Knockback arrow altered?

Options
Sanctam - Dreamweaver
Sanctam - Dreamweaver Posts: 328 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Archer
Hi, just a general question about the way knockback arrow works/worked. During grinding, I've come to use knockback arrow a ton. I've also found that it is extremely useful in interrupting spell casts, as it knocks the mob out of its attack range. Lately, however, when I knock back the mob it simply rechannels and attacks from the extended range, regardless of whether or not it can even attack from that range. This is different from what I'm used to, which is an interrupt and moving back into range by the mob.

So basically, knockback pushes the mob back, but it can still attack once from this maximum distance. This is new to me, but maybe it is simply the higher leveled mobs. Thoughts?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Sanctam - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• DarkHam - Harshlands
    DarkHam - Harshlands Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Maybe it started its spell before you knocked it back :o
  • Kotasha - Dreamweaver
    Kotasha - Dreamweaver Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I just rolled an archer over the past few days and was disappointed the knockback doesn't seem to stop channeling, so it's low levels as well. It seems more like a matter of luck if I can push them back far enough to get them out of range.

I had hoped it would work like the psychic's landslide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sanctam - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Haha I've tried it multiple times. It starts its little charging animation, gets knocked back out of the animation, sits there for half a second, and then insta-casts whatever attack it was about to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PandaXpresss - Harshlands
    PandaXpresss - Harshlands Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I just rolled an archer over the past few days and was disappointed the knockback doesn't seem to stop channeling, so it's low levels as well. It seems more like a matter of luck if I can push them back far enough to get them out of range.

I had hoped it would work like the psychic's landslide.

Psychic's landslide actually cancels channeling. Archer's knockback doesn't. And the reason you're getting hit is because of the very small lag. It's the same that if you ran away from a mob and it was right next to you it could still hit you with one attack even if you sprinted (apoth pots or bm sprint) away. It's the same with channeling. If you knock them back before channeling finishes then usually they can't hit you. But if you're a second late and hit them after channel finishes and they begin casting, they will probably hit you.
  • Sanctam - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Psychic's landslide actually cancels channeling. Archer's knockback doesn't. And the reason you're getting hit is because of the very small lag. It's the same that if you ran away from a mob and it was right next to you it could still hit you with one attack even if you sprinted (apoth pots or bm sprint) away. It's the same with channeling. If you knock them back before channeling finishes then usually they can't hit you. But if you're a second late and hit them after channel finishes and they begin casting, they will probably hit you.

That's the thing, I used to be able to stop them from channeling every time. Now, I can't. And I've been sure to do it a little earlier than I'm used to, with the same result.

I guess it doesn't really matter, but it's annoying to actually have to use pots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PandaXpresss - Harshlands
    PandaXpresss - Harshlands Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I don't know bout every time, but every attack has a chance to break channeling.

And there is a scenario that if the channeling party is some how out of range from the target (Has to be more than what you can run) before casting begins, I believe they stop channeling. This happens a lot if a mage were to distance shrink out of the way before a skill/spell starts.

So what might have been happening is that a mob starts casting from its max distance and you knockback right away. That would cause them to stall or not be able to cast.

If that's not the case, then... I'm out of ideas...
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Try hitting them earlier. Remember there is both channeling and casting and if you knock them back during casting you are too late. Casting actually starts alot earlier than you think. If you knock them back out of their range during channeling you will interrupt them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Sanctam - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Try hitting them earlier. Remember there is both channeling and casting and if you knock them back during casting you are too late. Casting actually starts alot earlier than you think. If you knock them back out of their range during channeling you will interrupt them.

Ahhh, maybe these mobs just have a shorter channeling and longer casting time than what I'm used to. Thank you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Technotic - Sanctuary
    Technotic - Sanctuary Posts: 591 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    if you use knock back if they're about to use an attack, it will finish the attack and then it will run back up.

psy's cancel enemy attacks with its knockback move as well as push it back making tide born better than everyone else once again XD another QQ
    Say my name 3 times, I dare you.

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
  • VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver
    VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    if you use knock back if they're about to use an attack, it will finish the attack and then it will run back up.

psy's cancel enemy attacks with its knockback move as well as push it back making tide born better than everyone else once again XD another QQ

And when exactly did this thread turn into another 'TB are OP' discussion? Honestly, if people like you aren't complaining about one thing then you'd find something else to ***** about.

Sins = squishiest melee class
    Psychics = squishiest ranged class

Just kill them before they kill you.b:bye

To OP: On my archer (when I still played my archer) I'd just remember about how close a mob got before they started channeling and then use knockback just before they got into range. Can't finish channeling if they never get to start.b:sin
    This alt has been brought to you by lkurei - Harshlands.
    I'm a guy. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    And when exactly did this thread turn into another 'TB are OP' discussion? Honestly, if people like you aren't complaining about one thing then you'd find something else to ***** about.

Pre 90 wizard/badly geared wizard = squishiest ranged class

To OP: On my archer (when I still played my archer) I'd just remember about how close a mob got before they started channeling and then use knockback just before they got into range. Can't finish channeling if they never get to start.b:sin

fixed...
    *cough white voodoo*
    also yesh me noticed that too.
    when me use WoTP they would defy the knockback and finish their skill...then fly backwards and then run forward again.
    b:chuckle
    but distance shrink = gets out of their cast range so me just use that instead.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    Options
    fixed...
    *cough white voodoo*
    also yesh me noticed that too.
    when me use WoTP they would defy the knockback and finish their skill...then fly backwards and then run forward again.
    b:chuckle

Correction accepted.b:surrender

I'd like to make a correction to your correction though. Most psychics don't bother with white voodoo and almost always have black voodoo on (in my limited experience). So, while a psychic can have more defense (sort of) than a similar level wiz, most of the time they won't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • Technotic - Sanctuary
    Technotic - Sanctuary Posts: 591 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

Psychics = squishiest ranged class

Sin = Archer in terms of armor and squishy
    Psy = Wiz in terms of armor and squishy
    Sin = 100% invisible
    Psy = Faster and more powerful attack than Wiz

So we have the same handicaps but you're more powerful and have things around the handicap
    Say my name 3 times, I dare you.

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Sin = Archer in terms of armor and squishy
    Archers have range on their side. Archers can kite or even kill their opponent before it reaches them. Sins can't.
    Psy = Wiz in terms of armor and squishy
    Point in your favor.
    Sin = 100% invisible
    Invisible to opponents with a lower awareness level compared to the sin's stealth level. Problematic at higher levels, especially with cat-like tread.
    Psy = Faster and more powerful attack than Wiz
    More powerful when black voodoo is used. Black voodoo makes them squishier than wizzies.
    So we have the same handicaps but you're more powerful and have things around the handicap
    Correction, they have the same handicaps and they both have different ways of getting around them.

I'd also like to point out that at -channeling gear doesn't have as great a benefit for psychics as it does for wizzies. Also, since there is currently no way to reduce cast speed and psychic skills, in most cases, have a shorter channeling speed compared to their cast speed (wizzies have the opposite: long channeling and short cast) then a wiz with -channeling will be doing the same or more damage than a similar level psychic but won't have to decrease his/her own defense level by 11.

And what's with the 'you're more powerful' bit? I have a level 70 veno, level 53 BM, level 36 wiz, level 31 archer, level 44 cleric, and a level 20 barb. Everyone is more powerful than everyone?

And we're getting quite off topic now. I'm sure that nothing I say will convince you that I'm right and nothing you say will convince me that I'm wrong so why don't we just leave this argument to die?b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I have noticed a similar issue with both stun and seal.

I have not managed to interrupt any monsters with either today, even when timing seems right.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    It is easier to interrupt channel with stun because stun is instant. Before the arrow hits and the mob takes damage he can be stunned. However, it still won't snap them out of cast if they're already in cast animation. I've had it stop channel but not cast i believe.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • stooix
    stooix Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

what he said
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

This +1.

It's all about timing. If you hit them one shot earlier, you'll interrupt. I've noticed this as well on my archer. If my timing is off, I'll get hit with magic attacks...if I'm really concentrating on timing my knockback, I won't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Lono_archer - Sanctuary
    Lono_archer - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    see look they`d fixed it for the psychics.b:shocked
    see how unfair that is........we got knock before them b:cry
    :P