Being asked for money!?

Buzzz - Raging Tide
Buzzz - Raging Tide Posts: 18 Arc User
edited March 2010 in General Discussion
This has happened to me twice during the weekend. I am just minding my business when someone I don't know whispers me: "Can I have xxxx coin plz?" I ask why, the answer is "I am poor" or "Its an emergency". In one case, I said "no but I can help you grind" and never heard from that person again. In the other case, I just ignored it.

Have you been asked for money by strangers? Did you give any? Or have you yourself asked strangers for money, and if yes, why?
Post edited by Buzzz - Raging Tide on

Comments

• RainbowVidel - Sanctuary
    RainbowVidel - Sanctuary Posts: 1,316 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I was never asked directly but I often see beggars in common chat. My usual response when I see it spammed is "Try making your own money like everyone else".
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I've been asked by friends, something I don't mind. They help me when I need it too. never strangers though
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Oh JOY. Beggars.

The ONE mistake that I thought PWI had managed to avoid.

Blacklist them. And.or report them to the GMs for harassment/scamming.
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Actually these was some kind of habit . . b:surrender
    I meet these kind of beggar a lot on my country mmos, they just asking for free money with no reason.
    (which what make me so happy on pwi is they were so rare)

About raging tide actually i am suspecting these server will has quiet number of beggar . . b:surrender
    (they must be interested on tideborn expansion)
    I try playing on raging tide for awhile, from my journey since lv 1 to 20 i meet 8 beggar on total. b:angry
    Some just ask for trade suddenly then use caps lock ask for money or items. b:surrender

*Ashamed that i am actually very close to these kinds of player on real life . . ._.*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Buzzz - Raging Tide
    edited March 2010
    *Ashamed that i am actually very close to these kinds of player on real life . . ._.*

There is nothing to be ashamed of, in my opinion. In real life it is something else entirely - the one who is begging may or may not be to blame for his misfortune. For some people it can be the only means to support themselves. Being close to that may well feel uncomfortable, but I'm sure it's not your fault.

In a game however, I find it somewhat fishy...

Edit: I just saw you said "on my country mmos" so feel free to ignore my sermon please :)
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    Skimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    lol i had one jerk ksing me, then offering help. when i said im ok by myself then he said he wanted me to pay him after for help. as i said i dun need help then he just asked for 30k, said its for smth important. i dropped money for him and it took him like 5 mins to realise that he got money. then he ran off without even saying thanks. after quest i went to arch and saw him shouting for bh squad...is bh that important to go beg money from noobs? (he was lvl 70ish and i was lvl 30ish then)
    and lol about that random trading, i often do random trades when i craft and see ppl of class who might need the item i make and 90% of time they denie trade XD and no, i dont ask money for it. its just a low lvl junk with good stats what i dun feel like npcing
    and hmm i asked to lend me money in guild XD and spammed some friends too XD havent bothered strangers yet tho, unless new guild members counts as stragers, they prolly saw me asking money in guild chat...but oh well, how many times u have seen rly good trade and havent had enough money? i think i got rly annoying when i needed last couple mils to get herc, i was so close to getting it, didnt wanna farm money or wait next day... *love my friends*
  • wtvdie
    wtvdie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    funny thing, ive been asked once by some random stranger, buy me a herc....

i asked him why? he said that its cause their expensive, he'll pay me back 30 mil for it after a year.

i was loling so hard.

anyways, he kept it up for a while, i went afk and let him beg his heart out.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    You know, everybody's probably been asked for money by strangers. I do hate to say it, but you are nothing special, this is nothing new, and you had better get used to it because it's going to happen more than once.

There are beggars in Archosaur, namely West, who remain there for what seems like an eternity. "Plz for moniez" sort of thing. And the instant you respond to them in any form, they will whisper you and hound you until you blacklist the suckers.

I have been asked for gold, coins, my mount, my fash, my wings, my bow, some of my gear, some more of my coins and some more gold and... wait for it...

I had one guy beg me to give him my very character.

You have to laugh at these idiots, otherwise they just get obnoxious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Buzzz - Raging Tide
    edited March 2010
    Well I've only been playing for three months, but this hasn't happened to me before. I thought I might have spotted a new trend... :)
    I had one guy beg me to give him my very character.

b:laugh
  • Celestyna - Heavens Tear
    Celestyna - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    in previous games I played they actually made quite alot of money from suckers who would agree for whatever reason. more then they would make doing honest hard work.
    just like alot of panhandlers do rl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Camerlengo - Dreamweaver
    Camerlengo - Dreamweaver Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    One of the reasons I left RS is because of all the beggars. I hate them. I've never seen any on here though, thank God. :P

I've only borrowed coin once on here (70k) from a factionmate, and I paid him back 100k as a thank you. I don't like asking for money, although I will help out people who really need it (IE: in my faction, and I trust them).
    Full power to the Vagiroscope!
  • Alaxan - Dreamweaver
    Alaxan - Dreamweaver Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I was in Arch a couple of days ago and had a russian player ask me for money. When I told him he could probably grind the 20k he was pleading me for faste than he could get it out of me I was then cursed out and harrassed for a good 5-10 minutes until I BL him. Sadly I'm strting to just BL all of the players that beg on sight. Most of them seem to be russian or romanian and I just avoid it all together now. Factionmates get all the help I can spare, but typically I won't give out anything I'm not fully prepared to lose. Otherwise, simply tell them to go make money like the rest of those that work hard on the servers and go about your day with them comfortably on blacklist.
    Inversion Leader
    lvl 100 Pur mag cleric
    Recruiting 70+ all classes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pegasi - Lost City
    Pegasi - Lost City Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I've been asked for money by a few players, all they get out of me is how to check your quest log and what NPC to go to. I NEVER give out money and I don't take paid help.
    Had someone ask me to trade my BM for his archer once. Another person wanted to trade their Polar Bear for my horse when I had it. I think I had someone ask for my Anni mount once. 0_O;

I haven't been online enough to get begged a lot though and I stay away from idiots 90% of the time. Not to mention Threatening to screenshot, report, and get them banned for harassment seems to shut some of them up like their mouth was on a spring-hinged trap door.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When Saukey decides she can swim, I know I didn't get the DC pop-up again. Wish she swam when it matters.
  • Feroxine - Lost City
    Feroxine - Lost City Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I'm not sure if it's the same on other servers, but beggars aren't much of a problem at all on Lost City. In the time I've played I've only ever directly been asked for coins on two occasions (both on the same day, strangely!).
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I'm not sure if it's the same on other servers, but beggars aren't much of a problem at all on Lost City. In the time I've played I've only ever directly been asked for coins on two occasions (both on the same day, strangely!).

I don't play on LC so I personally don't know how many beggars you do or do not have, but perhaps the silent threat of being PK'd for begging is enough to deter many of them, leaving only the persistent ones?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Seamuss - Heavens Tear
    Seamuss - Heavens Tear Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I say sure :)..then I drop one coin on the ground and BL em
    Internet connection -$50.00 a month

Free MMO -Free

Building self esteem through fantasy roleplaying-Priceless
  • Crypsis - Lost City
    Crypsis - Lost City Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    This has happened to me twice during the weekend. I am just minding my business when someone I don't know whispers me: "Can I have xxxx coin plz?" I ask why, the answer is "I am poor" or "Its an emergency". In one case, I said "no but I can help you grind" and never heard from that person again. In the other case, I just ignored it.

Have you been asked for money by strangers? Did you give any? Or have you yourself asked strangers for money, and if yes, why?

Wow why the hell would you offer to help some annoying random beggar to grind for money. You're to nice b:chuckle

Just tell them **** of, if they keep spamming you just blacklist.

Randoms in big cities will always bother you in MMOs so obviously they do it in PWI to. They will bug you to help with bosses and quests, ask to buy your gear, wings or fashion for some scam deal, ask to join their terrible 20 ppl nub faction or they will beg for coins and free itenz.

If some random whispers you "hey r u there" in Archo West you might as well blacklist them because 99% of the times they will just annoy you and beg.
  • Yafande - Harshlands
    Yafande - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    People begging for money and people asking for help are two different things. Usually most low level players have friends that already play the game and get most of their harder quests ran for them. This leaves the remainder to try to form a squad. If it's the Tideborn area, it consists of a few Assassins and a couple of Psychics which will usually die to Tuskar. If someone is looking for help with Tuskar I'll spend 5 minutes and kill the thing for them. One of two things happen, either they will be grateful or they will just harass you for everything afterwords. It's a 50/50 shot. I don't mind helping people that actually need it.

As far as needing coins, you can farm 50k easy in less than hour farming the Sea Grubs and crabs near the start point for Tideborns. Limestone sells for like 600 each and they drop arrows like candy. When I was level 10 I farmed for a day at this location and made well over 300k.

A real person is grateful for help and advice. A scammer will just harass you no matter what you do for them.
  • Aldryami - Sanctuary
    Aldryami - Sanctuary Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    One of the things I have noticed the few times I have given handouts to random desperados is that they never say 'thankyou'. People who authentically need assistance usually express their gratitude.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I have been asked for money a few times, always either in West Arch or the starter cities. I always tell them to go grind like everyone else has to.

One time I was flying near Sumor and stopped to dig a mine, and a girl nearby begged me to help with a difficult quest. I thought why not, takes me just a second to kill these thing. So I helped her, then said good luck and started to fly away. And instead of saying thank you, she asks me if I would buy her some fashion. I left the squad and flew away, ignoring her follow-up whisper for money. It is sad how greedy people are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Crypsis - Lost City
    Crypsis - Lost City Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    People begging for money and people asking for help are two different things. Usually most low level players have friends that already play the game and get most of their harder quests ran for them. This leaves the remainder to try to form a squad. If it's the Tideborn area, it consists of a few Assassins and a couple of Psychics which will usually die to Tuskar. If someone is looking for help with Tuskar I'll spend 5 minutes and kill the thing for them. One of two things happen, either they will be grateful or they will just harass you for everything afterwords. It's a 50/50 shot. I don't mind helping people that actually need it.

As far as needing coins, you can farm 50k easy in less than hour farming the Sea Grubs and crabs near the start point for Tideborns. Limestone sells for like 600 each and they drop arrows like candy. When I was level 10 I farmed for a day at this location and made well over 300k.

A real person is grateful for help and advice. A scammer will just harass you no matter what you do for them.

'
    Well there are different ways of asking for help. Someone asking politely if they can join party while you're killing a culti/quest boss is fine. Or someone asking nicely if you mind killing i dunno Adawolf for them if your already outside Orchid Temple.

Its really about how they approach you i would say. Someone just spamming "HEY HALP PLZ" to everyone in the area will bug the **** out of you if you help them. They will after the boss is dead start asking for help with 3 more bosses, and than help doing their BH and finally they will ask if you have any money lol. So i would never help or answer them in the first place cuz every time i did i ended up having to blacklist them and they showed no gratitude what so ever that i helped them either, just wanted more.

People that approach you in a polite and more mature way and ask for a couple of minutes with a boss is different tho. If i have spare time i might help them. But many even among them has no perspective or respect for others time, like when a stranger starts asking you to go kill 3 culti bosses on the other side of the map or doing all their quests in 1-1 while you're obviously busy.

People should join a faction or learn how to make their own parties and stop bothering others b:surrender.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I've been asked for just about everything that's been mentioned, money, gear, my login info, char trades, for my fly or land mounts, etc..

There was this one person in Arch... every week or two, for nearly 4 or 5 months I'd get a message:

"Hi Gorgeous"

"How are you today?"

"Tomorrow is my birthday, could you buy me a 8m/s Panther please"

I know several people that was whispered the same thing... they stopped, I guess... wonder if they ever got their mount. lol
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Yafande - Harshlands
    Yafande - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2010

There was this one person in Arch... every week or two, for nearly 4 or 5 months I'd get a message:

"Hi Gorgeous"

"How are you today?"

"Tomorrow is my birthday, could you buy me a 8m/s Panther please"

I know several people that was whispered the same thing... they stopped, I guess... wonder if they ever got their mount. lol

With that many birthdays so soon, they died of old age.
  • SuperFireFly - Harshlands
    SuperFireFly - Harshlands Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I too have been asked for gold, fly mount, mount, and even a character account swap..... I have never been asked for coin though. I have been asked many time for quest help and they typically show appreciation.

Just recently someone tried to scam me by wanting to trade my polar bear for a lobster. Not a bad deal until they wanted me to trade first, then he relogs on his other character to trade the lobster to me. I'm not stupid!!!!! He eventually gave up.
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I've been asked and begged for...

- Coins: "PLZZZZ I NID 200k FOR NICE FASHUN"
    - Mounts: "You have a fancy mount and nice gear, therefore you are rich and can give me one..."
    - Fashion: "armor is ugly, plz i need ur fash, it looks nice... plz"
    - To carry other people around: "PLZZZZZ IM A HAWT LONELY GURL" (doesn't work with me)
    - To be carried (on my veno): "lol ur hawt, plz accept, plzz PLZZZZZZ"
    - Account info. I'm not dumb enough to give you that...
    - If you pretend to be my husband who suddenly wants cash for his brand new char, nice try: he doesn't play. And wouldn't PM me. Come to think of it, he wouldn't even ask for cash! *eyeroll*

And I've hated every single moment of it.

I work for my cash (when I wanna anyways), work for yours. And just because I have nice gear doesn't mean I'm rich, it's actually the opposite after buying mats (because everyone makes mistakes no? x.x)...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • __Longshot__ - Sanctuary
    __Longshot__ - Sanctuary Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Beggar: Please can i have some money.
    Me: Sure, but I'm on the phone, brb
    then i go watch a movie for 2 hours!!!!
  • VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver
    VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Have you been asked for money by strangers?
    Yes

Did you give any?
    No

Or have you yourself asked strangers for money, and if yes, why?
    No

This alt has been brought to you by lkurei - Harshlands.
    I'm a guy. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I've been asked for coins a few times but it's not too bad.

The real pain when random people will PM you with: "PLZ HELP ME KILL QUINGZI FOR MY BH PLZZZZZZ" "PLZ KILL (Insert random boss here) FOR ME" and the random squad invites.

And the random guild invites......... are just...... terrible.

When I was factionless I got at least a dozen times a day "Random player XXXXX has invited you to join faction YYYYYYY" AT LEAST a dozen times a day, usually much more. It's so annoying. At first it's just a slight annoyance, you click no, move on without giving it a second thought. But after the 50th or so random guild invite you start to go crazy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Laurrella - Dreamweaver
    Laurrella - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I can't stand beggers. Now that being said, anybody that can spot me some coin for platinum charms????? b:laugh j/k

There are so many ways to make money in this game by grinding mats or just doing missions that to spend all your play time asking for coin is just plain lazy.

I am more than willing to help people out with quests if they ask for it but random beggars will never get my coin. That is reserved only for myself, my friends, and my guildmates. b:victory
    Laurrixa - 64 Sin
  • Saymor - Dreamweaver
    Saymor - Dreamweaver Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    One time some random 3x barb asked me for some cash...

I traded him 1 coin and a sadness card, and said "Have a nice day! b:bye"

b:chuckle

For real though, beggars are so annoying.
    I find random faction invites even more annoying though... b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]