Wiz playing second fiddle to archer

Options
finalej
finalej Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Wizard
i was told by a friend that's played this game for for about 2 years that wiz is usually picked second to archer. is it true that wiz is not that important to parties?
Post edited by finalej on

Comments

• Doomm/ker_ - Lost City6
    Doomm/ker_ - Lost City6 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well we dont have important buffs, debuffs. But we good on aoe instances, fast lwling and just nuking every1. So u choose
  • Finaler - Raging Tide
    Finaler - Raging Tide Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    cool because i hate the look of the tideborn[i was going to switch to psych]
    also known as notes or maxer depending on the server.

resident lowbie of tao
  • BrownflameZ - Lost City
    BrownflameZ - Lost City Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    If were talking HH, yup.
    But mages have their places, Frostblade looks cool, even if it is worthless.
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Sometimes I need to assist heal on wurlurd in TT.
    I don't think an archer can do thatb:chuckle

Also in instances like FC you NEED a wizzy for DB. Archers can't keep up BoA to zhen a whole room, even if they can get it up with 2spark costs vs 1spark (and going down soon as the target is dead)

And yesterday in TT, we has 3 wizzys instead of archer.
    Undine + 3 wizzysb:dirty
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well... personally, I got turned down for rebirth alpha when I was level 71 because they had a n archer with a level 80 crossbow.

Never mind that I probably would have been pulling aggro off that archer back then (i had level 9 dragon's breath and a high magic attack), and that I had a build that could somewhat tank some of that aggro -- if aggro was that much of an issue they needed a better barbarian.

I think wizards are not important in parties because of problems other people have had that they do not understand, and because people are asking the wrong questions.

Truth is wizard is not really a survival class in this game, and things are quite bad under lvl 80 let's say unless you have some really nice gear. Cholla, you're not a benchmark b:chuckle. Usually the wizards I encounter on DW lately between lvl 60 and 80 a big majority are absolute rubbish and with no sense of what they are doing. Of course, an archer same lvl will have more survival so I understand why ppl tend to favor archers over wizards in RB/TT squads.
    finalej wrote: »
    i was told by a friend that's played this game for for about 2 years that wiz is usually picked second to archer. is it true that wiz is not that important to parties?
    nope, not really. In TT you're basically useless as a wizard, an archer will do more dmg (higher DPS and STA - 16% less HP on boss in 1 shot) - That's between lvl 60 and 95. After 95 you're totally useless in TTs because fist archers can basically stay permasparked at 4-5 hits/sec and outdamage everything in game except a GM. Combine that with a sage STA - 20% boss HP in one shot - and you get the picture.

Wizards are usually second pick in RB too, because for some reason ppl tend to take archers in there in Gamma and Delta too, although with full buffs and auras an archer will never have the defense that a wizard can have in RB. HP pool will be a little less, true, but there are tricks for that (rings, accessories, weapon switch - I'm guessing archers can't really do that to the extent a wizard can) if you're smart.

All in all wizard is a nice class to play in this game, but Archers got OP with anni packs in both PvP and PvE.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yeah, archer are more stronger in DD. But, we have a good advantage too: Elements.

In exemple, in my FC squad, I was with an archer level 89. We was at Exp room and we killed Harpy[Metal element] before the fun. I did debuff, sutra, divine, pyro, divine, gush and I take aggro, all the time before the die of the mob. The arecher and me have a weapon lvl 85, so it's not by the weapon.
    b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Wizards are usually second pick in RB too, because for some reason ppl tend to take archers in there in Gamma and Delta too, although with full buffs and auras an archer will never have the defense that a wizard can have in RB. HP pool will be a little less, true, but there are tricks for that (rings, accessories, weapon switch - I'm guessing archers can't really do that to the extent a wizard can) if you're smart.

ok in gv the dodge help too when u get the agro and a x%mob miss on u.
    (i tryed do gv with 2 wizz but dont work cause archer mobs, ppl's cant lure, force enough archer mobs in zhen and keep the aggro too)

(i prefer the all class run but true with 2archer easier than with 2 wizz)
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ok in gv the dodge help too when u get the agro and a x%mob miss on u.
    (i tryed do gv with 2 wizz but dont work cause archer mobs, ppl's cant lure, force enough archer mobs in zhen and keep the aggro too)

(i prefer the all class run but true with 2archer easier than with 2 wizz)

ive made it 2 mages before.. had no problems
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Rebirth is a lot easier with two wizards rather than a wizard and an archer. Even did it with three wizards before, was a breeze.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Rebirth is a lot easier with two wizards rather than a wizard and an archer. Even did it with three wizards before, was a breeze.

to add to that, there is a video on youtube somewhere of a one cleric 5 wizard squad making it though GV XD
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well... personally, I got turned down for rebirth alpha lol wut? when I was level 71 because they had a n archer with a level 80 crossbow.if i was them id have picked a +80 lvl archer over an 71 lvl wiz too for whom it is most likely a 1st rb

I think wizards are not important in parties because of problems other people have had that they do not understand, and because people are asking the wrong questions.

Like?

For some instances wizes are less wanted (like TT) for others more(FCC).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SurferGirl - Dreamweaver
    SurferGirl - Dreamweaver Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well we dont have important buffs, debuffs. But we good on aoe instances, fast lwling and just nuking every1. So u choose

frost blade is way better then archers buffs (at least if u have bm/barb/sin/archer in ur squad)
  • Synthetic - Harshlands
    Synthetic - Harshlands Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    well... Personally, I Got Turned Down For Rebirth Alpha When I Was Level 71 Because They Had A N Archer With A Level 80 Crossbow.

Never Mind That I Probably Would Have Been Pulling Aggro Off That Archer Back Then (i Had Level 9 Dragon's Breath And A High Magic Attack), And That I Had A Build That Could Somewhat Tank Some Of That Aggro -- If Aggro Was That Much Of An Issue They Needed A Better Barbarian.

I Think Wizards Are Not Important In Parties Because Of Problems Other People Have Had That They Do Not Understand, And Because People Are Asking The Wrong Questions.

Cholla Cholla
  • Onis - Harshlands
    Onis - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I love being a La wizard granted i pump alot of coinage into gear but its worth it to never die and to citen out my gear when i can i want to demon so i can use earth shield demon which adds 150% to p def
  • Bramir - Dreamweaver
    Bramir - Dreamweaver Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Wizards are capable of being much more effective than an archer in almost every circumstance...doing a little less damage against bosses is irrelevant unless you are on some sort of timer...which you aren't in almost all cases. Damage is quite literally the only thing archers are good for in pve...wizards can heal, seal, sleep and tank magic mobs and bosses, as well as protect the archer from those magic mobs and bosses for a few seconds when he gets agro he can't handle.

We also look cooler...
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    can't argue with the cool factor ! :)

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options

i dont got how, since i allways steal the agro from barb and bm indifferent thay used stun/aoe agro or genie agro, archer mobs allways run away after few sec for me easier too when have fire immune+ normal more hp mobs.