Can BMs tank?

schmutzig
schmutzig Posts: 2 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Blademaster
I'm new to the game. It seems that groups are always in need of a tank for dungeon runs - can a BM tank them?
Post edited by schmutzig on

Comments

• Drunken_Chu - Dreamweaver
    Drunken_Chu - Dreamweaver Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Fist bms tank fine. You'll need good refines and citrine shards to survive some of the harder bosses though. /thread
  • OHa - Heavens Tear
    OHa - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Or just roll a barb.
  • Devil_Vergil - Lost City
    Devil_Vergil - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    regardless wat 99% of the noobs think....YES a decent BM can tank pretty much anything just fine....notice i said at least a DECENT BM tho lol
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Yes a BM can tank. But If you have an archer in your squad, or even an assassin, holding the arggo (unless your using a really good refined Fist) will be a pain.

So, if you want to tank, I suggest rolling as a barb.
  • MALIGNO - Harshlands
    MALIGNO - Harshlands Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I tank all WB (world bosses), FB/Dungeon bosses and most of the TT bosses. If you don't believe me ask a Zulu warrior in harshland xD. You have to be a FIST BM to tank sodvice if you do want to tank:
    - make sure you're charmed
    - equip your genie with alpha male and tree of protection
    - Have a good cleric ready to spam heal you or purify if you ever need it.
    - Once you have a good aggro on a boss, spam marrow phy and chi up. Most bosses aoe in some from or another so wait till their aoe signal spawns (located on their feet) and use shadowless kick. Boss will aoe again before your S.kick cooldown so in this case you need to 2-3 spark. hit hit hit hit and by now your S. Kick is ready to be used again for the next aoe.

just in case a high DD steal aggro, use alpha male. sometimes cleric lags so just in case you see your hp going incredibly low, use tree of protection hoping you didnt use your genie's stamina for alpha male. I've used this pattern successfully over and over again.
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I kind of have to disagree about having to be a fist BM to tank, sure the extra speed, etc does help, but it isn't the only viable option to tank as a BM.

Sword BM's do fine at holding aggro, my tt90 blade has provoke added to it, which increases my threat level, that combined with the ultimate, roar, alpha male, and even stream strike, make tanking very plausible with swords. Even axe and spear BM's can tank, the dds in squad just have to watch there damage coming out, though in all honesty not many squads dd's seem to like waiting for an axe or spear BM to get and keep aggro, 30 seconds should be more then enough in most cases.

So yes BM's can tank, you just may struggle to hold aggro, the faster, stronger, and more hp you have the better the chance that people will accept you as a tank.
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • GohanX - Dreamweaver
    GohanX - Dreamweaver Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    BMs CAN tank and yet when a BM is doing the tanking people often leave squad because they think that only Barbarians can tank which is just ignorant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Motoko - Raging Tide
    Motoko - Raging Tide Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    BMs are far better end-game tanks in most situations, because they generate much more aggro than a Barb. If the boss can't 2 shot (1 shot with 2 clerics) a BM, the BM should be tanking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This is the way the world ends
    Not with a bang but a whimper. - T. S. Eliot
  • schmutzig
    schmutzig Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Thanks all. The barb is not as much fun for me as the BM. I'll only tank 20% of the time so I just wanted to be sure I could tank if needed - 80% of the time I'm solo and the BM is more fun than the Barb for me.

Thanks!