New Pet

Options
hawkflight
hawkflight Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Venomancer
I'm a level 36 veno looking for a new luring pet to replace my old Snow Hare (Antioch). It has served me really well in the past, but its beginning to fall behind. It's fairly fast, and it used to be able to take on monsters all by itself. But now, whereas my Glacial Walker (Everest) can take on higher-leveled monsters with increased life and come out with nary a scratch, Antioch is having trouble with monsters of its own level.

So, what pet should I get? Please keep in mind, it should 1) not get obsolete, I don't want to have to replace it for many levels, if not never, 2) be strong, and able to compete with monsters its own level at level 35 and above (I need to level it somehow ;-p), 3) be fast enough or tough enough to lure, and 4) be cute.

I'm going on a world tour, so location is not a problem, and I'm quite willing to train a pet up from a lower level if need be. I also have over 100k in in-game money, so I can afford to buy a pet skill book form the Auction House.
PLEASE, for the love of all that is chocolate. If your advice involves me spending IRL money on this game, save us both the trouble and don't bother. And before you tell me to suck it up and get a job, I have plenty of money, for me it's the principle of the matter. I will be the best, and without spending a dime. Thank you for your time.
Post edited by hawkflight on

Comments

• Maddieson - Sanctuary
    Maddieson - Sanctuary Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I recomend the cuddly pup, or whatever the name is. It's a great all-around pet, and can easily take some hits.

That or the eldergoth marksman, it's ranged, so it's going to be a great lurer.

Either choice seems to be fine, but both are in the level 40 range, so you may have to wait.
    It's not my job to shut you down on a suggestion. It's a pleasure, though.
  • hawkflight
    edited March 2010
    Options
    *nods* I was thinking the cuddly pup, but it's such a rare pet I'm not sure I can get one. @_@

And the Eldergoth is so not cute. >_>
    PLEASE, for the love of all that is chocolate. If your advice involves me spending IRL money on this game, save us both the trouble and don't bother. And before you tell me to suck it up and get a job, I have plenty of money, for me it's the principle of the matter. I will be the best, and without spending a dime. Thank you for your time.
  • Reseda - Heavens Tear
    Reseda - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You could try catching it. It might take a while, but eventually you get your lucky break. Then again, mebbe not. It's easier if you're able to use Incense at rare spawns.
  • hawkflight
    edited March 2010
    Options
    What's Incense?
  • axt57
    axt57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Apoth item that decreases channel time.

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/11300

Tame pet is a notoriously long channel spell; this makes you channel it quicker so you have a better chance of getting the rare pet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hawkflight
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Thanks. Any other pet ideas? I'd rather not wait 10 levels. @_@
  • Maddieson - Sanctuary
    Maddieson - Sanctuary Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Try a wolf, yes it may not be able to stand that much, but it does have a flesh ream.
    It's not my job to shut you down on a suggestion. It's a pleasure, though.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I recomend the cuddly pup, or whatever the name is. It's a great all-around pet, and can easily take some hits.

That or the eldergoth marksman, it's ranged, so it's going to be a great lurer.
    Except for hp and movement speed, the pup's stats are almost identical to the marksman. The attack seems different until you factor in attack speed. The pup's attack is better, but that's pretty much canceled out by the marksman's higher damage Bash. The marksman has more hp, while the pup is faster. Given that the pup is rare, while the marksman can do double-duty as a range lurer, if you're trying to decide between the two I would forget about the pup and just get a marksman.

http://ecatomb.net/petstat.php
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    There are a few lures that my (81) marksman dies on more often than my much lower level (63) kowlin - so a speedy pet can be useful.
    (The main one is the screwed up pathing round the altar in 79 - the monkey sits and dithers in range of the ghouls whilst trying to find a route. the kowlin takes the same stupid path, but quickly enough to get to the boss before an attack lands)

So yeah - a fast pet, and wolves are fast, can be useful even late on. I'm frankly surprised the bunny isn't working out for you as a lure pet - though your description isn't clear, are you trying to tank with it as well?

Wolves do need some more effort to keep alive. They tend to have massively over-level skills though, they can be well worth using.

A monkey will last you a long time, it's really good at a few specific things. Alternately, you can always lure with your golem (most places) and that's a fine tank around your level.

For what its worth - at that level my primary pet was a snake-valley bloodkin (wolf). The golem came second.
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    guardian wolf is a good alternative but is in 4x area
  • Oiishi - Sanctuary
    Oiishi - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    If you want a fast pet for luring, guardian wolf is a good poor man's choice (kowlin and pup being the other alternative)

I prefer marksman for the range luring though. It offers increase luring range (remember to turn off skills) and more time for me to summon my tanker (herc) to take on the incoming mob.

Granted the marksman is stupid looking but the animation is so funny.b:chuckle

No problems with 79, one thing about marksman is it can range attack linus or brigand from off the alter. And try unsummon marksman when you see the attack animation, not wait for the attack animation to go through first. The attack still goes through and marksman will not take any damage at all.

If you want to you can always let it learn tough for it to survive most luring encounters.

My 2 cents. b:laugh
  • hawkflight
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Except for hp and movement speed, the pup's stats are almost identical to the marksman. The attack seems different until you factor in attack speed. The pup's attack is better, but that's pretty much canceled out by the marksman's higher damage Bash. The marksman has more hp, while the pup is faster. Given that the pup is rare, while the marksman can do double-duty as a range lurer, if you're trying to decide between the two I would forget about the pup and just get a marksman.

http://ecatomb.net/petstat.php

Oh, it's not a question between those two. The puppy is the clear winner, being faster and cuter. The question is weather or not I can manage to get a puppy. @_@
    There are a few lures that my (81) marksman dies on more often than my much lower level (63) kowlin - so a speedy pet can be useful.
    (The main one is the screwed up pathing round the altar in 79 - the monkey sits and dithers in range of the ghouls whilst trying to find a route. the kowlin takes the same stupid path, but quickly enough to get to the boss before an attack lands)

So yeah - a fast pet, and wolves are fast, can be useful even late on. I'm frankly surprised the bunny isn't working out for you as a lure pet - though your description isn't clear, are you trying to tank with it as well?

Wolves do need some more effort to keep alive. They tend to have massively over-level skills though, they can be well worth using.

A monkey will last you a long time, it's really good at a few specific things. Alternately, you can always lure with your golem (most places) and that's a fine tank around your level.

For what its worth - at that level my primary pet was a snake-valley bloodkin (wolf). The golem came second.

1) What is a kowlin? It is good, and survivable?

2) Well, there's the thing. My bunny (Antioch) is meant for luring, and mag tanking. But I need to be able to use it in battle so it levels up, and I kiiiiiiinda like to pit my pets in battle against wild monsters in "Pokemon battles". ^_^U

3) Well, the golem is just too slow to lure. And I'll be using it to tank, so, I really don't want it's HP already depleted by luring. Also, monkeys are ugly. >_>

Thanks for the tips, everyone, I'll probably end up getting a Guardian Wolf in ten levels, I just gotta figure out what will take its place until then.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Even snowhare shouldn't have trouble handling a mob it's own level so i think the Walker may have somewhat skewed your perception as to what an average pet can accomplish.
    From this standard the Cuddly Pup will seem too fragile while the Guardian Wolf will not deal nearly enough damage.

But you're right, the Eldergoth is an ugly beast...

You could go with the Guardian Wolf for luring, it's got good looks and has both speed and ressilience. A better choice would be the Dark Wanderer if you like it's looks. It's tough, certainly much faster than the Walker, and now appears to even outdamage Scorps, which would make it a great choice.

Edit; just saw your last post.

1. Kowlin is a lvl 60 rare (not cute) and the fastest pet available in game. It's pretty good but fragile.

2. The Walker can probably handle all the mag tanking you'll ever need because of it's HP. I'll just pretend i didn't read anything about Pokemon battles...

3. Try the wanderer. It's pretty good although more in the line of threatening than cute... If you're set on a cute pet it's either the Pup or the Tabby. Tabby is pretty tough and can be used as a mag tank. Pup's got better skills and damage. You can also wait until 61 and get a petalii for luring, it's a cool pet if you like to go Foxform and have a human looking pet follow you around.
  • hawkflight
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well, I was kinda pitting it against monsters like 5 levels above it......

What's a Dark Wanderer?

Okay, scrap the Kowlin. And what's wrong with Pokemon battles? It's fun seeing what your pet can manage. =p
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    Options
    A dark wanderer is a horsed man, looks like the ringwraiths from the Lord of the Rings. And if i have to explain what's wrong with Pokemon battles chances are you won't get it...
  • hawkflight
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Where can I get a Dark Wanderer?
  • Havilah - Sanctuary
    Havilah - Sanctuary Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Lv 10 Dark ranger in the Tideborn starting island(north one), look in the north-east snowy area. Before you ask, most of the new pets from the expansion change name once tamed, heck the hellduke change form even. Speaking of the hellduke(which turn into the seamonster guardian), good DD and great magic resistance, squishy as hell vs boss physical aoe, just like assassin and any other caster class.b:chuckle
  • hawkflight
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Okay, I really should have asked this here in the first place, but ... is it wirth it to level up Dark Wanderer by 30 levels, or should I just wait until level 45 and get the Guardian Wolf?
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The Dark Wanderer would be worth it because of damage...
  • hawkflight
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Would it be possible to get some stats to compare at level 45?