edited March 2010 in Venomancer
anyone know the calculation as to how many packs will = a herc
Post edited by Belheldar - Harshlands on

Comments

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Over 9000.

Really. You cant get a herc directly via coral.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • axt57
    axt57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Depends on the gold price but about 170-180 packs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Belheldar - Harshlands
    Belheldar - Harshlands Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    damn not the sale im looking for i guess
  • Esuna - Raging Tide
    Esuna - Raging Tide Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    axt57 wrote: »
    Depends on the gold price but about 170-180 packs.

How would Corals get you a pet? tokens dont trade in for Feathers/Sof.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gotta love the cash shop idiots.
  • axt57
    edited March 2010
    How would Corals get you a pet? tokens dont trade in for Feathers/Sof.

OP said how many coral packs equate to a herc. Herc is about 65m right now. 170-180 coral packs equate to that amount of coin.

Probably more now since gold prices have slumped. Guess people actually started to realise that the chance of getting something nice from a coral is lower then from anni pack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Esuna - Raging Tide
    edited March 2010
    OP said how many coral packs equate to a herc. Herc is about 65m right now. 170-180 coral packs equate to that amount of coin.

Probably more now since gold prices have slumped. Guess people actually started to realise that the chance of getting something nice from a coral is lower then from anni pack.

Kind of pointless selling Packs when you can sell Gold when it fluctuates.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Kind of pointless selling Packs when you can sell Gold when it fluctuates.
    The 50 coral packs for 45 gold deal means you can get about 11% more money selling packs than you can selling gold.
  • Esuna - Raging Tide
    edited March 2010
    The 50 coral packs for 45 gold deal means you can get about 11% more money selling packs than you can selling gold.

Depends totally on server. If you bought Gold for 250k like I did during a no-pack period and sell it for around 400k then yeah, Gold is better to invest in over time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver
    Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Depends totally on server. If you bought Gold for 250k like I did during a no-pack period and sell it for around 400k then yeah, Gold is better to invest in over time.

I think you missed the point of Solandri's post. You get 50 packs for 45 gold. That's 5 free packs. Assuming you are able to sell one pack for the same amount as you can sell one gold, those 5 extra packs=11% more money.
  • Belheldar - Harshlands
    Belheldar - Harshlands Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    ok what i meant from this post is, i dont want to buy $200 in gold (real money) and i was hoping that if i spent ~$60 on packs i could sell them for 800k(idk if thats realistic but that would get me around 50 mil which makes herc accesible) so anything about buying/selling gold with market flux isnt really what im looking for
  • BludShot - Lost City
    BludShot - Lost City Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Hot Salty Nut Sack!! Get your Hot Salty Nut Sack here!!
    b:surrender
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    ok what i meant from this post is, i dont want to buy $200 in gold (real money) and i was hoping that if i spent ~$60 on packs i could sell them for 800k(idk if thats realistic but that would get me around 50 mil which makes herc accesible) so anything about buying/selling gold with market flux isnt really what im looking for

Ok - unless you manage to snag a complete idiot then you are not going to be able to sell a coral pack for (much) more than the current price of a coral pack gotten by buying gold from the auction house and then buying a coral pack. (You might get a little more due to the convenience.)

So yes, sorry, the fluctuating price of gold pretty much IS what you are asking.

Now - if you are willing to wait until after this event has ended and coral is no longer in the cash-shop then yes, you might be able to sell it for more than gold.
    But I think by now pretty much everyone has realised that coral is in the 'here every other week' phase of its life and will pretty soon be a permanent addition.
    So I don't think it will sell THAT well, and you're taking a risk.

You COULD open the packs and take a HUGE risk - you might get an item that you can sell for 60m.

More likely you'll get tokens, worth about 14k each and lose a lot of money.
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    800k corals on HL? you see shops with 350k or more... and those tokens are like 12k
  • Esuna - Raging Tide
    edited March 2010
    I think you missed the point of Solandri's post. You get 50 packs for 45 gold. That's 5 free packs. Assuming you are able to sell one pack for the same amount as you can sell one gold, those 5 extra packs=11% more money.

That still doesn't make it a worthwhile investment. Packs are only available when Gold is high, so there's no way to make a huge profit (lol 11%). You either;

a) Use irl dollars during a high Gold time, sell them and hold on to the money, wait for Gold to drop significantly, buy it all. Wait for a high Gold time and double your input.

b) Use coins, buy Gold during an all-time low, resell when it rises.

Garantueed to make you way more than an 11% profit, if you're patient enough to wait a few weeks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • axt57
    edited March 2010
    That still doesn't make it a worthwhile investment. Packs are only available when Gold is high, so there's no way to make a huge profit (lol 11%). You either;

a) Use irl dollars during a high Gold time, sell them and hold on to the money, wait for Gold to drop significantly, buy it all. Wait for a high Gold time and double your input.

Garantueed to make you way more than an 11% profit, if you're patient enough to wait a few weeks.

Its in your best interest to sell packs as soon as possible - even if it means going slightly below market average. Also you should never sell gold directly, especially if you bought it with coins in the first place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver
    Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited March 2010

You're still missing the point. Lets say, for the sake of argument, that you bought 45 gold when it was 250k. Then the coral packs were released. You sell the gold at the now higher market price of 350k. Before any AH taxes, that's a 100k profit per gold, or, 4.5 million profit.

Now lets assume you decided to buy the pack of 50 corals with that 45 gold instead. Already you have avoided the AH tax for selling gold directly. Selling the 50 coral packs for 350k each gets you 17.5 million, a 6.25 million profit.

Even if you were to buy gold at 350k each, then buy the pack of 50 corals, and re-sell those corals at 350k, you will still profit (albeit, not much, due to the AH tax.
  • Esuna - Raging Tide
    edited March 2010
    Its in your best interest to sell packs as soon as possible - even if it means going slightly below market average. Also you should never sell gold directly, especially if you bought it with coins in the first place.
    You're still missing the point. Lets say, for the sake of argument, that you bought 45 gold when it was 250k. Then the coral packs were released. You sell the gold at the now higher market price of 350k. Before any AH taxes, that's a 100k profit per gold, or, 4.5 million profit.

Now lets assume you decided to buy the pack of 50 corals with that 45 gold instead. Already you have avoided the AH tax for selling gold directly. Selling the 50 coral packs for 350k each gets you 17.5 million, a 6.25 million profit.

Even if you were to buy gold at 350k each, then buy the pack of 50 corals, and re-sell those corals at 350k, you will still profit (albeit, not much, due to the AH tax.

Do those packs even sell? I see tons of shops with packs all over town going below current Gold price and even then they're not selling. Maybe it's server-related, but on here it's better to just sell/buy Gold at the right times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • axt57
    edited March 2010
    On the day they came out I sold 32 packs at 440k, even though the gold was at around 360k. I gambled the rest and got a savant and a tiger (risky, but it payed off).

It really depends at what price you bought gold for; on sanc the gold dropped to about 315k~ when I was buying up - you could easily sell corals at 330k right now. Even this small profit margine, combined with the 5 pack bonus is enough to gather the coin you need to start your resells, which will last for the next 2 weeks.

The coinage I put into this sale was about 40m. Currently I estimate I will at least double this figure at the end of the event - 80m, which I will then use to buy tokens at dirt cheap prices and do a further resale when the corals are gone. If I play my cards right, I'll end up with roughly 140m.

One thing about buying coral packs is that you do not get taxed twice, only once - unlike buying and selling gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Do those packs even sell? I see tons of shops with packs all over town going below current Gold price and even then they're not selling. Maybe it's server-related, but on here it's better to just sell/buy Gold at the right times.
    On HT gold has been bouncing between 375k-390k. I"ve been selling the packs for 375k and they're moving at a pretty good clip. About 50-100 a day.

Since I'm buying 50 packs for 45 gold, the 375k price works out to 416.7k per gold. Compared to the 383k average price of gold, that's an 8.8% profit margin. Not the greatest, but it beats selling gold straight via AH, and is probably the best way to convert gold back to coin at the moment. For money-making, I'm doing the same thing I've described here previous times the packs were out.

One difficulty this time around is that prices for gold, tokens, and prizes are gradually going down. In previous sales, prices were slowly going up, so the longer it took you to sell something, the more valuable it became. This time round, the dropping prices mean if you don't sell it quickly enough, you risk the price dropping so much that you take a loss.
  • Esuna - Raging Tide
    edited March 2010
    On HT gold has been bouncing between 375k-390k. I"ve been selling the packs for 375k and they're moving at a pretty good clip. About 50-100 a day.

Since I'm buying 50 packs for 45 gold, the 375k price works out to 416.7k per gold. Compared to the 383k average price of gold, that's an 8.8% profit margin. Not the greatest, but it beats selling gold straight via AH, and is probably the best way to convert gold back to coin at the moment. For money-making, I'm doing the same thing I've described here previous times the packs were out.

One difficulty this time around is that prices for gold, tokens, and prizes are gradually going down. In previous sales, prices were slowly going up, so the longer it took you to sell something, the more valuable it became. This time round, the dropping prices mean if you don't sell it quickly enough, you risk the price dropping so much that you take a loss.

Ah, must be RT then. I don't wanna gamble it here. On another note, keeping raw gold laying around is good. Someone was buying a Pet Cage (1 slot) and offered me a spurred kirin for it. 500k for the 2 Gold is what I paid earlier this month and resulted in a 35 Gold pet I'll be selling for 6m+
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]