'Could not launch game'

Xiaoqin - Lost City
Xiaoqin - Lost City Posts: 36 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Support Desk
So I finished the patch updating and press 'Start' - wait a while and a message shows on the launcher saying 'Could not launch game'. I have tried verifying but that did not work, and I will not reinstall PWI because it took me 13 hours before, and I am NOT waiting another 13 hours.

What should I do to get this damn game working?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
내 영혼이 내게에서 수백 년 전 날아 ~
Post edited by Xiaoqin - Lost City on

Comments

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Please review our system requirements, & installation and patching info.

Links below\/ Let us know what you tried and what errors you get. Screenshots helpful.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Lee_Hyori - Dreamweaver
    Lee_Hyori - Dreamweaver Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I have the exact problem. I don't know the exact solution as I'm still trying to figure it out.

But open your Perfect World Folder, then Open the folder "Element". Do you have a file called "elementclient.exe"? I noticed that the file is gone after getting the new patch. It must have something to do with the problem.

I'll update you further once I figure something out.
    retired from pwi b:cry
  • XiangLi - Lost City
    XiangLi - Lost City Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I have an item called elementclient but with no .exe after it. The information on the hover is 'Date Created: 10/01/2009 21:37 Size: 5.72MB' - other than that, I can't find it in the element folder.

The icon is that unidentified blue/white/grey looking window. Shouldn't it be the same icon as the desktop launcher icon?

But if this helps - I recieved about 15 virus notifications all including the 'elementclient.exe' item.
  • darthpanda16
    edited December 2009
    Please read the antivirus info in our FAQ.

Links below.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, the elementclient.exe icon should look like the launcher. And also, it's normal for antivirus to say the file is infected, but it really isn't. Just turn off your antivirus/firewall.

But yeah, i figured out the problem with "Unable to Launch Game." At least for my case. After I installed the new patch, elementclient.exe disappeared. I'm gonna have to get a friend to send me that file. That should fix the problem.
    retired from pwi b:cry
  • _Renesmee_ - Lost City
    _Renesmee_ - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, the elementclient.exe icon should look like the launcher. And also, it's normal for antivirus to say the file is infected, but it really isn't. Just turn off your antivirus/firewall.

But yeah, i figured out the problem with "Unable to Launch Game." At least for my case. After I installed the new patch, elementclient.exe disappeared. I'm gonna have to get a friend to send me that file. That should fix the problem.

well thats fcked upb:angry
  • XiangLi - Lost City
    XiangLi - Lost City Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    So, Renesmee, you know you want to send me that file over msn. b:laugh
  • _Renesmee_ - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    So, Renesmee, you know you want to send me that file over msn. b:laugh

ahhhhhh i dont no if i can find the file >.< im challenged when it comes to finding files....
  • _Renesmee_ - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    sry qin... and stfu i am a not a nub
  • darthpanda16
    edited December 2009
    Don't flame others.

We especially don't take kindly to it here in the tech support forums.

Please be asking for help, or helping others.

Thanks!b:victory
  • _Renesmee_ - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Don't flame others.

We especially don't take kindly to it here in the tech support forums.

Please be asking for help, or helping others.

Thanks!b:victory

>.> she was yelling at me on msn i didnt mean to be nasty to her she wus like RENESMEE SEND ME THE F*** FILE >.>
  • seductivesin
    seductivesin Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    can someone plz send me the elementclient.exe file to my email? xx_hated_sin_xx@yahoo.com
    edited December 2009
  • rxforpain
    rxforpain Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Say error for me also.... my antivirus is off and everything...
  • Elleibo - Dreamweaver
    Elleibo - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I have the same problem has anyone fixed theirs yet?
  • sparhawk78
    sparhawk78 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    my friend is having this same issue, has there ever been any useful information on how to fix this?
  • sparhawk78
    sparhawk78 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    so, what I'm seeing here, is people have been having this same problem since march of last year, and there's still not a single useful post as to what is causing this and how to fix it?

...and apparently the one GM who's responded at all, has basically pointed at links that neither reference this problem nor have any useful information in them correlating to this problem much like most of the so called tech support, I mean... "I can't play the game" is kinda one of those things that should be addressed at least once right? >.<
  • TeegraSwan - Sanctuary
    TeegraSwan - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Please read the antivirus info in our FAQ.

Links below.

I've visited all of those links, and NONE of them are helpful in the least. Please adress the problem yourself instead of sending us several unrelated links to have us search through it, then come up with nothing
  • glenndar
    glenndar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I have traced the problem to a missing "elementclient.exe" also. With my Norton turned COMPLETELY off, I am still unable to keep this file. i was able to move a copy from my desktop (PW works) to my laptop, but when i copy the file to the elements folder, it goes in and after a few seconds it just,,,disappears. Self deletes or something, i don't know what is doing this. Anyone have this happen and been able to fix it?
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited March 2010
    That sounds exactly like what Norton tends to do with unrecognized programs. Are you sure it was turned completely off? Norton can be rather finicky about doing what it wants regardless of what you want it to do.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• glenndar
    glenndar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Well I completely uninstalled my Norton. When I move a copy of that file into he folder, it self deletes after a few seconds. After digging around, I found remnants of Webroot AV, thought that might be to blame. Removed it and was able to keep elementclient on long enough to start game. So i reinstalled Norton and lost ability to run game again. DID add elementclient.exe to the allow list, to no avail. AV is more important than PW so i guess that's it for me.
This discussion has been closed.