Playing from 2 pc's

Options
Digitalaniq - Heavens Tear
Digitalaniq - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
edited February 2010 in General Discussion
I was wondering if i could play this game from 2 pc's with the same IP. Thing is, both the PC's are in the same LAN, so both have the same IP but they're 2 seperate PC's.
Post edited by Digitalaniq - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    As long as they're two different PCs, you're fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear
    Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    As long as they're two different PCs, you're fine.

^ This. Aslong as it is two different pc's your fine.
    Executor Of Reunited ~ Level 3 ~ Level 85+ ~ No Drama, No Pressure Faction.

Hunter_PT - Cleric 9X, (Active/Main)
    PoisonedTip - Veno 7x (Retired)
    Skeln - Barbarian 4X (Rarely-Active)
    Hunter_The - BM 1X (Rarely-Active)
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    My wife and I run 3 pc's at the same time from the same LAN.

~S
  • Peritia - Lost City
    Peritia - Lost City Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    As everyone has already mentioned, it's perfectly fine. I'll elaborate a bit though:

People often focus too much on the IP issue for identifying themselves when gaming. If you were simply accessing a website, then you would have little more identifying information than the IP address.

However, Perfect World is of course locally installed software. Some of you observant people may also have noticed the fact that the launcher begins two separate processes: elementclient and pwprotector.

Just making an educated guess, but the latter likely periodically reports a few key features to the server (local IP address, some device IDs for your hardware, etc).

If all of these values were reported identical between two clients, it would be pretty much proof positive they're multi-clienting, and they would/could be banned in short order.

Just speculation though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    As everyone has already mentioned, it's perfectly fine. I'll elaborate a bit though:

People often focus too much on the IP issue for identifying themselves when gaming. If you were simply accessing a website, then you would have little more identifying information than the IP address.

However, Perfect World is of course locally installed software. Some of you observant people may also have noticed the fact that the launcher begins two separate processes: elementclient and pwprotector.

Just making an educated guess, but the latter likely periodically reports a few key features to the server (local IP address, some device IDs for your hardware, etc).

If all of these values were reported identical between two clients, it would be pretty much proof positive they're multi-clienting, and they would/could be banned in short order.

Just speculation though.

My own speculation...I don't think they really pay that close attention to the issue, because I know plenty of people that have admitted freely to multiclienting (not naming any names here), and have never been banned for it although they're almost always doing it. I'm not sure what kind of report would make PWI actually look into multiclienting, but they don't seem to actively seek it out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

Just speculation though.
    It would be impractical and too costly to get too much PC info (especially constant data of this sort) from every player running the game, but rest assured, beyond IP, the very next thing the client finds is your MAC address, which has been done in MMO games for at least a dozen years now, even though it's so easy to spoof nowadays (most people don't know how so still easy to use to track/identify).
  • NuDe - Heavens Tear
    NuDe - Heavens Tear Posts: 532 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Hi janus ^^