Pet for Fist Veno

Options
Vitenka - Dreamweaver
Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Venomancer
So, I'm starting up an alt, doing the crazy "Heavy armour and fist" build.
Which means I have *no* points for magic, which is fine 'cause I can't cast spells anyway.

So. I'm at a low level, and it kinda works like an underpowered BM (since I don't have melee mastery yet - a VASTLY underpowered one) and I'm hitting an unexpected problem.

My pet steals aggro from me. And I have no way to heal it. (Even equipping coloured wand I heal for about 30hp, which aint cutting it at level 16)

So I need a pet with high healing rate. And a moderately low damage output.

The only pet I know about with self-heal skill is the antelope pup (and I'm way too small for that for now)

So. I'm asking an unusual question - what is a BAD pet to use, from the point of view of dealing damage.
Post edited by Vitenka - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Possibly a Shaodu Cub. It does terrible damage, but has Pierce and Pounce, both of which are quite useful. And it's got pretty good defense on the off chance that it does take aggro. Though it's level 20, and I have no idea about its self-heal ability.

As for the fist veno, doesn't melee mastery only apply in foxform? Are you planning to do the excessively complicated "break fists, transform, repair" thing each time you log in?
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Options
    As for the fist veno, doesn't melee mastery only apply in foxform? Are you planning to do the excessively complicated "break fists, transform, repair" thing each time you log in?

That's the plan, yes :)

Oooh, you're right - pierce is actually useful for this build, since I can't cast ironwood. And yes, a stun is always a good thing to have. And shadau's damage output is roundly condemned, so that's a very good possible.

Damn. That means braving the taming circle again.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    TT 80 fists 451-498 p.atk (474.5 avg) 0.7 sec/atk
    TT80 magic sword 370-555 p.atk (462.5 avg) 0.8 sec/atk

The difference in base damage is almost negligible (2.5%). The +70 p.atk bonus is nice, but factor in refines and shards and it's only about 15%. The difference in attack speed accounts for a 14% difference in DPS. In other words, your gain for doing this only ~30% extra p.atk. For that, you're giving up all magic, stuck in fox form, and have to do the "break fists, transform, repair" thing. Is it really worth it for a paltry ~30% increase in damage?

It makes more sense at around level 90-100 when you can load up on all the -interval gear possible. Add -0.1 interval fists and the fists can end up doing about -80% more damage than a magic sword. So I can understand wanting to try this if you've already got a high level heavy veno. But leveling one up from scratch using fists?
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Level 16. Not 80. TT80 gear might as well be on the moon.

I'm doing this for fun and silliness as an alt, not for an efficient build.

Because a tiny little fox biting things to death is, frankly, hilarious.

As an aside: The newbie areas are eerily silent nowadays. I'd have thought there'd be at least SOMEONE asking me why I was running up to things and hitting them.
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    A pet with pierce is a great ally for increasing your phy. attk. on monsters. A lyxnus is one I know that has pierce. An oddfoot, cactopod, or a scorpion may work out. Antelopes are icky >.<
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Options
    A pet with pierce is a great ally for increasing your phy. attk. on monsters. A lyxnus is one I know that has pierce. An oddfoot, cactopod, or a scorpion may work out. Antelopes are icky >.<

A scorpion is what I'm currently using - but it takes aggro and I can't heal it. Hadn't considered the cactobpod, probably should try it. The cats also hit hard, and seem even more fragile than the scorpion, so I don't think that will work out.
  • Havilah - Sanctuary
    Havilah - Sanctuary Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Dark Wanderer. Tough and roar to spread the damage between you two and pierce. The fouth spot can be used for threaten(I'm planning to learn it on mine). Also a superb DD and pdef pet for general purpose.

Otherwise, just turn off the skill of your pet(right click yellow border skill, or a different one to make it the enw defaul one), work nicely for my lv27 battle fox alt. She will be using a mirage sword for a long time, so I can bramble myself to add to the damage(contrary to this repair-fist-in-fox-form thingy, 1st time I see that).

My other two pet are a soft cactopod(range) and a carapest terror. I'm thinking the carapest while be usefull to take the 1st spell of most mobs later in the game. And uniqueness too.
  • Born_Again_ - Sanctuary
    Born_Again_ - Sanctuary Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I would take one of the lvl 1 Qingfu for 1 reasons:

1. It has no aggro spells on it (no need to remove spells)

2. Its high HP pool and physical/magic defense, make it survive several attacks from mobs if it happens.

b:victory b:heart

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/mob/1001
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/mob/1000
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/mob/16
    b:heart C. G. C. b:heart
    - a guild/faction on many servers, where ethics and behaviour actually matters and makes a differense

b:pleased

facebook.com/group.php?gid=22920649068
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=348361
  • phormio
    phormio Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I use a bow and have a Shaodu Cub with heal skill added (I took off the toughen skill). This works well and there's very little down time having to heal the pet myself.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    A heavy armor veno friend of mine used a snow hare as main battle pet. It has a self-heal skill and comes with a couple of debuffs (though not pierce, I think.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • FluffeFire - Lost City
    FluffeFire - Lost City Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    A heavy armor veno friend of mine used a snow hare as main battle pet. It has a self-heal skill and comes with a couple of debuffs (though not pierce, I think.)

I too use the snow hare on my HA Fox veno. It rarely steals aggro + it does come with level 1 pierce.
  • KawaiiKelly - Heavens Tear
    KawaiiKelly - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The snow hare heals itself. Or you can buy the pet scroll for that. It's called 'Boost'.
    f:shame
  • Havilah - Sanctuary
    Havilah - Sanctuary Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    phormio wrote: »
    I use a bow and have a Shaodu Cub with heal skill added (I took off the toughen skill). This works well and there's very little down time having to heal the pet myself.

This would work at lower lv, but I'm interested to know your experience with a bowveno after lv50.

I had totally forgotten about the quigfu(only have boost) and the snow hare when I made my earlier post, both should work alright. The snow hare, from memory, come with sandblow, pierce, shriek(at lv1, 60% chance to interupt channeling) and boost. The bunny can also double as a fast running lure pet.

Also, the lv2 beetles only come with tough if you want to know. Their stat are almost copy-paste of the shadou cub, good tank, poor damage dealing.

The last pet which come with no (elemental)bash or flesh ream is the new ocean chanter. Shriek and slow, but both create agro when used. Also, not very good stat wise(it all went to the look).

In case you missed this info from my previous post, right click your favorite pet's skill to turn it off and prepare yourself to take a beating.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Nice, ok - I'll go for the quingfu and try a bunny/shadau when and if I acquire one.

And yeah, I've been turning off bash. The scorpion is still out damaging me. I'm thinking this isn't going to work out very well at all, but one can only try.
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    So, I'm starting up an alt, doing the crazy "Heavy armour and fist" build.
    Which means I have *no* points for magic, which is fine 'cause I can't cast spells anyway.

So. I'm at a low level, and it kinda works like an underpowered BM (since I don't have melee mastery yet - a VASTLY underpowered one) and I'm hitting an unexpected problem.

My pet steals aggro from me. And I have no way to heal it. (Even equipping coloured wand I heal for about 30hp, which aint cutting it at level 16)

So I need a pet with high healing rate. And a moderately low damage output.

The only pet I know about with self-heal skill is the antelope pup (and I'm way too small for that for now)

So. I'm asking an unusual question - what is a BAD pet to use, from the point of view of dealing damage.

First HA veno now this... b:laugh maybe venoes are overpowered afterall it gets boring b:chuckle at least I think and melee mastery only WORKS on venoes in FOX FORM with MAGIC INSTRUMENT... then again its forums, i guess there will be guides of clerics with bows with HA, and I saw a cleric with hammers and HA not too long ago.

Axe / hammer clerics pwns anyday / sarcasm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • phormio
    phormio Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    This would work at lower lv, but I'm interested to know your experience with a bowveno after lv50.

I'm currently lv79 with the cub a few levels behind and it works reasonably well. The pet does struggle to hold agro so it's a question of timing and a bit of patience to stop a mob getting to me without too much health left.

For air mobs I have a petite sawfly but that's quite tedious to use and I'm only leveling for pvp, the piggy would be a better option for playing with a bow if I had the time to level another pet. :)