Fist BM Q&A

Options
Dont_panic - Lost City
Dont_panic - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Blademaster
I can't find a forum anywhere that won't acknowledge Fist users as an equal to any other BM class. I want to change that and I need your help. This post is not here for any of you to bash any BM build. Instead I want you to post your experiences as a Fist build or against a Fist build.

I myself am level 42 Fist BM and do engage in PvP when it comes to me. Personally I haven't been killed or beaten by any class my level give or take 5 levels. My build is 20 vit, enough str to wear Heavy armor and rest in Dex. Barbs miss on me 3-4 times in a row, Axe and Sword BMs miss frequently as well. Arcane users come close to beating me because of my poor M.def and low Hp but at 60 i plan to fix that with Armor/Shard combos. I haven't fought many Archers or Pole BMs so I don't know how I fair against them.

From what I have gathered so far in my career as a Fist BM is this: We are not hard hitters (I do not fully agree with this as we hit twice as often. Fist speeds are 1.43 attacks per second where axes hit at 0.83 or 0.91 att/sec, swords hit at 0.91 or 1.11 att/sec, and Poles hit at 1.00 att/sec. Our base range is also a lot more consistent than the other three build types.)

I have also looked into armor types a bit. I went Heavy armor for the extra Phys. Defence but have considered restating to light armor because I have heard that the crit% is amazing even at lower levels. Light armor build would have you put your stats similar to that of an archer, even out critting them at same levels. I'm not sold on which is the definite best at PvP as i haven't tried a light build. If anyone has perspective on this I'd love to hear it.

Last I want to say that Fists are based heavily in Dex so expect to have a decent crit and evasion rate right from the start. At level 30 I had a base 5% crit rate and around 600 evasion and accuracy.

Criticism is welcome but not "NOOB RESTAT TO AXES/POLES!" Remember that this is to help out not just me but anyone interested in Fist BM's unique style.

I have not fully trained my skill tree so I have no real opinion as to what skills are most important to a Fist BM outside of the all melee weapon skills but those are an integral part so please feel free to post on any aspect you feel that I have missed.

I have a link to a general leveling guide but it doesnt explain PvP at all: http://pw.mmosite.com/guide/2008-12-05/fist-blademaster.shtml
Post edited by Dont_panic - Lost City on

Comments

• Nevlik - Heavens Tear
    Nevlik - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    bms will start massacring you if u go light armor, even with the misses. You'll take that much more damage. Also archers will be more likely to kill you (the metal atks will do less, but their normal will do way more).

and u'll find clerics will start plume shotting you (something they wouldn't try on heavy armor, and plume shot is one of their pvp skills against people with low physical def)
  • Dont_panic - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Options
    bms will start massacring you if u go light armor, even with the misses. You'll take that much more damage. Also archers will be more likely to kill you (the metal atks will do less, but their normal will do way more).

and u'll find clerics will start plume shotting you (something they wouldn't try on heavy armor, and plume shot is one of their pvp skills against people with low physical def)

I have considered the significant P.def hit that switching to light armor would bring and had wondered If stacking a light build with P.def will remedy this at all?
  • Nevlik - Heavens Tear
    Nevlik - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    an easier way is to use heavy armor and keep a lvl 3-5 alter marrow magical on you at all times.
  • Dont_panic - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Options
    that being said, any thoughts on Vit vs. Dex vs. Str?

Favorite shards to imbue into armor? I personally was going to try a Evasion/Mag. Def blend.

Skills that are vital to Fist PvP? Obviously Marrows, Sutra, and Stuns but what else?

Also if anyone that may not have Fist BM but have fought against one or few would post about their experience against Fists or Fist BM against another class and what you feel could be a weakness in the build.

Also was wondering if anyone had a persective on Heaven/Hell spark decision?

I'd like to eventually put together a comprehensive guide for this greatly under appreciated skill branch.
  • Javon - Lost City
    Javon - Lost City Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    i find the best shards are hp or mag def. evasion stones are a waste imo because evasion isnt that great in this game and magic always hits

i hear most fist bms go for hell tho im not sure why exactly except that the fury raises hitrate

also it better to use heavy armor because you gain more hp from refining heavy armor than light.
  • MistresShade - Sanctuary
    MistresShade - Sanctuary Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    *sigh* Search function, I have posted in many BM threads asking about fists etc, but for the search function impaired, here it is again.

Fist BMs are PvE gods, though lack in AoEs. Wanna fight a boss? Use fists. Wanna AoE grind? Use anything but fists. In PvP imo we aren't that great, especially at higher levels. Remember that all PvP damage is severly reduced, then you have to go through the enemy's armor as well, thus reducing the damage quite a bit. Despite the evasion that most fist builds give, there are ways around it, especially at higher levels (the misty forest ring and TT 80 or 90 rings come to mind), and magic ALWAYS hits.

Now with all that out of the way I love my fists, and I will never stop using them on single enemies. Now for armor, my suggestion is stick with heavy, light lowers your phys def too much, and the mag def isn't enough to be worth it, nor is the crit. For shards imo, always go hp, the more hp you have the longer it takes to kill you, and the mag def shards aren't really worth it. If you feel teh need for more mag def, then either alter marrow magical, or half hp half mag def shards.

Skills that are essential in PvE: Shadowless Kick (lvl 39) and Cyclone Heel (lvl 49), these two skills are really the only attack skills you will need in PvE, though Draw Blood is good for maybe the first 40-50 lvls, then if you get demon/sage version of it at 89 it might be useful again, dunno, I'm not there yet. In PvP no matter what type of BM, your golden skills are Roar of the Pride and Aeolian Blade for the stuns.

Other useful skills are Diamond Sutra obviously for the healing, the alter marrows have their places, and the all weapon AoEs are good as well at times (Fan of Flames and Drake Sweep). Also always keep up with fist mastery. Also as a fist BM spark eruption can be your best friend, though at times it can be a pain to choose between using the spark for Diamond Sutra or eruption...

As for a build, back when I was a pure fist user, I liked enough dex for my weapon (or to the nearest round 20 for the next crit), then rest str or vit, but always enough str for heavy armor. At 70 though I restated some though so I could use axes as well (yes its possible, but it takes all your points pretty much, so no vit)

In closing, I love fists, I know they are PvE/1v1 gods, but I still think axes/spears are better in PvP. Remember though, no matter what you do its not wrong, just different.
    I am the biggest hypocrit you will ever see or hear, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Greed destroys even the tightest of bonds
  • Dont_panic - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Options
    This thread is Purely for me to put together a guide for anyone who is interested in the Pros/Cons of Fist BM and I personally have been building myself as a pure fist build. I am not making a Axe/Fist hybrid nor any other combination for that matter.

Where I am having trouble finding Information is not PvE, but TW, PvP, and H/H sparks. Fist BM do have a role in PvP but as yet it has only been loosely defined and since I only play PvP servers this will help me personally as well as put the entire class back on the map. I feel that the scarce numbers of fist BMs could change if I or someone else were to lay out a guide to let everyone know how this class works.

From my experiences so far: Fist BM is not a tank class, Evasion has saved my **** countless times (had a Lv 70 Sword BM miss 4 times in a row) cutting damage taken to half. I've tried Hp shards but don't care for them much as they don't lessen the damage received. Fist BM's live off of their crit rate and speed. My current build has only 20 vit and I have no problem taking down archers my level or mages for that matter. This is not your typical BM and should not be treated like a wasted class.

Also, have searched quite a bit since my initial post and still haven't found anything quite like what I'm asking you here for.

I appreciate your help so far, though I'm far from satisfied.
  • Dravion - Lost City
    Dravion - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    1. hp stones wont lessen the dmg , rather help u last longer
    2.mages and archers get alot better at around 60+
    3. the crit and speed isn't great in pvp because of low dmg(crit + low dmg = low dmg crit), the fact that 4/6 of the classes are ranged and won't stand and tank your hits ,and most people 60+ don't pvp w/o charms so Bms need bigger burst of dmg in order to kill ppl with charms.
    4. there are rings at 77 that add +50% accuracy and most bms use these to hit archers alot more often , so hitting a fist bm wouldn't be any harder

im not trying to bash fist but im just saying why fist aren't that good in pvp. you can still use one in pvp , just don't expect to kick alot of ****. this game has been around for over 5 years so there is prolly some reason fist are scarce.
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Where I am having trouble finding Information is not PvE, but TW, PvP, and H/H sparks. Fist BM do have a role in PvP but as yet it has only been loosely defined and since I only play PvP servers this will help me personally as well as put the entire class back on the map. I feel that the scarce numbers of fist BMs could change if I or someone else were to lay out a guide to let everyone know how this class works.

From my experiences so far: Fist BM is not a tank class, Evasion has saved my **** countless times (had a Lv 70 Sword BM miss 4 times in a row) cutting damage taken to half. I've tried Hp shards but don't care for them much as they don't lessen the damage received. Fist BM's live off of their crit rate and speed. My current build has only 20 vit and I have no problem taking down archers my level or mages for that matter. This is not your typical BM and should not be treated like a wasted class.

Also, have searched quite a bit since my initial post and still haven't found anything quite like what I'm asking you here for.

I appreciate your help so far, though I'm far from satisfied.

Well in TW all BMs are created equal in their role, stun stun stun, thats all there is too it really, and generally between stuns you want to kill them.

PvP is just like TW, except generally on a smaller scale, stuns to keep them from attacking you, and then kill as fast as possible.

As for Sage and Demon sparks, if you believe ecatomb, demon is a far better spark as it increase attack speed (I have heard cyclone heel's attack speed buff over writes it), but sage increases attack power more. As for going pure fist on skills, the demon versions are far better imo.

As for not being a tank class, well BMs aren't built to be tanks, but any BM, with any heavy armor build, can tank. I tank bosses all the time, its just a matter of having a good cleric, but a BM can never replace a barb as tank.

Sword BMs missing you 4 times in a row won't happen too much at higher levels. Fist BMs REQUIRE more dex, thus get more evasion, so other BMs will hit you less because of this fact. Later on though your evasion won't matter much unless you manage to get some things that give alot of +evasion %, then you might have a chacne of it still mattering.

HP shards are better than phys def or mag def shards because then it doesn't matter which you get hit by, it all goes through your increased hp.

Crits are nice, I will admit that, but unless you crit more than 25% of the time, you need the strength as well to offset when you aren't lucky enough to crit that much.
    I am the biggest hypocrit you will ever see or hear, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

• Nayiro - Sanctuary
    Nayiro - Sanctuary Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Also for the record, as a fist BM, I stole aggro from a barb tank of my exact level on TT60.

And all i was using was adv. spark eruption.

But as a fist BM, I actually have more HP then axes (150 more HP to be exact, my skywarriors give me +10 vit)

But yeah, PvP we suck in, PvE we have mad DPS.
    I tank a boss by having the highest DPS.
    Back.
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Also for the record, as a fist BM, I stole aggro from a barb tank of my exact level on TT60.

But as a fist BM, I actually have more HP then axes (150 more HP to be exact, my skywarriors give me +10 vit)

QFT, except the HP part, its all about build, refinement, and shards.

• Nayiro - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    Options
    QFT, except the HP part, its all about build, refinement, and shards.

well ya, but most people think that we have so little HP compared to Axe BMs.

I still can't believe I out-aggroed a barb in tank form.
    Back.
    edited March 2009
    Options
    well ya, but most people think that we have so little HP compared to Axe BMs.

I still can't believe I out-aggroed a barb in tank form.

Its actually not hard if you have proper weapons and build. Pre-60 I was using +4 Sting of Thorns, and couldn't take aggro worth jack, but come 60 when I got my +4 Annhilator of Souls, first boss I did with my regular barb tank I took aggro so fast everyone was surprised, and I died but meh. Barbs are good at holding aggro if you don't do too much, but unfortuanatly, we have ot hold back sometimes...

Oh and the reason everyone thinks axe BMs have so much HP is they assume they have minimal dex and alot of vit and Str, when alot of the time that isn't the case. I know alot of BMs cap their vit at 50 or 60, maybe a little more if they PvP alot, so it isn't that huge of a difference.

• Nayiro - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    Options
    ya, as a fist BM i have nearly 4k HP, im off by like 70 something lol

my skywarriors are only +1 b:surrender
    Back.
  • Creed_ - Lost City
    Creed_ - Lost City Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    *sigh* Search function, I have posted in many BM threads asking about fists etc, but for the search function impaired, here it is again.

Fist BMs are PvE gods, though lack in AoEs. Wanna fight a boss? Use fists. Wanna AoE grind? Use anything but fists. In PvP imo we aren't that great, especially at higher levels. Remember that all PvP damage is severly reduced, then you have to go through the enemy's armor as well, thus reducing the damage quite a bit. Despite the evasion that most fist builds give, there are ways around it, especially at higher levels (the misty forest ring and TT 80 or 90 rings come to mind), and magic ALWAYS hits.

Now with all that out of the way I love my fists, and I will never stop using them on single enemies. Now for armor, my suggestion is stick with heavy, light lowers your phys def too much, and the mag def isn't enough to be worth it, nor is the crit. For shards imo, always go hp, the more hp you have the longer it takes to kill you, and the mag def shards aren't really worth it. If you feel teh need for more mag def, then either alter marrow magical, or half hp half mag def shards.

Skills that are essential in PvE: Shadowless Kick (lvl 39) and Cyclone Heel (lvl 49), these two skills are really the only attack skills you will need in PvE, though Draw Blood is good for maybe the first 40-50 lvls, then if you get demon/sage version of it at 89 it might be useful again, dunno, I'm not there yet. In PvP no matter what type of BM, your golden skills are Roar of the Pride and Aeolian Blade for the stuns.

Other useful skills are Diamond Sutra obviously for the healing, the alter marrows have their places, and the all weapon AoEs are good as well at times (Fan of Flames and Drake Sweep). Also always keep up with fist mastery. Also as a fist BM spark eruption can be your best friend, though at times it can be a pain to choose between using the spark for Diamond Sutra or eruption...

As for a build, back when I was a pure fist user, I liked enough dex for my weapon (or to the nearest round 20 for the next crit), then rest str or vit, but always enough str for heavy armor. At 70 though I restated some though so I could use axes as well (yes its possible, but it takes all your points pretty much, so no vit)

In closing, I love fists, I know they are PvE/1v1 gods, but I still think axes/spears are better in PvP. Remember though, no matter what you do its not wrong, just different.

what are u saying have u ever seen a fist bm at 9x with tt 90 armor sharded and interval gears they OP just about anything nespecially if u know how to play 1 many 7x fist bms do suck at pvp but at 9x they can kill anything and evrything in secs i have seen it happen come to lost city and find out uruself ppl like LordKazahana,Zerhee,NyKage,ETC why u think bms restat at 90 to wear fist Der and on top of that they are very versitile and iverse meaning since fist dont need to max anything but to fist skills (Cyclone heel,and fist mastery) they invest SP into multi weping like pole for long range,axe for aoe (fist bms wont use axes that much cuz they can kill groups in secs) and swords ciuz they look cool and have myraid also with the right genie skillz. now it may seem like im kissing fist bms **** but im just stating the facts btw fist bms dont rely on dmg output they rely on crits and dmg per sec and also if ur looking to amp up dmg get the 90 zerk fist like most do.
    Am i a panda?b:surrender
  • Creed_ - Lost City
    Creed_ - Lost City Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

isent sanctuary a PVE server b:chuckle u know nonthing of fist and pvp ur knowledge is absurd
    Am i a panda?b:surrender
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    didn't notice the necro o.O

Bad user >.>
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Necro >.< almost 1 year too...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    holy ****...this be from the dark ages of the axe bm b:shocked

no...do not necro threads this old... please >.<
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Esque - Lost City
    Esque - Lost City Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    although necroed, gotta admit there are many good points stated in this thread.

dark ages of the axe bm... b:laugh
    Allnighte - knn read pwdatabase laio, rank6 weap needs all of the badges la.
    rank8 laio just la needs laio rep la

Naevo - o wait dis be pw-my-en? ding dong la
  • Zolex - Lost City
    Zolex - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    well this fist question is everlasting as it seems...
    Im a Axe/Sword BM and at start I underestimated the fists too bcause of other ppls comments, but after a lot of duels I observed that they can rock...a fist BM with good build and gear is a nightmare for any class b:surrender\
    I use axe and sword, and a lvl 70 mold claw which I use not recent, but with those I Stole agro from barb and herc...(and my fist mastery is lvl 5) interesting.
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    well this fist question is everlasting as it seems...
    Im a Axe/Sword BM and at start I underestimated the fists too bcause of other ppls comments, but after a lot of duels I observed that they can rock...a fist BM with good build and gear is a nightmare for any class b:surrender\
    I use axe and sword, and a lvl 70 mold claw which I use not recent, but with those I Stole agro from barb and herc...(and my fist mastery is lvl 5) interesting.

the fists have won! b:victory ftw
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • CJseven - Raging Tide
    CJseven - Raging Tide Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

b:victoryshadeb:laugh
    i disagree about the not so good in pvp at high levels, at 86 i killed a charmed barb wearing tt80 armor one verse one in a pk fight. i do have good gear, 85 gold fists, and i use all weapons as well. combining your fists with skills from other weapon classes is an awesome way to pvp, but even with just fist skills you should be able to pvp very effectively. and you know im a big fan of the pole bm shade but that is more suited to ranged classes
    on the stat points i would recommend minimum dex for your weapon and the rest into str. the dex requirement for fist bm is plenty high enough to give you all the accuracy and crit you need. more dex is just a waste, put it in str so you get more dmg to go with your high atk spd. don't bother with any points in vit, it will be a little less hp but most hp comes from gear anyway

edit:lol at necro, didn't notice no wonder shade on old avatar
  • boole
    boole Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    b:surrender i saw a bm use fist to take down barb,cleric and a archer..
    So fist not a good pvp wep? (he used axe to stunb:chuckle )
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I can't find a forum anywhere that won't acknowledge Fist users as an equal to any other BM class. I want to change that and I need your help. This post is not here for any of you to bash any BM build. Instead I want you to post your experiences as a Fist build or against a Fist build.

I myself am level 42 Fist BM and do engage in PvP when it comes to me. Personally I haven't been killed or beaten by any class my level give or take 5 levels. My build is 20 vit, enough str to wear Heavy armor and rest in Dex. Barbs miss on me 3-4 times in a row, Axe and Sword BMs miss frequently as well. Arcane users come close to beating me because of my poor M.def and low Hp but at 60 i plan to fix that with Armor/Shard combos. I haven't fought many Archers or Pole BMs so I don't know how I fair against them.

From what I have gathered so far in my career as a Fist BM is this: We are not hard hitters (I do not fully agree with this as we hit twice as often. Fist speeds are 1.43 attacks per second where axes hit at 0.83 or 0.91 att/sec, swords hit at 0.91 or 1.11 att/sec, and Poles hit at 1.00 att/sec. Our base range is also a lot more consistent than the other three build types.)

I have also looked into armor types a bit. I went Heavy armor for the extra Phys. Defence but have considered restating to light armor because I have heard that the crit% is amazing even at lower levels. Light armor build would have you put your stats similar to that of an archer, even out critting them at same levels. I'm not sold on which is the definite best at PvP as i haven't tried a light build. If anyone has perspective on this I'd love to hear it.

Last I want to say that Fists are based heavily in Dex so expect to have a decent crit and evasion rate right from the start. At level 30 I had a base 5% crit rate and around 600 evasion and accuracy.

Criticism is welcome but not "NOOB RESTAT TO AXES/POLES!" Remember that this is to help out not just me but anyone interested in Fist BM's unique style.

I have not fully trained my skill tree so I have no real opinion as to what skills are most important to a Fist BM outside of the all melee weapon skills but those are an integral part so please feel free to post on any aspect you feel that I have missed.

I have a link to a general leveling guide but it doesnt explain PvP at all: http://pw.mmosite.com/guide/2008-12-05/fist-blademaster.shtml

just some adivice.

A)Ornaments and Shards have a different effects on fists users than in Axes. As a fister you need to get rings that increase damage per hit (rather than accuracy as axes users do). Keep in mind that fists have higher attack rate (more hits per second). For instance, good phy damage rings will increase your normal attack dps way higher than to an axes user because you do more attacks than him per second. The same situation if you add shards on your fists.

b)You need to get gear that increase you attack rate too.

c) take advange of you shadowless kick to cancel mag attacks.

d) take advange of you high dex to carry a good bow to pull mobs.

have fun.
  • Alliptica - Raging Tide
    Alliptica - Raging Tide Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ok i know i'm not a BM but does anyone know of any gold 4x fists?
    -retired-

now playing megaten and...Forsaken World ;)