System Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2Ghz
Via Chrome9 IGP (64MB allocated shared)
1GB Memory
ASUS M2V-MX
120GB HDD/70GB free
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Notes:
Yea, its not a powerhouse but it played PWI fine with Windows XP.
We have 2 other computers in the house that play PWI fine connected to the router. (1 laptop wireless, 1 desktop wired. This desktop is also connected wired. Router MAC filtering/similar technologies are not used.)

After years of faithful service, Windows XP reached a point where reformat was needed. After learning our install disk had become unreadable and failing to find a reasonably priced copy of XP Pro, we decided to pick up Windows 7. Installed Windows 7, installed drivers for the video card, downloaded Vista/Win 7 version of PWI. I installed (as admin) to "C:\Perfect World International" to make sure it has write permissions for stuff like screenshots.

When I put my user name into the client, it tells me "Unable to connect to server" but then brings up a list of all my toons. If I click on a toon, it tells me "Disconnected from server, please log in again." However, as long as I dont hit confirm on the "Disconnected from server" message, I can run with my characters using mouse only, melee mobs, pick up loot, read player messages, and interact with the game in many ways. I can't jump, click hotbar skills, use keyboard movement, or really play the game like this.

Prob1.jpg

Prob2.jpg

I have disabled the (avast) antivirus and windows firewall in my troubleshooting but this made no change. Any ideas?

EDIT:

This thread is now closed. The problem has been resolved. See page 2 for details on resolution.
Post edited by Kama - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Kama - Dreamweaver
    Kama - Dreamweaver Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    After a bit of playing around, I found I can gain full keyboard control and skill usage if I spam a couple "F keys" followed by using the mouse to open a menu like the quest box. b:chuckle

I dont know if its symptomatic or causial but while playing with the "Disconnected from server" message, I'm experiencing ~10 second lag on using skills and interacting with NPCs and extreme amounts of rubberbanding when traveling over 50m+ distances. The gameplay (movement from my eyes) is generally smooth and steady but from interactions with the environment I can tell my avatar is extremely lagged.
  • Kama - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Bump b:sad
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I was sleeping. (I am probably the most active here) Can I get some further information from you?

I would like the following:
    router information reguarding DMZ or other ports open
    Physical location (general area, I am not asking for your home address)
    Ping listed on server list
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    mayhaps a verification of teh game files?
    b:puzzled
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    if that was the case, it wouldn't connect at all or would crash. it's not crashing
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
  • Kama - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    I was sleeping. (I am probably the most active here) Can I get some further information from you?

I would like the following:
    router information reguarding DMZ or other ports open
    Physical location (general area, I am not asking for your home address)
    Ping listed on server list

No DMZ declared, no port triggers or port forwarding used on either DSL modem or wireless router.

Physical location - Washington State

Pings from server list - around 60 on west coast, around 120 on east coast.
  • Kama - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010

Just for the hell of it, I went and verified files anyways. Verification completed just fine.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    No DMZ declared, no port triggers or port forwarding used on either DSL modem or wireless router.

Physical location - Washington State

Pings from server list - around 60 on west coast, around 120 on east coast.
    try on DMZ, see if it works, if it does there's some fixes we can put on your ip on your network to fix it
  • Kama - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    try on DMZ, see if it works, if it does there's some fixes we can put on your ip on your network to fix it

I agree, the symptoms point a lot towards a denial on a port. Unfortunately aside from the brisk feeling of excitement sitting in the DMZ with no a/v or personal firewall, it made no change. b:cry My gut tells me this is a Windows 7 security issue. The disconnect messages are immediate like PW tries to open a port and gets refused... but what else is there other than Windows firewall on a stock install of Win 7?

I'm going to go look for which ports/protocols PWI uses. Anyone know if ICMP is used during login?

EDIT:

Well, so far I found it uses port 29000 but no information if its using TCP, UDP or both. Also can't find if it uses ICMP during handshake. ICMP being blocked is just a guess. I am pingable with my firewall off.
  • Kama - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    bump =/ Again
  • Vko - Heavens Tear
    Vko - Heavens Tear Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I realy tot this topic was a joke...
    First of all the any of the original windows XP versions... s u c k.
    The XP is not being released so you free to get any old copy from a friend or buy it in a 3rd world nation.
    SO IT ALSO MEANS you can go to any of those sharing sites and get a moded version for gamers. there are even some good looking black ones that look very cool designed for gamers in mmorpg with priority to connections and faster speed with low video and other cute stuffs in a full version of XP with all the newest functions in any language.
    O__O so install that or anything like that, just burn a DVD! and install...
    then that is much more easier than buy a windows 7 to play in a 64mb video computer... Windows 7 would be consuming most of your system and is not really designed for your machine.
    O__O XP FTW or you can search google a bit more and use linux or an windows XP just for PW and then your cute windows 7 for music and video and w.e you need.
    O_O sorry if im trolling, i just still dont understand... im broke most of the time, and i format my PC monthly since i got one when i was little... do you think i pay the DVD everytime? do you think i had many problems? do you think a man with a black suit is at my door to take me to jail cuz of making Bill Gates Cry???????
    O_O i love you i love you... but this maintenance time is going to kill me...
    =__= i need coffee i need coffee... i was about to lvl up... =__=
    O_O -crawling back to bed-
  • Kama - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    I realy tot this topic was a joke...
    First of all the any of the original windows XP versions... s u c k.
    The XP is not being released so you free to get any old copy from a friend or buy it in a 3rd world nation.
    SO IT ALSO MEANS you can go to any of those sharing sites and get a moded version for gamers. there are even some good looking black ones that look very cool designed for gamers in mmorpg with priority to connections and faster speed with low video and other cute stuffs in a full version of XP with all the newest functions in any language.
    O__O so install that or anything like that, just burn a DVD! and install...
    then that is much more easier than buy a windows 7 to play in a 64mb video computer... Windows 7 would be consuming most of your system and is not really designed for your machine.
    O__O XP FTW or you can search google a bit more and use linux or an windows XP just for PW and then your cute windows 7 for music and video and w.e you need.
    O_O sorry if im trolling, i just still dont understand... im broke most of the time, and i format my PC monthly since i got one when i was little... do you think i pay the DVD everytime? do you think i had many problems? do you think a man with a black suit is at my door to take me to jail cuz of making Bill Gates Cry???????
    O_O i love you i love you... but this maintenance time is going to kill me...
    =__= i need coffee i need coffee... i was about to lvl up... =__=
    O_O -crawling back to bed-

Well, umm... we have had Ubuntu on the system for a while (which really hates the onboard video) but PW ran very poorly using Wine. Also, it's my girlfriend's computer, not mine and she will not accept Linux as her OS anymore. We found a decent 1GB Nvidia video card which we'll likely be putting in there in a few weeks as well as adding a 2GB stick of DDR2.

These upgrades, however, are irrelevant to the current issue as the FPS is quite acceptable while logged in. Windows 7 also is quick and responsive on the system (much more so than I expected too, prior to install) so it's not a lack of resources issue.

Your "modded 3rd world copies of XP for free" comments, I'm not touching with a 10 meter yard stick. b:shutup
  • Kama - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Well, I have fixed the problem. It seems that the Windows 7 peronal firewall flat out lies to you. When you open the firewall and click "Turn Windows Firewall on or off" -> "Turn off Windows Firewall (Not Recommended)" despite the fact you get a little securty popup telling you that your firewall is disabled and you are vulnerable, the firewall remains running and blocking traffic. b:angry

I decided to try disabling the firewall by stopping the service using "services.msc" and once I did that, bam the problem went away. I had already added a rule for elementclient.exe but not for pwprotector.exe. With the addition of pwprotector.exe to my firewall exceptions, I'm back in business. b:victory I went ahead and added patcher.exe too as recommended in other posts. b:surrender

=========================================

First lesson with Windows 7 learned - Don't trust them just because they say it's off.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Well, I have fixed the problem. It seems that the Windows 7 peronal firewall flat out lies to you. When you open the firewall and click "Turn Windows Firewall on or off" -> "Turn off Windows Firewall (Not Recommended)" despite the fact you get a little securty popup telling you that your firewall is disabled and you are vulnerable, the firewall remains running and blocking traffic. b:angry

I decided to try disabling the firewall by stopping the service using "services.msc" and once I did that, bam the problem went away. I had already added a rule for elementclient.exe but not for pwprotector.exe. With the addition of pwprotector.exe to my firewall exceptions, I'm back in business. b:victory I went ahead and added patcher.exe too as recommended in other posts. b:surrender

=========================================

First lesson with Windows 7 learned - Don't trust them just because they say it's off.
    yes, windows 7 lies sometimes. I disabled firewall through msconfig. and it will stay that way.

Good to hear your client is working again. if any more annoying issues arise, you know where to find help when you need it.
This discussion has been closed.