Few Wiz questions

Options
ofheaven
ofheaven Posts: 26 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Wizard
Im new, Lv. 33 wiz at the moment, ive been following the new wiz guides you guys provide, i think i remember reading somewhere not to level the water fire earth masteries until end game?.. is this true? all i have lvled is pyro SR and gush, 1 into morning dew, stone barrier , glaciel embrace, what other skills am i safe leveling right now? i just dont wanna level anything up if i dont need it.

thanks, Josh
Post edited by ofheaven on

Comments

• Magicsaber - Dreamweaver
    Magicsaber - Dreamweaver Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ofheaven wrote: »
    Im new, Lv. 33 wiz at the moment, ive been following the new wiz guys you guys provide, i think i remember reading somewhere not to level the water fire earth masteries until end game?.. is this true? all i have lvled is pyro SR and gush, 1 into morning dew, stone barrier , glaciel embrace, what other skills am i safe leveling right now? i just dont wanna anything up if i dont need it.

Here recommendation from the one of the guides:

Recommended Spells in terms of Priority

Primary Spells: You'll need these spells to function in the game. Absolutely needed.
    Pyrogram
    Gush
    Stone Rain
    Distance Shrink
    Essential Sutra

Secondary Spells: Level these whenever you can, but never at the cost of a Primary Spell.
    Morning Dew
    Dragon's Breath
    Sandstorm
    Blade Tempest
    Black Ice Dragon Strike

Recommendations: Spells to be considered when there's nothing else to level up but have SP available.
    Glacial Embrace
    Stone Barrier
    Frost Blade
    Manifest Virtue
    Mountain's Seize

Optional: You can grab these out of personal taste, but not at the cost of something important.
    Wellspring Quaff
    Glacial Snare
    Will of the Phoenix
    Force of Will
    Soporific Whisper

End Game: Raise only when everything else needed is raised.
    Fire Mastery
    Water Mastery
    Earth Mastery
    Undine Strike
    Hailstorm

Everything else you can get after that.

My Wizard at level 70 had maximized all skills except Hail Storm, Frost Blade, Emberstorm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ofheaven
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yes that is the guide ive been following, but i have to lvl pyro shell, crown of flame , divine pyrogram just to get dragons breath, is it worth it? will i need to use dragons breath lvling?

Also i currently have 111167 spirit remaining is that to much?
  • Magicsaber - Dreamweaver
    Magicsaber - Dreamweaver Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yes that is the guide ive been following, but i have to lvl pyro shell, crown of flame , divine pyrogram just to get dragons breath, is it worth it? will i need to use dragons breath lvling?
    DB (dragons breath) can be used in BH missions, RB missions - against group of mobs and during AoE grinding in squad with Cleric.

It can be leveled as soon as you will need to do RB missions.

You not need it at your level.

Other spells from above list were and are very useful for my Wizard.
    Also i currently have 111167 spirit remaining is that to much?

This is dependent on spirit necessary to learn useful spells.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Inferno - Sanctuary
    _Inferno - Sanctuary Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Unless I'm much mistaken, 110k spirit is quite a lot at level 33. Also, you seem to be under the impression that to get DB, you must level fire skills? Just leave crown of flames and pyroshell at level 1 for now. It won't hurt to spend a miniscule amount of money and spirit for a single level of a skill you'll use at later levels. For D Pyro, its entirely up to you, but you'll eventually need to max it if you wanna get a good sutra combo at level 59.

For the masteries, you should level them up slowly whenever you have extra money/spirit AFTER you have maxed the essential skills for your level. That way you won't be spirit-broke when you need to level up the main skills.

These are just my opinions; other wizards have different playing styles. Find out yours and level up the skills you use most. =)
    Characters:
    _Inferno 101 Arcane Sage Crit Wizard b:cool
    magnumcroft 8x Fist/Axe Blademaster b:laugh

youtube.com/magnumcroft
    ^Sanctuary's TW vids yo!
  • Sindygoboom - Sanctuary
    Sindygoboom - Sanctuary Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    As inferno said, different wizards will have different styles. I, for one, disagree with much of those priorities, but do what works for you and level the skills you find yourself relying on.

Most skills require level one of the previous skill to get. So when it says get dragon's breath, it assumes you will have level one of crown and pyroshell. The guide simply means don't level them *beyond* that first level.
  • Arma_Geddon - Heavens Tear
    Arma_Geddon - Heavens Tear Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Im new, Lv. 33 wiz at the moment, ive been following the new wiz guides you guys provide, i think i remember reading somewhere not to level the water fire earth masteries until end game?.. is this true? all i have lvled is pyro SR and gush, 1 into morning dew, stone barrier , glaciel embrace, what other skills am i safe leveling right now? i just dont wanna level anything up if i dont need it.

thanks, Josh

Also if you start to level your masteries, level earth mastery first, for sandstorm.
    The doctor will see you now.
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Here recommendation from the one of the guides:

My Wizard at level 70 had maximized all skills except Hail Storm, Frost Blade, Emberstorm.

Than start working on Hailstorm, or do you want to be completly without AoE's you can actually use?

On topic:
    For the fact that you need a skil to get another skil, you only need lvl 1 of said skil.
    Dragon's breath isn't so great at lower lvls, as being stationary while aggroing multiple mobs usually ends in your death. Don't use it, don't lvl it until later, when you have a use for it. (Rb gamma, starting around lvl 75 if you have good gear, would be the first unles you want to do RB beta)

Stone shield is a verry importent skil, keep it lvled. It increases your defences by alot, making you able to take alot more hits. Glacial embrace is good while killing when you don't need defences, as the mp regen increase will stretch your mp bar abit

The reason some guides advise not to lvl your masteries, is because you get alot more dmg increase from lvling your skils early on. Thus it is smarter to spend the little spirit/coins you have on your actual attack skils than on your masteries
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Albester - Sanctuary
    Albester - Sanctuary Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Spend some of that spirit on maxing for your level Stone Barrier. Get lvl one of those other skills cause at 39 you will want Will of Phoenix and Sandstorm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ofheaven
    edited March 2010
    Options
    thanks for all your input guys. will be working hard on him tonight once the server comes back up :D
  • Xegeth - Dreamweaver
    Xegeth - Dreamweaver Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I do not agree with many of the choices given in that guide as well. For your ability to kill mobs without getting hit, a well leveld force of will and will of the phoenix is essential.
    I would also strongly recommend to always have your stone barrier as high as possible, it increases your mages surviveability drastically.
    The next essential skill you ought to upgrade is Sandstorm, which should always be at the maximum for your level.
    For Dragon's Breath. Get lvl 1 of it and start rising it at level 70.
    It does not hurt to level your masteries, but only if you don't know what else to do with your spirit. The increase becomes much more noticeable later on. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kaneharo - Dreamweaver
    Kaneharo - Dreamweaver Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Personally, I didn't start leveling my masteries until I began doing gamma. But being a hybrid vit-int build, I rarely steal aggro. But even still, it's best to usually level them in low moderation. For now, worry about leveling skills such as your three starting attacks, Stone Barrier, and Sandstorm. Glacial Snare's pretty good as well, but isn't as nesscecary, due to it's slow casting time. Also, if and when you can, level Wellspring Quaff up to 5, as around the time you get to your 59 culti, you'll come across one of the most life-saving skills for a wiz: Essential Sutra, a well-named skill, which will more often than not save your life, whether spam-healing yourself, or someone in your squad.
    (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
    ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Pew Pew Pew!
    Quotes of Awesomeness:
    "that word, "solo". i don't think it means what you think it means." - LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Oz - Lost City
    Oz - Lost City Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    To be honest, you cant really make any mistakes with your skills. At around lvl 90, you will have so much spirit that you wont even know what to do with it. You will be able to max out ALL skills without harm.

Before that, I think you should get every skill (except passives maybe) at lvl1. You need them to learn the following ones, and having lvl1 makes you able to try them and see if you like them. If you do, go lvl them b:victory

Just an example: Divine Pyrogram might not be the best skill ever when looking at "casting time vs. damage". However, i always liked it as an "opener" skill on metal mobs, cast time dont matter there and it hits fairly hard.

As for the quoted guide, its really nice, there are just some skills I just cant agree with...

- Will of Phoenix: I dont know why you wouldnt lvl this every time you can afford. More lvl = More knockback + more damage. I use this skill on every single melee mob i fight (unless it dies before it reaches me), and even magic mobs are sometimes worth running up to and using it. I would definitely keep lvling that.

- Black Ice Dragon: No one denies its usefulness and 1-shot-ness b:laugh. Still, you mostly dont have enough spirit to lvl 3 ultis, and still need to lvl other skills. I left this at lvl1 for a long time, since Blade Tempest is so much more useful due to the physical damage...

- Stone Barrier: Always lvl. Full stop. Makes you not die. A lot...

- Glacial Snare: Your hardest hitting non-spark skill with chance for 80% movement reduction... Mobs dont like it, players dont like it, i do :)

As for the passives: It is sure worth levelling them in my opinion. The thing is: 1 lvl of a passive skill gives you 2% more damage for 1 element. I think thats just not worth doing as long as you cant get at least lvl5 and have spare spirit. Its gonna help you less than levelling your other skills.

My 2 cents, just personal experience... b:bye
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Aaa yes, glacial snare makes the mob run without really moving. I soo love the slow down :P
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris