how to lvl through the 80s as non-cashshopping casual

Options
2»

Comments

• Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    REALLY don't understand this 85 requirement for frost.

Ok, I get one extra pet heal, another 500hp or so on my pet and 15 stat points.
    That's really not going to change my effectiveness very much.

Ok, so I don't get a quest reward. So what? That doesn't hurt the squad any.

Bah. Cowards.

Anyway. Rebirth - did they fix the rainbow squad yet? Because the death of that was the death of my getting into rebirth ever. BH69 can just bite me and die. FB89 is a bit too slow still.

The low 80s are sloooooow for me.
    This is what I don't get.

I've had people say I couldn't do frost cause I'm not level 80 yet and they'll end up taking a tank that has less HP than I do simply cause he's 2 levels higher.

Most barbs will continue using calamity axes past 80, and will use mold gear instead of HH80 so really the only difference between a level 80 barb and a level 78 barb is the lvl 79 mold plate and 10 stat points.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Why don't I grind on mobs 12 above me? Because the game won't let me take that justice quest and the xp difference for that quest is enough to make it worth it.

I can happily grind out level 90 mobs. Frost isn't a problem.

Yes, I get a smaller share of the XP, because the higher levels take more. Again, my problem not theirs. It's still more *FUN* than what I'm currently doing. I wouldn't really care if I never dinged again. (In fact, I kinda wish I stayed 79) - but because I'm in this 80-but-not-85 limbo, there's nothing interesting for me to DO.
  • FoxyCleo - Raging Tide
    FoxyCleo - Raging Tide Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Guess what, everyone has to go through this. The 85+s that wont let you join experienced this before you, and thousands of chars will face this while you're above 85.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Guess what, everyone has to go through this. The 85+s that wont let you join experienced this before you, and thousands of chars will face this while you're above 85.

So... why don't they stop?
    I have run a successful frost (a couple of levels ago, no less). I know I can. So when and if I get to run it regularly, I know I'll not be turning people down just because they're not 85.

Same with TT - I regularly take 5x people in to show them around. Why not?
  • FoxyCleo - Raging Tide
    FoxyCleo - Raging Tide Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    People want the easy road. Higher levels are considered to be more powerful ... all that talk about 3 xp more per mob is just the official excuse.
    Also, most of them went through what you're going through now and don't want you to have it easier than them.
  • eowyn - Sanctuary
    eowyn - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You have a good point, the most simple explanation is ppl base a players ability on their lvl. Which is very wrong of course.
    You could try to form a squad yourself, that way you can't be declined ;)
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    some casters would take a frost wep well into the 90s because it's a grade 12 wep and because its mods are very offensively oriented, such that it may be on par even against some of the defensive oriented TT99s in damage.

but obviously 85 doesn't automatically mean a player has a frost wep, and i was simply offering a possible explanation. reduced damage against mobs that are orange to you perhaps? i never really noticed the level of the mobs in there.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • King_Asmodei - Lost City
    King_Asmodei - Lost City Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i can easily say lvl =/= equal skill other wise explain how at lvl 79 i tanked a lvl 96+ bm for near 10 minutes we were both charmed. and how i killed someother 9x bm at lvl 80. im not saying im awesome or that im better,(i honestly think it was a fluke killing the one bm), some players think cause of their lvl they are better. and i would love to do gammas or frost.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sigh* I started as one of the few fists bms. I was ridiculed left and right now ur laughed at if you're not a fist bm. b:surrender
  • Adagio - Lost City
    Adagio - Lost City Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Pretty much what everone else said. Stack your bhs and dont go back after each boss. If you can just grind till you have the money for a charm gv is really nice way to level.
  • Daumin - Harshlands
    Daumin - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i enjoy eating beans.
    beans on tacos.... hmmm tastey!
  • KohakuNushi - Lost City
    KohakuNushi - Lost City Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    jus pick flowers some hours at day and mats , in the nite put cat shop , then money come too u b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    Neodaystar - Sanctuary Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Reasons why people prefer to squad with lvl 85+ for FCC
    Its not like the frost weapons make the difference. The thins is, players need to be in the same lvl range to maximize exp. And since most ppl are over lvl 85 who do it, you should be as well.

So why wait till 85? Well, why do you not grind on mobs 10-20 lvl higher than you? Is it your attack power? Your defence? Perhaps, but more importantly, the lvl difference with the mobs. That wont allow you to do much dmg and receive much more. So higher lvl means easier run, and lvl 85 is around that point where is gets doable nicely. Ofcourse 1 player in a squad that is 84 or 83 wont make much of a difference.

Well Said eowyn b:victory

You get more experience per time spent in Gamma than you do in FCC under level 85, which may be another reason why lvl 85 is the stereotypical level for FCC. Aside from the other fact that you don't get that repeatable reward quest(s) or be able to use that npc teleporter in FCC until level 85 (instead you will have to spend a few minutes running around - in a few cases I've seen people getting lost in the instance and wasting everyone's time).

Just a few days ago, I did a run with two friends new to FCC, lvl 80 wizard, lvl 81 bm; also a level 85 veno with herc, and the rest of the squad lvl 90+. The run went smoothly, and not many deaths for those who were new to it lol. I had realized the experience gained per kills were indeed alot less (so yes - what eowyn said about being in the same lvl range to maximize exp is true). It also took us over 4 hours to get through the entire run. Will I do this thing again? Maybe not with more than 3 people under level 90.
    I do FCC on a regular basis with people within my level range 90+ and we complete all the runs on average of about 70 minutes. It's all about what the squad's goal is. Is it to explore the city for the first time, or to get as much exp and as quickly as possible? Of course, the exp per time spent is the most common reason why people do FCC.
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Just a few days ago, I did a run with two friends new to FCC, lvl 80 wizard, lvl 81 bm; also a level 85 veno with herc, and the rest of the squad lvl 90+. The run went smoothly, and not many deaths for those who were new to it lol. I had realized the experience gained per kills were indeed alot less (so yes - what eowyn said about being in the same lvl range to maximize exp is true). It also took us over 4 hours to get through the entire run. Will I do this thing again? Maybe not with more than 3 people under level 90.
    I do FCC on a regular basis with people within my level range 90+ and we complete all the runs on average of about 70 minutes. It's all about what the squad's goal is. Is it to explore the city for the first time, or to get as much exp and as quickly as possible? Of course, the exp per time spent is the most common reason why people do FCC.

lolwut, four hours?

I did a run earlier today, me tanking, level 81 cleric, level 77 herc veno, level 83 BM, level 87 psy, and level 82 archer, only one of us as you can see was over 85.

Took us 90 minutes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Maiira - Sanctuary
    Maiira - Sanctuary Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    if you are really persistant than squads should let you in, ive gotten 4 fcc squads already. if you really really want a fcc squad... make one.
    lvl101 LA/AA demon veno ftw, 15251 hp buffed, 13508 buffed pdef in human. able to use tt100 fists at 5 aps w/ genie. all from 2 years of work... WASTED
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    was fun while it lasted