Someone is botting?

Options
blindeyesniper
blindeyesniper Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
I think they may be botting. What do you think?

A sin and a cleric. Cleric was wearing crappy npc gear. Sin is the one that's doing all the killing and cleric heal sin whenever he has about 2/3 left on his health bar. Cleric doesn't attack, just heal that LA Sin once in a while. I decided to test the Sin. I drop 2 - 3 piles of 1 coins next to him repeatedly to see if he'll go and try to pick them up after he kills the mob. He did almost every time. If he can't pick it up, he'll go to the next item, and if he can't pick that item up also, he'll just leave everything and go on killing. That was the pattern I noticed. So anyway, I decided to take argo of the mob he's hitting and take him to those tower guys. He followed and took argo of the towers. The cleric healed and took agro off the towers and died. He has a charm on so he was able to kill the tower and the mob and go on killing. I was there for a good 30 minutes and he did not say anything at all during the time.

I took some S/S. Will be up soon.
Post edited by blindeyesniper on

Comments

• Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Whisper him saying "Are you a bot?" screenshot it if there's no reply for a long time and send it in.

When you're uploading your screenshots, be sure to block out the names. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Whisper him saying "Are you a bot?" screenshot it if there's no reply for a long time and send it in.

When you're uploading your screenshots, be sure to block out the names. b:victory

i don't know about any of you... but i would certantly answer "YES" if someone asked me that question.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Erm.. who really cares... exp is practially given away these days. There is no need for anyone to bot, it's just silly.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i don't know about any of you... but i would certantly answer "YES" if someone asked me that question.

The point is, people might not reply to any other kind of PM, but if they're faced with the idea of being reported, they will reply to it. If there's no reply, obviously they're not there. This was a strategy suggested by a GM b:sweat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
  • blindeyesniper
    edited March 2010
    Options
    EDIT: I didn't report him. I didn't want to get someone banned if I was wrong.
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The point is, people might not reply to any other kind of PM, but if they're faced with the idea of being reported, they will reply to it. If there's no reply, obviously they're not there. This was a strategy suggested by a GM b:sweat

really? cause it's a VERY common occurrence for randoms to msg me threaten or stateing that they have reported me. and if all those are ture... pwi would probably have a few thousand tickets of me farming herbs/rocks/****, pking in pk rooms, and cutting in line for marriage bosses. nowadays i can't even step on a blade of grass without being "reported". 99.9% of those so-called reporting pms are just from no life little kids trying their very best to scare you... and since my time is a lot more valurable (to me) its truely a waste of key stokes to reply.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

• xerowings
    xerowings Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    what if its 1 person with 2 computers? :P

that would explain the part of the cleric being afk

meaning they just run to the other computer for heals..

dunno if thats legal but...
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    Options
    really? cause it's a VERY common occurrence for randoms to msg me threaten or stateing that they have reported me. and if all those are ture... pwi would probably have a few thousand tickets of me farming herbs/rocks/****, pking in pk rooms, and cutting in line for marriage bosses. nowadays i can't even step on a blade of grass without being "reported". 99.9% of those so-called reporting pms are just from no life little kids trying their very best to scare you... and since my time is a lot more valurable (to me) its truely a waste of key stokes to reply.

Really? I've never had that threatened to me, since I started playing. Maybe it's just because I'm not well-known or in a faction that might cause me drama? I don't know, maybe server has to do with it as well. Or maybe not. Something's different that makes you get those threats, but doesn't make me get them.

I said that method mainly because it was exactly what a GM said to do at some point. It's very hard to prove botting with screenshots, and a description of what happened probably isn't enough evidence since it's just your word against theirs. I know that if I was grinding, and someone said, without flaming or being rude, "Are you a bot?" I would at least reply so they would know I wasn't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Etienelablue - Raging Tide
    Etienelablue - Raging Tide Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    maybe they were on vent --to busy to chat with ya.--
    or they were on vent and they don`t speak eng ! so they avoid ya!
    b:shockedwhaaat?! it can happend!!
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Really? I've never had that threatened to me, since I started playing. Maybe it's just because I'm not well-known or in a faction that might cause me drama? I don't know, maybe server has to do with it as well. Or maybe not. Something's different that makes you get those threats, but doesn't make me get them.

I said that method mainly because it was exactly what a GM said to do at some point. It's very hard to prove botting with screenshots, and a description of what happened probably isn't enough evidence since it's just your word against theirs. I know that if I was grinding, and someone said, without flaming or being rude, "Are you a bot?" I would at least reply so they would know I wasn't.

i would say its mainly the guild and your attitude toward the game. i remember one time at the marriage quest thing where you have to skill spiders for 5 drops. some random cleric accoused me of ksing... even thou my arrow would have left my bow before the cleric's channel... and would have hit the target before the cast even finishes. supposely got reported to the gms and my guild leadership. even said that hes friends with my guild officer and will get him to come and kill me. i think i said answered something along the line of "if ***** do come out... i'll kill him with you". never heard another peep out of the cleric again... i even circled back after killing boss to see if anyone did show up to kill me... nada. went as far as saying in guild chat what *****'s friend needs his help... still nada.

so yea... mostly just empty threats. once in a while the interesting ones will get my reply... all the others gotta keep on trying until they make it interesting.

• Aadi - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i would say its mainly the guild and your attitude toward the game. i remember one time at the marriage quest thing where you have to skill spiders for 5 drops. some random cleric accoused me of ksing... even thou my arrow would have left my bow before the cleric's channel... and would have hit the target before the cast even finishes. supposely got reported to the gms and my guild leadership. even said that hes friends with my guild officer and will get him to come and kill me. i think i said answered something along the line of "if ***** do come out... i'll kill him with you". never heard another peep out of the cleric again... i even circled back after killing boss to see if anyone did show up to kill me... nada. went as far as saying in guild chat what *****'s friend needs his help... still nada.

so yea... mostly just empty threats. once in a while the interesting ones will get my reply... all the others gotta keep on trying until they make it interesting.

Lol, I guess faction is a big part of it. A lot of lower levels resent the highest factions, and judging by your level you're probably in one, not that I would know since I haven't been on my HT alt in months. b:surrender I'm factionless so I guess that's why I don't have that problem.

However, I still believe that for the average player that strategy would work. It only wouldn't work if the player is used to drama in PMs. There's always the "report hacking" button, but I'm not sure what it actually does...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SwiftKitten - Dreamweaver
    SwiftKitten - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i find botting not really be an issue in this game.

sure with enough time I'm sure someone can make one.

But what i have seen around are just cat shops that repeat the same message over an over.

or a program that presses tab then alt+1 to kill staunch worms. neither of which are really even remotely as complex as the "follow" button already given to us in-game.

as far as a bot that will actively kill and defend and make u coin and stuff. As far as i know they don't exist.
  • xerowings
    xerowings Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i remember when i first started this game and joined a faction.. i lvl'd so slowly...

and i figured out why

grinding is useless, only the quest rewards, now on my second character i got up to the same level in 1/4th of the time, im amazed i figured it out..

more importantly

ULTIMATE ANTI-BOT TOOL:
    Random events?... like maybe some genie spawns and you have to click on him to get a lamp which gives you exp, skill points, cash, and items, something like that will fix everything. Just dont O.D. on randoms like another game did to the point where instead of being random the events became typical
  • ZAPATON - Sanctuary
    ZAPATON - Sanctuary Posts: 875 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I know that if I was grinding, and someone said, without flaming or being rude, "Are you a bot?" I would at least reply so they would know I wasn't.

I know that if I was grinding, and someone said, without flaming or being rude, "Are you a bot?" I wouldn't reply XD Just to see what will the person do
    Madness?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    if you suspect a player of botting, please submit a ticket or use LiveChat from here:

http://support.perfectworld.com/

Even if the GM's don't get to your ticket until the suspect logs off, they do have ways to retroactively investigate and take action :)

Thanks!
  • doctoryak
    doctoryak Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Some people are just like that, and idk about u, but when i cant pick up something I just continue on grinding and what not, why would i stay and wait? thats a waste of time. So what if cleric was just healing? Maybe it was 1 person with 2 comps, which is legal, or maybe it was a friend that was helping him grind. To th whole responding thing, maybe, just maybe, that person speaks little to no english. I think you're overthinking it IJS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    It would of been best just to report it to support using the ticketing system.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • blindeyesniper
    edited March 2010
    Options
    doctoryak wrote: »
    Some people are just like that, and idk about u, but when i cant pick up something I just continue on grinding and what not, why would i stay and wait? thats a waste of time. So what if cleric was just healing? Maybe it was 1 person with 2 comps, which is legal, or maybe it was a friend that was helping him grind. To th whole responding thing, maybe, just maybe, that person speaks little to no english. I think you're overthinking it IJS.

Well, it wouldn't be so suspicious if he had picked up all the DQs that dropped from the mob after trying to pick up the coins that I drop right in front of him several times. I'm pretty sure an intelligent person would stopped trying to pick up the coins that I dropped after 10 or so times. Also, he always attempt to pick up different piles of coins dropped by me twice before moving on to the next mob. He would completely ignore the DQ drops from mob that he killed if he fails to pickup my coins.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That's an interesting test, and I like the deductive reasoning behind it. I think it's also worth investigating this person too, as a normal player would get the hint eventually.

Also, I've been accused of botting on my veno merely because I was tabbing to those glowing worms near Raging Tide city and didn't move for about 45 mins leveling her nix. I was teleported all over the place by a GM who couldn't even spell their own name right to message (teleported me to RT city, I flew back, teleported me again, I flew back, teleported me near the WB Ton, flew to a nearby city to teleport back, then they teleported me back outside RT, I flew back), and it was a rather unique event. Sufficed to say, I wouldn't even know how to bot in this game and I avoid games that do allow em, but even then I was accused falsely by another player merely because they didn't know how to use the tab function.

Normally I would say the accuser here probably hasn't taken all things into consideration but their tests, if done exactly as worded, make me suspicious of the person they were watching given the way they were attacking mobs and picking up drops.
  • Teh_fishey - Dreamweaver
    Teh_fishey - Dreamweaver Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options

Exactly. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Note: No thats not me... I stole that from the interwebs b:chuckle
    BTW.... YOU ROCK FORSAKENX <3

I like to think of myself as a dog, I can be cute and cuddly but sniff people's butts and get away with it ><>

Warlock recruiting lvl 70+ on the Dreamweaver Server.
    PM an officer for an invite.

b:heartb:flowerb:faint
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well, it wouldn't be so suspicious if he had picked up all the DQs that dropped from the mob after trying to pick up the coins that I drop right in front of him several times. I'm pretty sure an intelligent person would stopped trying to pick up the coins that I dropped after 10 or so times. Also, he always attempt to pick up different piles of coins dropped by me twice before moving on to the next mob. He would completely ignore the DQ drops from mob that he killed if he fails to pickup my coins.

here is the thing... what do you really expect him to do when you drop coins? if he picks up hes botting. and if he doesn't... you can and probably will accuse him cause he ignored drops.
    i leveled the first 60+ levels of my cleric (pre-bh) by afking her in the air (on follow) and i run around on the ground killing all the mobs... once in a while i'll hit the ironheart on my other comp to heal my primary. i have my chat window minized to 3 lines (to better see the mobs) and have my player display turned off (as i don't care for anyone around there). there is a good chance that if any player run next to me and drop ****... that i won't see them and will assume its a mob drop. and in my case i rarely pick up any drops... so there is a **** loads of **** all around me. well... that could be considered to be a pretty good sign of botting... killing mobs... not picking up drops... ignoring players... ignoring messages... but in reality i am not botting at all... i just have two computes and don't give a **** about people who can't mind their own business.
    and in your case... you lured his mob away (could be possibily considerd to be griefing) as it lead to the death of his cleric. and if i were in his shoes... my cleric just aggro and died. of course i'll continue and kill all the mobs that i aggroed since there is no point crying over spilled milk (aka dead cleric). and i won't care if your there for 30 or 300 minutes. as long as i still have quests in the area... you can take a 2nd seat to the quest mobs.

• blindeyesniper
    edited March 2010
    Options
    here is the thing... what do you really expect him to do when you drop coins? if he picks up hes botting. and if he doesn't... you can and probably will accuse him cause he ignored drops.
    i leveled the first 60+ levels of my cleric (pre-bh) by afking her in the air (on follow) and i run around on the ground killing all the mobs... once in a while i'll hit the ironheart on my other comp to heal my primary. i have my chat window minized to 3 lines (to better see the mobs) and have my player display turned off (as i don't care for anyone around there). there is a good chance that if any player run next to me and drop ****... that i won't see them and will assume its a mob drop. and in my case i rarely pick up any drops... so there is a **** loads of **** all around me. well... that could be considered to be a pretty good sign of botting... killing mobs... not picking up drops... ignoring players... ignoring messages... but in reality i am not botting at all... i just have two computes and don't give a **** about people who can't mind their own business.
    and in your case... you lured his mob away (could be possibily considerd to be griefing) as it lead to the death of his cleric. and if i were in his case... my cleric just aggro and died. of course i'll continue and kill all the mobs around since there is no point crying over spilled milk (aka dead cleric).

The thing is, he does pick up drops. In fact, he picks up every single drops from the mob if I didn't drop anything around him. He stopped picking up drops after he failed to pick up the coins that I dropped. Had I not dropped any coins around him, he would continue picking up any and all drops dropped by mobs.

His cleric died and never came back. He continued killing mobs without the cleric.
  • Crypsis - Lost City
    Crypsis - Lost City Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Or maybe he was on hyper exp that costs loads of money and he was tired as hell of people bothering him/ruining his hyper exp session and you're even luring his mobs away and gets his cleric killed?

Kinda could have been me when i was leveling. Had my cleric (that was wearing **** gear) logged in on my lap top following me and spam healing while i had my sin on my desk top. Looked exactly like that. And no i didn't talk to people either, just killed and picked loot while chatting in vent or listening to music. Occasionally typed:

"can you pls leave me alone"

To people that couldn't mind their own businesses. Cuz like after a while you get kinda annoyed with randoms constantly asking for buff ress, attacking same mob when you dont wanna party, spamming for party and just being idiots when you're trying to lvl. So you ignore everyone in the area and just keep doing your thing. There is nothing in ToS that sais you have to communicate with people that keeps bugging you.

And specially if youre on hyper exp, than you surely dont have time with some dork messing around trying to chatt, party or doing little experiments to figure out if you're botting. You just wanna kill mabs and be left alone and lvl up ;(
  • blindeyesniper
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Or maybe he was on hyper exp that costs loads of money and he was tired as hell of people bothering him/ruining his hyper exp session and you're even luring his mobs away and gets his cleric killed?

Kinda could have been me when i was leveling. Had my cleric (that was wearing **** gear) logged in on my lap top following me and spam healing while i had my sin on my desk top. Looked exactly like that. And no i didn't talk to people either, just killed and picked loot while chatting in vent or listening to music. Occasionally typed:

"can you pls leave me alone"

To people that couldn't mind their own businesses. Cuz like after a while you get kinda annoyed with randoms constantly asking for buff ress, attacking same mob when you dont wanna party, spamming for party and just being idiots when you're trying to lvl. So you ignore everyone in the area and just keep doing your thing. There is nothing in ToS that sais you have to communicate with people that keeps bugging you.

And specially if youre on hyper exp, than you surely dont have time with some dork messing around trying to chatt, party or doing little experiments to figure out if you're botting. You just wanna kill mabs and be left alone and lvl up ;(

Okay, if you were him, would you continuously trying to pick up coins that I dropped right in front of him for 10 20 times knowing that you can't pick them up? Would you also stop picking up your DQs like you previously were because you can't pick up the coin piles that I dropped? If he was on Hyper, why would he waste his time picking up coins that I dropped knowing that there's no way he's able to actually pick those up?
  • Crypsis - Lost City
    Crypsis - Lost City Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Okay, if you were him, would you continuously trying to pick up coins that I dropped right in front of him for 10 20 times knowing that you can't pick them up? Would you also stop picking up your DQs like you previously were because you can't pick up the coin piles that I dropped? If he was on Hyper, why would he waste his time picking up coins that I dropped knowing that there's no way he's able to actually pick those up?

Yeah you're right no one picks coins on hyper lol. He can however have been playing ctrl-f9 /minimum settings and than you cant really see whats going unless someone is really close by. You just tab for next mob and click pick up.

Or he was actually using some third party program with auto-loot/heal/bot/potting and god knows what b:shocked

I have no clue. But normally if a player just kills mobs, loots and ignores everything around him, in most cases they're just grumpy and want privacy/or on exp scroll.
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    when im doing my own thing ingame i dont give a **** about other people unless someone needs help in the faction im in & if you keep buging me ill tell you to **** off ,but yea i do think tht person was botting from the details you gave
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • oxytorch
    oxytorch Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yeah this definatley seems like botting behaviour , good on you for reporting it . To all the idiots says its not botting , would you not have responded after your cleric got killed ????? im just saying..... Even the most ignorant prick who ignores everyone would say something (in any language !! ) to that !!

Simple answer... their not there.

I hope they enjoy their ban b:laugh
    b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry We love this game STOP RUINING IT !! b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry

"Sometimes the strongest are the ones that walk away . Enough is Enough ".
  • Rerun - Harshlands
    Rerun - Harshlands Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I think they may be botting. What do you think?

A sin and a cleric. Cleric was wearing crappy npc gear. Sin is the one that's doing all the killing and cleric heal sin whenever he has about 2/3 left on his health bar. Cleric doesn't attack, just heal that LA Sin once in a while. I decided to test the Sin. I drop 2 - 3 piles of 1 coins next to him repeatedly to see if he'll go and try to pick them up after he kills the mob. He did almost every time. If he can't pick it up, he'll go to the next item, and if he can't pick that item up also, he'll just leave everything and go on killing. That was the pattern I noticed. So anyway, I decided to take argo of the mob he's hitting and take him to those tower guys. He followed and took argo of the towers. The cleric healed and took agro off the towers and died. He has a charm on so he was able to kill the tower and the mob and go on killing. I was there for a good 30 minutes and he did not say anything at all during the time.

I took some S/S. Will be up soon.

1) Dont be snitch...... why do u even care if that was bot or not, just go do ur Daily, BH and go to bed.

2) If u want to be snitch, plz have some balls and show us ur name,...

3) Repeat step 1 and 2
  • Tjikkie - Raging Tide
    Tjikkie - Raging Tide Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ^^ This

and

LOL you spent half an hour for nothing?
  • Illusiva - Heavens Tear
    Illusiva - Heavens Tear Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    1) Dont be snitch...... why do u even care if that was bot or not, just go do ur Daily, BH and go to bed.

2) If u want to be snitch, plz have some balls and show us ur name,...

3) Repeat step 1 and 2

Can't really see why you personally should be so bothered if he reports them on suspicion of botting...

*looks at your avatar* unless of course it happens to be your assassin. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[ 5x Venomancer | 3x Psychic | 1x Cleric | 0x Assassin | 0x Blademaster ]
This discussion has been closed.