Potting in duels acceptable no?

Comments

• MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    yep BMs and barbs use mp pots all teh time lol.
    b:chuckle
    their hp outlasts their mp.
    xD
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Neodaystar - Sanctuary
    Neodaystar - Sanctuary Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Perhaps to end this fuss, pwi can implement a new feature that allows the challenger to check off what can and can not be used in a duel when he challenges a person (hp/mp pots, apothecary pots, genie skills...etc). Then the person accepting the duel can view over in a menu screen what the dueling conditions are for that duel before initialing the duel, and the conditions that are agreed upon can be enforced by the game codes. Problem solved - everyone is happy :D
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    and...frankie eated me siggy
    ._.'

My sincerest of thanx, Lady FrankieRaye.
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I ignore it, primarily for the fact that I've been told that the following skills, techniques or gameplay mechanics are 'broken' or 'unfair' in duels at one point or another...

- Ironheart Blessing
    - Wellspring Blessing
    - Plume Shot
    - Great Cyclone
    - Wield Thunder
    - Siren's Kiss
    - Tempest
    - Sage Vanguard Spirit NEW!
    - Plume Shell
    - Silent Seal
    - Chromatic Seal
    - Wings of Protection
    - Guardian Light
    - Spark Eruption
    - Advanced Spark Eruption
    - Celestial Eruption NEW!
    - Master Li's Technique NEW!
    - Pots
    - Genie Skills
    - Comboing of skills
    - Killing of Pets
    - Tanking hits
    - Kiting
    - Running for reasons other than kiting
    - Walking
    - Flying
    - Swimming
    - Grabbing
    - Hugging
    - Kissing
    - Tickling
    - Touching
    - Displaying private body parts
    - Having too many HP
    - Having too many MP
    - Having too much Def
    - Having too much M. Def
    - Having too much MAtk
    - Other forms of buffs/debuffs
    - Face-Palming
    - Face-Rolling
    - Duck-Rolling
    - Rick-Rolling
    - Barrel-Rolling
    - Butt-Rolling
    - Face-Walling
    - Face-Desking
    - Eating tortilla chips with salsa
    - Eating tortilla chips without salsa
    - Talking during a duel
    - Not talking during a duel
    - Not starting a duel standing next to an axe BM with full chi
    - Not starting a duel within Peridition range
    - Not dying to a low-level Blade Tempest
    - Not killing myself when Soulburn is active NEW!

...I'll stop there actually. But yeah...at some point or another you'll find peeps that complain if you do anything other than sit there for about 2 minutes cross-eyed and drooling staring at your screen as they attempt to beat the hell out of you. Replies at that point are fairly pointless. b:laugh

Very little has changed since this post way back. I'll pot if I wanna...but most of the time it's just not worth it to me. Really don't care if others do either. b:laugh
  • FatherTed - Harshlands
    FatherTed - Harshlands Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Very little has changed since this post way back. I'll pot if I wanna...but most of the time it's just not worth it to me. Really don't care if others do either. b:laugh

That's why you always lose b:pleased
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    That's why you always lose b:pleased

Quite probably. But I can still kick YOUR ****, geezer. b:chuckle
  • FatherTed - Raging Tide
    FatherTed - Raging Tide Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Quite probably. But I can still kick YOUR ****, geezer. b:chuckle

Only cause I let you b:dirty

On topic - I see no reason pots shouldnt be allowed.
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    A duel is a test of skill, of how you use what resources are available to you in order do defeat your opponent. Pots, genies, and apothecaries are all resources used in combat to defeat the other person.

If you win because of using those resources to your advantage it simply means you're more prepared for a fight than the other and if they want to cry about it then ask for a rematch where you're not allowed to use them, give them a rematch and do it again.

I don't use Apoth/genies/or HP pots in duels, because I'd rather beat them with my own skill alone, the only pots I use in duels are MP, so I don't run out of mana. As for not kiting... a melee class takes out more %hp per hit on a robe then a robe does to them. You can't expect us to just sit there like some idiot holding a sign that says "hit me!". Kiting is a PvP tactic, deal with it or go white and fight PvP style, where I'll go all out with genies, apoths, and trash your sorry **** in 20 seconds.
  • FruityMelons - Heavens Tear
    FruityMelons - Heavens Tear Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    In my 60's I defeated a BM very close to my level. He got his stun off before I did and beat me up quite a bit... I then stunned him back and did some damage back to him. When we were both low on HP I used my genie skill "second wind" and finished him off.

Afterwards he asked if I potted and then asked to duel again without. I considered this a win, my girlfriend setting beside me conceded a win but wasn't exactly for using the genie skill.

Personally, I think if it's at your disposal, it's worthy of use. No rules up front is no rules up front. Period. Unless you specifically tell me no pots, heals, whatever BEFORE the challenge, then all is game.

If I accept your challenge and u say no pots during the count down... Tough I say.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    Did Goku ever use a Senzu Bean during a tournament?
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Did Goku ever use a Senzu Bean during a tournament?
    for non DBZ fans, he never did, just gave them to people like crack/used them after fights. like after budokai 23 with his fight with piccolo :p.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
    edited March 2010
    Despite the fact that I think potions should be allowed in duels, I cannot help but feel that Dragon Ball Z should somehow be relevant to this thread.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Despite the fact that I think potions should be allowed in duels, I cannot help but feel that Dragon Ball Z should somehow be relevant to this thread.
    as long as it has nothing to do with > 9000, its not going off topic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    as long as it has nothing to do with > 9000, its not going off topic.

What does the scouter say about that BM's QQ level...?

IT'S OVER 9000...!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    If we are going to use analogies to fiction, this is the attitude towards a fair fight you should have in PvP; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQluEsgdK-E
    Now dueling, and with rules on top of it, is more like this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znvxNyJLzVo&feature=related
    edited March 2010
    If we are going to use analogies to fiction, this is the attitude towards a fair fight you should have in PvP; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQluEsgdK-E
    Now dueling, and with rules on top of it, is more like this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znvxNyJLzVo&feature=related

Thanx - now I'm scarred for life.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    Thanx - now I'm scarred for life.

That song can be terrifying, i apologize. b:surrender
  • Dunes - Dreamweaver
    Dunes - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I personally never use HP pots in duels (and no MP pots either, leading me to lose a few because I forgot to check MP before the duel). I'd get a little pissed if someone else used a pot in a duel-- it is a little unfair to me, IMO, considering that I don't use pots to be 'fair', but my opponent decides, 'hey, lets use pots'.

I think the BM's issue was that he really didn't think he'd gotten a fair fight with you. Who knows, if he had used pots as well, he might have won. I think that was his mindset when he started 'QQing'. Even if it sounds a bit unreasonable on my (and his) side, if I put myself under a restriction in a duel, I expect my opponent to do the same.

But really, I'd say save the pots/charms/etc for open PvP. Duels, I think, should be more a show of gear/level/first hit/damage than the skill that open PvP sometimes needs. They both show different things.

--please don't accuse me of QQing, etc. I already said I know it sounds unreasonable. Just trying to explain... I also don't QQ like that when I get beat by someone (though I have chewed a 'friend' out who used pots in a duel, then when the opponent complained, yelled at her and called her stupid).
  • Tapion_ - Dreamweaver
    Tapion_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    What does the scouter say about that BM's QQ level...?

IT'S OVER 9000...!!!

But... it only takes a QQ level of 6000 to destroy a forumb:shocked

He needs to power down!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Boozin - Sanctuary
    Boozin - Sanctuary Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    the only pots I use in duels are MP, so I don't run out of mana.

...and the only pots I use in duals are HP so I don't run out of hit points..... ... exact same logic yes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tapion_ - Dreamweaver
    Tapion_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    ...and the only pots I use in duals are HP so I don't run out of hit points..... ... exact same logic yes?
    Exact same logic yes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear
    AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    first off i think it is allowed, i fight alot of people, mainly in fb's or bh's when i get bored. and uh cleric rule #1 u take dmg, u heal your self b:laugh. so anyway if i use pots or heal, it usually states it to the other person "oh wait, the clerics healing himself, i guess i can use my pots, genie, etc..." now ive fought a lvl 94-95 bm at 82 dont remember if i got him, but i think i was close too. i used stuns and seals to beat his health down. but if pots/heals are not allowed, why should any other skill that can help u win be that way? a bm shouldnt be able to stun, a veno make u go into frenzy, and a wiz shouldnt be able to make u sleep etc. so i find it fine to use pots
    Avatars: Name-Class-Lvl-Server-Guild-Activeness

AngelOfLies-Cleric-90 Sage-no guild-Not currently Active
    _CatGirl_-Veno-80-No Guild-Not Currently Acitve
    BlindingEdge-Seeker-6x-No Guild-Main
    DrawtheWaves-Sin-5x-No Guild-Active Alt
  • FruityMelons - Heavens Tear
    FruityMelons - Heavens Tear Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I think this is a misunderstood "rule". So many say "I don't and I expect the other person not to" or they say "It's implied" or "It's a general rule"...to paraphrase anyway...

This can't be the case. In a "world" where newcomers come everyday and they level as fast as they do, it cannot be expected that every entry is informed of the "rules" and that it's "expected" that they do or do not do something.

You cannot expect every person to follow a rule they are not bound by. Even when agreed to "no pots" or whatever, the other person may still decided to use them...agreed that it would be unfair to do so, but they are not bound by any regulation.

An expectation that all will follow a rule that doesn't exist is unfair. Clarification is the only thing you may have an expectation of. If you agree no pots then you should expect no pots and you can QQ all you want, justifiably, afterwards if pots are used by your opponent.

Skill is using available resources to accomplish your goal. If I self restrict myself then I have failed at my own skill.

Mana/HP is a tool. Your skills are a tool. Your skill is a tool. All to be used together to accomplish your goal. If you choose to not pot, heal, whatever, then you have chosen to not implement your tool to accomplish your goal.

It's foolish to expect others to follow your lead when no agreement has been made...

And keep in mind... what better victory could there be if your opponent pots/heals/whatever and still loses? Of course those who QQ about potting then use it as bragging rights... I've seen it.. "He potted and I still won. woot!" Can't have it both ways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vixre - Harshlands
    Vixre - Harshlands Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited March 2010

Bms arent allowed to stun in duels, clerics cant heal, venos cant transfuse, its serious unfair business!

Quoted for luls; love it when people complain "You healed!". I had a person to complain that i had too much HP once in a duel, therefore it was unfair. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear
    AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Quoted for luls; love it when people complain "You healed!". I had a person to complain that i had too much HP once in a duel, therefore it was unfair. b:surrender

lol i hardly get a complaint about "You healed!" i fight ppl who are usually 5+ lvls then what i am, so excuse me for healing b:laugh
    Avatars: Name-Class-Lvl-Server-Guild-Activeness

AngelOfLies-Cleric-90 Sage-no guild-Not currently Active
    _CatGirl_-Veno-80-No Guild-Not Currently Acitve
    BlindingEdge-Seeker-6x-No Guild-Main
    DrawtheWaves-Sin-5x-No Guild-Active Alt
  • Hari - Heavens Tear
    Hari - Heavens Tear Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I generally expect people not to hp pot... but I only really duel people in faction. If you use a hp pot, I might as well just bramble hood and send in nix to 1hit you. Obviously that's too easy... which is why I don't do it, and why you shouldn't hp pot.

However, there's no rule against it.
    HT clerics at their finest:

hari: can you do mdef debuffs? makes the fight go faster
    naughty_x: waste, I do more damage without them
    hari: ...you do more damage in 2 seconds than reducing mdef by 35% for 4 casters does in 20 seconds?
    naughty_x: is waste, i do more damage

hari: 3-3 BH goes a lot faster with a sin
    naughty_x: no, only a difference of like 3 minutes
    hari: ...we've been in here a lot longer than 3 minutes already
    naughty_x: your opinion
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Rule 37:

When in a duel with another player, using potions or skills to prevent them from killing you is not allowed, you must take your medicine, stand there like a good boy or girl, and die with all the proper and grandiose sound effects of gasping, and falling at the feet of the victor in a dramatic and twitching death spasm to properly enlarge their microscopic E-Peen.

~S
  • Choze - Dreamweaver
    Choze - Dreamweaver Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Short answer: If you want to be respected by PvP'ers, don't use pots.

If you for some reason get a kick out of wasting money/items for no reward other than being able to say you won...well......
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010

If you for some reason get a kick out of wasting money/items for no reward other than being able to say you won...well......

I don't think anything resembling a PvPer would give a b:fatb wether carebears pot in duels or not...
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited March 2010

Don't know about the PVPers on Dreamweaver, but here none of the PVPers care if you use or pots. In fact, they use a lot more than pots. Genie, apoth, kiting, terrain, the works. I don't know them all, I don't PVP.

You might think it's a waste to use money/items to win, but isn't this whole game a waste then? What is the ultimate reward? Nothing more than your personal enjoyment and satisfaction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]