Earth Hour

Egaenil - Heavens Tear
Egaenil - Heavens Tear Posts: 853 Arc User
edited March 2010 in General Discussion
Earth Hour is a global event organized by WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature, also known as World Wildlife Fund) and is held on the last Saturday of March annually, asking households and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights and other electrical appliances for one hour to raise awareness towards the need to take action on climate change.

Earth Hour 2010 will take place on March 27, 2010 from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., local time. So NZ is having their Earth hour atm, and I'm about to start mine in about 50mins or so b:cute

I hope fellow PW player can do their bit as part of earth hr :P also help to reduce the lag at west arch just a bit.. i hope b:chuckle What all these mean is, turn off your electrical appliances and light not just "oh I turn off comp, gona watch a bit of TV"

Thank you guys b:thanks be safe while you are in the dark

"here's johnny!!"

just kidding XD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"wink wink"
Post edited by Egaenil - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• XAlchemistx - Lost City
    XAlchemistx - Lost City Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    stuff turning off my laptop i would have nothing to do for an hour. i would prefer to just stay on and lvl my bm
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I didn't know that was today. I have about 13 hours before then, but sure, I'll participate. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Anjiru - Sanctuary
    Anjiru - Sanctuary Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    What about TW?wmgjhz%20(45).gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]b:laugh
    ---
    "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics."
  • shootingstarvn
    shootingstarvn Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    totaly useless , many countries removed this crao b:angry but Europe did not and others b:angryb:cry they should
  • EGiFZ - Heavens Tear
    EGiFZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    b:shy

I hit the ole light box switch off...forgot to make coffee before i comitted to an hr of power outage,,

b:irritated

Cranked up ole coleman camp stove and made it the ole fashion way..

b:scorn

cant sleep now.. too strong of coffee and caffeine..

b:infuriated
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    stuff turning off my laptop i would have nothing to do for an hour. i would prefer to just stay on and lvl my bm
    Yeah, Who needs the Earth? We have PWI!!!!!!

Done my bit already, shut off everything for an hour.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • ZAPATON - Sanctuary
    ZAPATON - Sanctuary Posts: 875 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Turning all off for an hour? What for? Its just buying a bit of time, trying to stop the unavoidable from happening. Earth will die anyway...

... in a few millions of years, so yes, maybe we should buy ourselves some more time. What to do during that hour? Remember what you used to do with your free time before you first touched a computer, TV, etc? Try doing it again.
    Madness?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kitsuneh - Lost City
    Kitsuneh - Lost City Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Turning all off for an hour? What for? Its just buying a bit of time, trying to stop the unavoidable from happening. Earth will die anyway...
    asking households and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights and other electrical appliances for one hour to raise awareness towards the need to take action on climate change.

Read the description..
  • Nexdonum - Lost City
    Nexdonum - Lost City Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    There is nothing that we can do that will hurt or help the climate. The Earth has been around for 6 billion years, having gone through epic volcanos (think of a golf ball, and the dimples being volcanos, all erupting in spurts of literally minutes), massive tsunamis (reaching heights of 4-5 miles in the air, enough to cover many mountain ranges of the world), and ground-breaking earthquakes (if you've seen 2012, you know of the tectonic plates moving, so like that, just not all of them at once). There have been Ice Ages every 10,000-25,000 years pretty regularly for millions of years, and what we are doing to the planet is nothing compared to what it can, and has, done to itself. And turning stuff off to raise 'awareness' isn't logical, as you can be 'aware' without having to do anything. An hours worth of lessened energy consumption isn't going to make a dent in pretty much any way to the climate.

If you're referring to the heat that the electronics puts off, our atmosphere allows forexcess heat to escape the planet relatively easily. Barring the greenhouse effect (which is an event that occurs before an Ice Age), which DOES act as an insulator.

@ZAPATON The earth will survive as long as the Sun does (est. 5-7 billion more years), unless some freak earthquake explodes her, or an asteroid/planet crashes into it. : /

But, don't get me wrong, I applaud everyone being planet-conscious. I even encourage you to do this, if you want to. All I'm saying is my opinion, so do whatever. xP

b:victory
    We have two ears and one tongue so that we would listen more and talk less. - Diogenes

It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them. - Pierre Beaumarchais

You cannot reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - Unknown
  • Zyfou - Heavens Tear
    Zyfou - Heavens Tear Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Earth Hour is a global event organized by WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature, also known as World Wildlife Fund) and is held on the last Saturday of March annually, asking households and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights and other electrical appliances for one hour to raise awareness towards the need to take action on climate change.

I like it better like this:
    WWF.jpg
  • Oakivy - Dreamweaver
    Oakivy - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Rather than raising awareness on something unproven, I'd appreciate if they tried to reduce ignorance and misinformation. Btw, I think "earth hour" started 6 mins ago here.
  • Asmodiel - Heavens Tear
    Asmodiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,442 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Saying "it won't help anyway why should we do it" just proves what a bunch of cowards/a-holes some ppl are imo.

You should think in another way like "if it doesn't help, it won't hurt either".

@Lost City 'gonna lvl bm rather then lower my addiction'-guy: ... nuff said.
    b:bye
    "One of the most important factors, not only in military matters but in life as a whole, is ... the ability to direct one's whole energies towards the fulfillment of a particular task." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZAPATON - Sanctuary
    ZAPATON - Sanctuary Posts: 875 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    @ZAPATON The earth will survive as long as the Sun does (est. 5-7 billion more years), unless some freak earthquake explodes her, or an asteroid/planet crashes into it. : /

I think you missed half of my post... It was written on black so you had to shade it to see it. Would had worked if you had quoted the whole post too XD
    Madness?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I hit the ole light box switch off...forgot to make coffee before i comitted to an hr of power outage,,

b:irritated

Cranked up ole coleman camp stove and made it the ole fashion way..
    This is not a slight at EGiFZ whom I respect for all the events and giveaways he ran.

But turning off our electricity to make coffee with a camp stove defeats the purpose. Our power plants and electrical grid are remarkably efficient. Making coffee with an electric coffee maker uses probably 40% of the energy in the original fuel to heat up the coffee. Using a camp stove is probably only about 25% efficient - most of the heat energy is wasted heating up air which is convected away.

Same thing happened with a restaurant near here. To commemorate Earth Hour, they shut off their lights and used candlelight. Problem is, the T8 fluorescent lights typically used in businesses convert about 12%-15% of the electricity they receive into light. If you figure the power plant generating the electricity ran at 45% efficiency, that's an overall ~5% of the energy consumed being converted to light.

A candle converts 0.04% of the energy it consumes into light. The rest is converted into waste heat. So if the restaurant used candles to lighting their establishment with the equivalent of 4 Watt bulbs (about the level of a night light), and their regular electric lights provided illumination equivalent to a 100 W bulb, the candles burned as much energy for 1/25th the light. If they used T8s for their lighting, the candles burned 6x as much energy for 1/25th the light.

Lower tech is not necessarily more Earth-friendly, and is frequently more damaging.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    There is nothing that we can do that will hurt or help the climate. The Earth has been around for 6 billion years
    Lower tech is not necessarily more Earth-friendly, and is frequently more damaging.

The Earth is far more resilient than people give it credit for. If for any chance we can alter the environment to make it unsuitable for us, life will go on without us. In the face of global catastrophe or extinction-level events... the Earth will survive just fine, even if it is without us.

Global Warming is an agenda and marketing scheme. Many people, including the science and technology sectors get a lot of grants and money to research and develop ways to help 'improve' things. It is an industry in itself and a farce. It is perpetuated to keep people rich.

Global climate change.... happens. An ant colony in the Amazon is no more responsible for earthquakes in China than we are to the heating and cooling cycles of our planet... which, by the way, have been proven to be based more on solar activity cycles and our planet's orbit than anything else. ;P
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.