeez - Lost City
    Raybeez - Lost City Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Dancezz Numa Numa on west Arch street cornerzz.. den peapole will gives u munny if jooo putz on gud showb:laugh
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    @jenna
    yeah, but seriously, who does that help? i actually need things to put into a cat before i can use it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I guess the only thing is to farm air mobs unless you role another Veno.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Do delta and sell oht/gems/old book pages
    Do cube and sell boxes and page of fate
    do Bh100 when you get there
    Make molds like sky demon pearl, demon slaughter, and misty forest and sell at around 2m in ah
    Do oht daily and sell perfect chi
    Do dt and sell bikinis/rare pet scrolls
    Do abominations and sell badges (need good dd abilities if you want to solo farm)
    Team with a cleric and farm wb
    get on the server right after maintenance and kill mini wbs and sell the fruit (if you can get them do them the next day too as long as you can)
    Grind spiders and ah the glaze

That's basically where all my non tt money came from. some of them you have to know what you are doing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Chezedude - Dreamweaver
    Chezedude - Dreamweaver Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    do TT3-3 5 times and get 10 gold mats :O
    youtube.com/chezedude
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    *shoots cheze with a '50 cal.Then reloads and aims again, just in case...

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Illyana - Dreamweaver
    Illyana - Dreamweaver Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    The answer will not be posted here, I'm afraid.

The way PW works, is that someone finds a niche on how to make money. They keep at it and make a modest amount of money-- then, when the money has been made, someone learns of it. When 2 people do the same thing to make money, you can be sure that a third soon will. Soon, this wonderful way to make money is no longer so wonderful.

Any potentially valid post in here will likely be invalidated within a few weeks, given that many people read these posts.

With that said:
    The best way to make money is probably grinding spiders. Make a set of OHT gear with wood resists only and plop a bunch of wood resist shards (cheap!) into them. Get an anti-wood damage genie and mob all the spiders. Pick up the loot afterwards :)

Also, Asty had some good advice.
    5.0 "Pure" 8jun Sage Clawrcher of Dreamweaver
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    my old one was lost due to unforseen circumstances, and TT is a lousy mess... so, can anyone point a lady in the proper direction on how to amass 40-60m?

fine a man... a rich one at that...
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Shule - Sanctuary
    Shule - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Ok, while I can't tell you exactly how to make 30m, I might be able to offer some insight into the catshop side of things.

Here are a few of the 'styles' of cat shops that I've seen. (there is some overlap between styles)

'the convenience cat'
    This style of catshop is generally set up right where you will need them. Whether they're selling Elemental Essenses at the quest giver, herbs at the apothocary or ultimate substances at the forge, these catshops thrive on players that forget they will need something at this destination.

Some other ideas might include:

celestones / refining aids next to an elder
    rebirth orders at the elder in archosaur
    shards at the crazy stone quest giver
    ultimate substance in front of twilight temple
    chi stones and other genie stuff at the genie npc
    various tradable items needed for a quest at the quest giver
    powders / potions by a PVP location
    wines on the BH platform

overall, this style of catshopping is either very slow, or very profitable, depending on what you're selling, how high your markup is, what the competition is like, and how often you're there. I suggest this method for a small but steady stream of cash.

'the b/s cat'

This catshop style generally requires a great deal of initial investment, has a lot of competition, and depends greatly on your knowledge of current market prices.

Someone running a buy & sell catshop is generally selling items that are in very high demand, that a lot of people are going to be buying and selling at the same time. This could include coral / tokens, mats, hp / mp food, chi stones, shards, etc etc.

Basically, buy low, sell high. Keep a close eye on your margins unless you want your catshop exploited by others.

This catshop style can be highly profitable, so long as you ensure your prices are within the right range to entice people to buy and sell with you, and you choose a location / name that will attract business.

'the farmer cat'

This catshop style is commonly used by those that are two busy to be bothered with mercantilism. These include people running endless FB's / TT's / Rebirth etc. and who then need to unload their haul of drops. Keep your prices low, or you won't sell through your inventory like you want.

I'd suggest this style for people that have accumlated a massive amount of valuable items (like TT mats, molds or 3*** items for example) that they do not need.
    this style of catshoping is usually shortlived, because if you do it right, you'll soon be back to the adventure. This style can be highly profitable, but it requires that you remain very active in hunting for valuable items.

'the clearance cat'

Honestly one of the worst and best types of catshops around. Rarely profitable, but good for finding a deal. I would put lower level people who clear out their banks via catshop into this catagory. Low level tradeskillers who are selling 5 of the same sword, all made by that person, would also fall into this catagory. Not suggested if you wanna make some money, but often good for a deal.

'the craftsman cat'

This style covers those people that go out of their way to assemble / improve an item for the sole purpose of selling it. This would include people selling entire TT sets (buy mats cheap, sell finished product at a gain), leveled up gold genies, premade wines, premade crazy stone shards, potions / powders, 2 star items for tradeskill quests, all class baby pets, high level tomes, rare dyes etc etc.

If you know what you're doing, this is probobly one of the most profitable ways of making money. The main problem is that people might not want to pay your markup for the effort of combining the items / taking the risk of the item not turning out right.

'the scammer cat'

This style gets a mention because I almost fell for it lol. I see a catshop selling stones, and they are all priced as he advertized, except for the last one in the row which is priced with a few extra zero's added. The total extra price would've been like 40 times as expensive as just making it yourself. Be careful what you buy.

Not sure if this has any profitability to it, as I've never tried it.

other money making tactics include:

'the opportunist'
    buying something that obviously has a typo in it's price, or that is being sold extremely cheap out of haste or desperation, and then turning around and selling it at a profit.

'the buyout'
    Buying out a cheap competitor and adding his cheap inventory of items into your own. You assume the risk of selling those extra items, and also that more competition won't come along, but it can be useful to get the customers flowing again.

Again, I can't tell you "go here and do this" but I figure I can give you some general suggestions that might help.
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    'the buyout'
    Buying out a cheap competitor and adding his cheap inventory of items into your own. You assume the risk of selling those extra items, and also that more competition won't come along, but it can be useful to get the customers flowing again.

You should be making money several different ways as sometimes certain ways quickly become unprofitable, probably moreso on a pvp server. The best example I can give, seeing as this market has been shat on, are tokens. Due to the fact the packs come and go token prices fluctuate massively. The key was noticing this almost immediately. Before packs I had 20mil which used to be a decent amount pre-packs. Before the first packs were removed I dumped every coin and sold everything I had into tokens. Once the packs were removed token price more than doubled. Nowadays this has caught on to so many people that a week after packs are introduced token prices are already rising due to deep pockets scooping up tokens under 15k knowing they will rise. I can almost guarantee you will at least break even at this point in the game but don't expect numbers like 6 months ago.

A lot of the stuff listed here is good but tbh everyone makes money differently. What has worked best for me that has been posted was what I quoted. If you have a large amount of money you are willing to risk you can almost control certain markets. These change frequently and the key to knowing which market to exploit takes some experience.
  • Linwiz - Lost City
    Linwiz - Lost City Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    'the opportunist'
    buying something that obviously has a typo in it's price, or that is being sold extremely cheap out of haste or desperation, and then turning around and selling it at a profit.

I know you probably arent going to believe me at all, but I bought 1000 teles for 100k before, the kitty shop had them selling for 100 coins each :D (I was nice and did an event over world chat with them and ended up making 10 mil :P, I know not as much as I could have gotten but they sold damn fast )
  • Szol - Harshlands
    Szol - Harshlands Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    smart catshops and auctioneering is the way to make most cash in pwi... except beeing lucky for corals ofc.

play around with auction house - scan market . get knowledge of prices and like 5-10mil starting capital. everytime u see anything underpriced buy it and resell... well not everytime but u will find out for urselfe....

its kind of surprising whit what kind of **** u can make good money in pwi. most of it coming from lack of knowledge from ppl or lazyness =)

heck there was even a time when u cpuld make money by simply buying tokens ..making some oracles and resell -.-