Demon or Sage

XAdversaryx - Sanctuary
XAdversaryx - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Blademaster
What's better for PvE? I've read up on the changes for every skill and it seems to lean more to Sage for PvEness. What do you guys think?
Post edited by XAdversaryx - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    What's better for PvE? I've read up on the changes for every skill and it seems to lean more to Sage for PvEness. What do you guys think?

Personal choice, however I know far more Sage BMs that wish they would have rolled Demon than the other way around...
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    go sage...cheap books for me ^.^

but seriously go check the skills and decide for yourself imo demon is just plain better for BM's thoughb:surrender
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Nothing cheap about sage Axe+Hammer mastery or Golden Aura =/

Both sage and demon function well in PvE though. It really depends on your playstyle more than anything. If you want to have an insane DPS and attack speed or master stun locking you're probably better going demon. For easy chi and sheer survivability and consistency, probably sage.

Best bet is to first consider your budget. Learning all sage/demon skills you're talking 100's of mil, if you can't afford that, don't take the expensive skills into as much consideration when making your choice.
  • CuteLilDemon - Lost City
    CuteLilDemon - Lost City Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    either sage or demon, they both cost a lot
    I have a lvl92 bm atm w/ 1 sage skill b:surrender
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I think I got a Draw blood and Tiger maw book for about 20k from ah, but when I found out it cost 1m of both my coin and spirit, I just shoved them back in the bank =/

I have to admit to loving the free 50 chi, very handy in TW when you respawn, unless you're rich and can carry stacks of apoth. Lets you charge in with at least a few RoTP ready, or a HF at a single tea.
  • Legendadry - Harshlands
    Legendadry - Harshlands Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'd say this. If you want to PvE alot and will not go fists for your end game go sage. If you want to PvP alot and use fists for an end game or just fists in general go Demon. That's not to say you cant go fists if ur sage (sage cyclone heel not bad). Generally though most BM's go Demon because of Heavens Flame lasting 9 seconds and an extra 100% amp. Also Drakes bash stuns longer, Roar is better. But defitnly look at all the skills on ecatomb and choose whichever path works for you. Honestly both have really great advantages
    I dont level Slow I just enjoy the game b:surrender
  • unoxx
    unoxx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    You do have to consider the probability of obtaining certain skills as well. For example the ultimate skills are very expensive and you need to be lvl 99 to learn them. So ask yourself how long you will be playing and whether you are willing or able to pay 20+ million for a skill. On the other hand, the spark and chi skills are cheap if not free and effortless to get.

That being said, consider the skills, their costs and lvl requirement to estimate what skills you will actually be able to get and then decide.
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited March 2010

The real question is, "Whats better for my playing style?" And only you can answer that.b:victory
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    No, I'll tell you how you play, and you'll like it! >=O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    unoxx wrote: »
    You do have to consider the probability of obtaining certain skills as well. For example the ultimate skills are very expensive and you need to be lvl 99 to learn them. So ask yourself how long you will be playing and whether you are willing or able to pay 20+ million for a skill. On the other hand, the spark and chi skills are cheap if not free and effortless to get.

That being said, consider the skills, their costs and lvl requirement to estimate what skills you will actually be able to get and then decide.

Some are very cheap from AH, got fist 59/99 and sword 59/99 demon versions for 1 mill each. Also, just finishing cube to room 50 gives you 1 page towards a random 99 skill, and from 96+ you can get roughly 2 pages per run through to room 60. Only thing that will make it difficult nowadays, is that hyper exp means people won't take as long leveling in the 9X range to get alot of daily cube runs done.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • LuneLain - Lost City
    LuneLain - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    i keep reading about BMs saying how much greater the DPS is with Demon than with Sage.

well i have a question about that;

imagine that a same lvl and same geared Sage and Demon start base attacking -to me- it seems that the Sage will out DPS the Demon easily due to the Sage Axe/Fist Mastery. 'Cause the Demon would need a higher/better gear and weapon to get the same DPS. But like i said with the same gear the Sage has more DPS.

What i've described above is not based on my gameplay experience since im not Sage or Demon yet but just looking at the skill stats. What i would like to ask is HOW would a Demon BM out DPS a Sage BM?
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    i keep reading about BMs saying how much greater the DPS is with Demon than with Sage.

well i have a question about that;

imagine that a same lvl and same geared Sage and Demon start base attacking -to me- it seems that the Sage will out DPS the Demon easily due to the Sage Axe/Fist Mastery. 'Cause the Demon would need a higher/better gear and weapon to get the same DPS. But like i said with the same gear the Sage has more DPS.

What i've described above is not based on my gameplay experience since im not Sage or Demon yet but just looking at the skill stats. What i would like to ask is HOW would a Demon BM out DPS a Sage BM?

Sage Cyclone Heel gives you 20 seconds of 15% increase, Demon gives 20% speed increase. Hell spark also gives you 20% speed increase, Sage gives you 25% turtle...

The damage difference for Sage Mastery and Demon mastery is not in calculated or total damage per hit, it's either a 75% or 90% of base physical damage using that particular weapon. The actual damage difference is negligible... archers have caluclated the difference between Sage/Demon Bow Mastery to be about a 3% difference in total damage, which can easily be compensated for by a few points into strength or an extra refine, or higher grade garnet in your weapon. Demon mastery gives +1 crit, which you can't get as easily.

Sage buff is nicer for the duration, Demon is amazing for 15 seconds.

Sage does have a few skills which hit harder, such as Aeolian Blade which has a 180% damage bonus as opposed to the Demon which just offers 120% damage plus 1 sec quicker cooldown... Farstrike also deals more damage with Sage lvl 11...
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    The 25% attack speed buff of demon spark turns a 3.33 APS into 5 APS. This means 50% extra damage over a similarly equipped sage. Truthfully a bit more, since the sage would need to get extra chi to keep spark going, whereas a demon just hits triple spark when/before previous one wears off, for constant damage boost.

To match them, there needs to be more -interval gear added into the game like the Nirvana pants. That will allow for non-sparked 5 APS, making sage end up having a better spark. Which would be pretty jacked up all in all.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Seablue - Sanctuary
    Seablue - Sanctuary Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    The 25% attack speed buff of demon spark turns a 3.33 APS into 5 APS. This means 50% extra damage over a similarly equipped sage. Truthfully a bit more, since the sage would need to get extra chi to keep spark going, whereas a demon just hits triple spark when/before previous one wears off, for constant damage boost.

To match them, there needs to be more -interval gear added into the game like the Nirvana pants. That will allow for non-sparked 5 APS, making sage end up having a better spark. Which would be pretty jacked up all in all.

I don't know if I agree with that. Even if sage can hit 5aps, I still consider demon spark better.

If sage can get 5aps so can demon with the same gear. Due to the speed boost in demon, demon can exchange a -0.01 on his fist for some other attributes in nirvana (recast a second time) and still get 5aps. Not to mention the higher base weapon damage and higher refine grade of nirvana.

Sage won't be able to do this because they would lose the -0.1. They can only recast once and won't be able to get the grade 15 benefit. If they recast twice they will have to hope for 2 -0.05 + something better that outweights the "max hp reduction of deicide" or "3% crit and +weapon damage on striking dragon", which is kind of hard imo.

Without doubt sage will be the better tank but in terms of damage demon will still be better. If you can get 5aps, you probably have godly gear and +10 on everything. So you can probably tank tank 99% of the bosses at this point anyway.

Still with the nirvana leg, the dps difference of sage and demon will kind of even out alot.