How much would you pay a cleric for helping out in a BH?

Ingway - Sanctuary
Ingway - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
edited February 2010 in General Discussion
Question: How much would you pay a cleric for helping out in a BH? Or would you even pay?

I paid a cleric 10,000coins and 1 Focus Powder.

I just wanted to know if I overpaid him. Read below for story.

Situation:
I was in a BH29 squad on my archer and we needed a cleric. We found one that was lvl 61. He demanded for FB29 so I told him goodbye. But he said he’d stay if we donated goods or coins. So we were cool with it. He asked for payment at the start of the run. I paid.

Events:
He died when under siege of a certain wraithflame. As a cleric myself, I always popped up Plumeshell every time I predicted a heal aggro. But he didn’t and he spammed Wellspring Surge on himself. Guess it’s a fail on all our part. Don’t know what the rest were doing, but I was at the back and couldn’t see his attacker.

He left squad the moment he died. I pm-ed him about taking payment and ditching us. He said he had a d/c. I believe it was a lie since I pm-ed him two seconds after he left and he wasn’t offline. But he came back anyway.

Everything was fine. Until we realized our barb didn’t invest much in Tiger Form. But not a problem…we could easily get someone else to tank. But the cleric said, “All attack! I will use BB.” Regeneration Aura? Blue Bubble? On Qingzi?!

So, we did as he told. Midway through Qingzi, his BB came down. The barb miraculously went into Tiger Form and held aggro decently. The cleric reverted to IH spamming.

Qingzi had 20k hp left. Suddenly, the cleric cast Tempest while the barb…was at 20% hp. My face literally froze and I was trying to crit and kill the damned thing before the barb died.

In the end, the barb died. And he didn’t get the kill. The cleric was quick to tell the barb that he had to up his Tiger Form blabla because he was sure he kept his HP healed. And soon after he was asking for donations again, to which I quickly left squad. I don’t know what happened to the barb after that.

My thoughts after that were:
1) I pay you for your time, not for you to learn skills because I also need to learn them.
2) If you need money, then do something about your mana management… It didn’t occur to me about the lousy mana management until the whole thing was over.
3) And if we paid you, wouldn’t it be your best interest to keep everyone alive and ensure they get the kill?!

As a cleric myself, I don’t expect and ask for payment if I help. But I also don’t end up helping with something I know I’m too tired to do or would end up griping. And if I do help, I make sure I do the job properly. So this case was a first for me.

What would you do?

Wondering if I’m the only dumb ****. I don't mind paying, but this seems like over payment, especially with the quality that came with it.
Post edited by Ingway - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'd pay him everything I have since .. well.. I'm the cleric.

Your avatar suggests you have a cleric too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nukesrus - Harshlands
    Nukesrus - Harshlands Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Word of advice: Never, EVER pay a random cleric.

If you MUST pay someone to help, make sure it's someone who you or one of the other squad members knows personally through faction or otherwise.
  • Seika_Chi - Dreamweaver
    Seika_Chi - Dreamweaver Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    depend how desperate u r. Personally i would only pay a cleric as a special "thx u for the help", not becuz i felt like i had to. Clerics also help without payment so. Depend on u and the cler =P (if the cler demand payment). PPersonally if i was a cler i wouldn't ask anythign of ppl, i could just have turned them down in the first place.
    Dreamsweavers GhostDogz are looking for you to join the pack =). We are still small but are growing into a fun, friendly and helpful fact. We value that our lower lvls also get the experience they need for their class, so we get some awsome ppl =). all we ask of u is to be okay active (not has to be on 7days a week, 1 is enough) and to bring ur good mood =3 cya ingame!

Pm:
    Sinalee
    SSillver
    Sedochlup
    AnnaKantara
    Ulnar
    Keyla (USA)
    All but Keyla from Europ, and all l=low cast L ()^.^()
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Barb

Not raise true form as soon as possible

lolwut
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I don't pay clerics to help in BHs.

If a cleric is willing to help then that's fine. When they start demanding payment, it goes from help to paid services.

And frankly, where one cleric wants paid services, there is another cleric out there who can do the job just as well and for free. Also, from my experience of "pay me for my services" clerics, I have to admit every good-natured cleric I have met who will help in something they do not need for free generally performed better than the "pay me this much money" cleric. I also offer money voluntarily to the clerics who came free of charge.

It sounds like you had a failure cleric there, by the way. Even if I did pay a "you WILL pay me for this" cleric, I wouldn't have paid somebody so fail. A wet paper towel would have done a better job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Celestyna - Heavens Tear
    Celestyna - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    you dont need to pay a cleric if you are one .. do you? b:surrender

personally i dont take payment for good deeds, if you wanna toss something my way after the fact i will accept tips but i dont ask or demand it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Daialura - Heavens Tear
    Daialura - Heavens Tear Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I demand payment in lols. Qingzi's free 'cause beating him gives enough lols to cover it. =D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And still too squishy...
  • Smobo - Heavens Tear
    Smobo - Heavens Tear Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    The bounty hunter pays the cleric a lot... its not like they don't have a quest in there.

If I really needed a random cleric, I'd offer to let them go free wine in a wined BH. I mean... they can't run off with that can they. Also, friend clerics in tt can benifit from being lent GA's and res scrolls. They give back what they don't use, and its kinda like you resed them for a change :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "People who quote themselves in their signatures are silly. I mean, they can just make up whatever **** they want, and since they said it in their siggie, its a quote." - Smobo
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Seriously... This may come as a shock but clerics need to get their BHs too. I'm very much against it on priciple and would rather waste a couple of hours waiting in archo that pay even a lousy 500 coin.

It's not the coin, i freely give away what apos/pots i've got and have even supplied res scrolls for free when i had them. But paying someone to play with you it's too much on the side of pathetic for even me to cross over.
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    The whole argument about whether someone should be paid for their time or not aside...if you paid them to accomplish a task and they failed to do so fully and completely, you're definitely not getting your money's worth IMO.
  • Helr - Raging Tide
    Helr - Raging Tide Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    i would say that the focus powder alone would be more than enough to cover any costs for even a decent cleric, since by level 61 a cleric should be able to solo 29 with relative ease. Should I need a clerics help on one of my alts, i will pay for their tele/pot costs if they're good at what they do.

I personally vote you didnt get your money's worth cus the cleric in question was incompetent.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I pay nothing to clerics just as I expect no one to pay for me. No ifs ands or buts. FURTHERMORE... if you ask me to help on BH or FB that YOU want to wine (especially if it does not need to be) then DO NOT expect me to pay for a share of it. Get the facts straight, you came to me for help.. not vice versa.

anywho.. never pay up front for services if you don't know their abilities. lesson learned - but we all get burned once in a while.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    He died when under siege of a certain wraithflame. As a cleric myself, I always popped up Plumeshell every time I predicted a heal aggro. But he didn’t and he spammed Wellspring Surge on himself.

But the cleric said, “All attack! I will use BB.” Regeneration Aura? Blue Bubble? On Qingzi?!

Qingzi had 20k hp left. Suddenly, the cleric cast Tempest while the barb…was at 20% hp. My face literally froze and I was trying to crit and kill the damned thing before the barb died.

What would you do?

Fail metal mage. I would have called him on it, lol'd at him and then pk'd them. Someone obviously leveled too fast and doesn't have a clue how to play their class.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Jennalicious - Sanctuary
    Jennalicious - Sanctuary Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I've never paid for help. I can usually find decent non-greedy people to help me out for free. I usually end up helping others out more than they help me anyways, and I don't charge them anything because I'm not a b:quiet (Couldnt think of a PG word that would be good enough to be accepted on the forum.)
  • Centaura - Dreamweaver
    Centaura - Dreamweaver Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Barb

Not raise true form as soon as possible

lolwut

Unfortainatly i met a barb (lvl 49) just like this on a BH once Qingzi killed him in no time and BM unexpectly caught off gaurd tryed to tank he failed because cleric couldnt spam ih before he died; he was lvl 42 then he came after Cleric and naturally rush turn nerves on and try to buy cleric time to run.

These types of barbs are becoming more common with the new daily system in place Two Words Describe barbs like these: FAIL BARBS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Assassin- Cold, Tough, Relentless, Brave, has a Disturbing Mix of Innocence and Violence.

-Proud Member of Vanquish
  • _Pale - Sanctuary
    _Pale - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I think I have heard this story and actually know some of the people in question.

The only advice I can give you is not to pay for it.
    Send a message to an officer of his faction and they will most likely, gladly fix it for you without hesitation and/or run the instance with you if you still need it.

If you feel your cleric did a good job and say thank you, that will do just fine.
    Gifts are always gratefully appreciated, but begging for donations is rather disgraceful IMO.
    I'm not there to make you survive in PWI, that's your job
    ** expected fail squad: express rule of thumb "you die by stupidity, you go to town" **
    ~Sanctuary~Cleric/Archer/Veno~Audeamus/Enelysion
  • Ingway - Sanctuary
    Ingway - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Your avatar suggests you have a cleric too.

Yup. As mentioned, I was playing on an archer (alt).

As a cleric, I don’t ask for payments.
    Word of advice: Never, EVER pay a random cleric.

If you MUST pay someone to help, make sure it's someone who you or one of the other squad members knows personally through faction or otherwise.

Noted. Faction mates were mostly offline, otherwise I'd have asked them.
    depend how desperate u r. Personally i would only pay a cleric as a special "thx u for the help", not becuz i felt like i had to. Clerics also help without payment so..

Yeah, I'd pay cuz I felt like it too. The whole squad waited quite long, so we were a little bit desperate. Whole Head Hunter area was asking for clerics.
    And frankly, where one cleric wants paid services, there is another cleric out there who can do the job just as well and for free. Also, from my experience of "pay me for my services" clerics, I have to admit every good-natured cleric I have met who will help in something they do not need for free generally performed better than the "pay me this much money" cleric. I also offer money voluntarily to the clerics who came free of charge.

It sounds like you had a failure cleric there, by the way. Even if I did pay a "you WILL pay me for this" cleric, I wouldn't have paid somebody so fail. A wet paper towel would have done a better job.

I've never met a paid cleric before until this one. The ones who do help out of good will though I notice are somewhat better at their jobs.

Neither would I have paid him if I knew. Oh well, lesson learnt.
    you dont need to pay a cleric if you are one .. do you? b:surrender

personally i dont take payment for good deeds, if you wanna toss something my way after the fact i will accept tips but i dont ask or demand it.

I'd never ask for another cleric when I'm playing my cleric. I do share my Focus Powders though.

If the confusion arose from the part where I said I’d pop up a Plumeshell, that was what I would do, not what I actually did.
    Seriously... This may come as a shock but clerics need to get their BHs too. I'm very much against it on priciple and would rather waste a couple of hours waiting in archo that pay even a lousy 500 coin.

It's not the coin, i freely give away what apos/pots i've got and have even supplied res scrolls for free when i had them. But paying someone to play with you it's too much on the side of pathetic for even me to cross over.

He didn't need the BH.

Usually I'd wait long enough till a cleric showed up. I guess I was tired and being stupid.
    if you paid them to accomplish a task and they failed to do so fully and completely, you're definitely not getting your money's worth IMO.
    I personally vote you didnt get your money's worth cus the cleric in question was incompetent.

Votes counted. =D
    anywho.. never pay up front for services if you don't know their abilities. lesson learned - but we all get burned once in a while.

I paid thinking he was worried we’d waste his time and not pay after agreeing. Guess my stupidity just bit me.
    Fail metal mage. I would have called him on it, lol'd at him and then pk'd them. Someone obviously leveled too fast and doesn't have a clue how to play their class.

Hmm. Wish I did that. And no I can’t PK him D= (PVE server.)
    I think I have heard this story and actually know some of the people in question.

The only advice I can give you is not to pay for it.
    Send a message to an officer of his faction and they will most likely, gladly fix it for you without hesitation and/or run the instance with you if you still need it.

If you feel your cleric did a good job and say thank you, that will do just fine.
    Gifts are always gratefully appreciated, but begging for donations is rather disgraceful IMO.

Wow.

I know the barb was from Minions, but I forgot the cleric’s faction. I remember his username though (but I can’t post it here I think).

Asking for pots are acceptable I suppose. But donations? I don’t have much taste for it either.
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I for one wouldn't pay for there help, I once got offered the same, and quickly turned them down, fortunately as he/she pmed me saying they would join me, I got another cleric for free who needed it, fairly quickly after the offer.

I do however like the thought... "depends on how badly you desire a cleric's help." Also known as how impatient you and perhaps the other people in squad is/are waiting for a 'free' cleric.

Asking for pay to do something like this, is kind of sad, no one should expect something in return for the nice things that they do, to some... err a lot a simple thank you suffices quite nicely. Though again depends on the person helping, but really if they do ask for pay, I for one would definitely prefer not to pay them.

Although there is a bh, (bh39) I would much rather not go in to heal (on my cleric) without it being an tabbed fb, that instance is a pain in the **** with a full squad of level 50-60. (Granted my cleric is only 65, but still 39 is one huge pain in the ****.) Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go in asking for reimbursements or anything, I just simply avoid helping with that bh if someone other then a 'friend' needs it done on there alt. (Forunately, most of my friends, don't ask for me to go out of my way on my cleric to heal something it don't need.) Though I am more then willing to do it on bosses, that isn't a BH boss.

Just my two cents
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Chaotica_ - Heavens Tear
    Chaotica_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Simple - don't ever pay a cleric for helping in a BH, certainly if they most likely have a BH themselves and need it done (and quite possibly won't get it done without the help of a squad).

I might tip a random Cleric for giving me a rez out on a field after requesting it from them, but certainly won't pay them to do so if they demand it.

If you chose to be a cleric, you're the healer of the game, that is what your class is for. People count on your courtesy of healing them and giving them a rez, and you can easily find someone to do most of the killing for you (as long as you buff or heal them during) in case you can't solo a mob. From time to time you'll be given a few coins from nice people who feel the need to, but never demand it yourself. If you chose to be a cleric in order to heal people for coin, you're going to end up a very, very poor cleric.
  • Centaura - Dreamweaver
    Centaura - Dreamweaver Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Wall of Quotes.....QQ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Assassin- Cold, Tough, Relentless, Brave, has a Disturbing Mix of Innocence and Violence.

-Proud Member of Vanquish
  • Sheets - Sanctuary
    Sheets - Sanctuary Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    in a nut shell, I wouldn't pay for a cleric in a BH because 9 out of 10 times they need the BH just as bad as you, since there all ways is 1 or 2 of them hanging out near the Bounty Hunter, now if you wish to be nice maybe dont make them pay in for wines if there is wines or let them have the good drops if any...but this is just meh... do what your conscious tells you.

!~ Da Sheets
  • Limeball - Heavens Tear
    Limeball - Heavens Tear Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Nothing.

Unless you want to start paying the Damage Dealers for their services, clerics can take a hike. If they want to start being so self important telling you that you can't do the BH without them, tell them to hit the road. Many squads and instances are quite capable of doing runs without clerics and or barbs through improvising.
    Reikara - 94 HA/AA Veno - Heaven's Tear - Retired
    Limeball -84 Assassin - Heaven's Tear - Retired
    Reikarah - 99 Seeker - Sanctuary - Retired

Why do I stick around? I draw pwi fanart.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Whilst I agree that clerics can be avoided in most bounties, I'd love to see you trying to persuade five random people of that.

On t'other hand - paying someone. Buh WHA?!
  • Limeball - Heavens Tear
    Limeball - Heavens Tear Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Most of the time they've had no other choice as a cleric couldn't be found. They're not as plentyful as we'd like them to be. Half the time you do have a cleric, you may aswell don't have one...
    Reikara - 94 HA/AA Veno - Heaven's Tear - Retired
    Limeball -84 Assassin - Heaven's Tear - Retired
    Reikarah - 99 Seeker - Sanctuary - Retired

Why do I stick around? I draw pwi fanart.
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Aww poor furball XD
    Lemme do your bh29s, just drop meh a pm ingame :D
    b:dirty
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I wouldnt pay a class to their job. If they wanna help, they can do so and the best they would get is my DD services for any of their quests/hunts.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Pay a cleric?

mmff....mmffff.....bahahahahhahhahhahaha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Gromskull - Harshlands
    Gromskull - Harshlands Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    What the bloody hell do you mean ''pay the cleric''??????

You don't pay any cleric for anything. If the cleric wants to help ok, otherwise find another cleric.

This is just like that older topic where someone (idk who, never read that) asked if he should charge for res???? Do i charge for my buffs? Do i charge or get payed for tanking anything? NO i don't.
  • Kirnyn - Dreamweaver
    Kirnyn - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I don't believe clerics should be paid. I do however believe they should be treated like anyother member of the squad and not be taken for granted or used and tossed. My cleric is sitting at this level until I decide if it is worth playing him. Too much **** from other players my level.
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Pay me enough and I'll do whatever.
    :)