I need some help deciding what to be. {:D}

lisathanthree
lisathanthree Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Dungeons & Tactics
Hi! I'm new here, and I'm about to download the game but I don't know exactly which class I want to be. Part of me wants to be a cleric because everybody loves healers and it's never hard to find a party, but then it's really hard to level healers. (At least in other MMOs--if it's different on this game, do tell.) And venomancers seem really cool and original, so I kinda want to be one of those. Do they tank? In the description it said something about defense, so~ And if they don't, is it just the blademasters who tank?

Butyeah, I want to be a healer or a tank or something that won't be hard to find parties in because I hate waiting, haha.

Thank you! :D
Post edited by lisathanthree on

Comments

• _Garra_ - Harshlands
    _Garra_ - Harshlands Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Hi! I'm new here, and I'm about to download the game but I don't know exactly which class I want to be. Part of me wants to be a cleric because everybody loves healers and it's never hard to find a party, but then it's really hard to level healers. (At least in other MMOs--if it's different on this game, do tell.) And venomancers seem really cool and original, so I kinda want to be one of those. Do they tank? In the description it said something about defense, so~ And if they don't, is it just the blademasters who tank?

Butyeah, I want to be a healer or a tank or something that won't be hard to find parties in because I hate waiting, haha.

Thank you! :D

Barbs and BM's generally tank but u can use anyone as a tank really.. um Venos are pretty cool they use Pets and they are used as tanks alot . Sins and Phys are my personal fav .. but its all based on ur interest ... try them all out.. ur able to have every char.. just try them all and stick to the one u like more b:victory
  • Dosinn - Dreamweaver
    Dosinn - Dreamweaver Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    If you want to be garunteed a slot in a squad, then you need to be either a barb or a cleric.

Barbs are the main tanks of PW. With large amounts of hp, and several skills designed to keep mobs focused on you, they make the best tanks, bar none.
    Clerics are your standard healing class. They are responsible for the lions share of buffs and healing in any squad, and have a rather nice set of atks as well, meaning they can look out for themselves, to an extent.

Now, both of these classes will be rather expsensive to play. Barbs have VERY high repair costs, and youll pretty much be required to purchase hp replenishment charms from either other players or the ingame cash shop in order to do the end game instances. Clerics are VERY mp intensive, seeing as they spend their time healing ppl constantly. Cost of mp potions, food items, and mp replenishment charms is comparable to the cost of playing a barb.

Venos CAN tank, but doing so requires that you either be a VERY high lvl, shell out lots of RL cash or ingame coin to buy a very strong pet (note to Venos out there: i dont mean just Hercs. Any of the rare pets that are worth getting as tanks are rather pricey, especially for someone just starting out in the game), or both. HOWEVER, when it comes to repairs, potions, hp/mp replenishment charms, food items, etc, etc, Venos are the cheapest class. They do hit rather hard, and make certain dungeon runs much easier. They can also play the role of a secondary tank, while the main tank is revived or afk, or whatever.

BMs (blademasters) are secondary tanks, and crowd control in dungeon (or instance, which ever word works for you) runs. They have the widest array of weapons available to them, with each weapon type having its own particular strategies. If properly equiped and built, there arent all that many bosses out there that a bm cant tank. The only thing keeping bms from bein 1st tier tanks is the fact they have no aggression keeping skills worth mentioning. As far as ingame expenses is concerned, they tend to run in the middle of the pack. Theyre cheaper to play than barbs or clerics, but more expsensive than venos. The only other downside to being a bm is the fact that of all the classes, the bm is probably the most looked down upon. BMs are a jack-of-all-trades class. They can do a lot, but dont specialize in anything except causing melee dmg. But they do make for good back up DDs for barbs, as it is rather difficult for a BM to steal aggro (aggresion) from a barb, unless the barb is totally inept. Wizards, Archers, Psychics, and Assassins can all steal aggro from a barb without a whole lot of effort, due to the fact they all hit VERY hard.

So, in the end, if you want to be garunteed a spot in a squad, go with either a barb or cleric. Otherwise, just pick a class, and try them out. HOWEVER, before you start playing, i would suggest you visit the various class forums on this website, and read some of the guides posted within. Those guides will answer a lot o questions you might have, and keep you from making costly mistakes with your character. Hope my wall o' text has helped, and welcome to PWI! b:victory
  • Mentaz - Sanctuary
    Mentaz - Sanctuary Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Part of me wants to be a cleric because everybody loves healers and it's never hard to find a party, but then it's really hard to level healers. (At least in other MMOs--if it's different on this game, do tell.)
    Cleric's IMO are actually one of the easiest classes to solo (though none come close to Veno's in that regard). With decent attacks and ability to heal yourself (plus of course buffs), only real issue is mana.
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Venos CAN tank, but doing so requires that you either be a VERY high lvl, shell out lots of RL cash or ingame coin to buy a very strong pet (note to Venos out there: i dont mean just Hercs. Any of the rare pets that are worth getting as tanks are rather pricey, especially for someone just starting out in the game), or both. HOWEVER, when it comes to repairs, potions, hp/mp replenishment charms, food items, etc, etc, Venos are the cheapest class. They do hit rather hard, and make certain dungeon runs much easier. They can also play the role of a secondary tank, while the main tank is revived or afk, or whatever.

O shut up. Glacial walker/Magmite is more than enough for low game bosses to tank as a veno, and a walker with good skils can replace a herc in most dungeons
    PS if you don't know: it's not the veno that tanks, but the veno's pet, while the veno heals the pet

Cleric's aren't as much as a pain to lvl in PWI as they are in most games. There are alot of MMO's where the healer can heal, and can ONLY heal. In PWI, cleric's have a really nice set of DD skils, making them pritty strong in that part of the game aswel.
    Because of this mix, a cleric can easaly solo most of his quests, as they can heal themselves AND kill fast.

Note that later on, cleric's are money burners, as they burn through mp like eehm, fast XD
    In dungeon runs they'll need to take masive amounts of mp pots to keep up with this, which costs alot of money. Though you won't run into this until you actually start doing high lvl dungeon runs, until that it's just the usual caster's mp burn (also pritty high, but not as bad as a cleric on a 3mil hp boss)

The dedicated tank is the barb, with a load of aggro skils to hold the mob onto them even if an archer is going all out (besides aggro skils, it's just dmg that generates aggro, whoever deals the most dmg has the aggro), though secondary tank is BM who also wear's HA and is pritty capable in holding aggro with DDing.
    Certain magic bosses can be best tanked by a caster, for 3/5 magic bosses wiz is the best, cause they have a special self buf that gives them even more defence in 1 element (1 element per buf, 3 bufs)
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Glitch_Bob - Raging Tide
    Glitch_Bob - Raging Tide Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    hi there i too had trouble deciding who to be so i made all(7 of the 8) but the archer(it's not me)and tried them. it takes no time to get to level 20 and by then u will know what is the best 1 for u. read the guides on each 1 and boost your stats to your style. as for me this how i rate them.

untamed is the easiest 1 to play but costs coins to keep your pet fed(but u can try to play without a pet).

clerics are the best healers and saves my butt a lot since i can heal myself. u can fly right from the start which is a big plus for me.

i wont go into the others since u did not ask. in a nut shell i say try both and take a few days on each until u get to level 20 then decide. u might keep both.
    to each their own.
  • Faith_z - Sanctuary
    Faith_z - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Yea, i'd have to agree with Glitch above me, try them and lvl them to 20 to see what is your favourite.

I cant judge Barb of BM because i havent played one.

Cleric is a lot of fun for me, but do know you will get a lot of people whining for rezzes etc as well. And yea they burn a lot of mana, it sure isnt a money making class, but easy to solo with. No problem getting in squads either.

Veno is fun as well, with a free pet you can still have fun and do your job, (regardless what some people say) Its easier to make money with a veno since your pet will get the most hits, so your repairs wont be as high, and you wont need as much potions.
    My caracters:
    Faith_z - 7x Cleric (main)
    HaveFaith_z - 5x Veno
    Ivory_Soul -3x Psychic

Dont give me an attitude, I got one of my own!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Saitadatude FTW :P
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    hi there i too had trouble deciding who to be so i made all(7 of the 8) but the archer(it's not me)and tried them. it takes no time to get to level 20 and by then u will know what is the best 1 for u. read the guides on each 1 and boost your stats to your style. as for me this how i rate them.

untamed is the easiest 1 to play but costs coins to keep your pet fed(but u can try to play without a pet).

clerics are the best healers and saves my butt a lot since i can heal myself. u can fly right from the start which is a big plus for me.

i wont go into the others since u did not ask. in a nut shell i say try both and take a few days on each until u get to level 20 then decide. u might keep both.
    to each their own.

If people would have to decide wheither they're class is fun at lvl 20, there would not be any:
    Wizzy's
    Sins
    Archers
    Clerics
    Psy's

Up to lvl 20 is a pain, and only later (depending on which class, a bit later or much later) can you see the true power of a class

Veno's pet's don't cost sht until you go lvl it's skils. Feeding your pet pure water every 5 mins doesn't drain your money, it's 1 mob's COINS drops at low lvls, at high lvls 1 mob can feed your pet up to an hour and more
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris