How to farm coins as wizard?

Options
HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver Posts: 574 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Wizard
Hi, im lvl 51 atm LA Build and i got some questions about how to raise funds with wizard by farming mobs. Because my expenditure on mana potions is quite high and i dont know how to reduce my "lvling costs" without slowing my lvling speed too much down.

Are there any skills available which would improve my dmg significantly so i need less attacks = lower mana consumption?

I mean i dont got cultivation so i dont have the 49+ skills so far but i guess due to SP probs i will only be able to get 1 of the 3 so is glacial snare worth taking it even if i have lvl 10 gush?
Should i rather wait with Force of Will and get my sandstorm maxed?
When should the barriers be maxed? - atm i focused on stone barrier my others are only around lvl 5 or so

How does Wellspring Quarf help my PvE lvling?

The skill increases my max mana points which is nice but doesnt help much because it doesnt fill up the additional points so it doesnt save any pots during the lvling - even with priests buffs the mana reg wouldnt fill mp up fast enough to have any use for me ( the only advantage would be a later ticking mana charm - but atm i dont use charms )

Weapon for my lvl required?

I atm have a lvl 39 Glaive which i crafted myself. I use it because it has -3% channeling on it and the mag dmg points difference to magic swords ... in the 40-49 lvl range doesnt look that big. Since i cant open the equipment box for free on lvl 50 i would like to know if its worth spending like 1kk for the hammer because i have heared there is another "good" weapon inside

Crafting Mats as a source of money

Should i try to resell crafting items or crafted weapons for coins - is it worth the time?

Daily quests yes or no?

Please help me and tell me how i can get at least the coins to be able to buy my mana pots and to get some surplus which i can save for further skills or equipment

greetz harm0wnie
Post edited by HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Sindygoboom - Sanctuary
    Sindygoboom - Sanctuary Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    At 51, you are pretty close to 59 which will give you a big improvement. Get your culti done, because essential sutra/ double spark will help with mana management. Wellspring Quaff will increase your pool, which will make that 10% mana return help more. As a light armor, you will have a lower pool, but as pure I know I basically kicked the pot habit as soon as I got those skills.

Improve your weapon. Unless you have a ton of other -Chan EQ, the 3% is irrelevant. A shiny new weapon will help your damage, tho i suppose you could also push it off another few levels to get the TT60 which you'll be getting anyway.

Dont bother with the hammer

Sell your mats over trying to sell crafted items. They move faster and you dont run the risk of making a crappy item that is worthless.

I still recommend daily quests, though if you are super short on coin you can stick to BH. You should be getting the bosses in fb39, which i know most people do without wine, so it should be easy enough. That said, I think the little bit of coin at your level required for crazy stone is worth it.

About skills: Level your barriers as you need them. You aren't on a PvP server so it isn't a matter of life and death to get them up there. It should still be a semi-priority, but can probably wait a bit. Again, I'm not sure what the real difference between LA and Pure is in terms of performance, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    One other thing, when grinding, if you can kill things without being hit more than once, you should probably use Glacial Embrace (the water shield). At level 10, it recovers 10 MP per second, and while that may not seem like much it does add up. Also, that recovery is affected by meditation and combat, so if you take the time to meditate for MP recovery, put up Glacial Embrace first.
  • ofheaven
    ofheaven Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Farm mobs that are a few lvls lower than you, just save your coin that way, do daily quests after your BH and Cylcle is done, like mentioned above. Im a pure build and i spend about 18k on potions per level.. which i dont think is to bad... im lvl 58 BTW
  • HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ofheaven wrote: »
    Farm mobs that are a few lvls lower than you, just save your coin that way, do daily quests after your BH and Cylcle is done, like mentioned above. Im a pure build and i spend about 18k on potions per level.. which i dont think is to bad... im lvl 58 BTW

i guess fighting mobs which are not white anymore is no good idea since drop rate goes down but maybe i should search the lowest white mob on my lvl

@Brigid - i already swap shields but most of the time i have the stone barrier on because it greatly improves my physical def my water shield is only around 5 so far so its not that good :-/

@Sindygoboom: thx 4 your advice i'll keep doing my daily so i can hit the 59 fast

btw i bought the clean 51 npc wand because the dmg was way better than my 39 glaive
    i dont know how much dmg a pure does but i can name some numbers so you can compare
    lvl 10 gush ~ 2k
    lvl 4 sandstorm ~ 3.5k (2 earth mastery)
    lvl 8 stone rain ~ 2.5k
    lvl 3 will of the phoenix ~2k

all the dmg is without crit and just an estimated average
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You are 51 - do your dailies and quests.
    Then roll a veno, you'll be up to 50 in no time. Farm and sell hay, it's a pretty nice income. Grinding with Veno even with a magmite costs nothing, it's one of the fastest classes to grind. As soon as you can fly (30s) grind at flying mobs (extra xp and drops).
    If u want to get far (endgame) with the wizards, raise a veno to finance it. You're going to thank me later.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Faith_z - Sanctuary
    Faith_z - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i guess fighting mobs which are not white anymore is no good idea since drop rate goes down but maybe i should search the lowest white mob on my lvl

@Brigid - i already swap shields but most of the time i have the stone barrier on because it greatly improves my physical def my water shield is only around 5 so far so its not that good :-/

@Sindygoboom: thx 4 your advice i'll keep doing my daily so i can hit the 59 fast

btw i bought the clean 51 npc wand because the dmg was way better than my 39 glaive
    i dont know how much dmg a pure does but i can name some numbers so you can compare
    lvl 10 gush ~ 2k
    lvl 4 sandstorm ~ 3.5k (2 earth mastery)
    lvl 8 stone rain ~ 2.5k
    lvl 3 will of the phoenix ~2k

all the dmg is without crit and just an estimated average

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=595361 may be helpfull if youre looking for wich mobe to grind on for best drops.

Also: on youre weapon, You may want to check auction house regularly for good deals on the same weapons but socketed/sharded, I know i went for the wheel of fate when i was at that lvl. Did a lot more damage then my npc weapon.
    People often sell good drops like items with socket etc for cheap there and you can really find a lot better ones in ah for a good price then buying them from npc.

Also, if you find armour you cant use with good stats you may want to try and selling them through ah for a better price then selling them at npc.
    My caracters:
    Faith_z - 7x Cleric (main)
    HaveFaith_z - 5x Veno
    Ivory_Soul -3x Psychic

Dont give me an attitude, I got one of my own!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Saitadatude FTW :P
    edited March 2010
    Options
    All of our skills improve our damage, but this also raises our mana costs. If you try to reduce your mana costs too far, you wind up taking damage which gives you other costs. You can also raise your damage through better gear.

But you can make your own apothecaries to give you back mana. I have depended very heavily, sometimes, on apothecaries to build up my mana.

Wellspring Quaff will help you in PvE when you get double spark (with your level 59 cultivation). Advanced Spark Eruption gives you 10% of your maximum mana...

If you can master your mana consumption requirements, grinding for coins becomes decently profitable. And until you have done so, you can use your mana recovery time to pick flowers and stuff for apothecaries. You can also harvest crafting materials to sell (you can trade them for bh69 wines, for example).

I understand your point but i guess using high dmg skills for grinding is still better than using normal dmg skills more often because the mana consumption / skill use is not so different most of the spells so far are around ~110 mana but the dmg dealt to the enemy is different. So i can for example use 1 sandstorm to deal 3.5k dmg or 2x pyrogram 1.7k dmg. I mean without taking the different cast time into consideration in the first case its 110 mana and with the 2nd option its 220 --> thats why i guess maxing the dmg is a good idea. Even if im light armor and im able to take 3-4 hits from mobs of my lvl i try to avoid getting hit.

I already got my apothecary skill on 3 and there is a pretty nice potion which increases mana and hp reg up to 50 so its more or less as good as the clerics buff the only problem here is that the required number of herbs to craft 5 items of this potion is quite high especially the fleece-flower-root is some kind of rare

10% of the mana refilled is still kind of lousy recovery compared to a veno who can switch health and mp bar and then heal up herself to 25% of the hp with a skill. It would only work well if the wiz is able to do it 2 or 3 times in 300s

and yep i need my cultivation to be done - i still need the gate of delirium quests and boss :-/

greetz harm0wnie
  • Belheldar - Harshlands
    Belheldar - Harshlands Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    do you need a herc to finance the wiz, or will walker do?
  • Synthetic - Harshlands
    Synthetic - Harshlands Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Here's an idea and I'm just throwing this out there....

PLAY YOUR CHAR THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYED!!!!!

Go arcane and 3 shot mobs your lvl, have plenty of mana, and never get hit......
    Be the glass cannon you are supposed to be!!! LA Wiz=DUMB who care if u get pked lower lvl's its not like being LA is goin to save you from the RPKER who is 30 lvl's higher than you anyway.

Common sense goes a long way people, you dont see BM's lvling in arcan robes
  • Blackpray - Heavens Tear
    Blackpray - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    do you need a herc to finance the wiz, or will walker do?

edited March 2010
    Options

Go arcane and 3 shot mobs your lvl, have plenty of mana, and never get hit......
    Be the glass cannon you are supposed to be!!! LA Wiz=DUMB who care if u get pked lower lvl's its not like being LA is goin to save you from the RPKER who is 30 lvl's higher than you anyway.

the reason why i did LA this time is that i had a pure wizz lvl 20 before and playing solo the wizz had a real bad performance. Dmg wasnt really higher than on the LA but chance to die was huge.I really would like to know the difference in terms of dmg in the higher lvls because i cant believe the 3 shot theory unless you have really good gear. So i dont know if i will restat later on 90 and go pure. My hit combo sandstorm --> gush -->will of phoenix --> stone rain-->gush -->blink... works. ( lately i got force of will too ) Ok i need 6 attacks thats twice as much as you say a pure would need for a mob but i can still take 3-4 hits with standard npc LA without shads. I didnt do LA because of the pvp aspect i did it because of the higher chance to get away alive when farming solo.
  • DeadRaven - Sanctuary
    DeadRaven - Sanctuary Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options

Now there’s an insightful and balanced view on builds >.>

Seriously, I would not pay any attention to that post as it is filled with nothing but empty bravado and misinformation.

He is right about one thing (though perhaps not in the way in which he intends). You should play the character the way it is suppose to be played. However, there is only one person qualified to determine how your character should be played and that is you. Nothing wrong with seeking guidance from external sources, but some people seem to forget that this is a video game….and the aim of any game is to entertain and have fun. If you are having fun, then you are playing your character as it should be b:victory

I retired my LA wizzy a year ago but loved playing her….it’s a great build. Indeed, both arcane and light armour are good, viable builds. They are simply meant for different playing styles as they have their own unique strengths and challenges. Although, having said that, one build often out-shines the other at different stages of levelling so restating to maximize the full potential of the wizard class is advisable if one can afford it b:surrender
  • Synthetic - Harshlands
    edited March 2010
    Options
    the reason why i did LA this time is that i had a pure wizz lvl 20 before and playing solo the wizz had a real bad performance. Dmg wasnt really higher than on the LA but chance to die was huge.I really would like to know the difference in terms of dmg in the higher lvls because i cant believe the 3 shot theory unless you have really good gear. So i dont know if i will restat later on 90 and go pure. My hit combo sandstorm --> gush -->will of phoenix --> stone rain-->gush -->blink... works. ( lately i got force of will too ) Ok i need 6 attacks thats twice as much as you say a pure would need for a mob but i can still take 3-4 hits with standard npc LA without shads. I didnt do LA because of the pvp aspect i did it because of the higher chance to get away alive when farming solo.
    Now there
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Now there
  • Synthetic - Harshlands
    edited March 2010
    Options
    WOW people... if u use LA on a wiz u do less dps than an archer and are still twice as squishy.... just be smart guys.
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options

LA can help in lower levels. But at high level every wizard should be pure. I just restat today my last 30 points from vitality to mage. My HP is 5120 and attack unbuffed with neon purgatory+8 9630. With 12% critical.
    What I wanted to say. Low level you can go LA but high level PURE for sure.b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]