The "vanishing stuff" issue (on nVidia graphics cards)

Miugre - Heavens Tear
Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Support Desk
I'm willing to bet this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a straight answer in a search. :P

I recently got a new desktop computer with good enough stats to run PWI at near-max settings without any significant drop in framerate. As part of this package, I purchased a nVidia video card (specifically, the "Galaxy" GeForce 200 model with 1GB of dedicated memory) to add to the machine. I specifically chose an nVidia card because only they were rumored to be unaffected by the Tideborn's face color glitch (and that turned out to be true, yay!).

The tradeoff for that, it seems, is randomly disappearing things. These things will only disappear at certain angles, and it seems to get worse over time, as if it's a memory issue. Things I've seen disappear so far include:
  • My main's wings (Elven Radiance / Glory) and my gf's main's wings (Serraphic Mist)
  • The blade of my cleric's Ancient Arbor (the hilt is still there o.O)
  • Any weapon my new psychic equips, except for its glow effect (this is the worst one - over half the time, her weapon is invisible)
  • My barbarian's current weapon (an Ice Breaker, the lv34 polehammer) is affected, according to the char select screen (haven't logged in on him since getting the new comp)
  • Starting armor, as per the now-imfamous "naked" glitch wherein removing one piece of armor while underwater (and leaving the others on) causes that area to become totally bare instead of covered by your starting armor. For my psychic, this also happens on land from certain angles (fortunately, the actual armor she equips never disappears o.O).

I'm wondering if there is a setting on my card or ingame I can change, or a piece of software I can download, which might fix these glitches. I can live with them, it'd just generally be annoying. I also take a lot of screenshots and it'd be hard to take thematically appropriate ones when things randomly disappear.

For the record, I installed the video card drivers from the CD it came with, and they are the correct ones for my OS (Windows 7 64-bit).

Thanks alot.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
Post edited by Miugre - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Mahngiel - Sanctuary
    Mahngiel - Sanctuary Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    My barb's shirts do this. Found darth's link not to change anything. I enjoy the game at max specs anyways.

AMD Phenom II X4 & nVidia 220 btw.
    It's better to look stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by AquaKnightsb:victory
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010
    I am not sure about my DirectX version, but I'll update that when I get home.

I don't want to turn down my settings, as half the reason I bought this machine is so that I could play with them on.

That being said, I notice that when I turn the Water effect off (minimum on the slider), my psychic's weapon comes back. Normally I have it in the middle of the bar (with the actual water effect on but without reflection).

You'd think, given that, that it's a memory thing. But that can't be right. it's a 1GB dedicated video card, it should have no excuse for not showing things properly. And I get a great framerate with or without the water effect on. There has to be a way to see both.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    yeah, glitches like this are all over ingame.
    Most of the advice you will get is either to upload a dxdiag log here (that will be ignored anyway unless is an obvious "update your drivers johnny") or to dumb down your settings to the point the game looks like Southpark. Of course , at that point you won't have any graphical issues, so you see, is not PWI's fault ( lol ).

My advice would be to try to get the latest drivers and maybe a firmware update for your card if something like that is available, then start playing with the graph settings until you find the less buggy setup for you machine. I did just that because I gave up a long time ago on any kind of support from PWI.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010
    Well there's not much PWE can give anyone. Hell, it's not even their code. XD

That said, I didn't make this thread for support from PWE staff. I made this thread to see if any other players knew about workarounds or just why things were happening. For isntance, why would a high-end video card with enough RAM to acheive next to no framerate slowdown (except in West Arch) not be able to render the realistic water effect without making things randomly disappear?

Someone has to have an idea... o.O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    this solution does not work.

My drivers are up to date and I changed the compatibility to 2000 version.

Im kinda peeved off that I bought a 35 dollar mount, the HH, just so all I can stare at is its invisible rear end. And my weapons are constantly invisible, and all that is there is a glow.

A fix to this would be nice.
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
This discussion has been closed.