My general Barbarian questions

Mrstaker - Sanctuary
Mrstaker - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Barbarian
Hello, thank you for coming to my thread. A day or two ago, I made a new Barbarian to get away from my level 30 SP deprived Cleric. He is 24 now, and I have a few questions.

I plan to tank in parties, of course. So of course, I will use beast form to do that. Is it bad that I use beast form to solo? It seems to have a huge lack of skills for it, and substantially less dps than humanoid form. However, I do not want to dish my DP across the entire skill tree. I would rather have my TANK skills maxed. Because on my Cleric, I tried to max all my support and important attacks...didn't turn out too well at all. So I am just scared to dish out exp for Humanoid form.

What other mounts are Untamed-only? No offense, but the whole flying Manta Ray thing...I just think wings/swords are cooler. I heard we can get dragons and some really badass flying mounts, not that it really matters to me.

My Barbarian is level 24, and his stats are;
Str= 65
Vit= 51
Dex=16
Mag=base
Is that ok?

I love to Solo. I am not very social and don't like to party unless it is a FB or elite kill. I like to do things at my own pace, to get more in detail, I attend an Online Highschool, so I work on schoolwork all day and play all day as well. So usually I kill 5 things, meditate, do work. Anyways, so is this a good solo class? And no, never playing the over populated Venomancer.
My damage seems a little bit behind in Beast mode, which is to be expected, since it is 20% less damage. Should I ever level beast mode up if I solo with it? My hp is over 2k in beast form, so I can tank or solo 2-3 mobs at a time 3 levels higher than me, and not need to pot.

Why do people say we level slowly? Hell, I am ALWAYS in beast form, and got to level 20+ in one day. Sure, the damage is lower, so naturally the killing speed is also, which means less experience per hour. But I just mob up a few things THEN go at it.

Sorry for the un-organized list of questions. My general question is about the two forms, tanking, sp total, and skills.

Update (11-7-08) New Questions.

I have a few more questions that have emerged from leveling. (29 Now, just finished my cultivation)

Blood Bath. I know our accuracy for mid levels, even with +accuracy gear, is still pretty horrible, so this helps a lot. Here is my question, should I get it and max it? Should I activate it when tanking, because the HP is crucial, and 25% is a big chunk, but then again, the point of a tank is to AGGRO and THEN take the hits, and if your hit misses (which it will around 25% of the time) it can really own your party. Also, should I use it for soloing? (I always solo in tiger form).

Should I level up my white tiger? Maxed out, it should make a better overall tank. But what if I ONLY buy tiger skills and buffs meaning I solo/alway play in tiger form, should I take the killing speed reduction?
Post edited by Mrstaker - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Arenamanager - Sanctuary
    Arenamanager - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    If you've already progressed along the tiger form based skills, then just stick with those and leave the humanoid skills unless you're bathing in SP and money.

I personally am in tiger form all the time and solo just fine. True, the damage penalty might hinder your kill rate, but just play on the elemental weaknesses (if any).

As for having access to only several skills in tiger form, thats not necessarily a negative, it just means less SP and money to spend, thus being able to max your tiger skills for better effectiveness.

Your stats or more or less fine, but you need slightly more strength to wield that heavy armour (insane str requirement)

For further information regarding Barbs, consult Dai's Barb guide here
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    A barbarian is not meant to be a solo class as such... Whilst you can solo stuff rather easily at the lower levels, things do get tougher higher up...particularly in areas where you have multiple aggressive mobs.
    In these places mobs seem to gather faster than you can kill them. Remember the barbarian does not only suffer from low damage but also low accuracy....which becomes more apparent after level 20.

Its a must that you try and max out your tiger skills first. A tank who can't tank is useless imho.
    You will suddenly find yourself short a few thousand skill points later on, particularly after level 29.

If you manage to save some SP you can level a few humanoid skills...particularly as you solo a lot and it is faster grinding in humanoid.
    But unless you plan to solo FBs you will need the higher tigerform levels, because not a lot of partys will want a low HP tank.

Personally I have thus far maxed as far as possible most of the tiger skills available (can't max all for lack of SP). Humanoid skills, I only try and max out the buffs, cause they are good. Other skills only as and when I can (most of them are at level2).

As far as stats go, follow str and dex requirements for dual axes( which usually require more str than armor) and heavy armors...especially since you solo, you'll need the higher damage from the axes. For me, 90% of the time it has been 6str,3vit, 1dex every two levels.

The Barbarian guides are excellent and will help you out immensely....so please do go through them.

Remember after a good cleric, the next most wanted in a party is a good tank. So do try and party up.
    You'll be surprised how often people will accept. Most important, when in a party always go tiger. In a party its the tiger skills that are handy and not the humanoid. The tiger skills are meant to hold aggro, while the DDs kill the mob. If your tiger skills aren't leveled enough, the DD may out-aggro you and that will pretty much make you redundant.

Hope that helps.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Mrstaker - Sanctuary
    edited November 2008
    Both of your replies were exceptionally helpful, thank you both so much. As far as the general build goes, I have been following the 6 str 3 vit 1 dex (2 strength 3vit even, 4 strength 1 dex odd)/10 points. I was already fairly confident after looking at the skill tree, that the tiger skills and buffs were the most important. Human side is for damage, tiger side is for aggro and tanking. And I am pretty sure I won't run out of SP at all. Because I am usually in a surplus of over 15-20k SP after I buy all my buffs and tiger skills. And yes at 29, many upgrades and new skills become available, but you also get 35k spirit from the cultivation. So I should be fine in that department, I think, however I could be wrong.
    edited November 2008
    Well I dunno how long thats gonna last....particularly with each skill costing in the region of 20K spirit to level.....b:chuckle

Well anyway, GoodLuck to ya! b:victory Always good to see another fellow barbarian.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dusk - Lost City
    Dusk - Lost City Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    for now, i would focus on tank skills. My tiger skills are all leveled and nearly maxed, and i have no sp for human skills. At higher levels, sp isn't a problem, so max everything then. For now i would say only buy up to 3 human skills, for pvp and pk.
    ☺☻
  • Mrstaker - Sanctuary
    edited November 2008
    Bump. Added new questions.
  • Arenamanager - Sanctuary
    Arenamanager - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    In straight pve, bloodbath is not absolutely vital, especially if you're soloing, but while your sacrifice of hp for accuracy seems to oppose the concept tanking, more hits = faster kill = lower repair/pot/etc costs. As well, bloodbath's prerequisite skill, beast king's inspiration, is suppose to counter bloodbath's negative. Even without bloodbath, you should in most ordinary situations retain aggro via devour + flesh ream.

As for leveling true form:
    + more hp obviously a good thing IF your regen supports it (regen fast enough to full hp or to somewhat offset damage taken)
    + faster movement = leading to travel by foot a viable option oppose to constant porting (although once you get mounts, thats a different story)
    + faster movement = beating that nobody to that pile of ores/herbs/item. also lets you hit & run mobs using flesh ream
    + Can tank more hits = making beastial more effective = more flesh ream stacking
    or whatever else skill
    - lower attack = more susceptible to KSers
    - taking more hits due to slower rate of kill = more repairs, more pots
    - difficulty against mobs with life drain

I'm at tiger lv 2, again, I solo fine and can contribute to a party, but do keep in mind that once leveled, it cannot be reversed.
    edited November 2008
    Its good to get bloodbath and max it ASAP. At level 1 it increases 110% acc for 25% HP drop. But at level10 it increases acc 200% for a 16% drop in HP.....thats a winning situation.

I personally don't use bloodbath much (either soloing or tanking). However I have been maxing it as soon as I can. Once I get to lvl 5 Ill start using it for soloing.

When you are tanking in a party, your accuracy doesn't matter. Even with a few misses, as long as you keep spamming flesh ream, you hold aggro and let the DDs do their wok.

As far as maxing white tiger goes, its personal preference. I have it currently at lvl2 and I don't regret levelling it.

Hope that helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Landostander - Lost City
    Landostander - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I just thought I'd toss in the suggestion of Socketed armors and weapons. I tend to value accuracy in just about any situation so I tend to affix at least an average quality gem to any of my weapons (unless I get lucky and the weapon already has added accuracy). The problem I run into is that early on in the game (before I thought to check the forums for build guidlines) I squandered a few points on magic, which I'm sure will come back to haunt me as I increase in level, at which point I may snag a reset scroll.

For now I've adopted a 1 3 1 distribution of my points at each level 1 for vit and dex and 3 for str. I'm at 36 now and have about 2400 hp unbuffed and non-tiger form and just a touch over 3k in tiger form and buffed with my +18% HP Inspiration. I read somewhere that having 1000hp by lvl 15 was important for a good Tank so I shot for getting 2k hp by level 30 and hope to hit lvl 45 with 3k hp unbuffed and non-tiger.
  • Jmanassassi - Harshlands
    Jmanassassi - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Hello, thank you for coming to my thread. A day or two ago, I made a new Barbarian to get away from my level 30 SP deprived Cleric. He is 24 now, and I have a few questions.

I plan to tank in parties, of course. So of course, I will use beast form to do that. Is it bad that I use beast form to solo? It seems to have a huge lack of skills for it, and substantially less dps than humanoid form. However, I do not want to dish my DP across the entire skill tree. I would rather have my TANK skills maxed. Because on my Cleric, I tried to max all my support and important attacks...didn't turn out too well at all. So I am just scared to dish out exp for Humanoid form.

What other mounts are Untamed-only? No offense, but the whole flying Manta Ray thing...I just think wings/swords are cooler. I heard we can get dragons and some really badass flying mounts, not that it really matters to me.

My Barbarian is level 24, and his stats are;
    Str= 65
    Vit= 51
    Dex=16
    Mag=base
    Is that ok?

I love to Solo. I am not very social and don't like to party unless it is a FB or elite kill. I like to do things at my own pace, to get more in detail, I attend an Online Highschool, so I work on schoolwork all day and play all day as well. So usually I kill 5 things, meditate, do work. Anyways, so is this a good solo class? And no, never playing the over populated Venomancer.
    My damage seems a little bit behind in Beast mode, which is to be expected, since it is 20% less damage. Should I ever level beast mode up if I solo with it? My hp is over 2k in beast form, so I can tank or solo 2-3 mobs at a time 3 levels higher than me, and not need to pot.

Why do people say we level slowly? Hell, I am ALWAYS in beast form, and got to level 20+ in one day. Sure, the damage is lower, so naturally the killing speed is also, which means less experience per hour. But I just mob up a few things THEN go at it.

Sorry for the un-organized list of questions. My general question is about the two forms, tanking, sp total, and skills.

Update (11-7-08) New Questions.

I have a few more questions that have emerged from leveling. (29 Now, just finished my cultivation)

Blood Bath. I know our accuracy for mid levels, even with +accuracy gear, is still pretty horrible, so this helps a lot. Here is my question, should I get it and max it? Should I activate it when tanking, because the HP is crucial, and 25% is a big chunk, but then again, the point of a tank is to AGGRO and THEN take the hits, and if your hit misses (which it will around 25% of the time) it can really own your party. Also, should I use it for soloing? (I always solo in tiger form).

Should I level up my white tiger? Maxed out, it should make a better overall tank. But what if I ONLY buy tiger skills and buffs meaning I solo/alway play in tiger form, should I take the killing speed reduction?

well u should do tiger cuzz give u better defend i might do human well do human cuzzz it helps u beteer but if u do white tiger i wil probally ise heim if i need help killinjg a stronmger animal i might be wrong but it is u. u chosse what u ant to do but my wizard is on lvl 41 bout to lvl up and be on lvl 42 so yea...... i have a barb to he is on lvl 30b:pleasedb:victoryb:shocked
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    OMFG b:shocked

HOLY MOTHER NECROS...your first post in here and you dig up a thread from 2008 ?

...man u must have been bored lately...

i wonder how the fk u managed to find this topic and why u bother to answer in a long time dead thread...

the OP could have left long time ago or could be even dead, whats the point in this ?

pls read the forum rules:http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=63291
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    OMFG b:shocked

HOLY MOTHER NECROS...your first post in here and you dig up a thread from 2008 ?

...man u must have been bored lately...

b:laugh This +100. 1.5 years of necro!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Wonty - Heavens Tear
    Wonty - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'm a 52 barb.. most of the time i'm in beastform.. but if i wanna kill fast.
    i go in normal mode for higher damage etc i upgrade all skills normal and beast
    I like parties i hate fighting range mobs because they run away
    so any range class could assist it, My story.