LA psychics- The dmg lowered by how much?

Options
Jibreel - Harshlands
Jibreel - Harshlands Posts: 157 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Psychic
so i read 2 guides.. the pure INT one seems less survivable but more dmg which i want on my alt mainly. but the LA seems good.. but i want to know how much of a difference it makes? a huge one or minor?
Post edited by Jibreel - Harshlands on

Comments

• Shealu - Heavens Tear
    Shealu - Heavens Tear Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    It all depend against what build you compare it
    If you compare it to a full mag build, there will be a huge difference i think
    But compared to a psy that put most point in mag and a few in vit you get the same mag and same dmg if you go LA
  • wnight
    wnight Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    By Ecatomb calc:
    Naked without equipment except weapons

Lvl 100
    Pure :

Vit 5
    Str 52
    Dex 5
    Mag 453+19(from TT 99 Sphere) non refined

MAtk: 5634-7219

LA:

Vit 5
    Str 97(103)
    Dex 97(103)
    Mag 335(323)+19(TT 99 Sphere) non refined

MAtk:4285-5490(4167-5338)

Enjoy b:victory
  • Jibreel - Harshlands
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ty wnight.. so theres like a 2k difference. but does the crits fill in that gap?
  • Samsoul - Lost City
    Samsoul - Lost City Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Keep in mind that with LA you'd only get like 5% crit.

You'd crit a bit more than pure mag, but I personally don't believe it makes up for the lack in m.atk, which is a continious dmg output.
    Samsoul - fail psychic of Lost City!

...I will melt your brain... and decrease your IQ by 150...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryukage
    ryukage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You should also keep in mind that magic multiplies damage from your rings and that crits multiply damage from everything, including your skills.

But, also, if only your damage mattered, no DDers would refine their armor until they had a +12 warsoul weapon.

Point #1: LA armor is crappy and it won't save you or keep you alive much longer. You are going to always be squishy in any armor type. Why be weaker at the same time?

Also don't forget, LA armor is considered the worst endgame armor type for a good reason: Its better to have one great defense, than have two mediocre ones that barely protect you. In robes you're well protected against magic, even if physical really hurts. In LA, both sides hurt pretty bad in the endgame.

Point #2: Try to remember something. Psychic is the DPS casting class, we're not spec'd for spike damage. We don't have super 500% weapon damage spells like Wizards do. We hit for less damage per hit (except for the basic nukes), but we channel quickly on all of our direct attack skills. This means our class benefits more in the grand scheme from a consistent output, not an erratic "hope I crit" one.

Point #3: Most good crit gear is usable by either armor build. Anyone with any math skill will realize that the crit rate adds from rings and etc will better benefit the one who's base damage is higher, once again from the DPS perspective.

Now then. LA build will make you weaker, less resilient to magic damage, and the physical damage you take will still be pretty high at later levels. Why would a Psychic wear LA again? Remember, we don't get Stone Barrier. We're not Wizards.

I mentioned this in another thread, and I'll say it again: Archers are practically forced to wear LA. Most archers complain about how LA isn't all its cracked up to be, because you're not very resilient to damage from either side. You're just mediocre at both. So ask yourself: If a class that's built around light armor doesn't even like it, why would Psychics like it more?
  • Doujin - Sanctuary
    Doujin - Sanctuary Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ryukage wrote: »
    Point #1: LA armor is crappy and it won't save you or keep you alive much longer. You are going to always be squishy in any armor type. Why be weaker at the same time?

Also don't forget, LA armor is considered the worst endgame armor type for a good reason: Its better to have one great defense, than have two mediocre ones that barely protect you. In robes you're well protected against magic, even if physical really hurts. In LA, both sides hurt pretty bad in the endgame.

Point #2: Try to remember something. Psychic is the DPS casting class, we're not spec'd for spike damage. We don't have super 500% weapon damage spells like Wizards do. We hit for less damage per hit (except for the basic nukes), but we channel quickly on all of our direct attack skills. This means our class benefits more in the grand scheme from a consistent output, not an erratic "hope I crit" one.

Point #3: Most good crit gear is usable by either armor build. Anyone with any math skill will realize that the crit rate adds from rings and etc will better benefit the one who's base damage is higher, once again from the DPS perspective.

Now then. LA build will make you weaker, less resilient to magic damage, and the physical damage you take will still be pretty high at later levels. Why would a Psychic wear LA again? Remember, we don't get Stone Barrier. We're not Wizards.

I mentioned this in another thread, and I'll say it again: Archers are practically forced to wear LA. Most archers complain about how LA isn't all its cracked up to be, because you're not very resilient to damage from either side. You're just mediocre at both. So ask yourself: If a class that's built around light armor doesn't even like it, why would Psychics like it more?

Ow ryu, I so agree with everything you said.

1-I would never trust a %critik thing... coz i'm unlucky, coz it's unstable and you can't control aggro, coz it's ugly to have low damage...

2-With the LA you'll get pretty squishy...more squishy I think.. When you are AA, the mob won't reach you because of your higher damage, so you don't care to have high/low res (or he'll make magic damage from afar, so we don't care). While on LA, uh, the mob will reach you & you are still squishy : good for you to use life potions + ordinary mana potion.

3-Why would you want to wear a LA at first O.O there are barbs, bm, sin, veno to tank, guh, it's enough like this. A AA psy will tank more efficiently boss at bh59 than barb imo (because of the aggro thing, of course). I already tanked Pyro, kinda easy too... Psy can be pretty useful for those kind of boss (and magic mobs), if you wear LA, then you are no DD plus you won't be able tank the mobs/boss you might be naturally asked to tank.

4-Why, again, wearing a LA who gives fwew more physical resistance. Get 1 physical res belt/necklace in your inventory for the mob killing part, it'll give you like 1500 more physical res with cleric & bm buff. Add then your base physical res, I hit ~2500 physical res at lvl79 with this. Pretty enough to tank if the mob ever comes to you.

5-And why, oOo why a LA to resist better or whatever : if the mob ever reaches you (it can happen), use Psychic will... When I have the feeling i'll pull aggro, i always cast Soul of retaliation in case the mob reached me. If there is a group of mob, I cast fast Emp Vigor on me, 1 Soul of retaliation, 1 bubble of life, and let's go have fun mate! When 3 or more mobs come on you, then cast Psychic Will, and finish them easy. In the woooorst situation ever (cleric and tank are dead) then hmm.. cast white voodoo and finish calmly with DoT x) There might be a clever/survivor psy next to you to cast a bubble and help too. (It already happened to me in a bh59, everyone dead but us 2 psy finishing the mobs in White Voodoo..)(we finished on Drake without a cleric, with just us healing each other every 15seconds alternatively.. it went pretty smoothly :/).

6-And to conclude... I believe a good player isn't a player with a good gear, but one who knows how to use it and his skill..We psy are pretty lucky to have all those buffs, we are not just DD, we can support cleric and kinda tank. I really like my psy coz I always have the feeling of being useful in a squad. Of course a LA psy wont be that bad, and it's a really good thing there are some in the nature, every psy is different btw, but myself I wont enjoy my char as much as in AA. Then it's you who decide what's your favorite way of playing, there isn't just one, and I believe a LA psy can work out.

7-Final thing why no LA ... and the most important one hohoho >< You won't see big numbers on your screen ! =^o^=

8-Oh well, I think I told most of what I though about the subject xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Keep in mind that with LA you'd only get like 5% crit.

Without getting into the other arguments, it's worth mentioning that this statement is a solid understatement. By lvl 70 you should be around 6% and despite rumors otherwise, crit rings really aren't THAT expensive - especially with the roll call giving free 2% rings.

I like my LA psy, I don't honestly feel any worse for it grinding - but I did it to be different, not to be better. Were I to make it a main, I likely wouldn't have gone LA.

Then again, were I looking for a new main, I can't imagine why I would make a psy b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Islamey - Dreamweaver
    Islamey - Dreamweaver Posts: 586 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    With the LA you'll get pretty squishy...more squishy I think.. When you are AA, the mob won't reach you because of your higher damage, so you don't care to have high/low res

No doubt that pure mag are better at grinding, but in TW, everyone reaches you. It makes all the difference if you have enough pdef to survive through one stun to get away.
    Then again, I think LA is only worth it for wizzes cause of the shields.
    The chillum is sometimes referred to as a chalice, based on a quote from the Biblical book of Deuteronomy. Thanks and praises are offered to Jah before smoking the chillum.
  • ryukage
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Without getting into the other arguments, it's worth mentioning that this statement is a solid understatement. By lvl 70 you should be around 6% and despite rumors otherwise, crit rings really aren't THAT expensive - especially with the roll call giving free 2% rings.

I like my LA psy, I don't honestly feel any worse for it grinding - but I did it to be different, not to be better. Were I to make it a main, I likely wouldn't have gone LA.

Then again, were I looking for a new main, I can't imagine why I would make a psy b:chuckle
    No, its not an understatement, its 100% accurate. Why? Because the robe psychic is wearing the same rings you are. The only difference in crit rate you have is from your dex. And its not enough to compensate for DPS loss. And again, the user with the higher base magic is the one who benefits more from crit adds, because 200% of a larger number is well... a much larger number.

@The comment about Wizards, thats exactly right. The only reason Wizards can get away with LA is because of Stone Barrier.

It doesn't work that well for a Psychic. If a good BM catches you in a stun, you're GG'd regardless of your armor.
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ryukage wrote: »
    No, its not an understatement, its 100% accurate. Why? Because the robe psychic is wearing the same rings you are.

If a robe psy and a LA/Crit psy are wearing the same rings, one of the two are doing it wrong.

One goes for overall damage and the other goes for crit spikes - why would they be wearing the same rings?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • voidbinder
    voidbinder Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I love the psychic class I have a lvl 57 on one account and a 47 on another, I also have a main 78 cleric,

while healing an FB59 the other day we had a psychic in the group... he was a faction leader and was just bragging and bragging about how much less damage he takes and all this stuff and how his DPS is still great and what not, and I have to tell you.. my lvl 57 psychic was able to solo dismal shade at lvl 49... this guy was lvl 78!!! and he was not even able to solo a trash mob in the 59 dungeon.. he just didn't have the power at all, and his HP went down faster then a beer in a drinking contest..

at lvl 47 & my lvl 57 my little psychic can two and three shot mobs his own level, i went with the pure magic build mind you...

I cannot say the LA idea is a good one at all unless your just goofing around because the proof is in the pudding, my guy can solo bosses that guy couldn't even solo trash mobs...

think about it...
  • Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear
    Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Hold on, let me hit 100, then I'll make another to wear LA because I don't wanna restat... psh, like that's ever gonna happen. Arcane=yaay. If you can't have the survivability you want in AA as a caster (other than veno perhaps) re-roll.
    Main:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alts:
    Lypiphera 101 Cleric
    Incompetance 100 Blademaster
    MetalPenguin 101 Seeker

b:dirtySolara_Craft/Disarmonia_Xb:dirty
  • Daose - Harshlands
    Daose - Harshlands Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I think LA is only worth it for wizzes cause of the shields.

This. Same for clerics to a lesser extent.

I'd rather go VIT (which is what I'm doing) than LA if survivability is the goal.
  • Jibreel - Harshlands
    edited March 2010
    Options
    okay.. thank you for the comments =D i think most of you agreed and so im going AA :) Tx
  • PureIove - Harshlands
    PureIove - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    okay.. thank you for the comments =D i think most of you agreed and so im going AA :) Tx

very smart ^^b:victory
  • ryukage
    edited March 2010
    Options
    If a robe psy and a LA/Crit psy are wearing the same rings, one of the two are doing it wrong.

One goes for overall damage and the other goes for crit spikes - why would they be wearing the same rings?

In case you didn't actually look at the Attendance Rings, they also add a good amount of matk. Free matk + free crit, why would a robe psychic not use it? (Unless he could afford better)
  • FapFapFap - Raging Tide
    FapFapFap - Raging Tide Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options

I prefer crit rings too, but I'm not LA, cuz I want to keep the overall dmg high but still have 10%+ crit cuz it's nice for PvP.

So if both wear 2 lunar rings (+500 phys res, +12% chan red, +6% crit) - who is doint it wrong? And which should he wear instead?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DerBoese - Dreamweaver
    DerBoese - Dreamweaver Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    use Arcane will be good :}
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]