Demon Ironwood Scarab

Chobsi - Heavens Tear
Chobsi - Heavens Tear Posts: 540 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Venomancer
So I like a lot of the demon skills for my playstyle but the only one Im thinking about not learning is ironwood, The book is cheap but...Is it worth it to give up level 10 ironwood for the 20% chance of level 11?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Chobsi the only thing your good at is making your character look good, otherwise your fail"
"Did that 95 BM just kill himself to your Herc? Mmm..Yep"
"Oh that thing I thought was a statue, it 1 shot me, switch to your cleric please"
"So that Hercules guy from the disney movie really aged well.."
~Chobsi b:cute
Post edited by Chobsi - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver
    VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    The 20% chance is what made me want to go sage. Then again, if you think about it then in regular grinding you probably won't notice it much when it doesn't debuff the mob but when you're doing a boss (where you'll be using ironwood a lot) then a 100% p.def reduction will be very tasty.

I'm going demon now.b:dirty
    This alt has been brought to you by lkurei - Harshlands.
    I'm a guy. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    its way too unreliable for me to like it, i like sage better
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Mystic-Night - Heavens Tear
    Mystic-Night - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited February 2010
  • pand0ra
    pand0ra Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    My (demon) veno just learned that skill not long ago.. I can say I wish it was more than 20% chance of success, but I've been using amplify alot more often to compense the loss of regular p.def debuff.

But when it does hit ! 100% debuff adds a good 1.5K damage per hit..b:dirty

I know a BM with about 20% crit, he crits every third strike just about, sometimes he'll crit 7 times in a row.

Well demon Ironwood works sortof like that. You can cast it a few times no debuffs, and then bam you get 6 in a row..

It's a matter of personal opinion, some people like to take chances, others dont.
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I know it's a gamble, but demon ironwood is one of skills that attracted me to the demon veno tree skill
    >.<
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    When you're dealing with bosses or PvP, Demon Ironwood is your friend. True, it no longer becomes something you can rely on... but when it does hit you know whatever just got hit with it is going to go down hard and fast.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    100% pdef reduction helps more the higher the target's initial pdef. So against most mobs and bosses, Sage Ironwood (40% debuff) is on average better. But against heavy armor players and certain mobs (high pdef), Demon Ironwood is on average better.
  • MindNurf - Harshlands
    MindNurf - Harshlands Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    it owns in pvp tho, target is so dead if it procs.
  • Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver
    Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    100% pdef reduction helps more the higher the target's initial pdef. So against most mobs and bosses, Sage Ironwood (40% debuff) is on average better. But against heavy armor players and certain mobs (high pdef), Demon Ironwood is on average better.

This is true when you're the only person applying the debuff. When you're in a squad with other (sage) venos, barbs, or clerics, it's very likely that the boss is going to be debuffed more often.

As long as your 100% debuff doesn't get overwritten immediately, it will offer more damage in the above situation than sage ironwood will.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    This is true when you're the only person applying the debuff. When you're in a squad with other (sage) venos, barbs, or clerics, it's very likely that the boss is going to be debuffed more often.

As long as your 100% debuff doesn't get overwritten immediately, it will offer more damage in the above situation than sage ironwood will.
    Correct. Which is why it's always important to watch your pet's damage, so you can react to any changes. If it suddenly goes way up, hold off on casting your level 10 or Sage Ironwood.