Damage and weapons?!

Options
Odadom - Sanctuary
Odadom - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Blademaster
Hey. Yesterday I started a BM and I'm lvl20 atm. I'm doing 3str/2dex per lvl because my accuracy is poor and have 10 vit (will add more in the future).

Well, my problem is, I have a crappy damage... How come BM is the best DPs? My archer does two times bigger damage at this level o.o Will my damage get any better later? More str sounds better but all guides say adding more than 3 / lvl is a waste, so I won't.

I usually like range, and considering that I drink potions like crazy, I might choose the polearm path to get some range and less pain. Is it any good for PVE? I am not ineterested in PVP and usually prefer 1v1 instead of AoEs. However, it has some nice AoEs for emergencies (if more monsters attack me). I want axe/hammer too but only after lvl70-80 when I have upgraded gear and stuff (THEN I can go AoE grind).
If polearm is not the best choice for low-mid lvl pve, what do you suggest? I've tried all weapons and like all of them, except for fist... It's kind of weird.

Thanks for the help.
Post edited by Odadom - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Starchief - Sanctuary
    Starchief - Sanctuary Posts: 606 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    a 3/2 biuld till 90 is the best dps because no matter what classes are in your group, if you have good 90 fists nothing can keep aggro from you, NOTHING, (well maybe a barb >.>)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You can't really judge a BM's damage at level 20...

Your DPS depends on what type of weapon you are using and if you don't like fists, well, they are they best DPS weapon. Fists also need to be backed up by -interval between hits gears. So no, being a BM won't automatically make you the highest DPS (and prob won't ever be after Sins out but a close second), but you have the potential of being a good DD. As for range goes, pole doesn't really help you if you are use to fighting at a distance. It has a slightly farther reach and a good range skill but it's nothing like a bow of course. If anything, you'll attack a magic mob out of its melee range with spear and they cast magic on you which hurts a lot more. So with pole, you have to take a step forward to make sure you are within reach of the mob's melee attack.
    a 3/2 biuld till 90 is the best dps because no matter what classes are in your group, if you have good 90 fists nothing can keep aggro from you, NOTHING, (well maybe a barb >.>)
    Barbs in the 90s can't keep aggro from me lol. It usually ends up with them taking it back for a couple of seconds with Flesh then it comes back to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Ranfa - Dreamweaver
    Ranfa - Dreamweaver Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Barbs in the 90s can't keep aggro from me lol. It usually ends up with them taking it back for a couple of seconds with Flesh then it comes back to me.
    ^This^

You can't really shine with fists until 60's where you'll be able to use your first -interval gear (DQ bracers). Until then, your damage will be weak, your survivability will be low, and you overall will be useless in many situations. I've been there.

At 70's, you'd have a decent level of Cyclone Heel (given you prioritize it), and combined with the -interval gear, you will start outdamaging everyone your level.

At 80's it becomes possible to reach 2 attacks/s with just Cyclone Heel and you become a beast with spark.

At 90's, it becomes possible to reach 2 attacks/s with just -interval gear. If you devote your resources, you will be able to reach max attack speed and, with Demon Spark, most Barbs become obsolete as Flesh Ream becomes a joke. b:cute

It's a long and hard road, but the end reward is very, very satisfying. Stealing aggro from people 8-10 levels above me feeds my ego. b:victory
  • Odadom - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Looks like fist rules at higher lvls. But I like it better when damage and survavibility (spelling?) is balanced :) I can't wait for that heal skill at lvl29, lol.

I know a pole isn't like a bow. I'm thinking about attacking the monster from afar, and when it gets close, just hit it with the pole. Or if it's ranged, I run close after using my long range skills. Does this make sense? I want to know if I'll be able to solo / do my quest with poles effectively? I squad for bosses / FBs anyways.

(Sorry for my bad English, not my native language).
    edited February 2010
    Options

I know a pole isn't like a bow. I'm thinking about attacking the monster from afar, and when it gets close, just hit it with the pole. Or if it's ranged, I run close after using my long range skills. Does this make sense? I want to know if I'll be able to solo / do my quest with poles effectively? I squad for bosses / FBs anyways.

(Sorry for my bad English, not my native language).

The slight longer reach on pole won't make much difference in your day to day combat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Odadom - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I see, thank you! I think I'm reconsidering fists / claws. I heard they are pretty good for PVE. But then if I want to use every weapons, I have to restat, right? I spent 5 points on vit and I need 6 str / 2lvls for axe and 4dex / 2lvls for fist... Blaaahhh! x.x I should just start over but I love my name and don't wanna wait a week until the character gets deleted, lol. I won't have vit, but I guess I can put citrines in my gear.
  • Kieran - Dreamweaver
    Kieran - Dreamweaver Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    No need to restart/restat...you can easily make up the 5 points in vit by having STR mods on your gear by the times it becomes a problem...from what I read you will probably want to have like 30-50 points in vit anyway at least untill your 80's-90's which is when you would restat it in to str or dex (+ refines on armor easily make up for the lost HP)
  • LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    If you want a 1 on 1 with grinding, then go with sword. Next to axe, at least in low lvls, it'll give you the best possible dmg.
    If you decide you like sword, then combine it with axe, fist, or pole. Any of those will give you majorly good dmg possibility. Though, as most said, fist is the best option at later lvls as long as you have the right gear. (Though personally, I'm getting Warsoul - Cirruslord when i get end-game. **** all you people who say decide, TT, etc. WARSOUL FTW!!!)
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Lol warsoul.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Odadom - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot about mods, lol. Thanks for the help, everyone! Swords are okay too and I'm starting to like fists after giving them another chance.