Making PWI more accessable to the disabled?

Options
FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Suggestion Box
im sure im not the only player here who is disabled, and who has problems with various aspects of the game, and who wishes that something could be done to make things easier....so we dont get killed so often, at least! ^_^ i was just looking around on the AbleGamer site, and saw something about a patch that will make another big game ,*cough*WoW*cough, more accessable to the colourblind. http://www.ablegamers.com/game-news/blizzard-speaks-to-ablegamers-on-the-new-accessibility-options-in-wow.html

is there any possibilty of something like this being made available here? im not majorly colourblind...just enough that i have a lot of trouble with seeing mobs of browns in instances, and getting nailed by them, trying to match dyes and clothes (mega expensive mistakes here! i wish SO much that all dyes and clothes had the colours named!), etc. some of it i can solve, like problems in instances, by changing the gamma, but i still cant see the damn lil dustwraiths, with how they are totally invisible against the browns of the dungeon. i dont know how that could be tweaked or changed with a program-im no PC expert- but it would be so fantastic if something could be done, like a patch that could be downloaded, to help with that.

could/would the devs consider this? please? it would especially help my cleric in taking care of her squad mates, if i could see things better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
"Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
Playing here since '08b:heart
Post edited by FoxRunning - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear
    Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Hello FoxRunning, nice to see your still around. Your request seems like a very valid one, and would hope maybe they would do something like this for the disabled. It would seem to be a simple enuf thing for them to do.

I do have an idea, not sure if it's something you would be able to do or not. But I have a freind who has been experimenting with the NVidia 3D monitor and glasses in various online games. And he told me the other day, PWI looks amazing in 3D. I wonder if something like this might help you in any way?

Just an idea to think about. Good luck on your request here. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will never do anything in this world without courage.
    It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
    ~Aristotle
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i bet that it would look fantastic in 3D! and i wish i could try that out...but another of my visual problem is sterieoblindness- i can only see in 2D. so i can never see movies like Avatar, or others that need those funny glasses. since the game is a picture anyway, which is how i am told how i see, i wouldnt know how it looks to everyone else. for that matter, it wasnt until i was in my late teens that i see different than others!b:chuckle

Hello FoxRunning, nice to see your still around. Your request seems like a very valid one, and would hope maybe they would do something like this for the disabled. It would seem to be a simple enuf thing for them to do.

I do have an idea, not sure if it's something you would be able to do or not. But I have a freind who has been experimenting with the NVidia 3D monitor and glasses in various online games. And he told me the other day, PWI looks amazing in 3D. I wonder if something like this might help you in any way?

Just an idea to think about. Good luck on your request here. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-FrankieRaye"
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'll give you a bump Running,

1. Because I like you

2. Because I think your request here is a good one.

Good luck friend! b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Aristotle
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    It would be a positive addition, and would require little programming.
    But then again, so would fixing Magic Shell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • Lady_Tsubasa - Raging Tide
    Lady_Tsubasa - Raging Tide Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm also giving you a bump because it seems like a really good request and one that doesn't seem too off the wall.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Densetsu- BM - 1x, Lady_Juliet - Wiz - 1x, Shivahime - Sin - 0x
  • BarbHammer - Heavens Tear
    BarbHammer - Heavens Tear Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I to give you a bump
    It would be a positive addition, and would require little programming.
    But then again, so would fixing Magic Shell.

How does this fit in this topic?
    I do as the Romans do, I wash my hands of thee.
  • Euphy - Dreamweaver
    Euphy - Dreamweaver Posts: 495 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm actually a bit color blind as well, and I've had a lot of problems matching dye colors. Luckily I have a good friend who's been kind enough to tell me that the green dress I was really excited about was more of a manure brown... Pigment names would be awesome!
    I think I know the dust wraiths you're referring to... their in the Fb39: Delirium right? I really hate them because they're so hard to make out; I didn't know it had to do with my eyesight though. With the new Tab-target life's been a lot easier though =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    Options
    How does this fit in this topic?

Just pointing out PW's attention to detail and polish. It would be nice, but I don't see this happening anytime soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • Anjiru - Sanctuary
    Anjiru - Sanctuary Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    im sure im not the only player here who is disabled, and who has problems with various aspects of the game, and who wishes that something could be done to make things easier....so we dont get killed so often, at least! ^_^ i was just looking around on the AbleGamer site, and saw something about a patch that will make another big game ,*cough*WoW*cough, more accessable to the colourblind. http://www.ablegamers.com/game-news/blizzard-speaks-to-ablegamers-on-the-new-accessibility-options-in-wow.html

is there any possibilty of something like this being made available here? im not majorly colourblind...just enough that i have a lot of trouble with seeing mobs of browns in instances, and getting nailed by them, trying to match dyes and clothes (mega expensive mistakes here! i wish SO much that all dyes and clothes had the colours named!), etc. some of it i can solve, like problems in instances, by changing the gamma, but i still cant see the damn lil dustwraiths, with how they are totally invisible against the browns of the dungeon. i dont know how that could be tweaked or changed with a program-im no PC expert- but it would be so fantastic if something could be done, like a patch that could be downloaded, to help with that.

could/would the devs consider this? please? it would especially help my cleric in taking care of her squad mates, if i could see things better.

I'm not colourblind as far as I know, but I do have trouble seeing some mobs some times (i.e. certain little ones in fb51 and even fb39). If I didn't know where they are, I'd walk right into them (which sometimes actually almost happenswmgjhz%20(10).gif).
    Anyway, it's a nice request. But this is PWE and you and I know that if it doesn't bring them any money, it'll be highly unlikely they implement it.wmgjhz%20(5).gif

Still, good luck with this request.wmgjhz%20(12).gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]b:laugh
    ---
    "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics."
  • Tapion_ - Dreamweaver
    Tapion_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    In my opinion the hands of the devs are tied. They can't turn this request down without looking like a bunch of jackasses. Turning down the disabled is really bad publicity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Turning down and ignoring are two different things. As much as I think this would be an awesome thing for PWI to do. I suspect it will just be ignored. I hope they prove me wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Aristotle
  • Tapion_ - Dreamweaver
    Tapion_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yeah ignoring would be different than turning down, but it will still make them look bad wouldn't it? :P

Wait a sec... doesn't this belong in Suggestion forums? I just noticed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Don't jinx it >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Could you try adjusting your monitor's settings to help the issue? Maybe some tweaking around won't solve the issue but it might improve your gaming. I don't see much hope for the problem being fixed since it very likely will not be made a priority by the devs in China but do support you request and wish you good luck.
  • Tap - Lost City
    Tap - Lost City Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm all for supporting the disabled in being able to play as the rest of us do but I just have to ask how exactly would a patch make you see colors better?

For example, if brown looks red to you, would they make all the red things in-game on your screen brown? Is it different for every colorblind person? Or is there a majority way that the colors look?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm just interested.
  • CottenTail - Lost City
    CottenTail - Lost City Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Follow this this link and take color blind test it will let you know.
    http://www.opticien-lentilles.com/daltonien_beta/new_test_daltonien.php
  • Tap - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That's not what I was asking, but thanks.
  • Anjiru - Sanctuary
    Anjiru - Sanctuary Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Follow this this link and take color blind test it will let you know.
    http://www.opticien-lentilles.com/daltonien_beta/new_test_daltonien.php

Nice link. I got everything right, except for one.wmgjhz%20(20).gif

SPOILERS:
    It was at 28, I saw the purple box for a blue one. It might be because I rushed through it, but it really looks purpleblueish. (at least to mewmgjhz%20(23).gif)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]b:laugh
    ---
    "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics."
  • Phenoix - Heavens Tear
    Phenoix - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    hi FoxRunning .. i was reading ur post and i to have a image problem , but mine due to being blind in my right eye .. i can understand the bind it makes ,but i would like to say that i se in only 2d and at the movies for 3d i have found a funny trick that ppl never notice..i wear the glasses on 1 eye only and if i hate the color i just switch them or combine them makes the 3d fun for us 2d ppl.. that being said i have noticed alot of my friends have eye problem simular to mine (only seeing in 2d) and most enjoy games as much as us.. i do aprove of what ur saying and i hope pwi take it serious cause there is alot of ppl in this shape more than most relieze..
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i was born with strabisums pretty bad in one eye, and, back in the early 1960s, the surgery for it was very experimental and hit and miss. so my parents never had it done. so i grew up thinking that everyone switched from one eye to the other, kind of turning off one, to use the other.so this effectively gives me a blind spot on one side or the other, but, oddly, has never affected my driving, because i have always been hypercarful in how i drive. policemen i know have told me i am the safest driver they know, despite my situation.

as for the game, its mainly in gate of delirium and frostcover grounds that i have the most trouble- especially frostcover. i got killed there twice last night by mobs i simply couldn't see...those damn lil dustwraites just blend in so much that even when they are moving, they cast no shadow (which is one way i see thing IRL), and suddenly, im dead. doesn't help, of course, that i was running my cleric at the time-ubersquishy. and in Delirium, its the same prob but almost worse, in a different way, because of the moving shadows from the torches. very dramatic and cool, but a place i have to be so careful in im a nervous wreck, after runs in both places.

i dont want PWI to nerf the game just for those of us who have problems. but if WoW can do a patch to help out, maybe PWI devs can look into that, and work up something that can be turned on when in those places....maybe something we can do to change the colour scheme to something we can see, perhaps? if it was a patch that each person had the ability to download themselves, and turn on and off at need....i dont have problems 99.9% of the time im playing, just in certain dungeons. but its amazing what a little bit of help can do to help folks.

(oh, and FYI, i had actually posted this thread in the Tech issues forum, not in General. someone bumped it into this forum, not me. guess they thought people might be interested in it.)

hi FoxRunning .. i was reading ur post and i to have a image problem , but mine due to being blind in my right eye .. i can understand the bind it makes ,but i would like to say that i se in only 2d and at the movies for 3d i have found a funny trick that ppl never notice..i wear the glasses on 1 eye only and if i hate the color i just switch them or combine them makes the 3d fun for us 2d ppl.. that being said i have noticed alot of my friends have eye problem simular to mine (only seeing in 2d) and most enjoy games as much as us.. i do aprove of what ur saying and i hope pwi take it serious cause there is alot of ppl in this shape more than most relieze..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-FrankieRaye"
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm all for supporting the disabled in being able to play as the rest of us do but I just have to ask how exactly would a patch make you see colors better?

For example, if brown looks red to you, would they make all the red things in-game on your screen brown? Is it different for every colorblind person? Or is there a majority way that the colors look?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm just interested.

Maybe just making a contrast change to make the mob stand out more in front of its surroundings might be all it would take. I dunno. You wouldn't think a change like that would be too tough to do. As far as the fashion color dyes go. Just putting the name of the color on the dye would be simple enuf. That should be super simple to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Aristotle
    edited March 2010
    Options
    without knowing how the WOW patch works, i really cant say...tried the game onece and hated the character personalisation, and, on top of being PVP, that was enough to make me shake the dust off my feet and leave. ^_^. but yes, a change in contrast, names put on the dyes (and selling them in the CS by colour, rather than random), would be such a help! you would think that having the mob's name bobbing above his head in a dungeon would help, but as the name changes colour as your level does, it isnt always a help.im desperate enough that im seriously planning, when we can afford it, to try to buy some special glasses, to see if they will help. they are from Gold Violin, and meant for tv watching, but im hoping they will help for seeing the monitor in better detail:http://www.goldviolin.com/Max_TV_Magnifying_Glasses_p/91597.htm

Max TV Magnifying Glasses
    Double the size of your TV when wearing these binocular glasses. Each lens
    can be individually focused to create a custom view just for you. Lightweight, comfortable eyewear that is scratch-resistant. Great for outdoor events, bird-watching and
    more. Made in Germany. Glasses come in a zippered case with 2 rubber ear hooks.

Price: $149.00

Product Code: 91597

Maybe just making a contrast change to make the mob stand out more in front of its surroundings might be all it would take. I dunno. You wouldn't think a change like that would be too tough to do. As far as the fashion color dyes go. Just putting the name of the color on the dye would be simple enuf. That should be super simple to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-FrankieRaye"
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    As far as the fashion color dyes go. Just putting the name of the color on the dye would be simple enuf. That should be super simple to do.

Wait, so the fact the dyes have names isn't good enough for you? You know, like, Violet Pigment or Orange Pigment or Black Pigment? You want them to put even more names on already named pigments?
    Fail suggestion fails. Badly.

And if you meant that you wanted them to start listing Red pigments match great with orange ones! on your dyes, then you're just suggesting the ridiculous.

FoxRunning, when it comes to matching dyes together, nothing is going to be done. Nothing can be done. Pigments are already named, mixing and matching good colours is left up to us because PWE can't really implement a "this shade matches with this one" system. There would be no point.

On the more general note, I would support this idea. Admittedly, there are some mobs that I generally miss in some instances - the worst so far being the little gnome mobs in 39. They can blend in particularly well if I'm not paying close attention or I'm tired. However!

The reason I think this wouldn't be implemented, is because your mini-map has a function to show you the position of mobs. If you turn this option on [it's the one that looks like a shield with dots in it. Or something like that] then all the mobs appear on your radar as a white dot. So while your request is understandable and I would support it, there is a function already in place that lets you see where mobs are on your radar, even if you can't see them in the actual screen.

Also, with the addition of the "tab target" function, you can combine this with the mini-map function and target the mob you want to target.

Good idea, but since functions are already in place for you to still see and target these hard to spot mobs, PWE are going to do nothing about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    Options

the colours of clothes *are not* named. go look in the AH, since you have not noticed this. try to imagine, if you are able, buying what looks like a beautiful outfit, then, go buy dyes to colour gloves or whatnot to match. dyes are named, but not illustrated. clothes colours are illustrated, but not named. and when you go to buy dyes for your new dress, you are not likely to match them, in our situation. it took me three tries to dye my sleeves the right colour, even with the help of the page here that does name the dyes....some dont come out the way they are supposed to, for some reason. i dont know...maybe you have to overdye something then dye it again to get it to wind up the one you want? doesnt seem right...but its just a guess.

Wait, so the fact the dyes have names isn't good enough for you? You know, like, Violet Pigment or Orange Pigment or Black Pigment? You want them to put even more names on already named pigments?
    Fail suggestion fails. Badly.

And if you meant that you wanted them to start listing Red pigments match great with orange ones! on your dyes, then you're just suggesting the ridiculous.

FoxRunning, when it comes to matching dyes together, nothing is going to be done. Nothing can be done. Pigments are already named, mixing and matching good colours is left up to us because PWE can't really implement a "this shade matches with this one" system. There would be no point.

On the more general note, I would support this idea. Admittedly, there are some mobs that I generally miss in some instances - the worst so far being the little gnome mobs in 39. They can blend in particularly well if I'm not paying close attention or I'm tired. However!

The reason I think this wouldn't be implemented, is because your mini-map has a function to show you the position of mobs. If you turn this option on [it's the one that looks like a shield with dots in it. Or something like that] then all the mobs appear on your radar as a white dot. So while your request is understandable and I would support it, there is a function already in place that lets you see where mobs are on your radar, even if you can't see them in the actual screen.

Also, with the addition of the "tab target" function, you can combine this with the mini-map function and target the mob you want to target.

Good idea, but since functions are already in place for you to still see and target these hard to spot mobs, PWE are going to do nothing about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-FrankieRaye"
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options

the colours of clothes *are not* named. go look in the AH, since you have not noticed this. try to imagine, if you are able, buying what looks like a beautiful outfit, then, go buy dyes to colour gloves or whatnot to match. dyes are named, but not illustrated. clothes colours are illustrated, but not named. and when you go to buy dyes for your new dress, you are not likely to match them, in our situation. it took me three tries to dye my sleeves the right colour, even with the help of the page here that does name the dyes....some dont come out the way they are supposed to, for some reason. i dont know...maybe you have to overdye something then dye it again to get it to wind up the one you want? doesnt seem right...but its just a guess.

Of course they don't name the colour of the clothes.

Do you go into a clothes store and see "This shirt is a pale sky blue." label on it? No? Oh geez I wonder why.

There is a thread somewhere on the forums, as well. A little dye guide. Search is your friend.

By the way, here's the biggest reason they are never ever ever going to name the colour of clothes:
    Random pigments can make an item of clothing almost ANY given colour and ANY given shade.

If they were to name colours of clothes there would end up being HUNDREDS of names for the above reason. Unless you are volunteering to name every shade a random pigment could potentially colour your clothing, it's not going to happen.

They are never going to name the colour a piece of clothing is, because for all you know, it was gained by some random pigment.

Make do with the fact they name dyes. It's the best you're going to get.

/QQ tell me what colour clothes are ridiculous argument
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tap - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    Options
    How about a bit of a black line around everything that has a purpose? (i.e. not rocks and grass, etc). I was thinking like how that game Borderlands is. I know that would be a huge thing to implement, but maybe it could be one of the graphics options people can turn on or off? Here's an example of what I'm talking about:borderlands_053109.jpg

Kind of like that but like I said, only NPCs, your character, monsters and such.
    I think people might like the idea of this, fixing it for people who have trouble seeing things aside. IMO it looks nice.
  • Aya__ - Heavens Tear
    Aya__ - Heavens Tear Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Hi FoxRunning :)
    Bump for important issue.
    Myself i see colors well but a) I know ppl who cant and how that can mess up even simplest things sometimes b) in some instances i dont see mobs well even with no diagnosed eyesight problem and walk right into them (frost is awful with white on white, and white map background too)
    Try using minimap to see mobs, it helps a lot. And using friends to help you buy / dye things.
    As for coding of these brown on brown or white on white mobs - sure itd be nice but no idea if coding this is doable at all...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear
    _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,458 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    in instances where mobs are hard to see use tab targeting and look at the minimap while you cycle through the mobs, this can give you some idea where mobs are...but still the aggro radius would be hard to estimate without seeing it biggerb:surrender
    TheEmpire

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i guess you picked up the thread somewhere in the middle, and forgot to read my posts. i do use the colour guide, but it isnt entirely accurate, partly because the photos were taken at night, which changes the tint significantly. but the purpose of the thread isnt really about naming colours on clothes, though that would be a big asset! its about how other games have seen the problems of disabled gamers, and doing what they can to adapt aspects of theirs to help. even desk top games have been doing this, especially PopCap.

There is a thread somewhere on the forums, as well. A little dye guide. Search is your friend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-FrankieRaye"
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That it took Blizzard this long to make a patch (being the industry leader and supporting the largest playerbase in the genre) should be a good hint other MMOs aren't likely to be pouring the resources in for this anytime soon. Especially since the developers of that one lame game probably are just trying to offset the bad PR Bobby Kotick gives them by continuing to insult gamers everywhere...

MMOs are videogames by deffinition and suposed to rely on visual media. It can be argued a certain degree of functional eyesight is required to fully access content in much the same way record companies are not required to provide especially dubbed recordings of all their releases to the hearing impaired. A patch to help the visually impaired comes with a cost. A corporation has a legitimate reason to avoid spending that will not significantly impact the majority of it's customer base nor meaningfully increase future revenue.

I do sympathize with your request and support it. I don't mean to discourage you, but i think you should examine what methods are available to improve your gaming experience. Perhaps there's third party software which could be used, and it would certainly be legitimate to request permission from the company for file modifications which address accesibility issues. Perhaps a much larger display would help and there may be organizations that would help provide you with one.

I understand that it may be difficult to deal with many of these issues, there are members of my family who endure physical impairment.

Edit; And i agree, the USA had a mentally disabled president leave office not so long ago, and the current one does seem to be dealing with a couple of psychiatric issues.