some build advice?

Options
Miisa - Raging Tide
Miisa - Raging Tide Posts: 39 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Venomancer
i'm starting a new veno, and i really really want to use mostly foxform. i've read the stickied guides and they make sense for the most part, but i'd like to get a few more opinions on what kind of build would make foxform the most effective. any advice/opinions are appreciated. b:victory
Post edited by Miisa - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Every two levels (so 10 stat points to spend), required:
    6 magic
    1 strength

That's the absolute minimum to equip magic weapons and the worst (arcane) armour.

That leaves 3 points to play with.

Foxes get advantage from basically every kind of stat point there is - so you CAN just throw the remaining points wherever feels best.

One example would be to go 7 magic, 1 vitality, 2 strength. It's a hybrid arcane but focussed on strength rather than vitality.

One half-decent option is to go light armour - since defence is multiplied by fox form it makes sense to have lots of it.
    That needs 2 strength and 2 dex - which puts you on 6/2/2 which is all your points. Leaving no room for vitality, which is a real shame.

It does give you a half-decent hit-chance and crit chance (not astounding, but ok) and some strength so that you do some damage when you hit.

Now, if you're willing to spend a lot of time and effort you CAN mix heavy armour and magic weapons - see Rei's guide stickied at the top of the forum. But it's expensive to do it, since you need more stat points than you actually get.

Or, heck - you can go utterly crazy. A fist-using heavy-armour fox-veno is possible and surprisingly effective. But it takes like, ten minutes every time you log in to sort it out. (This build puts EVERYTHING into str and dex)

Of these builds, the hybrid-arcane is probably the sanest, followed by the light.

Edit:
    I'll also mention that much like human-form venos should not ignore the fox tree completely (get amp, get one other) - fox-form venos should not ignore the human form completely (get ironwood, get one other)
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Re-read this stickied guide all the way through (again) if you already have. http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=198681

If you plan to do this, I would stay arcane till lvl 70, find your +stat ortaments, and restat at 70 because of the introduction of TTarmor. Another reason is that foxform doesnt really shine until lvl 70+.

I'm waiting till lvl 90 to do this.
    >.<
  • Namidatears - Harshlands
    Namidatears - Harshlands Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I change to light armor at lvl 60.....useless.In arcane im die in 1 arrow shot or a melee attack...in light armor 2 shots wtf..its the same.Go Heavy armor and you rocks,now the shooters run away XD.And you can use both,heavy or arcane..depends the situation.I use double axes too, after amp damage and spark...dont like to arcanes XD
    Its expensive to build and not for lazy gamers if you play like me changing clotes and weapons in midle of batlle....but believe me...you rocks in this build.
    Follow Rei guide and you ll be fine:http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=198681
    Good luck:bye
    =Palynzer= b:bye
  • _Leiian_ - Heavens Tear
    _Leiian_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    a foxform veno should be LA or HA. And I think that HA with magic weap it's just a waste of power. And LA's not mostly Foxform. u.u
    If u like melee fights, make a barb or bm or assasin, not a veno.
    And fox form is for melee.
    And LA isnt good - according to me - after 90.

Then, AA is good from 80-90, LA is the best way to go until 90 (@ who said that LA is good after 70. U_U)
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    Options
    a foxform veno should be LA or HA. And I think that HA with magic weap it's just a waste of power. And LA's not mostly Foxform. u.u
    If u like melee fights, make a barb or bm or assasin, not a veno.
    And fox form is for melee.
    And LA isnt good - according to me - after 90.

Then, AA is good from 80-90, LA is the best way to go until 90 (@ who said that LA is good after 70. U_U)

Speaking of my experience as LA. I restatted to LA at lvl 70 thinking it was the best for foxform, not knowing of this stickied heavy/robe build on the forums. A few lvls later I came to find out it wasnt the best for mellee attacks, because even though you gain a good amount of accuracy and evasion, its useless when your physical attack sucks.
    Also restatted to this build for more physical defense in foxform, sharded with garnets I gained 7.7k buffed in fox at lvl 70. No, that wasnt enough for me. I'm aiming for 20k+. And that I will have nearly that buffed at lvl 90. http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=520b898ebfde999b
    compare that to what i originally was going for at 90 http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=d884fb8c2f857379 Alot better for me to go heavy armor. My TT90 set is almost complete, and im working on getting the GBS for the mantle now (since 2x drops is on)
    This way I can use my sleeves of the sea capt at lvl 90.

I think the only reason you should do LA after lvl 90 is for crit. (like 25%-30% endgame)
    I'm not saying crit isnt good, but there's a such thing as too much (so much that you draw aggro from critting too much) IMO your better off with channeling rings.

Im also stopping at TT90 heavy armor, this way i have more freedom of what ortaments and rings i want to use later on.
    >.<
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm working on a (mostly) foxform heavy/arcane veno now, got her up to level 27.

All foxform damage is based on phys attack, which is increased by strength, so going heavy will be better for you (damage wise) than light.

Her current build:
    YamamoriYuki - Raging Tide
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Esuna - Raging Tide
    Esuna - Raging Tide Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Speaking of my experience as LA. I restatted to LA at lvl 70 thinking it was the best for foxform, not knowing of this stickied heavy/robe build on the forums. A few lvls later I came to find out it wasnt the best for mellee attacks, because even though you gain a good amount of accuracy and evasion, its useless when your physical attack sucks.
    Also restatted to this build for more physical defense in foxform, sharded with garnets I gained 7.7k buffed in fox at lvl 70. No, that wasnt enough for me. I'm aiming for 20k+. And that I will have nearly that buffed at lvl 90. http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=520b898ebfde999b
    compare that to what i originally was going for at 90 http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=d884fb8c2f857379 Alot better for me to go heavy armor. My TT90 set is almost complete, and im working on getting the GBS for the mantle now (since 2x drops is on)
    This way I can use my sleeves of the sea capt at lvl 90.

I think the only reason you should do LA after lvl 90 is for crit. (like 25%-30% endgame)
    I'm not saying crit isnt good, but there's a such thing as too much (so much that you draw aggro from critting too much) IMO your better off with channeling rings.

Im also stopping at TT90 heavy armor, this way i have more freedom of what ortaments and rings i want to use later on.

Then I took the buffs off your pwcalc and realized you built a Veno with 4.7k HP, mediocre PhDef and terrible MagDef. Have fun getting one shot by any other arcane class.

HA at 90 is a terrible idea, I've said it in other threads as well. Especially if you don't have the funds to make it work. You're now forced to wear sucky capes and weapons such as the Requiem Blade, D. Panther rings and Ghost Mantle -shudders-. That's some terrible gear. I also don't quite understand why the Sky Demons Pearl over a Swindlers Necklace, your belt and necklace are both pdef adding ornaments. Wrong way to go. If you were to get something nice like an event ring, cape or weapon you wouldn't even be able to wear it, that's just a shame.

I'm not entirely sure why there are fanatics rushing to be HA at 90, or even earlier. HA is purely a PvP build and extremely expensive to make work properly, there are no other practical uses unless you want to be a tank without invoke or aggroing skills (we has herc lulz, why would you want to tank qq)

Also, LA 25-30% Critrate? Wtf lol. I'd assume LA build to you means with minimum STR/DEX for the armor, which is 94 of both? (or you'd need to wear lv30 mag items if you pump more DEX)

94 DEX = 4%
    Neon Purgatory = 2%
    Sign of Antiquity: Chaos = 3%
    Elite Woven Fang Arrow = 1%
    Archangel's Pendant = 1%
    Dancing Sparkle = 2%
    Demon Wood Mastery = 2%

I end up at 18% Crit with this particular item build. Not sure how you will reach 25%-30%.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gotta love the cash shop idiots.
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    that arrow give you nothing real
    anyway, i suppose something like this http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=d5d666b759cc54d1
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Then I took the buffs off your pwcalc and realized you built a Veno with 4.7k HP, mediocre PhDef and terrible MagDef. Have fun getting one shot by any other arcane class.

4.7k Hp unbuffed at lvl 90 is good considering cheap refines.
    Also that only shows me in heavy armor. Hence why my magic defense is low (naturally low in heavy armor) I can still switch to robes for more magic defence whenever I wish.

HA at 90 is a terrible idea, I've said it in other threads as well. Especially if you don't have the funds to make it work. You're now forced to wear sucky capes and weapons such as the Requiem Blade, D. Panther rings and Ghost Mantle -shudders-. That's some terrible gear. I also don't quite understand why the Sky Demons Pearl over a Swindlers Necklace, your belt and necklace are both pdef adding ornaments. Wrong way to go. If you were to get something nice like an event ring, cape or weapon you wouldn't even be able to wear it, that's just a shame.

Making the heavy/robe build doesnt mean you have to have the most exspensive tomes and ortaments. The reason Im using the sky demon's pearl is because it helps me obtain the extra stats i need. I wil be switching the ortaments out for element defense ones later. Also ghost mantle being ****? It gives more +stats than any of the event capes. The only event cape i would even think about getting would be Lunar glade capes with -interval or -channeling.

I'm not entirely sure why there are fanatics rushing to be HA at 90, or even earlier. HA is purely a PvP build and extremely expensive to make work properly, there are no other practical uses unless you want to be a tank without invoke or aggroing skills (we has herc lulz, why would you want to tank qq)

Heavy armor doesnt have to be a pure pvp build. It can make a good pve build too. Venos can be a tank with alpha male (to hold aggro) and bramble hood (if you have to quickly switch to human to cast) However with a good cleric, there wouldnt be any need to "invoke or hood". If you understood my gameplaying style and how i like taking hits as opposed to avoiding them. i.e. i like being mellee ganked. you would understand why I'm going heavy.

Also, LA 25-30% Critrate? Wtf lol. I'd assume LA build to you means with minimum STR/DEX for the armor, which is 94 of both? (or you'd need to wear lv30 mag items if you pump more DEX)

Endgame 25-30%. Not at lvl 90. Im talking about around lvl 100.
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=90e606cd38690e40 27% crit with demon mellee mastery. (Not counting demon wood mastery. That would bring it up to 29%.

94 DEX = 4%
    Neon Purgatory = 2%
    Elite Woven Fang Arrow = 1%
    Archangel's Pendant = 1%
    Dancing Sparkle = 2%
    Demon Wood Mastery = 2%

I end up at 18% Crit with this particular item build. Not sure how you will reach 25%-30%.

replies in red.
    >.<
  • kenlee
    edited March 2010
    Options
    but demon wood mastery and melee mastery crits dont stack
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    Options
    kenlee wrote: »
    but demon wood mastery and melee mastery crits dont stack

So I'm assuming that you only get that extra 3% crit in foxform if you switch to foxform, and you get the 2% from demon wood mastery if you stay in human form. right?
    >.<
  • kenlee
    edited March 2010
    Options
    yea
    /10chars
  • Twinkes - Dreamweaver
    Twinkes - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ~ No comment ~ b:shocked