AoE grinding problems

confusedsoldier
confusedsoldier Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Blademaster
Ok I'm lvl80 with 3.8HP and a gold HH pike. I'm too poor for a charm and my pole skills are all lvl1 for now. Currently, I seem to have trouble AOEing solo. I can kill 3-4 mobs at a time easy. However any more and I started receiving too much damage. currently I've been using this combo.

drakesweep->fanflames->meteorrush-->roar->drakesweep-->fanflames->meteor and repeat till mobs are dead. I try to throw in sutras when ever neccesary. I've also considered using myriad sword stance though it doesn't seem to reduce the damage taken by much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I have maxed pole mastery.
Post edited by confusedsoldier on

Comments

• BoozeLover - Dreamweaver
    BoozeLover - Dreamweaver Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    hmm, even though I AoE grind with Axes think kinda same tactic works with pole too.

first be sure that mobs you grind are melee only(what mobs you grinded on? those lvl 80 pirates in Nightscream or Seaspray Bladewolfs both are good for solo)

as for skills, its nice to have Mastery maxed next thing you might want to upgrade Glacial few lvl's and then the rest as you get coins/spirit

now tip, when you start gathering get full Chi also cleric's buffs never hurt(or other for that matter) use p.marrow and gather as many mobs you think you can handle.

start combo with Roar->Glacial->Sweep->Fan->(at this point mobs are getting out of stun so push them back with meteor)->p.marrow again->if you need run a bit heal if need and at some point Roar is out of CD do again(leave Glacial out since you prolly don't have 2 sparks)

you might use that AoE bleed too if you want but use it ASAP as you can(after Roar maybe after or b4 Glacial so you can get best effect)

Sutra is good lifesaver and after first meteor you probably have gained 1 spark(specialy if you started with full chi) to use it while mobs are running back at you. Another skill I use is 2nd Wind(can't really say how many times it saved my life)

max Roar next..mobs stunned = they can't hit you = less dmg
    every lvl you upgrade Roar increases duration AND reduce CD

anyway think you do fine with half decent gear and that nice pole of yours

hope I helped

EDIT didn't read that you consider myriad sword stance(VERY effective dmg and reduced dmg isn't bad either BUT to get it you need every other Blade skill to get that also its kinda expensive...and to make it more worse for you is that polearm mastery has no-effect on it....I would stick with Glacial more, the less time they live the less time they get to hurt you)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Motoko - Raging Tide
    Motoko - Raging Tide Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Ok I'm lvl80 with 3.8HP and a gold HH pike. I'm too poor for a charm and my pole skills are all lvl1 for now. Currently, I seem to have trouble AOEing solo. I can kill 3-4 mobs at a time easy. However any more and I started receiving too much damage. currently I've been using this combo.

drakesweep->fanflames->meteorrush-->roar->drakesweep-->fanflames->meteor and repeat till mobs are dead. I try to throw in sutras when ever neccesary. I've also considered using myriad sword stance though it doesn't seem to reduce the damage taken by much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I have maxed pole mastery.

Why are you using a pole if all of your pole skills are level 1...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This is the way the world ends
    Not with a bang but a whimper. - T. S. Eliot
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Just buy a pair of cala's and do it properly.

3.8k is kinda low for lv80, regardless of your vit. What are your refines like?
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    3.8k HP is why you are not doing well AoE grinding. AoE grinding requires HP.
    Just buy a pair of cala's and do it properly.

3.8k is kinda low for lv80, regardless of your vit. What are your refines like?

He should restat any unnecessary str and dex to vit and then restat back when he gets his 90 gear. People level to 9x just too quick to only refine any gear with just mirages past +3, IMO.

And agreed, he should get a pair of calamaties... they're just so cheap these days there's no real excuse not to have a pair.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • confusedsoldier
    edited March 2010
    I run with a .75vit 2.45str 1.8dex /lvl build. I've followed the sword and pike paths. I'm starting to do fists as well. And I know the the pike isn't the problem. Its all the small damage that the mobs do that really adds up. They all do 100 damage individually. And I don't have refines or shards in gear. But honestly, it will add up to maybe 5-600 more HP. So in the grand scheme, it doesn't help that much. I might be able to take on a few more mobs but really, I think my problem is technique. I've also considered using evasion ornaments since evasion seems to really help and the +phy def ornaments don't add much phy def mine seems to move only a few percent from 80% resist.
  • Grospoliner - Heavens Tear
    Grospoliner - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    The fact that ur a BM who thinks 5-600 hp isn't a big help is kinda disturbing to me. You said they do 100 per atk so that's 5-6 extra attacks. I'd suggest teaching your genie Tree of Protection, and Second Wind for starters. ALWAYS use alter marrow physical before each pull and after your roar to lower damage. Do NOT neglect Diamond Sutra at all. These things will all increase your survivability exponentially. As far as buying the Calamities I have to co-sign that. They're so cheap right now not having them almost seems lazy. Not only that but pike "aoe" skills are linear whereas axe aoe skills are 360 thusly attacking all mobs around you as opposed to the 2-3 that are in front of you.

With my calam's near Sirry Wine Camp I can pull anywhere between 4 and 10 mobs depending on how close they are. I use cloud sprint, alter phys, and pull them...then go roar-tangling mire (genie skill)-heavens flame (if charged)-highland cleave-fissure-roar-healing skill (whichever works best based on how much hp I've lost)-drakes sweep-fan of flames-rinse and repeat although usually everything is dead by now.
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    To anyone who suggested calamities: he doesn't have enough STR for those. I counted he has a bit under 200, and unless his equips boost his STR with a great amount, he will not be using those for a long time either.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    The fact that ur a BM who thinks 5-600 hp isn't a big help is kinda disturbing to me.

Same. 600 HP when you're at 3.8k is more than a 15% increase. That's going to benefit you tremendously.

I have 8.5k and I would literally kill for an extra 5-600hp.
    I use cloud sprint, alter phys, and pull them...then go roar-tangling mire (genie skill)-heavens flame (if charged)-highland cleave-fissure-roar-healing skill (whichever works best based on how much hp I've lost)-drakes sweep-fan of flames-rinse and repeat although usually everything is dead by now.

Close to what I do. Cloud sprint, alter phys, stun, tangling mire, dragons then highland followed by drake sweep (to make sure to get the attack off while the amp is still active) then fissure to keep them slowed and fan of flames while my other aoes are cooling down. I'd rather event pot than sutra... that spark is gonna set up your next dragons.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • confusedsoldier
    edited March 2010
    I'm not going to switch to axes. I don't have the str. And I know AOE works just as well with both pole and claws( yes I've seen it done with claws too). Linear AOEs work fine with me. My attack seems fine.
  • Grospoliner - Heavens Tear
    Grospoliner - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I hear ya on the pot but usually lvl 70 pots take too long to give me any worthy regen and rolls my charm whereas Sutra or 2nd will give me damn near full hp back and the extra regen on top of Sutra comes in handy because by the time I use it there's only 2-3 mobs left from a pull of 7+
    edited March 2010
    uhm..yeah not every1 got coins to re-stat even a little. Also I wouldn't use Sutra for reason already mentioned(cost spark ALSO it stops your combo..why can't they make instant cast self buffs during attacking) rather use 2nd Wind for omg I am going to die situation

For Axe what I use is (chi full) p.marrow->Sprint->(got enough mobs)->Roar->m.marrow->p.marrow->HF->Cleave->Sweep->Fissure->Cleave->usually can collect drops at this point

thats for solo since I don't yeat have enough Energy to fire off Mire and 2nd Wind

with cleric I use mire during cast animation of HF and.

I think I already mentioned what combo I would use with pole.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • confusedsoldier
    edited March 2010
    So far I've managed to improve with AOE grinding. I switched my combo to something like

pull->drakesweep->roar->fan flames->knockback->sutra->fanflames->roar->AOE bleed->knockback->drakesweep->fanflames->knockback

if something goes wrong I used second wind and pots and lots of knockback to get the groove back.

usually mobs die by then. I've even managed to make money to raise some of my skills and gain exp instead of losing it.

I can now AOE 5-6 mobs at time easily. It isn't 20+ mobs but its very productive still.
    edited March 2010
    still would suggest:

start combo with Roar->Glacial->(optional Piercing Winds)->Sweep->Fan->(at this point mobs are getting out of stun so push them back with meteor)->p.marrow again->if you need run a bit heal if need and at some point Roar is out of CD do again(leave Glacial out since you prolly don't have 2 sparks)

Glacial reduce p.def which is more than helpful also I would always suggest starting combo with Roar(quicker you get it launched the faster CD start and faster its ready to use again) also IF you using bleed get it ASAP on mobs...again after glacial would be best since its DoT and most cases mobs are dead b4 it ends
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]