A thought on Tideborn damage.

FruityMelons - Heavens Tear
FruityMelons - Heavens Tear Posts: 74 Arc User
edited February 2010 in General Discussion
Sooo. Here's what I noticed... not that it's new.

When attacking a water mob when I'm in the water, damage is calculated normal.

When attacking a land mob while I'm standing in water or in water my damage appears to be cut in half. (reference: half the swamp mobs, hydrolaces, acephalics, etc)

This seems to be the case across most, if not all, classes.

BUT, the Tideborn class is a water based class. Soooooooo. Why is it that when attacking from water, I don't do normal damage like mobs do.. And in my opinion, land mobs in water should suffer when attacking from water too.

I'd think Tide would get a bonus for being in the water...

Any thoughts?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by FruityMelons - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    If you think Tideborns should get bonuses for attacking from the water

Archers should get bonuses for attacking from the air.

/thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FruityMelons - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2010
    I have no issues for classes getting bonuses for attacks when in their native environment...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    i see the op's point. but since tideborn is fish classes... they should be made so they must return to the water every 5 minutes (to breath)... or else they'll start to lose hp (1% per second).
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Jennalicious - Sanctuary
    Jennalicious - Sanctuary Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Aren't the Tideborns overpowered enough? Lame.
  • Fumidzuki - Sanctuary
    Fumidzuki - Sanctuary Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    lol so no TT runs for TB's then.. is that what u mean?
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    I have no issues for classes getting bonuses for attacks when in their native environment...

My point was, it's never going to happen.

While I'm sure it is possible to code the game in such a way that a specific class will get an attack bonus/normal attack power when "in their element" as it were, it's not going to happen.

Imagine the QQ if they gave archers bonuses for attacking from the air. There would be endless floods of "THAT'S OP!!! OP OP OP NERF THEM!!!" because god forbid one class have an advantage like that over another class.

It's not worth the time of devs, GMs or anybody else to implement such a system because it would earn nothing but complaints from the other classes. Despite the fact it may make sense to us that TBs would get bonuses from attacking in water, archers for attacking from the air and whatever else you can think up, it's not going to be coded.

Especially when not every class would get an "environment bonus" as it were.

What about BMs? Wizards? Barbs and venos? What special environment bonus would they get? If you cannot answer that then this idea is as far from coming true as you can possibly get.

This idea still wouldn't be implemented even then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    Lol @ returning to water... but since we are going there... all other races then would have to stay at the top of water to fight and be limited on depth as well as time under water should be limited to 30-60 seconds max... less when in combat.

Too funny though...

Maybe I wasn't really clear though. I guess more of to the point that fighting mobs outside of their natural environment doesn't penalize the mobs like it penalizes our toons. Attacking ground from air is a deficit, land mobs from water is a deficit...etc. but the mobs suffer no such ill effects.

The tide getting bonuses from water was an "...if anything..." but really I was more trying to make the point that even the tide gets nerfed in their native environment of water when the mobs do not... Maybe that should be a suggestion to the devs...and that'd certainly make the swamp quests less painful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    lol so no TT runs for TB's then.. is that what u mean?

they can still tt... after all the hp loss doesn't kick in for 5 minutes... just gotta run from the nearest pond to tt. and its only 1% per second... pot/charm is more then enough to offset that.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Aclucius - Lost City
    Aclucius - Lost City Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    When in water, TideBorn do 2x damage.

When in air, Elves do 2x damage.

When on land, Humans do 2x damage.

When in trees, Untamed do 2x damage.

I am pretty sure we do not want each race having an increase in damage for their natural environment, as blademasters and wizards would be doing 2x damage almost all the time.
  • Fumidzuki - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    What about BMs? Wizards? Barbs and venos? What special environment bonus would they get? If you cannot answer that then this idea is as far from coming true as you can possibly get.

my guess will be humans = open lands, elves = mid air, untamed = forests.. just a thought but terrain advantage for races might be a good idea.. but it'l be the elves having the upperhand..

edit: ninja'd by Acl
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    My point was, it's never going to happen.

While I'm sure it is possible to code the game in such a way that a specific class will get an attack bonus/normal attack power when "in their element" as it were, it's not going to happen.

Imagine the QQ if they gave archers bonuses for attacking from the air. There would be endless floods of "THAT'S OP!!! OP OP OP NERF THEM!!!" because god forbid one class have an advantage like that over another class.

It's not worth the time of devs, GMs or anybody else to implement such a system because it would earn nothing but complaints from the other classes. Despite the fact it may make sense to us that TBs would get bonuses from attacking in water, archers for attacking from the air and whatever else you can think up, it's not going to be coded.

Especially when not every class would get an "environment bonus" as it were.

This idea still wouldn't be implemented even then.

No actually thats the easy part Venos get bonuses from being around Trees barbs get bonuses being around the same or being around venos.

Humans would get a bonus to damage if around structures like buildings or fences cause they know their way around them.

And air would be too large a bonus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    When in water, TideBorn do 2x damage.

When in air, Elves do 2x damage.

When on land, Humans do 2x damage.

When in trees, Untamed do 2x damage.

I am pretty sure we do not want each race having an increase in damage for their natural environment, as blademasters and wizards would be doing 2x damage almost all the time.

Last I looked, Untamed were not descended from monkey's. That would be humans that swung from the trees. So sorry, But Barbarians and Venomancers would be the ones doing the lolwtf damage, not you apes.

~S
  • Fumidzuki - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    they can still tt... after all the hp loss doesn't kick in for 5 minutes... just gotta run from the nearest pond to tt. and its only 1% per second... pot/charm is more then enough to offset that.

nearest pond to TT is ...... near broken bridge?
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    All thread b:laughb:laughb:chuckleb:chuckle

Seriously to OP it's very OLD BUG. Don't worry about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Last I looked, Untamed were not descended from monkey's. That would be humans that swung from the trees.

~S

Brb, asking the devs to create a monkey preset for barbs.
    edited February 2010
    Lol. this thread has gotten funny by focusing on bonuses... Interesting ideas floating around..

But any thoughts on mobs facing the same restrictions the toons face? not bonuses but deficits for being outta environment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexenokin - Lost City
    Alexenokin - Lost City Posts: 418 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    tideborn bonus:
    +10 atk and def level while in water
    no damage reductions when attacking FROM water to OTHER locations
    (being "in water" is considered when approximately 40%+ of the character is inside water)

elven bonus:
    +10 atk and def level while in air
    no damage reductions when attacking FROM air to OTHER locations
    (being "in air" is considered when flying with aerogear)

untamed bonus:
    +10 atk and def level while in wilderness
    no damage reduction when attacking FROM wilderness to OTHER locations
    (being "in wilderness" is considered any location that isnt "civilized", "water", or "air")

human bonus:
    +10 atk and def level while in civilized
    no damage reduction when attacking FROM civilized to OTHER locations
    (being "in civilized" is considered any location that is "non-natural", such as cities, roads, bridges, etc)

thoughts? opinions? i'm just putting this out there, considering it would be balanced for all classes (humans getting somewhat short end of the stick in terms of amount of terrain that they can use, but they have two of the stronger/more versatile classes imho)
    I have officially "won the game"... Actually, I decided it was time to leave.
    Joined sometime in March of 2009 - right after Dreamweaver opening.
    Retired on March 16, 2010... 1 year later...
  • Jennalicious - Sanctuary
    Jennalicious - Sanctuary Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    truekossy wrote: »
    Brb, asking the devs to create a monkey preset for barbs.

They started listening to us? When did this happen?
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Lol. this thread has gotten funny by focusing on bonuses... Interesting ideas floating around..

But any thoughts on mobs facing the same restrictions the toons face? not bonuses but deficits for being outta environment.

Okay I'm gonna look at this from a whole new perspective.

Isn't this game easy enough without suddenly having mobs end up nerfed if they happen to be in water and you're on land?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fumidzuki - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    btw.. i have an assassin and i did experiment the damage i deal with a bow when im in land and water, as far as the results tell me (using the water boss in wraith gate) i deal half damage in land and a normal damage in water..
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2010
    No no its not because of the animal thing is because they have a affinity for nature and wood damage both of them thats why I say trees or plants which in places like sanctuary are abundant but would nerf all but humans and elves in the desert.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2010

Isn't this game easy enough without suddenly having mobs end up nerfed if they happen to be in water and you're on land?

tch tch tch too easy they should drown if you push them in the water is what it is. How many times can a huggy hare be pushed into the deep end before it runs out of breath.

dam double posted
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexenokin - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    btw.. i have an assassin and i did experiment the damage i deal with a bow when im in land and water, as far as the results tell me (using the water boss in wraith gate) i deal half damage in land and a normal damage in water..

setting skills aside, going purely on normal attack damage here while unbuffed...

assassins actually do just as much, if not MORE damage than an archer of same level

also assuming both are puredex build
    edited February 2010

Aside from opinions on too easy or too hard... I do not think that the swamp is too easy as it is... I've done quests in there on a Wizard, a Veno and an Assassin and the only "easy" was the veno for obvious reasons...

BUT, mobs could be "programmed" to stay outta water, not entirely, but "smart" enough to at least offer SOME avoidance if they are not water based.... OR mobs could be amphibious too. Land and water... hydrolaces seem to be water based yet they are considered land mobs.

When changing only one aspect of the game, it would be unfair to assume that nothing else would change. Fire based mobs in water should most definitely take a penalty...and fire based spells cast into water should also take a penalty... there's a cascade of changes that would need to be made to create an even flow.

And after all, it's just a thought...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fumidzuki - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    setting skills aside, going purely on normal attack damage here while unbuffed...

assassins actually do just as much, if not MORE damage than an archer of same level

i dont use skills often.. most of the time i only auto attack bosses/mobs.. besides i cant use skills when i use bow lol.. aside from sparks..
  • Alexenokin - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    i dont use skills often.. most of the time i only auto attack bosses/mobs.. besides i cant use skills when i use bow lol.. aside from sparks..

skills was mainly in reference to archer skills

and unbuffed because soon's the archer uses fire arrow, kiss your damage comparison goodbye
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited February 2010

Uh yeah.... have you ever heard of that passive skill archers have called bow mastery? No? It means that any other class with the exact same gear as the archer being compared to will do less damage.
  • Fumidzuki - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    skills was mainly in reference to archer skills

and unbuffed because soon's the archer uses fire arrow, kiss your damage comparison goodbye

i think u'r losing track of what i posted earlier.. kk.. as far as i remember i was saying that i have an assassin testing damage dealt using bow when in water and land.. and came to find out that i deal more damage in water than in land..

i dont see where the archer skills came from here.. >.>
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2010
    Aside from opinions on too easy or too hard... I do not think that the swamp is too easy as it is... I've done quests in there on a Wizard, a Veno and an Assassin and the only "easy" was the veno for obvious reasons...

BUT, mobs could be "programmed" to stay outta water, not entirely, but "smart" enough to at least offer SOME avoidance if they are not water based.... OR mobs could be amphibious too. Land and water... hydrolaces seem to be water based yet they are considered land mobs.

When changing only one aspect of the game, it would be unfair to assume that nothing else would change. Fire based mobs in water should most definitely take a penalty...and fire based spells cast into water should also take a penalty... there's a cascade of changes that would need to be made to create an even flow.

And after all, it's just a thought...

Heh are you looking at the same swamps I am? Venos and swamps? We sooooo don't mix our pets constantly get unsummoned avoiding those spots usually will put a veno in the line of fire.

Alas this is not a veno thread so just take that at face vaule and get on with the other important things here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexenokin - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    i think u'r losing track of what i posted earlier.. kk.. as far as i remember i was saying that i have an assassin testing damage dealt using bow when in water and land.. and came to find out that i deal more damage in water than in land..

i dont see where the archer skills came from here.. >.>

was just pointing out that sins deal just as good damage as an archer with bows... meh, forget what i said