Shards

Options
Neylyana - Lost City
Neylyana - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Blademaster
What shards should fist BM use? (heavy armor ofc)
Post edited by Neylyana - Lost City on

Comments

• Magical_Orgy - Lost City
    Magical_Orgy - Lost City Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Citrine (HP) always.
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Citrine (HP) always.

At 99 with basic endgame refines you should be using magic defense in 4/6 of your sockets.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    At 99 with basic endgame refines you should be using magic defense in 4/6 of your sockets.

Citrines, Vit stones or +2 def level shards. I wouldn't do sapphires unless I could afford gems. Marrow and mdef charms ftw.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Devoted - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Citrines, Vit stones or +2 def level shards. I wouldn't do sapphires unless I could afford gems. Marrow and mdef charms ftw.

At a point +2 def shards are better. I definitely wouldn't recommend using all +2 def shards but going pure hp endgame is horrible. I'd show you some numbers that would change your mind in 2 seconds but like I've said before, people can learn themselves.
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    But we wantz numberz. (Archers and their math b:cry)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    But we wantz numberz. (Archers and their math b:cry)

You seriously expect us to **** ourselves over by saying what is best end game so the sharp increase in demand makes it harder for us to get our shards? Ask me again in a year :)
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
    edited March 2010
    Options
    At a point +2 def shards are better. I definitely wouldn't recommend using all +2 def shards but going pure hp endgame is horrible. I'd show you some numbers that would change your mind in 2 seconds but like I've said before, people can learn themselves.

As a BM (even though I haven't completely followed my own advice) should just get the highest grade mdef adornments they can farm/buy and focus on refining them first. If they can get lunar or highly refined coa rings, then the need for mdef sharding becomes much less important. I think a BM should focus more on hitting 10k unbuffed HP before they consider mdef sharding, but that's just me. I will give you that mdef sharding is cheaper but in many circumstances the stacked -33 or 42 mdef you'd get from flawless or immaculates are wasted because of all the other physical classes... they won't do much against end-game archers (which you would rather have more hp for) or casters, who will **** you regardless of a couple hundred extra mdef.

I'd just say +6-8 neck/belt (and nb ring if you have one) would be sufficient. However, I see far too many barbs and BMs wearing Sky Demon's Pear at endgame which is just a waste anyway.

Besides, there's Balance and TE that provide decent magic shields as well as defense charms that can be spammed to make the additional HP a bit better, IMO.
  • Motoko - Raging Tide
    Motoko - Raging Tide Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Am I the only one who spams marrows for chi nonstop and has demon magic marrow on at all times b:shocked? I was geting focused by 2 Psys yesterday in PK, one had a +10 lunar weap, the other... meh the 80 mold, and I was surviving just fine with my (crappy) fully buffed 8.8k hp and 9700 mdef.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This is the way the world ends
    Not with a bang but a whimper. - T. S. Eliot
  • shootingstarvn
    shootingstarvn Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    As a BM (even though I haven't completely followed my own advice) should just get the highest grade mdef adornments they can farm/buy and focus on refining them first. If they can get lunar or highly refined coa rings, then the need for mdef sharding becomes much less important. I think a BM should focus more on hitting 10k unbuffed HP before they consider mdef sharding, but that's just me. I will give you that mdef sharding is cheaper but in many circumstances the stacked -33 or 42 mdef you'd get from flawless or immaculates are wasted because of all the other physical classes... they won't do much against end-game archers (which you would rather have more hp for) or casters, who will **** you regardless of a couple hundred extra mdef.

I'd just say +6-8 neck/belt (and nb ring if you have one) would be sufficient. However, I see far too many barbs and BMs wearing Sky Demon's Pear at endgame which is just a waste anyway.

Besides, there's Balance and TE that provide decent magic shields as well as defense charms that can be spammed to make the additional HP a bit better, IMO.

b:shocked better than some BM / Barbs with HH 90 gold , low refine , Sky Pear and phys belt with flawless mag def shards in all sock b:shockedb:cry
  • AsHeZ - Harshlands
    AsHeZ - Harshlands Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Am I the only one who spams marrows for chi nonstop and has demon magic marrow on at all times b:shocked? I was geting focused by 2 Psys yesterday in PK, one had a +10 lunar weap, the other... meh the 80 mold, and I was surviving just fine with my (crappy) fully buffed 8.8k hp and 9700 mdef.

you iz not alone b:victory
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Citrine (HP) always.

Citrines seem useless on BMs unless spamming diamond sutra b:chuckle I could just refine gears for more HP

Garnets and sapphires are better on BMs because of Aura of the golden bell, and marrows.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Citrines seem useless on BMs unless spamming diamond sutra b:chuckle I could just refine gears for more HP

Garnets and sapphires are better on BMs because of Aura of the golden bell, and marrows.

That makes me sadface =(

So many BM's actually do shard garnet. It's like a wizzie sharding full sapphire. =/

I used to be pretty much HP obsessed and I've always sharded citrine to everything, but I'm thinking now I might take advantage of the next anni-pack sale and grab a few sapphire gems for at least a piece of my gear. Losing 200hp for +400 magic defence seems a pretty sweet deal.
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options

Never ever ever ever (did I say ever?) shard garnets on your armour. Unless you happen to be an arcane BM, which in that case you might want to rethink your priorities. If you're HA with maxed aura of the golden bell, you have ample physical defense without the need of sharding garnets.

In my opinion, if your refines < average, go citrines. If your refines > average, put some sapphires.

You need basic HP to survive, and after that, you can shard for some mdef.

But I can't stress more. PDef shards on a BM are terrible.

edit: makes me sad face too :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I use evasion shards.... <_< b:thanksb:victory
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    @advanced_zero O______O... Maybe that is useful XD only against physical but yeah
    Never ever ever ever (did I say ever?) shard garnets on your armour. Unless you happen to be an arcane BM, which in that case you might want to rethink your priorities. If you're HA with maxed aura of the golden bell, you have ample physical defense without the need of sharding garnets.

In my opinion, if your refines < average, go citrines. If your refines > average, put some sapphires.

You need basic HP to survive, and after that, you can shard for some mdef.

But I can't stress more. PDef shards on a BM are terrible.

edit: makes me sad face too :(

Well of course we all know that we need HP to survive, but in maths, what good is citrines besides relying on diamond sutra? Them citrines won't save you if magic is hitting you because little HP bonus is not really worth it IMO.

.At my LVL I can have 70% P.DEF bonus total. Where diamond sutra only heals 20% of maximum HP + X. Your getting better survivability against physical attacks from much better damage reduction from total defense + % of damage taken reduced. What good is flawless citrines (40 HP per shard)? 7 flawless citrines = 280 HP... what good is that?

BMs are pretty expensive x_x, garnets for heavy armor and sapphires for light armor. Swapping to max defenses is better off imo.

Off topic: about wizards going full sapphire is also good imo, they are magic tankers after all aren't they? b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Ranfa - Dreamweaver
    Ranfa - Dreamweaver Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Erm what good is making the fastest car even faster? Hope you don't crush on the next curve because you couldn't drift fast enough...

Garnets only boost our strength even farther while leaving our weakness wide open. It's equivalent of making an impenetrable defense in the front of your base in a strategy game, only to be completely destroyed because you left your back door open with "WELCOME" mat on the steps.

What good is physical defense if you are getting hit for full damage from arcane casters? At least Citrine can give you more chance to survive an otherwise fatal blow. b:surrender
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    @advanced_zero O______O... Maybe that is useful XD only against physical but yeah

Well of course we all know that we need HP to survive, but in maths, what good is citrines besides relying on diamond sutra? Them citrines won't save you if magic is hitting you because little HP bonus is not really worth it IMO.

.At my LVL I can have 70% P.DEF bonus total. Where diamond sutra only heals 20% of maximum HP + X. Your getting better survivability against physical attacks from much better damage reduction from total defense + % of damage taken reduced. What good is flawless citrines (40 HP per shard)? 7 flawless citrines = 280 HP... what good is that?

BMs are pretty expensive x_x, garnets for heavy armor and sapphires for light armor. Swapping to max defenses is better off imo.

Off topic: about wizards going full sapphire is also good imo, they are magic tankers after all aren't they? b:chuckle

Your thoughts are PvE only. I understand that if you fight pure physical only, it works. If you only run BHs and grind on pure phys mobs, it works fine. However, HP is still better. If you add garnets, the phys def doesn't make that big difference.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Legendadry - Harshlands
    Legendadry - Harshlands Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I've done some numbers and HP really is best. If a mage crits you for let's say 14k and you have 8k mdef, w/out any sapphires in ur gear. you shard sapphiers and now let's say ahve 9.5k mdef(dobut it) the mage would then crit you for maybe 12k instead of 14k. HP is far better, you just have to know how to use your skills.

Sharding garnet is stupid, unless you have your mag marrow on 24/7, and even then thats stupid. when u get either sage or demon magic marrow reduction of phys def is less, so not really that bad.
    I dont level Slow I just enjoy the game b:surrender
    edited March 2010
    Options

*facepalm at everything you've said*

Funny troll isn't really funny.

Your thoughts are PvE only. I understand that if you fight pure physical only, it works. If you only run BHs and grind on pure phys mobs, it works fine. However, HP is still better. If you add garnets, the phys def doesn't make that big difference.

I can't even believe I'm saying this, but putting wood and metal shards would be less fail then anything unconventional mentioned so far... And every time I see someone shard with them, I lol. Usually out loud.
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Oh...wood yes...and metal...(goes and clears all armor and adds metal and wood magic defense...) woot...
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Devoted - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I've done some numbers and HP really is best. If a mage crits you for let's say 14k and you have 8k mdef, w/out any sapphires in ur gear. you shard sapphiers and now let's say ahve 9.5k mdef(dobut it) the mage would then crit you for maybe 12k instead of 14k. HP is far better, you just have to know how to use your skills.

Sharding garnet is stupid, unless you have your mag marrow on 24/7, and even then thats stupid. when u get either sage or demon magic marrow reduction of phys def is less, so not really that bad.

If you think hp is better after doing the numbers... you haven't done the numbers right.
    I lol. Usually out loud.

You laugh out loud usually out loud? b:sad
    edited March 2010
    Options
    @ Devoted - I'm interested in seeing a PW calc of a BM done by you. b:thanks Interested in showing??
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You laugh out loud usually out loud? b:sad

Well, actually bursting out laughing as oppsed to just typing lol.
  • Devoted - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well, actually bursting out laughing as oppsed to just typing lol.

Ah, I understand. That's like me and archers using dual hh90 gold magic rings for the evasion, except I cry.

@advance I would except there is only a small advantage I have over cash shoppers. Seeing how long it will take me to obtain an 'ideal' build I'm going to wait till I'm a bit closer to achieving it :x