Confused...What should I really expect from a high lvl Archer?

Options
IMali - Heavens Tear
IMali - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Archer
Okay i know that archers have their weaknesses as well as their strengths, as with any other class. I have also read in some posts that archers are NOT worth playing unless you are going PVP in end game and gots moneyyyy to buy super duper gear. At the same time I have also read that if your sticking to PVE you don't really need super duper gear, then again I have also read that PVE is lame and the only thing a good archer is worth is playing PVP...-sigh- so confusing. My goal for this game is to not be a PVP player but a PVE and help my faction mates out with whatever they need b:pleased, but some of the comments I have seen about the archer has gotten me so frustrated and sad...lvl17 archer..kinda early to look toward the future, but I like to have set goals.
Post edited by IMali - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Godssavier - Dreamweaver
    Godssavier - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    your job is destruction a dder at higher lvls youll destroy so fast youll even suprise yourself. at boasses youll get skills to lower there hp to help others is by power, hp reduction and the best part of archers pk. if you dont wanna pk archers arent jsut ment for that there pretty funclass with or without
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    you can expect to be one of three things

A. one who complains about all the limitations of the archer, get to 70-80, and quit: giving up any intention on ever playing one

B. this ones split into two sub genres
    -idiot who doesnt know how to play an archer, and just shoots/steals aggro/dies or spams skills like a noob
    -same as above, but you spend thousands of dollars on your gear, thinking your refines make you skilled

C. use a superior sense of learning and adaptation to overcome your weaknesses and find one of the most fufilling classes in game in terms of power and learning experiences.

though im far from reaching my nirvana of archer enlightenment, ive chosen to be C.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    you can expect to be one of three things

A. one who complains about all the limitations of the archer, get to 70-80, and quit: giving up any intention on ever playing one

B. this ones split into two sub genres
    -idiot who doesnt know how to play an archer, and just shoots/steals aggro/dies or spams skills like a noob
    -same as above, but you spend thousands of dollars on your gear, thinking your refines make you skilled

C. use a superior sense of learning and adaptation to overcome your weaknesses and find one of the most fufilling classes in game in terms of power and learning experiences.

though im far from reaching my nirvana of archer enlightenment, ive chosen to be C.

I choose B. (a)

:D
  • Badazmofo - Dreamweaver
    Badazmofo - Dreamweaver Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    i use to be B(a) but ive learned how to aggro manage xD so now i hope im C..... laying face down in the dirt while your squad is yelling "{insert your name here} nooooooooooooooooooo you stupid noob" will teach you how to aggro manage or you wont have anyone who wants to squad with you XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You can expect that it is necessary to find your own way to make coin. You are last in TT picks, so that option is somewhat harder to exploit as a money-making scheme. On the bright side, you can forgo TT gear until 90 (and only legs / boots until upper 90s).

As for non-PvP endgame, you can (1) grind, (2) Forgotten Frostlands, (3) grind, (4) buy fashion, and (5) grind. Furthermore, in squad activities, you will usually have to hold back unless the tank is (1) you, or (2) deals more damage than you (herc / fist BM / better Damage Dealer / etc.).

In terms of helping a faction, your possibilities are somewhat limited. You can tank some bosses (more if you refine high or go hybrid). If helping a faction is your highest priority, you may consider switching to another class.

You are also required to post some sort of guide, dissertation, or research product that is well written, analytical, and useful to the archer community. Expect criticism; it builds character and quality.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Me choose B(a)
    even though me are not an archer.
    b:surrender
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Cristian_ - Lost City
    _Cristian_ - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Me choose B(a)
    even though me are not an archer.
    b:surrender

seriously hamsta, do you ever talk without sounding like an idiot?

me talk like this are not funny, it are ret.arded
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You are also required to post some sort of guide, dissertation, or research product that is well written, analytical, and useful to the archer community.
    does doing such for the simpleton sheep known as venomancers count?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Veronica_ - Heavens Tear
    Veronica_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Archer is not bad if you know how to play * the hole treaths about archer fail end-game got me shocked as well b:shocked *

For PVE they are a nice money making clase which is entiraly offence , the hole thing about archer is realizing that the best defence is a strong offence so archer's try and max their damaga is hight as possible pvp wise and a little pve ..... I'm mainly PVE too only at highter lvl I hope to TW and nothing more ....... just try and control your damaga PVE most of the pvp archers kinda.... overdo it b:sad
  • Smobo - Heavens Tear
    Smobo - Heavens Tear Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    No other class will spend weeks on end doing experiments to see if at high attack speeds, using a % speed increase skill will truncate or round to the nearest .05 seconds. AKA archers are win.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "People who quote themselves in their signatures are silly. I mean, they can just make up whatever **** they want, and since they said it in their siggie, its a quote." - Smobo
  • Ryohki - Raging Tide
    Ryohki - Raging Tide Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Archers pwn in pvp if they get the first hit (besides a charmed barb/BM), if not well then, b:bye. But it's fun to crit and oneshot squishies :3 Pve wise it's pretty much the same thing over and over....ST boss....hope barb keeps aggro or herc dun die and go afk. ^^v altho that's not the ideal thing its practically what 99% of archers do. Stealing aggro sucks cause then you get the pt wiped, or you die, and everyone is all like "GAWD -.-! FAIL archer..." But meh. It happens, ignore the drama and move on. Coin wise it sucks until you're on your feet and have a nice little stash of coin and good gears.

All in All...archers ftw. b:kiss
  • Ryohki - Raging Tide
    Ryohki - Raging Tide Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    No other class will spend weeks on end doing experiments to see if at high attack speeds, using a % speed increase skill will truncate or round to the nearest .05 seconds. AKA archers are win.

b:victory ten chars :3
  • Veronica_ - Heavens Tear
    Veronica_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Archers pwn in pvp if they get the first hit (besides a charmed barb/BM), if not well then, b:bye. But it's fun to crit and oneshot squishies :3 Pve wise it's pretty much the same thing over and over....ST boss....hope barb keeps aggro or herc dun die and go afk. ^^v altho that's not the ideal thing its practically what 99% of archers do. Stealing aggro sucks cause then you get the pt wiped, or you die, and everyone is all like "GAWD -.-! FAIL archer..." But meh. It happens, ignore the drama and move on. Coin wise it sucks until you're on your feet and have a nice little stash of coin and good gears.

All in All...archers ftw. b:kiss

I agree with you
  • FitHitDShan - Sanctuary
    FitHitDShan - Sanctuary Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    does doing such for the simpleton sheep known as venomancers count?

I hope so. I'm still coasting on the work I did for BMs before I saw the light. As long as you used plenty of math....

@OP - One thing you have to understand about the archers-fail-endgame fad is that when the game first came out everyone saw archers as easy mode for PvP. Sure, there were crackpots who talked about how mages (obviously these people had played a different version of the game and meant wizards) would be uber-awesome endgame, but the vast majority of players ignored this. While the PvP edge was 70, 80, and even 90, everyone was happy. Now that the other classes have come into their own and the inherent limits on the archer skills (being based on a fixed damage add not a percent of base) are binding, you see a group particularly upset not to be what they thought the class was all about. If that isn't what you chose an archer for, though, don't let it worry you.
    "?" IS my avatar.
  • Badazmofo - Dreamweaver
    Badazmofo - Dreamweaver Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    i came to pw from another FTP mmo and i picked an archer expecting to be realy crappy(thats how archers were in that game crappy atk and even worse def) but i was surprized and pleased when i frist started dueling ppl and was like omg wtf archers pwn b:pleased b:victory XD so trust me no matter how bad ppl think archers are it will never be as bad as that other game XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You can expect being useful for pve and decent in group pvp/TW, but many other classes will be more beneficial and have it easier 1v1.

I used to play wizard, my mage on MY server is 100+. I knew coming here wizards ***** endgame but i still made a archer. I didn't think the difference in pvp would be that big and that archers would have it so much harder 99+. Also i was rather tired of having a char that was useless for farming (wizard) and got excluded from 99% of instances.

So i made an archer thinking i could get a class that was both amazing for pvp and pve which i guess that was rather naive b:surrender.

In many cases i really regret not making a wizard here to b:cry
    I miss the high phy and magical defense, the crazy dmg and 1 shooting archers with sandstorm crits lol. Or doing 5 digits dmg on groups of people in TW and actually being able to kill people my lvl without having to depend on luck and working my **** of ;(

But i dont miss the fact that i always stood in Archo south doing nothing on my wiz, cuz i was completely not needed for anything but pvp and TW. I also dont miss having to cash shop everything, even for coins to upgrade my skills, since i couldn't farm money at all besides grinding. Compared to that playing archer has been far more rewarding even tho the class is weaker in pvp.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

XD

Well, if you look at it, there isn't many similar things with other classes. Well, I suppose fist BMs would have the same deal. Just unlucky that the nerdiest bunch made Archers.

And your example is less "experiment", more "comparison". Guess that just proves that high school math just doesn't give people the right mindset, unless they are actually interested in it. After all, there is hardly anything amazingly mathematical in equipping pieces of gear and using skills in-game and comparing it to simple numbers outside of the game.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Transcend - Lost City
    Transcend - Lost City Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    If you're dedicated enough, expect to realize that the forum opinions are just that; opinions. Everyone's experience is somewhat unique, and your success depends on your ability to quickly recognize each situation and counter appropriately.

Unless you have some outrageous reason to do otherwise, choose demon as your cultivation. This will maximize your short-term damage potential, which is vital for the end-game pvp environment. Fighting static mobs loses it's novelty at level 30, especially in this game imo.

Expect to have a 40-45% crit rate at 101, depending on how easily you can acquire event gear. You will also have quickshot, which is our bread and butter at this point in your archer life, and creates fear or death upon the majority of those you cast it on. You can expect to chain together 6, 7, and 8-crit combos that can take down even the best geared players in the game.

Expect to be one-shot by end-game mages, BM's, some veno's, and rank 8 archers if you have ~5k hp. But you will learn how to counter them, surely provoking a WTF by said player when brushing off ice dragons like no other.

You will learn to chain certain skills, read player buffs, and instantly know how to take out players better geared and in a supposed better class. You will enjoy it immensely, and perhaps recognized for your abilities in a heavily gear-based game.

You will spend days farming (or buying) herbs, and amass a large cache of life-saving apothecary pots that are vital to your survival in TW and PVP. It's considerably cheaper to buy/replace herbs than dolls/guardian scrolls, and without these, your life will be spent much in death.

You will some day look back at your journey and think to yourself, "Damn, I love being an archer.."

Or you can just quit.

[edit] I just read that the OP would rather PVE .. I guess disregard this post b:shocked [/edit]
    youtube.com/transcendpw

Latest Release: Electric Daisy Carnival [20 June 2013]
    Total Videos: 38
    Subscribers: 1,775
    Total Views: 1.21 million

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ayainity - Heavens Tear
    Ayainity - Heavens Tear Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thank you for making this thread and those that answered as well. Really helped me out.b:pleasedb:pleased
  • Etaerc - Lost City
    Etaerc - Lost City Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You can expect being useful for pve and decent in group pvp/TW, but many other classes will be more beneficial and have it easier 1v1.

I used to play wizard, my mage on MY server is 100+. I knew coming here wizards ***** endgame but i still made a archer. I didn't think the difference in pvp would be that big and that archers would have it so much harder 99+. Also i was rather tired of having a char that was useless for farming (wizard) and got excluded from 99% of instances.

So i made an archer thinking i could get a class that was both amazing for pvp and pve which i guess that was rather naive b:surrender.

In many cases i really regret not making a wizard here to b:cry
    I miss the high phy and magical defense, the crazy dmg and 1 shooting archers with sandstorm crits lol. Or doing 5 digits dmg on groups of people in TW and actually being able to kill people my lvl without having to depend on luck and working my **** of ;(

But i dont miss the fact that i always stood in Archo south doing nothing on my wiz, cuz i was completely not needed for anything but pvp and TW. I also dont miss having to cash shop everything, even for coins to upgrade my skills, since i couldn't farm money at all besides grinding. Compared to that playing archer has been far more rewarding even tho the class is weaker in pvp.

Lilyleaf? b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I'm a non-PvP archer.

I'm enjoying playing this class...it's so much more fun to be a DD and be an optional part of squads than to be a barb and always in demand.

I'm not high level yet...only 71, but there are very few mobs that I cannot kill without getting hit-magic, poison and ranged mobs are the only ones thus far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Elven_archer - Dreamweaver
    Elven_archer - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    yea archers rocks and repairs arent a thing(not like sins that repiar like ****) then
    only what i repair most is my bow(xbow sometimes)then archers rocks even when idk how to fully controle aggro(wel if foe walks to me im doomd and enad to stop attacking to let a barb or so take the aggro back whail i shot my arrows at the =) ) then i never took aggro expet if i crit very hard(my higest is 6500 dmg) then 20k arrows is enugh to grind for a week or so(from ador post) then archer is easy do pure dex and just attack at max rang start with frost or any ador skil and knock back after 2 reg and foes most like y half the hp then easy kils and winged shell works perfecet for protection and for mp factory :) happy hunting all
  • Technotic - Sanctuary
    Technotic - Sanctuary Posts: 591 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    archers are only good for PvE now. Assassins roll archers over in PvP
    Say my name 3 times, I dare you.

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    archers are only good for PvE now. Assassins roll archers over in PvP

Here you go again. ._.

Any class will roll you if you have 3K HP.

Stop your QQing about TBs being OP already.
  • Archers_Soul - Lost City
    Archers_Soul - Lost City Posts: 746 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    if your not a CS archer gtfo and re-roll wiz.

/thread

@trancend: you always make a wall of text that i am too lazy to read D: summarize >.<
    I don't care how old or young you are, how small your **** is, how much of a nerd irl you are or how depressed you are that you never will get laid. There is no reason to act like an A-hole to everyone on an mmorpg. Its a shame that I have to take time out of my day to tell people "stop being an A-hole". So I end with this, if your acting like an A-hole, and some one tells you your being an A-hole chances are your being an A-hole.
  • Tomiko - Heavens Tear
    Tomiko - Heavens Tear Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options

Lol, if you aren't able to spend time to farm coins for gear, or cash shop for gears, I suggest you stay away from wizard. Mage gets few TT parties unless it's friends or guild, and they suck down mana charms like mountain dew. You'll be making little coins, spending lots just to level, and gearing yourself out of your own pocket. If you aren't spending cash or doing lots of farming I suggest a veno or a barb.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You obviously haven't fought equal geared BMs/barbs/veno's/assassins/vit clerics/wizards. If you honestly think any respectable target does down easily you're awfully wrong.
    lol... if you like **** yourself over. If you don't have at least +5 gear and a lot of good equips along with a +7 or higher weapon you're useless as a wizard.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You obviously haven't fought equal geared BMs/barbs/veno's/assassins/vit clerics/wizards. If you honestly think any respectable target does down easily you're awfully wrong.

Lol i said archers as in the ones you can can drop with 1 sandstorm crit. Decent BM, barbs, vita cleric will not die from undine + sandstorm crit unless you're a rank 8 wizards +12 or if they suck terribly using wrong marrow/take their gear of b:surrender. It can how ever bypass their charm if you're pure magic build and have a decent refined weapon.

And obv dealing 5 digits dmg is not something you always do as wizards, good luck launching triple spark, frenzy, ice dragon 1v1. People have like time to go to the toilet, take a shower, make toast and come back before you're done channeling. But its rather amazing getting it of in TW/group pvp at least b:cry
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    if you can't afford +5 equip +7 wep by 9x that's pretty bad period...ijs

i'm sure anyone who spends a little effort to make coins can do it
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Tryndal - Heavens Tear
    Tryndal - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well either way Demon/Sage archers are an acceptional class. From previous post yes you need to learn your skills and when to hold back and when to let loose. I went Sage,
    don't regret it. I have learned to over come the disadvantages that occur not being Demon.

To answer the being picked last in TT for drops simple solution: Be the highest DD in the squad and you will always be 3rd in line for picks. Unless your the tank for the instance heheheh (I do it all the time) and sub the instance then u get first pick either way!

Yes archers are a little expensive, refined gears, arrows, repairs (not so much), charms and mats/herbs. Once you get past all that guess what? Welcome to world of Archers

Genies are our friends too!!!!!!

So I'm thinking that I have reached that answer of: I am as all others who have reached these levels, choose and surpassed choice "C"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Arrows fletched with the feathers of angels seldom miss their mark.