Are you a giver or a receiver?

AeonieX - Heavens Tear
AeonieX - Heavens Tear Posts: 158 Arc User
edited March 2010 in General Discussion
I notice this a lot..people will gladly accept help from my main..but when questing on lowbie alts people doing the same quest mobs deny squading up a lot. Anyone notice this aswell? Or are you someone that denies squading? I'd like to know why people refuse squad so it's a competition of "who can hit the mob first" ?
AeonieX - Hybrid Vit Veno 6x
HarmieX - Pure Mag Psychic 6x
KyraneiX - Axe/Fist BM 4x
KyranthoX - Axe Barb 2x
KyyranthoX - Hybrid Cleric 2x
AskariX - Pure Dex Assassin 2x
KyraneiiX - Pure Dex Archer 0x
AeoniiX - Pure Mag Wizard 0x
Post edited by AeonieX - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Must - Lost City
    Must - Lost City Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I notice this a lot..people will gladly accept help from my main..but when questing on lowbie alts people doing the same quest mobs deny squading up a lot. Anyone notice this aswell? Or are you someone that denies squading? I'd like to know why people refuse squad so it's a competition of "who can hit the mob first" ?

Happens to me too, all I can say is that thosee ppl are really dumb and noobs, cause with bhs, mq quest, crazy stone and after wq we really don need the mobs full exp we just need to end the quests for a fast lvl up.....
    I always try to pt ppl on my alts but most of them refuse i really dont know why its a waste of time, pots and money if u want to solo evrything...
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Eh, most of the time I love to squad up and help people and fly across the world to squash a miniboss for them and...

And then, sometimes, I just want to mindlessly kill a few monsters.

And since 69 is just pain and 79 and 89 need too much thought (and 59 and below are normally what I'm trying to get a break FROM) that means soloing in the world above. Often as a nice low level tiger.

And so yes, when I'm doing that - if you send me an invite out of the blue I'm likely to decline it, blacklist you and fly off.
    If you ask first, I'll probably just decline politely and fly off.

So a bit of both.
  • Cryin - Heavens Tear
    Cryin - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Happens to all of us i think .. Even the ones that denie your inv. feel the same thing ... The thing is sometimes people are grinding for money and doing quests at same time, of course at the end the profit will be higher (talking about me as a sin)... But if i take my cleric to quest i ll gladly party with people, just to do it fast with less waste of pots/charm etc...

But some others are really jerks, well but for that ones i just b.list them and while im in my main i make sure i wont help them b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Only love breaks a heart." b:thanks
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    On my main I accept gladly, the mob exp is a pittance. On my lowbies, the mob exp is actually very helpful, so I never squad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Arhil - Heavens Tear
    Arhil - Heavens Tear Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    And so yes, when I'm doing that - if you send me an invite out of the blue I'm likely to decline it, blacklist you and fly off.

+1
    I have no problem squading up/helping out on my low-lvl alts... But if you just send me a random invite, you're getting declined. Period. Whatever happened to the common courtesy of ASKING first? b:chuckle
    Don't mind me, I'm just here for the free food!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fritigern - Lost City
    Fritigern - Lost City Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    If I'm grinding mobs for exp or drops (2x event)I only squad peeps for a sec to trade buffs and then unsquad.
    If I'm killing 60-70-80 of a mob for a quest, then squading someone doing the same quest is a perfect squading situation.b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    If the mob was hard and bad drops . . Accept invite. . .
    If the mob was easy to kill and has good drops . . reject squad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Buzzz - Raging Tide
    Buzzz - Raging Tide Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    As a cleric I am usually quite happy to squad when grinding/ questing, I am somewhat slow with killing mobs and I really appreciate help. Sometimes, when on a quest and nearly finished, I decline, because when I have already 18/20 kills I dont want to hang around much longer.

I don't consider the invite as impolite though. Why type the question in chat when you can ask it by pressing a button? Neither do I consider the decline as impolite, its just a "no thanks". However, I usually give a reason for the decline in chat.

After reading the other posts, I think I might change to asking before invite, it's no big deal anyway.
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Sometimes I drone out and just start killing things for no reason or am doing a quest and don't feel like taking it seriously. If I am in a squad I can't walk off and not complete the quest I have to help the other person complete it or I look like a ****. So I will ask before sending invites to people to make sure they aren't doing what I do and want to be left alone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    Skimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    i prefer to not squad till lvl 40ish cuz of mid drops, after lvl 40 i get bhs and its hard to catch up with quests, then its easier to squad up and do together. now with tb quest around lvl 60 players have 30-40 quests, then we make full squad and do those quests fast
  • Duke_Atticus - Sanctuary
    Duke_Atticus - Sanctuary Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I don't accept squad invites for a few reasons:
    - About to finish quest/leave area
    - I'm grinding for mats or drops
    - Have no idea what you want to squad about

I accept squad invites if
    - I just started my quest
    - I don't have anyone in my faction to help at the moment
    - You tell me in advance what you want and I have an idea how long it takes to help, or whether it's also part of my cause

I've had randoms who tried to invite me to squad and I thought it was for a bh run because I asked for it. And then I get a lowbie who's miles apart. I still don't know how that happened.

I'd gladly squad if it's the buff you want, or you just need 10mins of my time. But tell me first. Nothing irks me more than to be invited, and then I'm asked to help kill x,xxx,xxx amount of mobs and it has nothing to do with me.
  • hallsvaporaction
    hallsvaporaction Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I'd gladly squad if it's the buff you want, or you just need 10mins of my time. But tell me first. Nothing irks me more than to be invited, and then I'm asked to help kill x,xxx,xxx amount of mobs and it has nothing to do with me.

And if you are nice enough to start on the mobs, they hover over you, put you on follow, and have to have dinner, lunch, or answer phones, doors; or walk the dog, spade the cat; or mom, dad, sister, brother, aunt, neighbors need something; or can't miss that movie, commercial, show; cause you know, they have "real" lives. Just say no to random invites.
  • Noggin - Dreamweaver
    Noggin - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I'll accept random squad invites if its obvious why they are sent, usually because there are more toons than mobs nearby. Whoever finishes first says thanks and leaves, no douchiness involved.

I don't accept randoms if there is no reason to, if someone needs help and asks, I will always help. Help being the operative word here, not do everything include wipe the toons **** for them.

Simples.
  • Duke_Atticus - Sanctuary
    Duke_Atticus - Sanctuary Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    And if you are nice enough to start on the mobs, they hover over you, put you on follow, and have to have dinner, lunch, or answer phones, doors; or walk the dog, spade the cat; or mom, dad, sister, brother, aunt, neighbors need something; or can't miss that movie, commercial, show; cause you know, they have "real" lives. Just say no to random invites.

Lolll yeahh. The first time it happened, I ditched them. That's when I started saying no.
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    It just feel very funny people can go afk do something else, leaving someone who kind enough to help them. b:sad
    Except if it was an emergency like going to bathroom . . . b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Ophida - Dreamweaver
    Ophida - Dreamweaver Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited March 2010

I refuse squad invites from nearby people. I come from a time where manners were important and 99% of the time, these squad invites come with zero communication. At least say "hello" and explain why you want to squad with me first. If we're killing the same monster then I'm usually happy to squad up. But my attitude is that if you can't be bothered to talk to me, then I can't be bothered to help.

Of course, sometimes I'm just doing a quest at my own pace. I'll be doing the housework or something between a few kills and don't want to burden another player if that's the case.

I don't agree with the fact that because I don't randomly squad, that makes me a "taker" in your eyes. I have spent whole days randomly killing bosses for people I don't know, I have run 4 BH39 for randoms in the past few days because we haven't been able to successfully get a group together when I'm on my alt. We all have our reasons for doing things. It doesn't mean we are bad people if we don't fit into your ideals.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2010

It really depends...If I'm in a small spawn area for that particular mob I'll party. In fact most of the time I do party, unless I'm almost done or in another party. It's a good way to meet people at the same level and perhaps form friendships with them as well.

In general though, I hate accepting a party invitation and then finding a lvl90 in the squad killing all the mobs for the other person. I'll explain this and leave squad, most players understand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Suzume_chan - Heavens Tear
    Suzume_chan - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    yeah I'm noticing that too, a lot of people just ignore you too... Though I've my moments too when I prefer to solo. But most of the time a squad is just more fun, you make some new friends and talk a lot more then soloing. b:cute

But there are people too who invite you and then just go and order you around - I think that's really annoying, that's when I leave a squad...
    Because it's not like I don't mind doing all the work but I hate it when they say do this do that.. I don't know just don't like it. :P
    b:cute
  • LTraveller - Dreamweaver
    LTraveller - Dreamweaver Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I'm neither receiver nor transmi... er, giver: do not accept random squad invites while grinding. Allows me to pause or leave whenever I want for whatever reason; also allows me to grind however I want: either gather, say, 5 mobs at once or separate them, without having to explain anything to anyone. Being "dumb and noob" isn't bad at all.
    LTraveller, lv85 veno
    NamiOto, lv80 full support cleric
    RoamingAdmin, 7X fist/axe BM
    Ion_Cannon, 6X full mag wizard

(full support: healing + fire support)
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    With a low level char, I solo all the quests I did (before all the changes). Now I would probably just hyperxp my way past everything.

From about 80+ is when I started squadding to do quest mobs. Since you need 80-100 of each mob, it's just senseless to do them alone, and especially with dailies now, grind quests are worthless to complete other than the rep and getting the quest out of your quest log.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    i usually just squad up if someone is questing in the same area.. i feel bad when i take all the mobs from around them. Even if the mob is easy... it's just not fair when your trying to do something around me because ill work harder to chase you out of the spot usually. ...... With BH's being in the game now, i'm not worried about mob exp anymore... so i'll squad with anyone.
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    If you won't talk to me, and tell me why you just sent that random squad invite, then tough cookies, you're going to get your random invite denied and I am going to carry on with what I was doing.

Who is to say that when you see me killing this particular monster, I am actually killing it for a quest? You just assume that I am killing it for a quest and am not interested in grinding. You also don't seem to realise that when some people quest, they want to keep the drops for themselves, because hey, it's grinding while questing. What a great two in one.

You say that people who do not accept your random invites are "takers" and they are not "giving" to you.

Let's... look more carefully at this, shall we?

You say that people who do not accept your random invites are "takers" and they are not "giving" to you.

See what I did there? See it? If you didn't see it, let me point it out to you:
    You accuse people, who do not accept your random squad invite, of being "takers" and basically, being selfish. Where, in actuality, the person being selfish, is you.
    You assume that they are killing mob X for a quest, and you assume that they should obviously help you because you have that quest too.
    You do not consider that these people might be grinding for money.
    You don't tell them why you sent them a squad invite, yet you still expect them to accept it.

See where this is going?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Faith_z - Sanctuary
    Faith_z - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I have to agree with Airyll on this one, couldnt have said it any better.

I consider myself a giver, main is a cleric, doormat carebear one that until recently had so many people on list needing stuff i hardly did anything for myself. Told myself there are limits, and cleaned my list. But yes I do buff people when they ask me for it, ress people that are close when asked, and randomly heal people who i see are having trouble staying alive while tanking a mob or a boss.

Alt i play most for now is my veno, on my veno i grind, i dont do bh's at all, i have lots of land pets and have fun grinding to get em to my lvl again, and get a lot of xp while doing so.I dont care about leveing fast, never have. And veno is a nice change from a cleric.

I am also someone that will deny random squad invites, why? simple, I am there to grind, you are there to do a quest. You expect me to help you on said quest, and share my drops, because that will make questing twice as fast for you.. therefore, you are the taker, and in that scenario no, I will not give.

So I am according to your description of giver/taker, both a giver and a taker.
    My caracters:
    Faith_z - 7x Cleric (main)
    HaveFaith_z - 5x Veno
    Ivory_Soul -3x Psychic

Dont give me an attitude, I got one of my own!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Saitadatude FTW :P
  • Chezedude - Dreamweaver
    Chezedude - Dreamweaver Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Are you a giver or a receiver?

reminds me of something else o.O
    youtube.com/chezedude
  • Faith_z - Sanctuary
    Faith_z - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    reminds me of something else o.O

b:chuckle So.. are you a giver or receiver? :P
    My caracters:
    Faith_z - 7x Cleric (main)
    HaveFaith_z - 5x Veno
    Ivory_Soul -3x Psychic

Dont give me an attitude, I got one of my own!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Saitadatude FTW :P
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Thread's title could have been better phrased...
  • FoxyCleo - Raging Tide
    FoxyCleo - Raging Tide Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    On RT, random invites from people are common. You accept the invite, hang around while you still need stuff and leave when done, without saying a single word.
    This is true until 40, when the Bhs start, and people take a breathe. No more need to rush quests, can do them slowly but more safely, while meeting nice people to chat with.

I'm not saying I like it that way. On the other hands, groups finish quests within minutes, and with a slower class you benefit from them, so many ppl just click Accept.
  • AeonieX - Heavens Tear
    AeonieX - Heavens Tear Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    To be honest i did name it like that on purpose. Although i meant a giver of help or a receiver of help i realised instantly how it could be misinterpreted. And read through all the posts. Didn't mean to make it sound like "help me or you're a **** now gtfo". I will more than likely explain why i'd like to squad with someone before sending invite but here's an example from me playing alt earlier at Broken Bow area.. Around 8 players maybe a few more were killing Tectonic Rhinodrakes.."Hey can those killing Tectonic squad me please? I need them too". A high lvl was helping 2 of those players.."i'm at 16/25" I figured..alright at least i can get help with 9 of my 25 kills, not going to beg someone to hang around any help is help. However the high lvl of that squad, "No we're nearly done". "Sigh okay" I did ended up getting help from a 3x cleric which i appreciated although i had killed 14 myself by then..it's just with another 4 or so players killing them..it seemed senseless not to squad when they were obviously killing them for the same quest..*looks up at screen* Wall of text.

Anyway..was just trying to get the point across that i solo most of my mob killing quests which let's face it at 90% of quests in this game..but if others are killing the same mobs for the same quest i get more than a little frustrated at their selfishness of clicking reject without a reason, if you're doing housework whilst questing or only need a couple more mobs fine, but that's not the case most of the time..

/rant
    AeonieX - Hybrid Vit Veno 6x
    HarmieX - Pure Mag Psychic 6x
    KyraneiX - Axe/Fist BM 4x
    KyranthoX - Axe Barb 2x
    KyyranthoX - Hybrid Cleric 2x
    AskariX - Pure Dex Assassin 2x
    KyraneiiX - Pure Dex Archer 0x
    AeoniiX - Pure Mag Wizard 0x
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I consider myself a giver, main is a cleric, doormat carebear one that until recently had so many people on list needing stuff i hardly did anything for myself. Told myself there are limits, and cleaned my list. But yes I do buff people when they ask me for it, ress people that are close when asked, and randomly heal people who i see are having trouble staying alive while tanking a mob or a boss.

Heh yeah I was there too - too nice for our own good it seems. I slacked on help... I still help around, but now I'm able to have time for myself. I remember during the last 2x drops, after having helped faction do low TTs for a whole day, I finally found some 2-3 and 3-1 squads. Spent the next day in it, and of course, people got mad at me for farming for my own things because they needed help as well. And it's not the first time it happens.

Anyways, sometimes I'm more willing than squad up. High-rate KSing areas (Archo quests, dear gawd I hate Archo quests), stuff that takes forever, bosses, BH... Then sometimes I just feel like going at my own pace, meditate for 15 minutes if I want, go AFK for another 20, and take an hour to finish killing the 30 mobs. Why? Because I have the option to be lazy if I want to on my own.

BTW, I also completely agree; misleading title, lol. I had no choice to click after seeing it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • Kaneharo - Dreamweaver
    Kaneharo - Dreamweaver Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    This, by far is the most misleading thread name I've ever heard... Buuuut. I'm sideing with Airyll on this one.
    (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
    ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Pew Pew Pew!
    Quotes of Awesomeness:
    "that word, "solo". i don't think it means what you think it means." - LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]