Good class choice for couple

arcnin
arcnin Posts: 2 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Dungeons & Tactics
Hi, I'm relatively new to this game (pre-25 on all chars) and was trying to get my girlfriend interested in this game to make things interesting. I've looked around the stickies and there's nothing that addresses this point, but what is a good starter choice for a couple? We're intending to play solely together so I'm guessing we'd have to be the same race. Are there any classes that compliment each other without being "fighter/healer" combination? I'm pretty open to most of the classes in the game so I don't mind taking any role. Are there any suggestions? I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section (it's a subforum for beginners and I'm a beginner so... 8D) but if anyone could give me a few ideas and maybe point me in the right direction for builds, I'd be very appreciative.
Post edited by arcnin on

Comments

• Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Each race has a physical damage dealing class and a caster.

Untamed - barbarian (highest HP, good phys defense, low damage, high aggro holding ability, always in demand for squads, high maintenance)
    Venomancer (best solo class, low casting damage, lots of debuffs, luring ability, low maintenance)

Human - blademaster (high HP, high phys defense, moderate damage, very low aggro holding ability)
    Wizard (high casting damage)

Winged elf - archer (non-melee phys damage dealer)
    Cleric (lots of buffs, best healer, good casting damage)

Tideborn - assassin (low phys defense despite being melee, very high melee damage)
    Psychic (high casting damage)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Lemuria - Harshlands
    Lemuria - Harshlands Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    In my opinion, the best combo really is your standard healer/tank combo. Still, if playing as a cleric isn't your thing there are other options available.

Blademaster + Wizard:
    A pretty solid combination. Blademasters have decent HP and can take the blunt of the punishment while the more fragile wizard deals heavy magic damage. The only minor caveat is that wizards have a tendency to steal aggro from BMs if they overcast, so you need to play it safe.

Barbarian + Venomancer:
    The general idea of this setup is much the same as the BM/Wizard combo but instead of just magical damage, the veno can use their pets to contribute further. The downside here is that Barbs tend to devour potions like crazy and the damage dealing isn't as strong as other races.

Cleric + Anything:
    Heals keep your duo running smoothly and consistently with less downtime, buffs enhance your existing capabilities and spells which deal physical and magical damage adds to the speed of your kills. Clerics also have the advantage of flight at level 1, so they can quickly join any of the other races at low level;, even Tideborn. The downside, if it can be considered such, is that clerics are high-demand and while you'll easily get squads, your partner may be side-lined by comparison.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sacredxstar - Heavens Tear
    Sacredxstar - Heavens Tear Posts: 916 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I've got to say Archer + Venomancer hands down. Venomancers can farm TTs on their own but an extra DD would help. Especially an archer who has sharpened tooth, and deals pretty good damage. Venomancers need little to no maintenance due to the pet tank and since the venomancer is tanking, there is hardly any need for the archer to repair as well.

Barbarian + Cleric works but they can become quite costly due to HP/MP charm usage even though they are in high demand for squads.
    I call it how I see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thanks Santacruz! :D
  • aleeneh
    aleeneh Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Well, I'm the girlfriend 8D

To be honest, we were thinking of choosing characters of the same race so we'd have the same starting point. It'll be my first time playing, so I'd really like some help, especially in the beginning XD

We're now in doubt between a Cleric/Archer or a Blademaster/Wizard combo. Which would be preferable?
  • Sacredxstar - Heavens Tear
    Sacredxstar - Heavens Tear Posts: 916 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Cleric + Archer would be more desirable than Blademaster + Wizard.

Simply because you have the cleric there, which is always wanted. I would've said they are more desirable also because of zhenning, but that has long been out of date. You can also do Forgotten Frostcover better with a cleric + archer combo at level 85+.
    I call it how I see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thanks Santacruz! :D
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Since you're a couple and you want to play the same "race" together, I would suggest untamed. My boyfriend plays a barb and if I ever get into a messy situation (like a problem with the game and I suddenly have to shut off my laptop and restart it) he's able to save my hide by taking over tanking. Ticks his charm like crazy, but it's okay 'cause he doesn't mind. b:cute (So Barb/Veno)

The other combo I would suggest is Blademaster/Cleric. That gets to be a lot of fun in the higher levels. It can also be pretty scary if whichever of you is BM and goes haring off to do something reckless (like, say, lure way too many mobs and just barely survive it all). Of course, one of my best friends in the game plays a bm and we make a good BM/Veno team. But I think that's just because we're completely crazy. b:chuckle
  • Technotic - Sanctuary
    Technotic - Sanctuary Posts: 591 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Barb + Cleric = 6 out of 10. Very poor DD

Veno + Archer = 9 out of 10. Veno can tank and heal pet while archer DD. Veno = magic DD as well.
    (Veno + Wiz = 5 out of 10. Veno can tank and heal pet while Wiz DD, but if anything comes with "immune to elemental", you're relying on your pet now.)

BladeMaster + Assassin = 7 out of 10. BladeMaster can tank very well and with assassin buff, they heal themselves. But against anything with heavy damage, BM can't heal fast enough and would need charms/pots/food.

Beyond that, there is not much more that is worth it.
    Say my name 3 times, I dare you.

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
  • Camerlengo - Dreamweaver
    Camerlengo - Dreamweaver Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    personally, I would do a Cleric/Barb duo, or since you want to play the same race, Cleric/Archer.
    Full power to the Vagiroscope!
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Since you're a couple and you want to play the same "race" together, I would suggest untamed. My boyfriend plays a barb and if I ever get into a messy situation (like a problem with the game and I suddenly have to shut off my laptop and restart it) he's able to save my hide by taking over tanking. Ticks his charm like crazy, but it's okay 'cause he doesn't mind. b:cute (So Barb/Veno)

The other combo I would suggest is Blademaster/Cleric. That gets to be a lot of fun in the higher levels. It can also be pretty scary if whichever of you is BM and goes haring off to do something reckless (like, say, lure way too many mobs and just barely survive it all). Of course, one of my best friends in the game plays a bm and we make a good BM/Veno team. But I think that's just because we're completely crazy. b:chuckle

In her first paragraph, I agree with her... Throughout the whole game, the untamed race stands out how well they perform with lots of good combos / chains. They are all rounder here. My GF mainly plays veno, and I play a barb XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    In her first paragraph, I agree with her... Throughout the whole game, the untamed race stands out how well they perform with lots of good combos / chains. They are all rounder here. My GF mainly plays veno, and I play a barb XD

b:cuteb:thanks Thank you! ;) Besides, lots of people look for a barb/veno, so if you are one and married to the other or just "together" then you're an excellent candidate for getting picked.
  • gerrick222
    gerrick222 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Currently I'm doing a similar setup, with a friend, and we have two "mains" One is a cleric + barb, currently on hiatus. Interesting duo, and we are the core of an instance group right there. But killing things can be SLOW!

Right now, we are trying out a Venomancer + Wizard combo. This has been a TON of fun. We simply destroy things, so far at any rate, and her pet can tank quite well for us (most things don't live long with a veno, wiz, and pet hitting it).

The one catch I would say about classes of different races, is it is not easy to quest together in the very early levels. Until 20 you don't get the same quests, and until 12 you don't have the teleports to other race's areas. If one of you is a super fast leveler, this is not really a problem. Blow through those first levels, and go meet your partner at whatever level they are at and level with them! Or take turns doing quests in each others areas. Whatever works. Just something to be aware of.
  • Aaragontium - Sanctuary
    Aaragontium - Sanctuary Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    If you should decide that one of you is a cleric or archer, remember that a male elf can carry a female anything in flight from level 1.
  • arcnin
    arcnin Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Well, thank you everyone for your help ^___^ We've decided to go for an Archer/Cleric duo. Whilst I'm "experienced" at this game, my girlfriend is still trying to pick up the basics so we definitely wanted to be in the same starting area to see each other through the quests. ;o The Veno/Wizard duo does sound rather good and I think if we both enjoy playing together, I may suggest it as something to try out. I guess we're still accepting suggestions for any future partnerships, this time not entirely race dependent, although there's plenty of options here for us to try out first. Thanks very much for the wide scope of replies @_@ I know people praised this game's community and I can see why now.
  • Archalt - Sanctuary
    Archalt - Sanctuary Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Archer + Cleric (:
    ◄ Alt for posting. | PVE Sage Archer and happy with it.
  • Hypnos - Raging Tide
    Hypnos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,235 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Cleric+ BM
    AOE grind all the way
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • apolloandanubis
    apolloandanubis Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    cleric + cleric
    make love in the heat of battle all day b:dirty
  • Azarielle - Lost City
    Azarielle - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    you should most definately test out combos first, before getting too far in the game and decided you dislike your combo.
    Since she has little experience, starting out together is good, and my opinion would be: letting her decide what her favorite class is.
    After that you (speaking to the boyfriend) can go in and pick up any of the other characters you've started, since you mentioned you have every class below level 25. It wouldn't be too hard to play catch up, for either one, and you have a combination you both enjoy playing, even if some of the starter ones are temporary :D
    hope this helped, good luck!b:pleased

PS I would go for the Veno/Wiz combo
  • Circea - Raging Tide
    Circea - Raging Tide Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    You picked your classes already but i just wanted to mention I very much <3 my barb/psychic duo with my bf so far.

I'd attempted to play this game twice a long time ago but only recently started playing again thanks to my bf. Psychic best matches what I want in play style (long range, high damage, heal [only small though b:chuckle]) and he's already gotten his barb on sanctuary to 70 so he's used to that class plus he can tank so I don't get hit (though in the earlier levels he had a harder time keeping agro) and considering psychics don't have any natural speed boosts he makes a great taxi! b:laugh

I also wanted him to start in the same town as me but since he was sitting right next to me he could just show me what to do. Psychics are faster levelers so by the time I was lvl 20 I was able to teleport to city of the lost to help him quest as well.

Maybe psych/barb isn't the best or isn't the most common duo but it fits us best. :D
  • Beanette - Lost City
    Beanette - Lost City Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Just remember that you should choose a class that doesn't allow your girlfriend to kill you if she is angry at you. If you guys are playing Wizard/ Venomancer couple MAKE SURE YOU ARE THE VENOMANCER. You don't want her sicking a nix on you and dying in three seconds as the bleed and nix talons sink into you ^__^
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    *glances at title*

...Cleric + Barb. Hands down.

b:cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • StreamElf - Sanctuary
    StreamElf - Sanctuary Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Even though you already have the classes I would like to add that Cleric/barb is a good decision too. Since both are needed in the game (tanking and healing) you won't have problems to find squads for bhs and stuff and you can even do them alone (depends on the bh though).

For some reason all my bfs were either barbs or bms (b:chuckle) and I have to say that I like the Barb/cleric combination more, since I don't take that much hits and the barb doesn't die (hopefully xD But if he dies, there's like 99.99% change that I die too :P).

And you said you had all your characters <25 right? So you can always help your gf. You won't get (much) exp from it, but it would help her lvl pretty fast and when she gets to your lvl you can do quests togeter.
    8x Cleric (Sanctuary)
    6x Veno (Sanctuary)
    5x Assasin (Harshlands)
    3x Archer (Sanctuary)
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Cleric/Barb by far

Leveling from 1-20: 1 day
    Questing together after that: forever

Being in demand for every single aspect of the game, getting first and second picks for drops during TT runs, never worrying about finding a party to do anything: PRICELESS

Seriously, how long do you think it would take for them to fill a party if they said, "need 4 DDs for whatever"?
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • aleeneh
    aleeneh Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Just remember that you should choose a class that doesn't allow your girlfriend to kill you if she is angry at you. If you guys are playing Wizard/ Venomancer couple MAKE SURE YOU ARE THE VENOMANCER. You don't want her sicking a nix on you and dying in three seconds as the bleed and nix talons sink into you ^__^

Psh, I don't generally get angry at him and if I do I'm not irrational like that. No worries.

Also, we did talk about playing Barbs, but the class doesn't really appeal to either of us...which is why we ended up not playing those.

And meh, as mentioned above, we're not that bothered for finding squads with other people and doing god-knows-what-kind-of-runs. Just wanting to play together and have fun with the game, nothing serious. I've gotten serious with several other MMOs and I'm just enjoying having something new to explore now.

Also, just mentioning that I have no idea what the DD and TT stand for so I don't know what you're talking about :]

With our Cleric/Archer we're around the same level now anyway and are already questing together and that's going pretty well so far.
  • Azarielle - Lost City
    Azarielle - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    b:shocked scary nix haha
  • Shelle - Lost City
    Shelle - Lost City Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    well me and my BF played wizard archer, it worked very good for us. 1-20 is few hrs then you can be with each other. We are now 92 same lv and same % whole time.b:cute
    We killed anything before it even got close to us
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by Forsakenx