Sage or Demon?

bobfu
bobfu Posts: 5 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Venomancer
I have been wondering this question as I am getting closer and closer everyday to this choice.

I know the sage gets a awesome "boss -20% hp" skill and also upgraded mana recover(forget name forgive me).

And also most I talk to of any class here lately are sage? Why not demon? I was thinking of going demon for more damage and to be different!

Also im a full arcane veno idk if it makes a difference?

Just wondering opinions/views of the difference of the two paths & what might be better persay for high level instances?
Post edited by bobfu on

Comments

• Bigtease - Lost City
    Bigtease - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    b:victory only thing i have to tell u about being arcane build veno is sage spark=900% add magic attack demon spark 500% add magic attack b:bye
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    This again?!
    bobfu wrote: »
    I know the sage gets a awesome "boss -20% hp" skill

Pretty much ends the discussion. Everything else seems to be "Eh, demon get this but sage get that"

One fifth of the bosses hit points straight off.
  • SeaStorm - Heavens Tear
    SeaStorm - Heavens Tear Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Highly suggest that you read over all the sage/demon parts of the skills...look at how those would affect your "play" style and chose based on that.

I have heard venos complain that they wish they'd looked at the skills and how they relate to their play style cause they would have been happier with taking a different path if they had.

I have demon veno friend I love to squad with for TT and boss runs cause with me being sage we get the best of both in the squad and can link up for massive damage...example...my sage amp and her demon ironwood, attach that to a set of BM combo skills like glacial spike/heavens flame...party time...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bobfu
    bobfu Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it. I have a better understanding of both paths now after more investigating of the skills. I was just more less getting opinions on which path most venos choose these days. b:bye
  • axt57
    axt57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    A) Demon spark gives 700% magic damage, not 500%. Its also less likely to rip off agro off a boss and gives better p.atk.

B) Going sage for just the 20% hp debuff is stupid. Don't base your endgame decision on one skill, especially not one that another class specializes in.

C) Neither demon nor sage is better. They are both very good and very well balanced. Its all about your playstyle. For me, I had to get more crit for PvP, so the choice was made for me right from the start.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SupaRoyalty - Lost City
    SupaRoyalty - Lost City Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    demon ftw b:dirty
  • Regenbogen - Lost City
    Regenbogen - Lost City Posts: 1,559 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    pretty much everything said said...

both for themselfes are good...
    but together...

demon can get fast to the target purge amp, debuff while sage celestial spark skillspams...
    i am waiting for you my little flagcarriers b:kiss
  • Chobsi - Heavens Tear
    Chobsi - Heavens Tear Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    When I made my decision I looked at the skills I liked, and came out pretty even but then I realized I liked a lot more demon skills compared to sage, but the sage ones I liked were all the pricey ones (30m ish) so Im planning on going demon (12% till 89 >.<) because I can have a lot more of the demon skills I really like compared to the big sage ones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Chobsi the only thing your good at is making your character look good, otherwise your fail"
    "Did that 95 BM just kill himself to your Herc? Mmm..Yep"
    "Oh that thing I thought was a statue, it 1 shot me, switch to your cleric please"
    "So that Hercules guy from the disney movie really aged well.."
    ~Chobsi b:cute
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    When I made my decision I looked at the skills I liked, and came out pretty even but then I realized I liked a lot more demon skills compared to sage, but the sage ones I liked were all the pricey ones (30m ish) so Im planning on going demon (12% till 89 >.<) because I can have a lot more of the demon skills I really like compared to the big sage ones.
    appeal to poverty is a bad reason for choosing a cultivation.

i find demon to be better for the singular venomancer/LA/that heavy armor whack build that needs some of its effects to even make them worth using. the wood debuff, crit skills (mastery, wallop etc), and ironwood effect make up for alot of missing damage.

i find sage pretty support oriented, with all that chi + 20s lending hand cool down, aoe purge, soul degen, more defense in fox for better tanking, etc.

overall theyre both pretty ok. inb4someonesaysdemon=moresupportoriented.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • axt57
    axt57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Demon is quite support oriented too. I wouldn't say either is best for support. They both have their own pluses.

Demon has better bramble - probably the only veno buff which is useful.

Amp on nova - this is clearly a skill designed for squad use. Seal and amp so your squad can go to town on the mobs.

Lending hand has a chance to give 2 sparks, not 1.

Wood debuff on venomous - helps other non-demon venos in squad to deal more damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chobsi - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010

i find sage pretty support oriented, with all that chi + 20s lending hand cool down, aoe purge, soul degen, more defense in fox for better tanking, etc.

overall theyre both pretty ok. inb4someonesaysdemon=moresupportoriented.

aoe purge isnt very much more support oriented compared to a lower cooldown on purge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Chobsi the only thing your good at is making your character look good, otherwise your fail"
    "Oh that thing I thought was a statue, it 1 shot me, switch to your cleric please"
  • _makina_ - Sanctuary
    _makina_ - Sanctuary Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    aoe purge isnt very much more support oriented compared to a lower cooldown on purge.

It is in TW.
  • Chobsi - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010
    It is in TW.

AoE Purge is nice in TW, but thats not a big factor for most people. I think for a veno who wants to be more group "support oriented" a faster cooldown on purge would help more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    bobfu wrote: »
    I have been wondering this question as I am getting closer and closer everyday to this choice.

I know the sage gets a awesome "boss -20% hp" skill and also upgraded mana recover(forget name forgive me).

And also most I talk to of any class here lately are sage? Why not demon? I was thinking of going demon for more damage and to be different!

Also im a full arcane veno idk if it makes a difference?

Just wondering opinions/views of the difference of the two paths & what might be better persay for high level instances?
    Look at the skills, not the generalizations about what is or isn't "support". You decide that.

I chose sage on my veno when I did because she was moving to HA/AA, and there's no doubt if you do that you should be sage. Sage melee/foxform cater specifically to that. AA users have some good alternatives in sage, and really there isn't one better than soul degen specifically designed to **** down bosses much faster. However, if I were doing AA the whole way I would have likely chosen demon.
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    actually there are more benefits from demon on HA than sage. i see no point going sage as HA. for just melee mastery? look at demon fox skills... unless you just pve