Wizards In TW

Maestro - Raging Tide
Maestro - Raging Tide Posts: 152 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Wizard
So I recently did my first true PvP TW, as in something that lasted longer than 10 minutes lol. It lasted 2.5 Hrs, and I died a good bit, but also got a good bit of kills.
So, in hindsight, I have some questions on how I can improve myself.

(Here are my stats before I start going into the questions just for reference)
I am a lvl 95 with 1.5k Pdef with no buffs at all, 5.8k HP Barb buffed, and am currently using the TT90 Glaive +4 with one perfect shard in it. I have lvl 10 BIDS and lvl 8 BT also along with sage pyro/gush. My genie has 2.0 regen and has the skills Tree of Protection, Extreme Poisen, Frenzy, Fortify, Absolute Domain, and Holy Path.

Now my questions
1. In the TW, we were attacking, and when I got inside their base I noticed a huge bottleneck, where is a good place to place myself? I liked to stay near the tents or to the side of the main entrance, but is this truely the best place for me.

2. Also, I am one of the highest leveled wizards on the server and seem to be a main target, what is the best way to avoid getting focus fired so much?

3. How best to avoid sins? I pk a decent bit so the sins who tend to target me understand that if I have genie energy I can live, so they wait till I EP a target or something so I can't use absolute domain. What other ways can I survive? (I tried using those 20 second magic/phys def apoth and they worked decently I guess..)

4. Who should I focus my ulti on? This is kind of a two part thing, first off when I am running up the lane is it worth it to use my ultis on groups of 2-3 heavies (BIDS) people or groups of 3-4 squishies (BT)? Also when I am at the crystal should I ulti the crystal or try to pick someone around the crystal?

5. Should I always stay at max range or is it better to try to stay close to stun classes that can help me out?

6. Is it ok to use Frenzy everytime I ulti? Or should I focus on using an absolute domain or is that purely situational?

7. What classes is it ok to target? I tend to tab target a lot (Bound it to the F key so its closer to where my hand is even) and I notice currently I can kill a lot of squishies in 2-4 hits with pyro/gush spam, is that ok?

8. When I target barbs and BMs, what is the most efficient way to kill them? I have been using pyro/gush spam to get mad chi and do decent damage (Relatively 1.7-2.3k damage depending on the player/gear) or should I be using other things?

9. When do I sutra? I tend to hit the undine -> EP -> Frenzy -> BIDS buttons whenever I see a barb, should I do that but use sutra instead?

That's it for now, sorry if that's a lot of questions, but there are so few wizards in our guild/on our server that I really want to make sure I am being 100% effient over just learning bad habits.

Thanks
Post edited by Maestro - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    So I recently did my first true PvP TW, as in something that lasted longer than 10 minutes lol. It lasted 2.5 Hrs, and I died a good bit, but also got a good bit of kills.
    So, in hindsight, I have some questions on how I can improve myself.

(Here are my stats before I start going into the questions just for reference)
    I am a lvl 95 with 1.5k Pdef with no buffs at all, 5.8k HP Barb buffed, and am currently using the TT90 Glaive +4 with one perfect shard in it. I have lvl 10 BIDS and lvl 8 BT also along with sage pyro/gush. My genie has 2.0 regen and has the skills Tree of Protection, Extreme Poisen, Frenzy, Fortify, Absolute Domain, and Holy Path.

Now my questions
    1. In the TW, we were attacking, and when I got inside their base I noticed a huge bottleneck, where is a good place to place myself? I liked to stay near the tents or to the side of the main entrance, but is this truely the best place for me.

2. Also, I am one of the highest leveled wizards on the server and seem to be a main target, what is the best way to avoid getting focus fired so much?

3. How best to avoid sins? I pk a decent bit so the sins who tend to target me understand that if I have genie energy I can live, so they wait till I EP a target or something so I can't use absolute domain. What other ways can I survive? (I tried using those 20 second magic/phys def apoth and they worked decently I guess..)

4. Who should I focus my ulti on? This is kind of a two part thing, first off when I am running up the lane is it worth it to use my ultis on groups of 2-3 heavies (BIDS) people or groups of 3-4 squishies (BT)? Also when I am at the crystal should I ulti the crystal or try to pick someone around the crystal?

5. Should I always stay at max range or is it better to try to stay close to stun classes that can help me out?

6. Is it ok to use Frenzy everytime I ulti? Or should I focus on using an absolute domain or is that purely situational?

7. What classes is it ok to target? I tend to tab target a lot (Bound it to the F key so its closer to where my hand is even) and I notice currently I can kill a lot of squishies in 2-4 hits with pyro/gush spam, is that ok?

8. When I target barbs and BMs, what is the most efficient way to kill them? I have been using pyro/gush spam to get mad chi and do decent damage (Relatively 1.7-2.3k damage depending on the player/gear) or should I be using other things?

9. When do I sutra? I tend to hit the undine -> EP -> Frenzy -> BIDS buttons whenever I see a barb, should I do that but use sutra instead?

That's it for now, sorry if that's a lot of questions, but there are so few wizards in our guild/on our server that I really want to make sure I am being 100% effient over just learning bad habits.

Thanks

Absolutely correct answer on your questions doesn't exist. Every TW is different. You have to deal with it. You will be always in first target, because especially sage wizard is the nightmare in TW with sage BIDS. So every1 will want to kill you as soon as possible. My HP is almost 7K barb buffed but I'm always targeted and killed with few players at once. My shield and fairy is like red flag ahead of bull.b:laugh
    You have to just gain experience from many TW's and figure out what tactic is best for you to survive as long as possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Maestro - Raging Tide
    edited March 2010
    Even if there is no definite answer, I would like to see what other people do in response the purposed situatuations and problems. There isn't anything like TW PvP minus inside the TW and as I noted there are so few wizards I would really like to see what other people do to help positively influence my playstyle and develop into a stronger wizard overall. Opinions are fine with me, as each opinion has some logic in that person's mind so thus it is helpful. I know a lot of you wizards on older servers have logged more TW hours than I could imagine and I value that as something that could benefit me.

Yeah, being one of only a handful of wizards on the server the shield really does make me a target though now that you mention it hah.
  • Xulin - Harshlands
    Xulin - Harshlands Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Now my questions

Try to stay away from the main areas when lots of people. But not so uncrowded that it is easy to spot you.

As a focused target you have a lot of power. If your focused a lot you can use anti-stun holy path and run. If your truly a danger you'll have atleast 4-6 people after you and can relieve some stress on your offense. They will eventually leave you and you can go back to picking people off. Rinse and repeat.

Potting works, saving genie is key for our survival, but ultimately in those cases it should be your EP and team mates to keep you alive in those situations.

Since your server is relatively new, BT will be a lot more damaging then water dragon.
    Target the group squishies in the back. Usually behind the crystal. Your water dragon at lvl10 and that weapon shouldn't be able to kill much, without BM amp.

Stay as far away as possible. Again your team should also be supporting you.

Frenzy when you know its safe. Absolute domain when you see a heaven's flame casted and are heavily targeted.

On offense your main goal should be BMs, and EAs.

That is fine, if you can bypass charm using a higher tier skill try to do that as well.
    Gush+pyro = fastest DPS for us. You can use sage rockfall as well.

Ultimate combo for killing and immoblizing single targets. Undine -> sutra -> regular pyro -> Mountain seize -> glacial snare.
    If you have divine pyro, use that instead. Last one should be your highest dmg 2nd tier spell. I assumed you only have the 3 basic skills.
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    My role in TW is determined by guild officer and squad chief. He is also officer so it same. My primary target is attack barb and assist attack on barbs. Usually I'm flying around and when some of squad member target barb others will assist him in attack. That's all. Every faction has to have strategy in TW. There are faction members which role is protect me and etc. But normally it looks like chaos.b:chuckle
    As I said my primary role is targeting and attacking barbs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xulin - Harshlands
    edited March 2010
    Oh for sutra, I also use divine pyro-> pyro -> rockfall -> divine pyro -> sandstorm.

Pretty much kills anything with my weapon.
  • Fatboykbb - Heavens Tear
    Fatboykbb - Heavens Tear Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Oh for sutra, I also use divine pyro-> pyro -> rockfall -> divine pyro -> sandstorm.

Pretty much kills anything with my weapon.

ur weapon is the rank 8 nature talker.........
  • Xulin - Harshlands
    edited March 2010
    Even with my +7 lunar the result is the same
  • Fatboykbb - Heavens Tear
    Fatboykbb - Heavens Tear Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Even with my +7 lunar the result is the same

pfft show off
  • Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver
    Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    My my. Of course the wizards' job is to heal the barbs. b:victory
  • YoBroski - Raging Tide
    YoBroski - Raging Tide Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    cant really argue what a 101 wiz has to say except there are a few circumstances unique to RT

that and the fact that every tw is different as well and so you need to make good judgement according to how you see the tw developing and not just the general consensus

3. you know when I was still playing the specific tw's ive been in put me against basically every sin on the server. they should have no shame admitting that the single best thing they can do in a tw is be all over a mages nuts. shard pdef is how you deal with them b:thanks, they will find you wherever you stand but if you can live past the initial lock and your infamy m8s are actually on their toes and looking out for their best dd's they will save you. me and sepp always communicated with each other so that we could always give protection for one other when a sin popped on either of us - there is no other important information that needs to be relayed to you (besides maybe converting to a different lane) than you having clear communication with your dd party. sins are as paper to you as you are to them the only problem is they fight on their terms and so the smart ones will wait for the perfect situation which makes it seem unfair. sins are obsolete though once you have people good enough to protect you and you do the same for them. your hp is really good but try to get your pdef closer to 2k unbuffed im pretty sure you told me you preferred sharding hp over pdef but youll want to change that soon if tw is really important to you.

4. no matter what people say about who you should focus you should never doubt kills as long as they are quick, because everything is contribution when you look at it on paper the only time you would be hurting yourself by taking the 'worthless kills' is if you missed an important fow to protect somebody equally important or had to kill a cata. but since in that specific tw you were attacking and I heard they were turtling for most of it, you clearly should have tried to scheme with your other dd's and a veno to kill luci and whatever else was slowing you guys down so much. annihiliate **** with minimum deaths.

5. hang around a little until you know people have committed to other targets then you can get closer. so few people on this game (lolmmorpgs) have the micro or awareness to be able to do little things that would hurt you like cancel current channeling and their tunnel vision focus fire on whoever, be able to reassign to a priority target (that would hurt them the most, namely you the wiz) in the middle of a fight or reposition themselves out of sutra/ult range to avoid getting killed by said target. so as a wizard and on RT where lets be honest the skill level is lacking, there is something to be said for patience. you don't always need to be stationary spamming gush pyro gush pyro to be useful, unless you want to be a red flag.

8. the important heavies you probably cant get them to right before their charm is going to tick then one shot them at this point so it is best to double tap gush and pyro until they tick and then unload with sutra and your genie. determine what hits hardest since you have sage version of your standard nukes probably like sandstorm - > gush - > pyro -> stonefall. or if you have chi sutra - > sagepyro ->sagegush - > genie - > ult -> sagepyro (build that chi up again ;P)

9. in your situation and what was my situation for a bit it is pointless to just walk up to a barb and bids them. if their charm is ticked and you have assist damage bids + genie would be great burst to finish them off but by how you worded that yeah a common mistake by wiz imo is thinking they always need to 'walk up and ult'
  • Maestro - Raging Tide
    edited March 2010
    Hai Broski :D. Thanks btw ;p. Yeah the only time I really noticed a BIDS to work well is when I used it on Man and it hit him for 7.7k without HF or anything and he died from that, but yeah. Luci was one of my least worries, RainZ with that darn +10 bow was much more annoying >.>, good thing his armors only +3 lulz. Btw come back and play Raging Tide :P we got like no wizadas here xD.
  • Accel - Raging Tide
    Accel - Raging Tide Posts: 673 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Your main skills in TW are crown of flames, pitfall and hailstorm. Spam them. Also, Undine Strike is bad, Don't use it b:kiss
    You can't see me b:avoid.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    On the hills/slopes, on the walls, and just anywhere that isn't full of BMs. Don't get near cata's if your gear sucks, stay away from the crystals. Hiding behind towers might be a good idea unless the enemy archers have a tendency to zhen on them. Other than that... if you rubberband on it, get away from it.
    Stay behind your party and aim for people that run to your allies. Instead of trying to pick of people yourself, play a more defensive role and cover your party members etc. That way you won't be up in front as much. If you feel you are getting targetted, move to the other side of the road of just backwards.
    To be honest your survivability sucks so not sure. I don't have enough experience with sins to begin with. Just don't use genie skills if you need them that much to even survive. If you really have a lot of problems with them you can try staying around BMs or something, meaning they'll not target you as fast since they'd risk getting knocked out of stealth.
    Just drop the most effect ulti on the highest amount of targets you can find. Unless you're sage, then you should just drop lv11 dragon on as many players as you can.
    Depends on way too many things... where you are on the map, who are in your party, your gear, the location and amount of enemies, the amount of allies around you, the amount of classes on both sides, how much chi you have, and so on.
    Situational, frenzy is great for dropping ulti's on large groups, but don't do it if you think there's an archer going to target and stun you, because you'll die. Basically, if you're in the middle of the road don't bother, but if you have some cover go for it. Trial and error..
    You can target anything you want, honestly. Don't try to solo a 8-10k HP cleric, but if an archer or BM is killing an arcane class, assisting them usually means their target will die. Anything that isn't cleric/barb buffed is generally easy to kill anyway, so go for it. Prioritize barbs/BMs if you're defending, though.
    Depends. Are they debuffed, is there other people attacking them? I usually spam gush/pyro/phoenix too, but if I see their HP is at ~60% or so I try using sandstorm instead. If the charm doesn't tick before it goes off, oh well. If you crit in that case they often die. If the charm was ticked by someone else, either it'll take a decent chunk out of their HP or almost kill them, if crit.
    I rarely use sutra simply because it doesn't work well with that huge amount of lag in TW. My framerate even at Best Performance is horrible, so I stick to dropping ulti's.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    b:shutuphow do you live with 1.5k pdef unbuffed

I barely survive with 2.5k without getting a +10 8jun bow on me b:surrender
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Maestro - Raging Tide
    edited March 2010
    b:shutuphow do you live with 1.5k pdef unbuffed

I barely survive with 2.5k without getting a +10 8jun bow on me b:surrender

The server has no 8juns :P, the worst bow is a +10 lunar and even at that he is squishy so you can kill him in a FoW Sleep combo :P.

P.S. Hai Accel u meany sin :(