Potting in duels acceptable no?

Haxxz - Harshlands
Haxxz - Harshlands Posts: 45 Arc User
edited March 2010 in General Discussion
So today I encountered a BM who I PvP'd with a 3x, he used to have the levels on me and think he was amazing when he rolled my **** but now I caught up I wanted a rematch. He was hiding in SZ near South Arch and when I requested he came out for 1 v 1 he said he didn't and would only duel, I agree'd and we dueled. During the duel my stun arrow wasn't working (damn 65% to stun ><) and I got hit a few times so I potted. After the duel he was really QQing that using potions isn't allowed in duels.

He said among other things: "u used pots ask any one in ur faction if it is allowed, i really hate people who don't know what is a duel."
To that I replied that in duels you use what you can to win (just like open PvP), the only thing you can't use are charms which are literally disabled in duels.

So what's the opinion here, potting in duels okay?
Post edited by Haxxz - Harshlands on

Comments

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    No definite rules. Confirm with opponent what is allowed and whats not beforehand.

/thread. But generally, no hp pots with most people.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Whatever's agreed on before the duel is fine. Some people don't use pots/genie skills, some do. Although it seems if you were trying to use it as a substitute for open PvP (lol...), pots would be fine.

Personally I don't see the point of potting in a duel. Kind of a waste.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Gasoline - Lost City
    Gasoline - Lost City Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Everything is allowed in duels: pvp-pots, hp/mp pots, attack charm and genies.

Anything to win b:victory

Just charms that wont work >.<

Obviously it does depend on what you decided before the duel started, if you actually said "no pots" for example you should not pot.

But in most cases duels are rather random invites and there are no rules saying you cant use this or that. Anything you actually can use should be used to win imo.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    theres no written rules, people just like to handicap you as much as possible to win
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Mystic-Night - Heavens Tear
    Mystic-Night - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    You do what you want..I would pot just to **** off the other person if it didnt cost me money :P

Bms arent allowed to stun in duels, clerics cant heal, venos cant transfuse, its serious unfair business!
  • Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
    Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    theres no written rules, people just like to handicap you as much as possible to win
    ^^ This

If the game desingers wanted you to not use pots it's an easy thing to code (like not ticking HP charm until after battle for the loser). Subsequently, use whatever you can to win UNLESS someone set down conditions up front (e.g., no pots and/or no genies). I tend to agree with WaffleChan that while it is often the case that people expect you not to use pots/genies, it's because they're pretty sure they would lose if they did it and you did it, so they try to handicap you by making you think "it's not allowed... ask anyone"

lulz
  • Haxxz - Harshlands
    Haxxz - Harshlands Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Although it seems if you were trying to use it as a substitute for open PvP (lol...),

I wanted to open PvP but he was scared to leave SZ because he had a couple hours red name >.>

And prior to the duel we agree'd on nothing, it was simply 'Some guy has challenged you to a duel, Yes, Haxxz has defeated some guy, QQing.'
  • Gasoline - Lost City
    Gasoline - Lost City Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    And those damn wizards sure wont risk running out of mp in duels with wellspring quaff and 60% more mana pool b:scorn

While a clerics will be pretty handicapped after 3-4 heals and spells if mp-pots aren't allowed. And they would never be able to use plume shield in a duel if they couldn't pot.

Higher lvl players dueling 99+ its always an orgy in genie skills and apothecary pots and event pots - anything to avoid loosing.

Lower lvl players random dueling tho like lvl 30-70, you will in many cases be called a nub or a cheater if you use a single pot lol.
  • Tapion_ - Dreamweaver
    Tapion_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Whatever the game allows. Pots are allowed, so are genies, use whatever is at your disposal, however, as the game doesn't allow it, you cannot use a charm in duels.

If the game lets you press the button, by all means press it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dionysus007
    dionysus007 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    If you want to pot but are afriad of real pk then go to the arena. That's why it's there.

Granted, there are no rules. However, the generally accepted conditions for a duel are no pots or pills. Skill and genie skill as you wish.
  • Trueazaril - Lost City
    Trueazaril - Lost City Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    i always thought it was selfexplanatory not to use pots in a duel, its wht everyone does i thought
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tapion_ - Dreamweaver
    Tapion_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    If you want to pot but are afriad of real pk then go to the arena. That's why it's there.

Granted, there are no rules. However, the generally accepted conditions for a duel are no pots or pills. Skill and genie skill as you wish.
    But... the arena is still broken... isn't it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gaijen - Sanctuary
    Gaijen - Sanctuary Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I was always told that skills are fine - HP pots/food/whatever are not. You are dueling to see who is the most skillful at playing their character/class, not who can pot the best/most. In a duel, I can agree with this logic. In PVP, where losing has actual consequences, anything goes as far as I am concerned.

Genie is kind of a grey area with a lot of people, especially those who were around before their introduction. Some people consider them an extension of your abilities - others do not.

I suppose if it matters that much what others think of you, set the rules in advance and then be honorable to follow them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good for anything, but you can't help but smile when you see one falling down stairs. b:chuckle

Helpdesk: Double click on "My Computer"
    User: I can't see your computer.
    Helpdesk: No, double click on "My Computer" on your computer.
    User: Huh?
    Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
    User: What's your computer doing on mine?
  • Kyourimaru - Lost City
    Kyourimaru - Lost City Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    As said there are no 'proper' rules for it, but i personally take a duel under the aspect of no pots or genies, unless stated otherwise.

Edit: These forums are slow aren't they o.O been 85 for days now
  • Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear
    Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Do what you like. Personally i cant see the point of wasting genie stamina and pots in an action that at the end of the day is pointless.

Beat me in a duel.. gratz .. go stroke ya e-peen for 5 mins but duels mean nothing
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Agreed, do what you like in a duel. Its a great time to test combos and such. As for potting, its whatever, people just like to QQ about the small things.

I usually use MP pots in duels if they carry on too long because I have so little MP.b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Duels are supposed to be a safe method of emulating PVP w/o the possible risks associated with PVP. This means, anything goes in a duel, just like in PVP.

The ones who QQ about not using pots etc in duels are just trying to hamper you as best they can so they are more likely to get a win out of it.

I say laugh at them, tell them 'A win is a win, QQ Moar' then tell them to **** off.

~S
  • Vivre - Harshlands
    Vivre - Harshlands Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I tend to go with no pots except mana, genie OK. Reason: hp potting and apoth makes a duel last overly long and ends up being a waste of resources for both sides. Genie skills are limited by vitality and running out of mana while fighting is really really lame for both sides.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What is this 'res' you speak of? b:cute
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    The no pot rules is a hold-over from the early days, when most people were too cheap to lvl their crafting skills up. As such, they didn't have easy access to pots, and sought to penalize anyone who actually put the effort into them. It's why I stuck to normal PvP as much as possible, dueling without going all out is an utter waste of time.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Do what you like. Personally i cant see the point of wasting genie stamina and pots in an action that at the end of the day is pointless.

Beat me in a duel.. gratz .. go stroke ya e-peen for 5 mins but duels mean nothing

what do you think people do at end game? after getting all teh good gear? and when killing computer controlled mobs become boring?
    xD

and...frankie eated me siggy
    ._.'
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'll hp/mp pot if I want to or if I see the other person do it. I usually don't... I may or may not use my genie. I won't waste PK pots though, that's just stupid.

I always try something new, but usually just sit there and watch what combos you pull. I don't care if I win or lose a draw. I'd rather be underestimated when met outside of sz. lol
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    The general consensus is that potting, genie-ing and anything else-ing is apparently, not allowed in a duel.

The fact of the matter is though this is some bullcrap "Where is your honour?!" idea that some fools thought up a while ago when they decided to duel one day. The idea seems to have stuck around, which... is just kind of stupid.

Best thing to do is not just randomly duel somebody and pot hoping they won't mind (people have eagle eyes for these "dishonourable" things that you shouldn't do) is to ask what they do and don't accept in duels. Then you don't tread on anybody's feet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alliptica - Raging Tide
    Alliptica - Raging Tide Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    i always hear people saying, you potted, nub! and now i read this, its pretty funny b:laugh
    -retired-

now playing megaten and...Forsaken World ;)
  • Saida - Raging Tide
    Saida - Raging Tide Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Personally, I think pots shouldn't be used in duels. I was under the impression that the entire point of a duel was to see who could use their own skills more effectively, without the help of outside factors. During PvP, when there are actually consequences for dying, potting is fine and often necessary. However, I'm personally not going to waste pots on something so tame as a duel...and if I don't use pots, I don't want my opponent to be using them either.

I do think it's silly, though, when people tell Clerics not to heal during duels and such. That's like telling a player to reroll just so you can beat him. >.>;

No, there is no rule against potting during duels. It's just my personal opinion that players shouldn't do it, and it is courteous to ask for a person's preference before you duel.
  • AinaMizuako - Sanctuary
    AinaMizuako - Sanctuary Posts: 1,041 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Pots aren't allowed but the cleric I'm dueling can spam heal all he wants? Nty.

I use any and all methods to get a win out of my duel. Genies, pots, self heal, whatever. I don't care if you QQ about it or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    oh look, i'm inactive again.

b> leviciti b:cry
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited February 2010

I use any and all methods to get a win out of my duel. Genies, pots, self heal, whatever. I don't care if you QQ about it or not.

as a veno killing a cleric (without yourself potting) is easy. They can spam all they want, they still gonna die.

I dont use pots in duels unless the other person does to save their sorry butts. But i come from the old school of "only class skills allowed". These were the same commonly practiced rules of other games i play and forever will be the way i duel. PK, anything goes.
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    While i'll admit dueling can be fun on ocassion, and sometimes even somewhat good practice, i'm afraid i'll have to continue hammering a point which should have been made absolutely clear by now.

DUELS ARE NOT PVP.

Anyone claiming bragging rights for defeating someone in a duel will be ignored and rightly so. It means absolutely nothing. So, go ahead and pot and use your genie, who cares if the other guy will qq, it's pathetic. There's a BM in my faction that loves dueling. He insists robes should not kite and calls it a "cowardly" practice. This is a "common" practice in duels; melees demanding that robes should start at a certain distance and not "run" away. Are they freaking serious? More than 90% of duels i'm involved in end up with the other guy complaining anyway. I shouldn't have purged or pet is an unfair advantage or they were out of chi or i started before they did or i shouldn't have stunned or reflect actually means they won cuz they hit so hard...

Really, it would be nice to duel if it didn't lead to a stupid comment that makes you wish they were white named. So pot to your heart's content, if someone is dumb enough to qq about it let them rage. Anyone who takes duels seriously is fail and deserves it...
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Lotsa text about duels

Generally, I agree.

A lot of people are finding everything under the sun to complain about these days when it comes to a duel. A duel doesn't follow PK by principle because you cannot use charms. This means it doesn't take as much effort to kill somebody in a duel - bragging rights aren't needed because a duel is only for fun. If you're taking a duel seriously and actually care about whether people pot, genie, kite or not, you might want to take a step back.

Treating a duel like PvP isn't going to work when you consider it's a lot easier to "kill" somebody in a duel. That and... you know, you can't die anyway.

However, to say that you aren't allowed to pot or genie is foolish. Pots and genies were made for you to use in a situation where they would come in handy - not just "anywhere but a duel". Originally, duels were a test of class skill, but I hate to point out... knowing when to pot or use a genie can be a skill in itself. ToP at the wrong time and you can die, for example. Pot too late and it won't save your life because it's not restoring the HP on time.

Take your honour elsewhere please. If I want to pot, then I will pot, and there is nothing you can do about it. Don't like it? Well, don't duel me again then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited March 2010

Healing is a skill, and a very important one. Healing doesn't make you invincible, you can sleep/stun to interrupt the healing stack, then DD them to death. Or just interrupt their heals. Besides, when you're healing you can't attack, debuff, etc. Without it clerics are just underpowered wizzies.
    the entire point of a duel was to see who could use their own skills more effectively, without the help of outside factors.

QFT.

EDIT: I shouldn't say that I'm against potting in duels, just that you should establish this with the opponent first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • ArchAngel - Dreamweaver
    ArchAngel - Dreamweaver Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    lmao.. how do arcane users fight without mana? b:chuckle

MP pots should be fine, not others though.