Cleric - Sage or Demon?

Ripfang - Harshlands
Ripfang - Harshlands Posts: 31 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Cleric
Hey there guys, im making my main character my cleric now, and i wanted to know when the time comes whether i should pick Sage or Demon. Im interested to know which is better for pvp and which is better for pve etc...i looked up the skills on ecatomb and im sad to say i cant make up my mind about which is better at which! So please help,

Rippy
Post edited by Ripfang - Harshlands on

Comments

• MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Read through this and then decide.Both are good for PvP.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=598561
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Ripfang - Harshlands
    edited February 2010
    well if i went sage...i wouldnt be rejected in pvp would i? if sage is better for the support role i should PROBABLY go sage...b:puzzled
  • Aya__ - Heavens Tear
    Aya__ - Heavens Tear Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    well if i went sage...i wouldnt be rejected in pvp would i? if sage is better for the support role i should PROBABLY go sage...b:puzzled

if you read carefully youd have seen cleric is very balanced for both pvp and pve
    and im pretty sure good player wont be 'rejected' o.O
    even on pve server, supposedly more friendly for sage clerics and for sure having more sages i do know few demon ones and they are very good and sought upon, regardless if their choice wasnt the typical one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ripfang - Harshlands
    edited February 2010
    oh gosh sorry i didnt read that very well! oops! im leaning towards demon now, coz im on a pvp server...and ive been told demons are better at TW

Forgot to say there that im probably going to pk or pk pkers (whichever my friends decide to do)
  • steelmyth
    steelmyth Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Sage is better for tw and group pvp, demon is better for 1v1 and pve.
  • Jette - Lost City
    Jette - Lost City Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    idk....I kind of like being demon in tw....much easier to purify when you don't need chi xD, also some of the lvl 99 demon skills are really nice
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    idk....I kind of like being demon in tw....much easier to purify when you don't need chi xD, also some of the lvl 99 demon skills are really nice

In the same vein though, it costs less chi than the sage chi skill, so it's not like we're going to have much trouble getting that chi b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Romeoblb - Raging Tide
    Romeoblb - Raging Tide Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Doesn't the demon version of IH recover more MP than it takes to cast? If so, that would b enough reason for me. XD
  • Rillien - Heavens Tear
    Rillien - Heavens Tear Posts: 569 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    ^^Nope, I think the net mp loss is about 100 (takes around 400 to cast, recover 300). Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's been said around here.

However, both sage Spirit Gift and demon Celestial Guardian Seal recover 900 mp over 15 seconds, which is more than the mana cost (~550 for both) and you'd be able to recover mana by spamming these on yourself.

So both sides have that ability.

Demon IH is useful though.
  • WyldeCleric - Harshlands
    WyldeCleric - Harshlands Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Hey there guys, im making my main character my cleric now, and i wanted to know when the time comes whether i should pick Sage or Demon. Im interested to know which is better for pvp and which is better for pve etc...i looked up the skills on ecatomb and im sad to say i cant make up my mind about which is better at which! So please help,

Rippy

Hey Rippy... I also had the same question. I read forums alot as well as talked to alot of Clerics in game about Sage or Demon.I also read and studied both Skills. I am going Sage for the TW abilities. Sage Cleric have to ability to "heal" cattas, which is a big plus. If I was was more interested in PvP then I would probably go Demon. Just My Thoughts. Good Luck on your Cleric and whatever path you decide to go...b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WyldeCleric Kick Your ****
    WyldeCleric Kick Your Face
    WyldeCleric kick Your Ballz Into OuterSpace b:bye

To My Wonderful Husband...xPENETRATORx I Love you Babes..Thank You for an awesome Signature!b:kiss
  • Ripfang - Harshlands
    edited March 2010
    Ok thanks for all the info guys...i've decided im gonna go Demon, doing out the skills i would be using at that level, and comparing Sage and Demon versions, i came to the conclusion that 85% of the skills i was gonna use most i preferred as Demon...so yeah!
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Ok thanks for all the info guys...i've decided im gonna go Demon, doing out the skills i would be using at that level, and comparing Sage and Demon versions, i came to the conclusion that 85% of the skills i was gonna use most i preferred as Demon...so yeah!
    also keep in mind which one of the demon/sage skill bonus can be replaced by gear as you get more and more
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    LOL. Sage clerics do just fine in pvp. What you should honestly do is actually play the cleric -- you haven't said what level this is other than given implications you are just starting it -- which is way too soon to tell. Too often people provide generalizations about why sage or demon are better in certain areas and in most cases (especially with a cleric) they are incorrect. Play your cleric until 89, then compare the bonuses as they are used in game and which you prefer, make a checklist on each skill for sage or demon, then count your marks for sage or demon in the end and that might help you decide. It should normally be a difficult choice.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    LOL. Sage clerics do just fine in pvp. What you should honestly do is actually play the cleric -- you haven't said what level this is other than given implications you are just starting it -- which is way too soon to tell. Too often people provide generalizations about why sage or demon are better in certain areas and in most cases (especially with a cleric) they are incorrect. Play your cleric until 89, then compare the bonuses as they are used in game and which you prefer, make a checklist on each skill for sage or demon, then count your marks for sage or demon in the end and that might help you decide. It should normally be a difficult choice.

I was dead-set on demon until about 86, then flipped to sage b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Shealu - Heavens Tear
    Shealu - Heavens Tear Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Both side are good for pvp, demon just deal big dmg in one hit, when sage will deal the same amount of dmg with multiple quick hit.
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Personally I think demon is better in both pve and pvp! b:chuckle

For pve in terms of DD demon wield thunder/cyclone/plumeshot overall will do more damage than sage. Add to this the 150% magic attack bonus with spirits gift and the difference becomes significant.

As support cleric fast res, zero chi purify is good. Sage can boast more HP from IH but with spirits gift buff you can get even more.

For pvp the benefits of demon are also clear.

I'm not saying demon is hugely better than sage but imo overall the demon skills edge it. ^^
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • Nasume - Lost City
    Nasume - Lost City Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Both side are good for pvp, demon just deal big dmg in one hit, when sage will deal the same amount of dmg with multiple quick hit.

b:chuckle wrong
    sage cyclone does nothing much, and plume shot you can say it deals more than hell version but end game plume shot is pretty much useless.
    and no need to explain about thunderwield, obvious which one is better
    as for metal mastery i would say sage is a little better, but demon isnt bad with 2% more crit
    and one more thing about pve/pvp
    hell stream can recover mass amount of hp + 100% more phys res while if you're sage you need to stream + vanguard to give the same bonus(although with 25% chi)
    edited March 2010
    metal mastery

Demon version increases critical hit rate by 2%.
    -2% crit i can buy in the AH without sacrificing any good stats

Sage version always increases Metal magic damage by 25%.
    -i cant buy that unless i waste some useful stats
    -increase in metal magic dmg also applies to other metal dmg that demon is 'suppose' to be superior like cyclone.(lol@600 dmg)
    -minimizes difference with demon Wield Thunder
    -unlike a buyable 2% crit this dmg increase will work for every metal dmg 24/7, not just once every so often
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Nasume - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    metal mastery

-increase in metal magic dmg also applies to other metal dmg that demon is 'suppose' to be superior like cyclone.(lol@600 dmg)
    -unlike a buyable 2% crit this dmg increase will work for every metal dmg 24/7, not just once every so often

dont you forget hell spirit gift
    edited March 2010
    what kind of 'tard is gonna cast that every. single. time. they use a metal spell especially. Thats like saying sage should spam Vanguard Spirit after every IH for the 100% defence increase. You see someone do that only once every blue moon cause its useful but not efficient.
  • Nasume - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    what kind of 'tard is gonna cast that every. single. time. they use a metal spell especially. Thats like saying sage should spam Vanguard Spirit after every IH for the 100% defence increase. You see someone do that only once every blue moon cause its useful but not efficient.

obvious that you havent pk as much
    i did sleep, debuff, spirit gift, thunder(genie amp + matk charm) work pretty well
    edited March 2010
    obvious that you havent pk as much
    i did sleep, debuff, spirit gift, thunder(genie amp + matk charm) work pretty well
    yeah only when your not near ganked. what is that a carebear fight 1v1?
  • Nasume - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    yeah only when your not near ganked. what is that a carebear fight 1v1?

even in mass pvp you can still use it
    just gotta look at your surrounding if it's safe to use.
    and normally in mass pvp, *insert amount of people* gank 1 person so dont actually need to use it.
    edited March 2010
    even in mass pvp you can still use it
    just gotta look at your surrounding if it's safe to use.
    and normally in mass pvp, *insert amount of people* gank 1 person so dont actually need to use it.
    usually ends up being the cleric >>;
  • Nasume - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    usually ends up being the cleric >>;

b:laugh true
    but if you're aware you'll always be the first target out of all, then domain, 12 sec immune or do whatever you feel that'll keep you alive, and kite :p
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    metal mastery

What Des says is right- you can buy crit easily as opposed to increased metal damage.... but thats not the whole story. The 5% increase in metal damage is useful as it works for every metal damage attack like you said... but realistically thats only wield thunder and cyclone which are the ones used most often.

That fact of the matter is however that demon wield thunder followed by cyclone will do more damage than sage wield thunder and cyclone despite the higher metal damage of sage metal mastery. The 30% metal resistance debuff from demon wield thunder means that the additional damage from cyclone more than compensates for the 5% lower metal damage of both attacks- and this is before taking account of the extra 600 damage bonus or even the 2% extra crit.

No i use it quite often- its really useful in group pvp. You dont have to cast it before every single attack- its a 10 second buff and pretty fast to cast too. Once you get into a habit of using it, it can make a big difference- plus it allows you to save your sparks.

Which reminds me- demon triple spark > sage triple spark! b:chuckle
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • Sheyde - Sanctuary
    Sheyde - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I heard that Sage increases healing power and Demon increases attack, dont sue me im not sure, im going Sage.