Does it get better?(low level wizard)

Options
Seikosys - Sanctuary
Seikosys - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Wizard
Hello. I hit 15 and have been having issues with wizard. Since i am new id like to know if im doing something wrong. My current predicament is im having to sit and meditate after almost every pull to regain HP. Im also wearing the highest level fire shield i can get. Im a pure build(1 str,9mag/2lvls).

I have around 380 HP and am ending 1 fight with 130 hp left.

My rotation usually consists of starting with Gush > Stone rain > Pyrogram.

I am new so i dont have exceptional gear.

On some quests im dying 6 times(catopods grrr)

(edit)Also, after casting my rotation, i sit there and take the hits while casting trying to kill it asap. Should i be kiting?

I just noticed the mobs im fighting right now for the quest are 1 lvl higher than me, idk if thats a huge issue or not.

Anyways, any advice would be appreciated, i dont want to give up on wizard cause i really like it but atm the speed is unbearable >.<! Thanks for help!
Post edited by Seikosys - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Belheldar - Harshlands
    Belheldar - Harshlands Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    First off you defianetly need to kite. A wizard is not meant to take hits, escpecially not a pure mag. one. Also on your spell rotations, only use sstone rain to start against the mobs, foollowed by gush and pyro alternations. SR has a very long cast/channel time so casting it midbattle will cause you to take more hits than normal. Lastly the low levels of a wiz are very hard so its not just you, keep playing it and dont give up.
  • Seikosys - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thanks for the fast reply, and the advice!

(edit) I switched my rotation around as you said stone rain first > gush > kite a bit back > pyrogram and its working much better.
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Also don't use fire shield.
    1.Maxim. and use stone barrier.
    2. Go LA(light armor) not pure then restat at lv. 90.
    3. Remember, that wizard is VERY hard to play till lv. 80+. I died 1M times and I was pure from beginning. It's price, for we became the most powerful class at the end. So deal with very often dieing.

Now I don't have to run away from any mobs even lv. 105. He never reach me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Galox - Heavens Tear
    Galox - Heavens Tear Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Hello. I hit 15 and have been having issues with wizard. Since i am new id like to know if im doing something wrong. My current predicament is im having to sit and meditate after almost every pull to regain HP. Im also wearing the highest level fire shield i can get. Im a pure build(1 str,9mag/2lvls).

:/

Try getting the Stone Barrier and maxing that out. Most mobs below 60 use Physical attacks, so you absolutely NEED the Physical Defence.

And err, I thought it got easier after 60, but I think it gets HARDER after 60 ^^ (Since the mobs start using Mag. I know it dont hit as hard as the Phys, but makes you unable to kite them properly. 1 hit from a level 62 Tauroc gets me to 3/4 HP. Yes, I am LA, so the mag hits me harder, but the point still stands...)

All I've heard is that 90+ it gets better. 99+ Even better than that. But getting there is a pain...

gl with your wiz :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] b:victory
  • Seikosys - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    3. Remember, that wizard is VERY hard to play till lv. 80+. I died 1M times and I was pure from beginning. It's price, for we became the most powerful class at the end. So deal with very often dieing.

i was using fire shield to try to balance it out since MP wasnt a issue, my pathetic hp was. Id prefer to use water shield, is stone really that big? I havent even upgraded it past lvl 1 cause i thought it was a PVP skill.

Id prefer not to go LA at all. I really like being pure. I just need to figure out what im doing wrong and improve on it. The rotation and kiting was 2 big things i was messing up on

Thanks for the advice! Almost lvl 17! not giving up!
    edited February 2010
    Options
    i was using fire shield to try to balance it out since MP wasnt a issue, my pathetic hp was. Id prefer to use water shield, is stone really that big? I havent even upgraded it past lvl 1 cause i thought it was a PVP skill.

Id prefer not to go LA at all. I really like being pure. I just need to figure out what im doing wrong and improve on it. The rotation and kiting was 2 big things i was messing up on

Thanks for the advice! Almost lvl 17! not giving up!

You need stone barrier as soon as possible. It's not just about HP. It also about how strong protection you have. Without stone barrier is your p.def VERY low so the mobs hits you much harder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zoomg - Harshlands
    Zoomg - Harshlands Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    here is a small list of things i found helpfull at those lvls o.o

1. gush and pyrogram should be your only attack skills. use the rest of your spirit to lvl your genie and mana/pdef shield

2. your attack should only consist of gush > pyro > repeat most mobs die after 3-4hits and if they dont you got plenty of time to kite

3. upgrade your apo skill. low herbs are easy to get and the pots got very beneficial effetcs. you can get life powder with lvl1 apo (hp regen +50, GG pyro shieldb:bye)
  • Seikosys - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    K, im dont playing for now, but when i get back on im gonna max stone barrier to the highest and see how that goes for a bit. Even more thanks for all the helpful replies =]
    edited February 2010
    Options
    K, im dont playing for now, but when i get back on im gonna max stone barrier to the highest and see how that goes for a bit. Even more thanks for all the helpful replies =]

Don't expect miracles but it help. But you still will need apothecary. In global is playing wizard very hard at low levels and hard till lv. 90+.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kaneharo - Dreamweaver
    Kaneharo - Dreamweaver Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Just focus on Stone Barrier, and your three main attack skills for now. You'll eventually need Stone Rain for when your kiting gets more advanced, and for DD situations, as your Earth skills hit strongly enough, yet have a slow enough attack rate that you shouldn't catch too much aggro if used properly. Also, although it may be based upon opinion, don't really get Hailstorm... it's basically an AoE with little range, and the last thing you should be doing at that level is fighting multiple mobs at once.
    (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
    ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Pew Pew Pew!
    Quotes of Awesomeness:
    "that word, "solo". i don't think it means what you think it means." - LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Exitium - Dreamweaver
    Exitium - Dreamweaver Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You should also get Distance shrink as soon as possible (I think its at lvl 29 tho), it saves my life hourly. At 60 it got easier for me because that when I learned Force of will and combined with distance shrink, if im not lazy, i can grind without ever getting hit.
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    About fire shield, in combat your hp regen is reduced by 25%. So from that 10 extra hp/sec (if lvl 10, which you don't even have), only 2.5hp/sec remains. That's nothing, and won't keep you alive.

Stone shield will increase your phys def, reducing the dmg you take each hit, thus making you survive longer. Also if you need to, you should use some hp pots. Best time to use them is, if you see you will take some hits during the fight, or if you want to regen hp fast for the next kill. Remember hp pots take some time to take effect, so don't take them at the verry last moment or you'll die anyway.

Also verry importent, apothecery. Go far some golden herb and nectar, and make a nice stack of life powders. They increase your hp regen by 50/sec for 10 mins. After you've taken one, you'll almost never have to worry about having to meditate for hp, as you'll regen in a matter of seconds.

There is however a waay better way to keep you alive, and that is kiting. As you are using arcane armor, your phys def is ****, even with stone shield on (stone shield alone just makes it abit less ****). You are not suposed to take hits, that's a blademaster's job (in the humans).
    Start with stone rain, gush, pyro if you feel the mob is still far away enough (you'll learn to see when you need to run and when you can still cast a spel eventually), than gush and run back till gush is ready to use again, than gush again, pyro to finish of if needed.
    If you are kiting, use gush, run back, and gush again when available. This way you keep the mob slowed at all times (again at later lvls, low lvl gush is not so relaiable to slow, but lvl 10 gush will just about slow always)

Another importent thing is, you have 3 elements to attack with. This means you are strong against 3 elements. Don't use pyro against a fire mob, and don't use stone rain against an earth mob, because a mob has higher ress against the element he is himself (gush against a water mob is good though, just because of the slow)
    In the same isue, use stone rain against a water mob, gush against a fire mob, and pyro against a metal mob. Later on you'll learn more skils of each element, and you will be able simply rotate between only the element of the mobs weakness (ofcours with gush to slow down)

I think that should cover most of it lol
    Also importent, read the sticky guides. They help alot on which skils to get and which not to get, and how to use them (and the rest)

EDIT: on your title:
    Yes, it gets alot better later on. There are verry few melee mobs that can actually reach me before they die (sometimes I don't even have to kite), and later on there are alot of magic mobs that you can laugh at while taking the hits, because of your massive mag def (even bigger in 3/5 elements cause of your shields).
    Only problems are archer mobs, which are hard to kite
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

Now I don't have to run away from any mobs even lv. 105. He never reach me.

i am pure mag since lv1 and i wear most of time water barrier(exclude against archer mobs) and i dont died a billion time (i dont used any charm and apocary pot and allways i got more potion than used) exclude if we count when i afked in out of safe zone b:laugh

i am not pro but i lv ur skill and pay attention what skill in what order makes more effect than dont hard the wizz.

i dont got nothing hard in wizz only was boring the often heal and meditate in begning.

idk but after 39 was cool with phoenix+distance shrink, i dont really got problem with melee mobs or magic, my only problem was the archer mobs, they hited enough hard b:surrender

(i dont really run away from lv106 mob when i was 92 too, dont need with **** eq too they hit low in demon world, phoenix/fow and dont need kite, that 2hit what i got dont really too huge dmg)
    edited February 2010
    Options

(i dont really run away from lv106 mob when i was 92 too, dont need with **** eq too they hit low in demon world, phoenix/fow and dont need kite, that 2hit what i got dont really too huge dmg)

See? Difference is that I'm not hitted by these mobs. Not even once.
    Sage phoenix and fow guarantee not be hitten any melee mobs anymore. And I don't have to move.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Sage phoenix and fow guarantee not be hitten any melee mobs anymore. And I don't have to move.

difference i not even waste the time to kite XD

i dont got sage phoenix yet but why i must kite if they dont do 30% dmg on me with 2 hit?

if i want i dont get hit too but its slower XD

(i farm in demon world only mats for wine to bh99 so i dont waste the time for kite or mana for sleep)
    edited February 2010
    Options
    difference i not even waste the time to kite XD

i dont got sage phoenix yet but why i must kite if they dont do 30% dmg on me with 2 hit?

if i want i dont get hit too but its slower XD

(i farm in demon world only mats for wine to bh99 so i dont waste the time for kite or mana for sleep)

Are you already lv. 99? I'm also gathering mats there for my 99 cultivation. I need 3-4 day more.b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Are you already lv. 99? I'm also gathering mats there for my 99 cultivation. I need 3-4 day more.b:victory

still no, i dont rush with lving, i do only daily flying quest+stone quest and i farm card boss for crit shoes since in my server no anniversary pack :/
    ok i collecting my lv92/99 skills to but i got bad luck and got few gs and now ms.
    same time i farm mats for 99 wines and when i say i farm then i think dailiy 2-4wine and i was on 50+ bh99 run only for cape and skills so max 40min each time XD

(i am absolute non cash shop user anyway)
    edited February 2010
    Options

I can do that with only lvl 10 phoenix, don't even need FoW :P
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I can do that with only lvl 10 phoenix, don't even need FoW :P

Mobs lv. 105+? Then you are good and you have my gratz.b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Mobs lv. 105+? Then you are good and you have my gratz.b:victory

Eehm, that's no comparison. But yea, I can with mobs lvl 88+ atleast. Not tried above that yet
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Who fights lvl 105+ mobs? b:shocked
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    Options

Probably nobody. I just tried. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • __Hysteria__ - Harshlands
    __Hysteria__ - Harshlands Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    learn to kite and try to get gear with hp mods, im a pure wiz 1 str 9 magic and at lvl 42 ive died 4 times all game so far and 3 of those were me bein stupid so yeah.......
    4x Wizard - Marshal of the faction Sacreds
  • Darkness_Mag - Dreamweaver
    Darkness_Mag - Dreamweaver Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    lol i never had problmes with any mobs died 1 time at my lvl 1-20 lol idk wtf you talking about stone shield never used it and i survived to lvl 46(had a wizzy of that lvl HAD)lol i do rain>gush>pyro(most time mobs are dead bye this if not 1 moor gush) and i done pure i kild all dam foes withuit even dieing once(midnigth jakaporides are hard but i did then solo and kild them withuit dieing once ONCE ITELL YOU) lol just move away when mob gets to close and kil rang mobs befor the hit in rang(atlist if want to stay alive get your ash uit of aggro rang and cast) rain gush pyro iice shield MAX LVL ALL TIMES dont care about hp ther is secend wind ToP and pot lol i atlist know how to dam keep foes dead befor the hit me b:laugh lol i grinded with db solo on vipions in sky above etherblade lol idk whhat you ppl talk about but dont nead stone shield just us ice and make sure your at max rang of stone rain(always lower til you max it then its 28-29 meters (29 cant rembmers for sure) if got the money to buy charms do it (mp chamrs die fast then get alot of thos and less of hp) saves alot of pot (lol pot dont work at all us med isnted pot is back up if enad mp whil kiling mobs and nearly uit) thats how i work and and it dont hurt to try it lol that you guys think good def is good def dats not wizard motto GOOD DEF IS GOOD OFFENCE lol thats how they work then gl youg wizzards trying to get yuor life in games

happy hunting
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    edited March 2010
    Options

i... i hate when they block the way to my mat's what i need for wine to bh99 b:surrender
    lol i never had problmes with any mobs died 1 time at my lvl 1-20 lol idk wtf you talking about stone shield never used it

i used only against archer mobs. mainly i used water for mana regen
    edited March 2010
    Options

Actually yesterday cultivation quest required kill 40 lv.106 mobs in hell area. They where water mobs so they did damage to me like 270 b:laugh They were range mobs so I got 1 hit but it was really easy.
    Not big deal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KevinK - Sanctuary
    KevinK - Sanctuary Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    For starting wizards, contrary to what others say, most of the time you should start with pyrogram, then gush. pyro>gush>pyro>gush. Usually that's enough to finish off the monsters before they get to you.
    The reason why I go against stone rain in the beginning is because after you cast stone rain, the monster immediatly comes toward you, whereas if you cast pyro, theres a damage delay to give you time to cast gush to slow the monster down. What i mean is, if you start with pyrogram, by the time the pyrogram hits, your gush would already be slowing the monster down. This allows you to kill the monsters before they reach you. If you were to cast stone rain, there would not be a damage delay, and the monsters would immediately come towards you WHILE you channel gush.

Also you generally don't want to start with gush, because the slow effect of gush acts on the monster BEFORE you finish casting gush. That makes the monster run towards you WHILE you're casting gush, giving it a 1 second head start. Typically this gives monsters at least 1 shot at you before you kill it.

Pyrogram>gush>pyrogram>gush is the general method to kill monsters. Depending on the monster's hp, you can do pyrogram>gush>stone rain. Just think of the combination that would finish off the monsters the fastest.