New to boutique - mount cost up to $40?

Aberrant - Dreamweaver
Aberrant - Dreamweaver Posts: 10 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Dungeons & Tactics
I am new to PWI and the boutique. Am I reading it right that mounts can cost $40 real money? If $10 = 1000 ZEN = 10 Gold, then it is a dollar per gold. Some mounts sell for 40 Gold.

Am I reading it wrong? Or are there ways to make Gold later so these mounts are intended for higher level players?

Thanks for any advice or links.
Post edited by Aberrant - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Dosinn - Dreamweaver
    Dosinn - Dreamweaver Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Nope, you've got it right. Mounts can run up to $40 or more, if you spur them. Now, due to a series of packs having been released, gold prices at the ingame gold trading centers are roughly 325k or so (depends on server) per gold. Prior to those packs, gold was around 100k or so a pack. So, prior to these packs, you could earn the gold yourself, via grinding for coin ingame. Nowadays, youll either have to plop some RL cash into the game, or buy a mount from another player.
  • Aberrant - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2010
    Wow - that's a bit more than I expected to pay for a mount. I expected something in the $10 range.
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Well the polaris only costs 5 gold, some mounts that are 10gold

Though they are slow if you don't spur them (9.0m/s max speed), and the first spur (from 9.0 to 10.0 max speed) is 10gold already
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    Shivalia - Lost City Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Wow - that's a bit more than I expected to pay for a mount. I expected something in the $10 range.

Well there's a couple that are $10 or less. The higher priced ones are somehow 'rare', even though they're in the cash shop now. b:embarrass So obviously they're not rare anymore. But that's why they cost so much. They USED TO BE rare.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wonderful drawing of Shivalia done by the ever talented Shirrii of Heavens Tear. b:heart Much love to you forever!
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Wait till they put the 70$ mount back in :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Aberrant - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2010
    Ah - so $5-10 for a slow mount, then $10 to 'spur' it. That's more like it.

TYVM all. Its making sense. Now I just have to figure out what the heck Charms are and how Genies work and I'm good to go!

b:thanks
    edited March 2010
    Actually the $5 and $7.50 ones aren't that slow - only a matter of 2mps.

MP charms are a waste of money, and don't feed exp to your genie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gerrick222
    gerrick222 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    As far as I can tell, the only good reason to feed your own XP to a genie is to freeze your level advancement at a certain point. I've used that when I am leveling with a friend, since I play a bit more, if I go herb hunting or something and do some mob slaughter, I'll dump some xp into the genie to not level past my friend.
  • Aberrant - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2010
    Thanks so much all :)
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    You won't need to worry about charms until a later level, and you'll get a few in your supply stash so you can figure out how they work. By the time you need to know about them, you will, so don't worry too much. b:victory

Also keep in mind the level requisites for the mounts if you're planning on buying one. If you spur it, it gets lower, but I believe it doesn't get any lower than 20.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • SupaRoyalty - Lost City
    SupaRoyalty - Lost City Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    just get a lobster.. cheapest and fastest there is. roughly 3-4mil
  • Lemuria - Harshlands
    Lemuria - Harshlands Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    MP charms are a waste of money, and don't feed exp to your genie.
    BB cleric disagrees with you. Can't use the stronger apothecary meds while using Regeneration Aura, and regular potions don't quite make the grade.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    BB cleric disagrees with you. Can't use the stronger apothecary meds while using Regeneration Aura, and regular potions don't quite make the grade.
    Event MP potions/food are still significantly cheaper though. I believe currently tokens of luck run about 25k each, and 3 of those will get you 50 MP yuanxiao, at 5k MP recovery each.
  • Oakivy - Dreamweaver
    Oakivy - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Save up 3-4 mil and keep checking the auction house. With a bit of patience you'll be able to get an 11m/s mount fairly cheap.
    edited March 2010

Might be hard to believe, but I've set up a BB or two in my time.

Event pots. Cheaper in the long run.

If charms were removable, sure - but I'd rather burn a couple event pots in BB and not have to worry about wasting a charm during normal grinding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lemuria - Harshlands
    Lemuria - Harshlands Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Event pots. Cheaper in the long run.
    Cheaper yes, but only useable before you actually fire BB. At best Yuanxiao gives 5k MP, thats 10 'ticks' of BB before it wears off and you need to start spamming potions. Higher level bosses have insane amounts of HP, and that food is long gone before the boss is, leaving you on potions alone. You can use some apothecary meds to restore up to 9,000 or higher, but thats still less than 20 ticks, and still not enough for many of the stronger bosses.

Charms, on the other hand, are permanently available until expended. And with over 150,000 mp to spare on even a cheap one, thats an awful lot of healing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Laurrella - Dreamweaver
    Laurrella - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    You might be better off because of the inflation of gold just buying gold/zen and then using the auction house to trade it for coin and then buying the mount you want from another player. I see people all the time selling spurred mounts of all kinds and many of the ones that aren't "hot" right now are at good prices. Buying from the cash shop for some items can be much more expensive.
    Laurrixa - 64 Sin
  • Faith_z - Sanctuary
    Faith_z - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Cheaper yes, but only useable before you actually fire BB. At best Yuanxiao gives 5k MP, thats 10 'ticks' of BB before it wears off and you need to start spamming potions. Higher level bosses have insane amounts of HP, and that food is long gone before the boss is, leaving you on potions alone. You can use some apothecary meds to restore up to 9,000 or higher, but thats still less than 20 ticks, and still not enough for many of the stronger bosses.

Charms, on the other hand, are permanently available until expended. And with over 150,000 mp to spare on even a cheap one, thats an awful lot of healing!

I only use bb in rebirths so far, and i am mp charmed for that just so in the heat of battle i dont forget to pop a pot and bb drops (can be a bit of a blondb:chuckle) i can save my charm pretty well when i use event mp food.. then npc mp pot and then mp food again, so it should be doable to keep bb up doing that as well. oh and edit, event mp food does work when you have bb up.

And yes it sucks not being able to use apoth pots while bb is up but as i said, if i wasnt doing rebirths i wouldnt bother with a mp charm at all.

to OP: As someone before me has already said, check the auction house for mounts, you can find some pretty cheap, they may not be the fastest around, but it works b:laugh
    My caracters:
    Faith_z - 7x Cleric (main)
    HaveFaith_z - 5x Veno
    Ivory_Soul -3x Psychic

Dont give me an attitude, I got one of my own!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Saitadatude FTW :P
  • Mandey - Dreamweaver
    Mandey - Dreamweaver Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited March 2010

umm you cant use apoth in BB, but you can use event mp food while in bb, it never has to break to use a event food.

and wow this is really sidetracked. Yes mounts are expensive, 40 bucks? 70bucks(tidal serpent) worth it? not really invest in a better flying mount.
    51 lvls in Calamity, **** whomever actually pressed the kick button on me, while I was at work no less, you coward.