When to upgrade a Soulsmasher?

Options
Shule - Sanctuary
Shule - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Archer
Ok, so I just put together my Crimsonhorn: Soulsmasher(+5, 2 immac garnets), and I'm rather pleased (even though I'm not yet high enough to use it). I like to plan ahead, and I know I won't be using this bow forever. I've read the weapon comparison threads, and outside of the epic weapons, there isn't much consensus (other then that Wind and Clouds rocks).

So I have 2 simple questions:

1) How long can I really use this bow and remain competitive? (I mainly do PVE like TT, WB, FB/BH, Gamma, etc etc) The guides only comment generally by saying "into the 90's"

2) Which bow should I be upgrading to? If it helps, I'm a pure dex build and I'm looking at interval gear down the line (only have BBM now). I'd prefer that the upgrade be a large upgrade, and not just a small upgrade or a sidegrade. A reasonable pricetag (I consider the Soulsmasher to be reasonably priced for what I'm getting) would also be nice.
Post edited by Shule - Sanctuary on

Comments

• I_Snipe - Lost City
    I_Snipe - Lost City Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I am a 91 Archer [Almost full dex, Vit 13], and am still using my Soulsmasher +2 [no shards]. I will be using it until 95 when i can use my Heaven Shatterer +5

From your avatar, you're 73 but that might be a glitch. So since you have your Soulsmasher already, I am going to assume you're 8x. For you to have a Soulsmasher +5 with immacs, itll last you well into your early 90's. But you shouldn't refine it past +5.

If you aren't rich, you can purchase the Windcatcher Mold [Lvl 88 Xbow, +2.00 Range, -0.01 Int] or farm your HH90 Dragonbow around your late 80's.

Quick Base Stat Comparison:
    Crimsonhorn: Soulsmasher +5
    P.Attack 793-1364

Dragonbow
    P.Attack 741-1375

Keep in mind, the Dragonbow does not have refines, and adds +14~15 dex, so it'll outdamage your Soulsmasher. You can imagine who would win if both were +5.

Now if you are rich, go buy a Heaven Shatterer.
  • Elvindor - Heavens Tear
    Elvindor - Heavens Tear Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    (even though I'm not yet high enough to use it). I like to plan ahead, and I know I won't be using this bow forever.

No he isnt high enough yo use it yet...

I used it till 95 when i got the gold FF bow(isnt the greatest for pvp)....and now i have the heaven shatterer

i would say that bow should last you up till you get your heaven shatterer....

***stupid avatar is glitched at 96....grr, am i lvling to fast O_o lol***
  • I_Snipe - Lost City
    I_Snipe - Lost City Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    [for some reason i failed to read that, and i read his whole post multiple times lol]

adding to what elvindor said, the Broadland bow is nice as well for your level. but it might be a little pricey for you.
  • lmaonade1xp
    lmaonade1xp Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I am a 91 Archer [Almost full dex, Vit 13], and am still using my Soulsmasher +2 [no shards]. I will be using it until 95 when i can use my Heaven Shatterer +5

From your avatar, you're 73 but that might be a glitch. So since you have your Soulsmasher already, I am going to assume you're 8x. For you to have a Soulsmasher +5 with immacs, itll last you well into your early 90's. But you shouldn't refine it past +5.

If you aren't rich, you can purchase the Windcatcher Mold [Lvl 88 Xbow, +2.00 Range, -0.01 Int] or farm your HH90 Dragonbow around your late 80's.

Quick Base Stat Comparison:
    Crimsonhorn: Soulsmasher +5
    P.Attack 793-1364

Dragonbow
    P.Attack 741-1375

Keep in mind, the Dragonbow does not have refines, and adds +14~15 dex, so it'll outdamage your Soulsmasher. You can imagine who would win if both were +5.

Now if you are rich, go buy a Heaven Shatterer.

Actually, in a study that I can't find the link to (but i know it exists >.>), Soulsmasher has around the same DPS as a Dragonbow with the same refines (due to -interval and gloom), so I would say that you can either stay with your soulsmasher till 95, or go for a lvl90 green XBow Blinding Radiance, which most people say is the premium lvl90 weapon for PvP and heavy DD'ing in general.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    If your goal is to be "competitive" with others in the 90s, then you will be on the low end of the damage spectrum. Dragonbow and Windcatcher deal the lowest damage amongst the weapons in the 90s, and CH:S deal a little less than those.

If your goal is to be "adequate" for PvE purposes in the 90s, then you're fine. I cannot speak for TW.

Since you haven't equipped CH:S yet, it's not bound to you. My advice is to sell the CH:S you made. Use W&C in the 70s and 80s, then get Vast Land, Broad Land, or Blinding Radiance. Use whichever until 95, then get Heaven Shatterer. This ensures you are "competitive" with others. If Heaven Shatterer is too expensive, then just wait until 99/100 and get either Dragonbow: Nameless or Constellation: Fall, both of which are reasonably easy to obtain.

If you have not already, get the Bracers of Blood Moon, as well.

I would not necessarily recommend this path to everyone, but it seems you have access to some good resources, so you can take the more expensive path.
  • Shule - Sanctuary
    Shule - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    If your goal is to be "competitive" with others in the 90s, then you will be on the low end of the damage spectrum. Dragonbow and Windcatcher deal the lowest damage amongst the weapons in the 90s, and CH:S deal a little less than those.

If your goal is to be "adequate" for PvE purposes in the 90s, then you're fine. I cannot speak for TW.

Since you haven't equipped CH:S yet, it's not bound to you. My advice is to sell the CH:S you made. Use W&C in the 70s and 80s, then get Vast Land, Broad Land, or Blinding Radiance. Use whichever until 95, then get Heaven Shatterer. This ensures you are "competitive" with others. If Heaven Shatterer is too expensive, then just wait until 99/100 and get either Dragonbow: Nameless or Constellation: Fall, both of which are reasonably easy to obtain.

If you have not already, get the Bracers of Blood Moon, as well.

I would not necessarily recommend this path to everyone, but it seems you have access to some good resources, so you can take the more expensive path.

As far as Bracers of Blood Moon go, I actually am wearing some that were +3 with 4 flawless citrines that I found on a catshop for a reasonable price.

I have thought a great deal about just selling the CH:S. Chained Jail has looked like a tempting weapon to grab just for gammas and then use Wind and Clouds for everything else. I'll take into consideration what you've said. I appreciate the feedback.
  • Skazie - Dreamweaver
    Skazie - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Chained Jail was a good PVE weapon for 8x. I used it and the nice stun addition it has on it saved my butt many times XD

Bad thing is that it doesn't move on to Blinding Radiance QQ
  • LordRaptor - Heavens Tear
    LordRaptor - Heavens Tear Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have Broad land +6 with 2 flawless garnet....
    i will use it till i have a heaven shatter , heaven shatter will maybe be MY endgame bow. I have crimson horn +4 with 2 perfect garnets. I will use it till lvl 85
    Equipment
    ☆Armor of the Assassin
    ☆Decaying Snow Shinguards
    ☆General's Bracers
    ☆Skywalker Shoes
    ☆Broad Land
    ☆Attendance Ring